POLL - which D800 model would YOU buy

Started Jan 7, 2012 | Discussions
perpoto
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?
Re: POLL - which D800 model would YOU buy
In reply to CriticalI, Jan 11, 2012

800sv

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike Cialowicz
Regular MemberPosts: 235Gear list
Like?
I'm still waiting on a D700s.
In reply to CriticalI, Jan 11, 2012

I still want a D700s... but unfortunately that's not going to happen.

 Mike Cialowicz's gear list:Mike Cialowicz's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Nikon D800 Sony a6000 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Teila Day
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,332
Like?
D800xv
In reply to CriticalI, Jan 11, 2012

CriticalI wrote:

This forum is ample evidence that varied requirements and desires exist for low res, high res, video and non-video solutions. We are all different. People bought lots of D700s (even after video became common) and people bought lots of 5Dmk2s even though the AF was, er, pants).

However, if Nikon could hypothetically make four 800 mark cameras for the same price of say $3500 by mixing and matching parts already developed, which would you choose....?

D800xv: 36MP, 5fps, HD video, D3s metering and AF
D800sv : 16MP, 8fps, HD video, D3s metering and AF
D800x : 36MP, no video, D3s metering and AF, built in GPS, high speed tethering
D800s : 16MP, no video, full D4 metering and AF

Assume build quality similar to D700 and 2 card slots and slower burst rate for x vs. s models because of file size.

Please reply using one of the above model numbers as the subject title. Some of you may want something different but humour me - just list what would be closest to the one you want, and qualify your response in the text.
--
Regards,
Steve

For printing large 40mp is pretty much the demarkation line to get you into the ballgame if you want to print close to a 280-290 ppi file. This is the area where you hear a lot of people using adjectives instead on quantifying what they consider a "great" print. I like numbers because it cuts out all the bs and gets straight to the point.

36mp will give about 24x16 at 300ppi. Not quite 20x30, but getting there. When printing a photograph of a family of six, their two dogs and a cat, an 8x10, or slightly larger just doesn't give the same impact and is so small for a framed family portrait .

Compare a family portraits printed large (20x30 starts large prints in my mind) taken a larger format camera compared to a D3x, 5d2 or 1DsIII (let alone a D3) and you'll see a difference.

This camera would give a real-world six inches of cropping latitude over a D4. Why not get the shot "right" in the first place correct? (ridiculous argument if I ever heard one) Because I don't want to have to switch lenses while hanging in a harness about the courthouse steps, shooting a bride in her dress with several lenses... not when I can shoot relatively wide, and crop in if needed for composition and still get near 300ppi for the result that prints roughly the size of what I'd get if I used a D4 or 1Dx AFTER cropping. But that's real-world and not forum fodder.

Video clips? Whether location or studio are great selling points as friends/family will look at the results of the shoot... but will watch the actual vid clip over and over again of the strobes popping, the "clack" of the shutter, the fans blowing the model's hair, the various outfits, makeup artists, model getting her hair prepped, etc.. So yes, I want the video as it's worked great for us with the 5d2. The power of video can't be denied as far as I'm concerned.

Metering? I mostly do it with a handheld meter so it's not at all critical for what I'd get this camera for and AF from the D3s would be just peachy for this type of work.
--
Teila K. Day

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 30,032
Like?
Re: a peculiar fixation of a strange mind
In reply to James Bligh, Jan 11, 2012

James Bligh wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

I have seen the threads before but I have not read them.

LOL

Why are you laughing?

Because your statement is amusing. Someone who lays down the law about a subject, but appears not to bother to read about it when presented the opportunity.

and yet you reserve to yourself the right to say what is right and wrong and say that people who disagree with you have a 'peculiar fixation of a strange mind'

I do not recall I have said what was right or wrong. I find you often did.

'All the evidence suggest, ceteris paribus, high pixel density same format sensors are noisier compared with low pixel density sensors'
That's not saying what is right or wrong?

my son who is an electrical/electronic engineering major may understand it better than I, but I may say I grasped the meaning somehow.

May you? How did you assess your grasping of meaning?

What I said was I grasped broad context of the writing. Assessment? Maybe next time.

You said you grasped the 'meaning', not the 'broad context of the writing'. back off'one more step, and you'll need to fess up that you didn't understand it at all.

Still I do not agree on some very basic premises

Though you don't fully understand it.

You may say that. I cannot know everything in every fields. I wonder you may differ.

No, I don't know everything in every field. I refrain form commenting if I don't know about it, or I ask questions.

for example comparing 100% images is wrong. If you downsize a high MP image what good is high MP?

Just perhaps it produces a better picture. What is the purpose of good lenses if not to make larger pictures? Shall we compare the resolution given by consumer lenses on A4 size images with pro grade lenses on A3 size images and declare the consumer lenses sharper?

Yes, if the pro grade lenses are mounted on higher pixel density sensor camera. I will compare 100% images but if you prefer to compare A3 with A4 so be it.

You didn't grasp the content of the question, did you? Since a good lens produces more resolution, by your standards should you not always be comparing it bigger than a poor lens. If not, why not?

You understand physics and know technicalities better than I but what we need here in dpreview is people like Carl Sagan rather than an Einstein.

I ain't no Einstein, and in fact what we could do with is all sorts of people that know what they are talking about in whatever capacity. You might think that Sagan was a better communicator and less of a physicist than Einstein, and you might be right, but the brilliance of Sagan's communication was not in playing with the truth to make it easier to communicate.

You know I had no intention of denigrating Sagan. Don't you?

Why should anything I said be taken as implying you were denigrating Sagan?

And I think ‘the brilliance of Sagan's communication was not in playing with the truth to make it easier to communicate.’ should be ‘the brilliance of Sagan's communication was in not playing with the truth to make it easier to communicate.’ Am I right?

My phrase was precise and what I meant.

You may become a Sagan. Of course if you wish to.

I would be extremely honoured if anyone ever put me in the same league as Sagan. It won't happen.

I knew it would be so but to find out you know your limitations is a revelation.

Only from the point of view of your lack of self awareness. Someone can be confident in what they do know without believing that they know everything.

P.S.: Charles Darwin had remarkable intuition although he didn't understand genetics and didn't even know the presence of DNA.

It just shows how little you understand. Einstein's work was not based on 'intuition' (even though he might have had it) - it was based on meticulous experiment and scientific analysis. And while Darwin himself wasn't much of a mathematician, he knew when he needed it and he turned to those who could provide it and understood the limitations he had to work with. It's a bit disingenuous to suggest that any old ignoramus is comparable with Darwin. Darwin wasn't an ignoramus, he was a genius. Or to put it more bluntly. Darwin's work was a model of scientific investigation and challenging prejudice and he was right. Your approach is no investigation and following prejudice, and you are wrong.

Speech should be spoken on a podium. However eloquent your speech may be it will not move people's mind because you are arrogant, judgmental and insult people. You lack common sense. What do you think you are?

Your assessment of me, given the quality of your assessment of everything else, does not bother me at all. As for being 'arrogant', 'judgemental' and 'insulting', this little nugget in our exchange did not come from me.

I will not jump to a conclusion about the state of your mind but it seems that clearly something strange is going on with your mind.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=40282940

Manages to be 'arrogant', 'judgemental' and 'insulting' all in one go, does it not?

Remove the beam in your own eye.
--
Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,990Gear list
Like?
D8000. And tell them to fix the flash issues N. has.
In reply to bobn2, Jan 12, 2012
n/t
 jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,725Gear list
Like?
Re: POLL - which D800 model would YOU buy
In reply to CriticalI, Jan 12, 2012

D800s features with the D800X sensor!

CriticalI wrote:

This forum is ample evidence that varied requirements and desires exist for low res, high res, video and non-video solutions. We are all different. People bought lots of D700s (even after video became common) and people bought lots of 5Dmk2s even though the AF was, er, pants).

However, if Nikon could hypothetically make four 800 mark cameras for the same price of say $3500 by mixing and matching parts already developed, which would you choose....?

D800xv: 36MP, 5fps, HD video, D3s metering and AF
D800sv : 16MP, 8fps, HD video, D3s metering and AF
D800x : 36MP, no video, D3s metering and AF, built in GPS, high speed tethering
D800s : 16MP, no video, full D4 metering and AF

Assume build quality similar to D700 and 2 card slots and slower burst rate for x vs. s models because of file size.

Please reply using one of the above model numbers as the subject title. Some of you may want something different but humour me - just list what would be closest to the one you want, and qualify your response in the text.
--
Regards,
Steve

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Roland Wooster
Senior MemberPosts: 1,966
Like?
D800xv
In reply to CriticalI, Jan 12, 2012
-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BCB
BCB
New MemberPosts: 19Gear list
Like?
D800sv
In reply to pmelsa, Jan 12, 2012
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
James Bligh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,346
Like?
Re: a peculiar fixation of a strange mind
In reply to bobn2, Jan 12, 2012

bobn2 wrote:

James Bligh wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

and yet you reserve to yourself the right to say what is right and wrong and say that people who disagree with you have a 'peculiar fixation of a strange mind'

I do not recall I have said what was right or wrong. I find you often did.

'All the evidence suggest, ceteris paribus, high pixel density same format sensors are noisier compared with low pixel density sensors'
That's not saying what is right or wrong?

Right or wrong may be a little different from true or false.

my son who is an electrical/electronic engineering major may understand it better than I, but I may say I grasped the meaning somehow.

May you? How did you assess your grasping of meaning?

What I said was I grasped broad context of the writing. Assessment? Maybe next time.

You said you grasped the 'meaning', not the 'broad context of the writing'. back off'one more step, and you'll need to fess up that you didn't understand it at all.

Don't play with words. For confession I will need a service from a Father not from you.

for example comparing 100% images is wrong. If you downsize a high MP image what good is high MP?

Just perhaps it produces a better picture. What is the purpose of good lenses if not to make larger pictures? Shall we compare the resolution given by consumer lenses on A4 size images with pro grade lenses on A3 size images and declare the consumer lenses sharper?

Yes, if the pro grade lenses are mounted on higher pixel density sensor camera. I will compare 100% images but if you prefer to compare A3 with A4 so be it.

You didn't grasp the content of the question, did you? Since a good lens produces more resolution, by your standards should you not always be comparing it bigger than a poor lens. If not, why not?

Think the meaning of ceteris paribus. When you compare you'd better make other variables constants and leave one variable only for a matter of convenience.

You may become a Sagan. Of course if you wish to.

I would be extremely honoured if anyone ever put me in the same league as Sagan. It won't happen.

I knew it would be so but to find out you know your limitations is a revelation.

Only from the point of view of your lack of self awareness. Someone can be confident in what they do know without believing that they know everything.

Do you think you are infallible?

P.S.: Charles Darwin had remarkable intuition although he didn't understand genetics and didn't even know the presence of DNA.

It just shows how little you understand. Einstein's work was not based on 'intuition' (even though he might have had it) - it was based on meticulous experiment and scientific analysis. And while Darwin himself wasn't much of a mathematician, he knew when he needed it and he turned to those who could provide it and understood the limitations he had to work with. It's a bit disingenuous to suggest that any old ignoramus is comparable with Darwin. Darwin wasn't an ignoramus, he was a genius. Or to put it more bluntly. Darwin's work was a model of scientific investigation and challenging prejudice and he was right. Your approach is no investigation and following prejudice, and you are wrong.

Speech should be spoken on a podium. However eloquent your speech may be it will not move people's mind because you are arrogant, judgmental and insult people. You lack common sense. What do you think you are?

Your assessment of me, given the quality of your assessment of everything else, does not bother me at all. As for being 'arrogant', 'judgemental' and 'insulting', this little nugget in our exchange did not come from me.

I will not jump to a conclusion about the state of your mind but it seems that clearly something strange is going on with your mind.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=40282940

Manages to be 'arrogant', 'judgemental' and 'insulting' all in one go, does it not?

Remove the beam in your own eye.

I do not think you are a believer. Don't commit sacrilege. What do you think you are?

-- hide signature --

Decision, decision, we are the slaves of decisions we made inadvertently.

May God forgive us our imperfections!

Dust to dust, what on earth are we entitled to claim?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VivaLasVegas
Senior MemberPosts: 1,210
Like?
16mp vs 36mp
In reply to James Bligh, Jan 12, 2012

Nikon should make both to defend off the rumored 5D3. A lot of fanboys here has been upset lately due to 1DX xtreme performance that every critical voice is trollish.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads