Does 430EX have simple remote slave mode?

Started Jan 7, 2012 | Discussions
Suntan
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,124
Like?
Does 430EX have simple remote slave mode?
Jan 7, 2012

My buddy shoots with a 50d and a 430EX. He is interested in trying out off camera flash and is looking for some input.

I'm not overly familiar with the canon setup so could anyone tell me if the 430EX supports simple, off camera, optically triggered slave syncing with the pop-up flash on the 50d?

-Suntan

Canon EOS 50D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
kward
Regular MemberPosts: 122
Like?
Re: Does 430EX have simple remote slave mode?
In reply to Suntan, Jan 7, 2012

Suntan wrote:

My buddy shoots with a 50d and a 430EX. He is interested in trying out off camera flash and is looking for some input.

I'm not overly familiar with the canon setup so could anyone tell me if the 430EX supports simple, off camera, optically triggered slave syncing with the pop-up flash on the 50d?

-Suntan

Unfortunately, no. You can by a hotshoe based optical slave (wein, among others
makes some... around $30-$40). I'm contemplating this myself. The 60d supports

manual mode for the popup, not sure if the 50d does (my old 20d didn't). If the

pop up is only ETTL, then the optical slave won't work.. the ETTL preflash will fire
it too soon.

Ken

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,678Gear list
Like?
Re: Does 430EX have simple remote slave mode?

Yes and no. It does support off camera simple slave mode -- with a camera that has the ability to use it -- like the 7D. I have used mine in slave mode with the 7D just fine with both set on channel 1.

The 50D is not set up to trigger a slave flash, and it of course won't trigger with the built flash. The 50D can only work as a master control with the optional wireless trigger.

Suntan wrote:

-Suntan

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,496Gear list
Like?
60D and 7D only so far...

The 50D missed out on having built-in wireless E-TTL. Currently the only Canon DSLRs supporting this are the 60D and 7D. He has a couple options - purchase an E-TTL with master capability such as the 580EX II, or the ST-E2 wireless trigger. The ST-E2 mounts on the hotshoe and has an IR trigger. Unfortunately it's pretty pricey for what it is - I'd recommend another flash instead.

Mark

Suntan wrote:

-Suntan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads