I'm getting an A35!

Started Jan 7, 2012 | Discussions
maxeythecat
Regular MemberPosts: 323Gear list
Like?
I'm getting an A35!
Jan 7, 2012

A belated Xmas present for yours truly which shall be in my possession by Tuesday! I know it's not up there with the "big boy SLTs" but since I'm upgrading from my trusty A230 I think it'll do for now. Just the idea of those wonderful 5.5 fps, that hand held twilight mode n' those 16 mps really puts a smile on my face.......

maxeythecat's gear list:maxeythecat's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A230 Sony SLT-A35 Sony SLT-A57 Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) +9 more
Sony Alpha DSLR-A230 Sony SLT-A35
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Landscapephoto99
Senior MemberPosts: 2,452
Like?
Re: I'm getting an A35!
In reply to maxeythecat, Jan 7, 2012

It's a great camera. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gary Eickmeier
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,446
Like?

Yes, it's a good camera, and probably more capable than the 230. Truly high resolution and it gets you into the latest Sony technology with the SLT live view and all of the neat modes. There are some flaws, which I have written about extensively here, but you may not notice them if I just keep my trap shut.
--
Gary Eickmeier

BayAreaWZ
Senior MemberPosts: 1,189Gear list
Like?

I'm loving mine. Picked one up instead of the la-ea2 adapter for nex. The 5.5fps with af works great.

BayAreaWZ's gear list:BayAreaWZ's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
TJM2712
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?

Good choice I'm sure you'll love it, it's a joy to use. Take a look at Flickr, and do a search for A35 to see the sort of IQ you can expect - you'll be pleasantly surprised.

maxeythecat
Like?
In reply to Gary Eickmeier, Jan 7, 2012

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

Yes, it's a good camera, and probably more capable than the 230. Truly high resolution and it gets you into the latest Sony technology with the SLT live view and all of the neat modes. There are some flaws, which I have written about extensively here, but you may not notice them if I just keep my trap shut.
--
Gary Eickmeier

Don't think there's any probability about it....my new '35's gonna make my 230 look like a milk wagon. Don't get me wrong....I love that lil clunker and I've gotten some really beautiful pictures, but sad to say it's at the tail end of it's life and frankly I've outgrown it. No worries... I'm very much aware of the 35's little quirks as I've been reading your posts and anything else that's been said here, but that's something I can deal with for now...I can always trade up for the 65 or sigh the 77 later on, so it's all good.

I know one thing, I'm gonna have one helluva lot of fun trying out all my lenses on it...the idea of my big Tamron 200-400 hooked up to that 16mps and that 7fps gives me the shivers somethin' FIERCE. My Minolta 50mm f/1.7? The thought of that crazy good lens on an A35 ...maaaaaaan, I can hardly wait!

Just got a notice saying that my new "axe" is shipping Monday morning, so I should have it by Wed. or Thurs. at the latest...YIPPIEEEE!!

Sony Alpha DSLR-A230 Sony SLT-A35 Sony SLT-A57 Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) +9 more
Gary Eickmeier
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,446
Like?
In reply to maxeythecat, Jan 8, 2012

I must say it is an exciting available light camera. And the beauty of the SLT is that you can dial in values such as exposure and WB and see what you are getting in real time. If you add flash to the equation you have to shoot and chimp, but it is also a lot more helpful to have the SLT and be able to see in either the finder or the LCD.
--
Gary Eickmeier

Chimere
Senior MemberPosts: 1,058
Like?
I'm getting an A35!
In reply to Gary Eickmeier, Jan 8, 2012

The fixed LCD panel of the A35 would cause me some concerns - I never understood why Sony would eliminate the swivel joint on that model.

Granted, since the event of the EVF I use the LCD panel less, but it is still a major feature for me. To be able to get "down to earth" shooting at flowers, insects, making candid snaps at unsuspecting targets ... the articulation of the LCD panel is an important feature. It allows us to produce a perspective which is often more realistic than from "top down".

One should consider with much care if it is worth saving a few $'s by abandoning that specific feature and give the nod to the A35 instead of stepping up to the A55.

Chimere

PW Rocket S
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chimere, Jan 8, 2012

I personally don't miss the swivel LCD. I find that I can record more steady videos when I use the EVF (and manually select with local AF).

However I do wish that my A35 has an electronic level and double the cache for 6fps RAW+JPEG....but since this body is so affordable I can easily upgrade once I out-grow this camera in a couple years.

Chimere wrote:

The fixed LCD panel of the A35 would cause me some concerns - I never understood why Sony would eliminate the swivel joint on that model.

Granted, since the event of the EVF I use the LCD panel less, but it is still a major feature for me. To be able to get "down to earth" shooting at flowers, insects, making candid snaps at unsuspecting targets ... the articulation of the LCD panel is an important feature. It allows us to produce a perspective which is often more realistic than from "top down".

One should consider with much care if it is worth saving a few $'s by abandoning that specific feature and give the nod to the A35 instead of stepping up to the A55.

Chimere

PW Rocket S's gear list:PW Rocket S's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM
Ray Maines
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,249Gear list
Like?
In reply to maxeythecat, Jan 8, 2012

maxeythecat wrote:

A belated Xmas present for yours truly ... ... I'm upgrading from my trusty A230 I think it'll do for now. Just the idea of those wonderful 5.5 fps, that hand held twilight mode n' those 16 mps really puts a smile on my face.......

Good on ya!! It sounds like a great camera and I really hope your happy with it. Post lots of pictures.

-- hide signature --

I live, and try to learn. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much.

Tacoma, Washington, USA

Ray Maines's gear list:Ray Maines's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +11 more
Chimere
Senior MemberPosts: 1,058
Like?
In reply to PW Rocket S, Jan 8, 2012

Yes, almost forgot about it. Before the event of the artificial horizon in the A55 I had immense trouble getting the horizon 100% horizontally - for reasons not fully understood. It appeared to me that the the image in the viefinder / LCD panel in the A350 was a bit skewed, had to take often 4 ... 5 pictures to get it right. Quite a problem when taking landscapes. Perhaps the A35 is better aligned ?

Chimere

maxeythecat
Like?
In reply to Chimere, Jan 8, 2012

I'll be finding that out tomorrow cos that's when my A35 arrives. Soon as I get that baby all charged up, I'm gonna take it out for it's "maiden voyage" up to the park or to the hummingbird feeders next door and see what it can do. Soon as I can, I'll pop back on here and let you guys know what I think of it.

Petes
Contributing MemberPosts: 976
Like?
In reply to maxeythecat, Jan 9, 2012

I've had one for a couple of weeks and am generally pleased. A few comments: the kit 18-55 is rubbish so I replaced it with the Tamron 2.8 17-50; very very sharp lens and 200 dollars cheaper than Sony's 2.8 16-50. The EVF is pretty good except in high contrast situations. Shady areas are sometimes too dark to see very much while strong highlight areas are washed out. If light is fairly even then it works well. Inside or total shade it works well. It's when there is strong contrasting light that it has trouble.

The only real downside is with the battery. I've followed all the recommendations in the manual to extend battery life but it seems the best it will produce is 150 to 200 shots per charge. Carrying a second battery is a must if you plan to do any extensive shooting.

The important stuff like IQ (with the Tamron), color, contrast I would rate as excellent. I shot exclusively in raw and aperture priority and do PP in LR and Photoshop.

-- hide signature --
lehill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,256Gear list
Like?
In reply to maxeythecat, Jan 9, 2012

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
--
Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5100 Zoom Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +20 more
TJM2712
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?
In reply to Petes, Jan 9, 2012

The only real downside is with the battery. I've followed all the recommendations in the manual to extend battery life but it seems the best it will produce is 150 to 200 shots per charge. Carrying a second battery is a must if you plan to do any extensive shooting.

Really??

I get at least 350 - 400 shots per charge with my A35, sounds to me like you got a duff battery. I'm really impressed by the battery life.

Petes
Contributing MemberPosts: 976
Like?
In reply to TJM2712, Jan 9, 2012

I hope that's the case; I'll order another one. Thanks for the tip.

-- hide signature --
JeffS7444
Regular MemberPosts: 280
Like?
In reply to Petes, Jan 9, 2012

Be patient: A new lipo battery may need a few charge / discharge cycles before it reaches it's full capacity.

I have had (much) pricier cameras, but I really like the A35 and felt right at home with it almost immediately. The kit lens is what it is, but at middling apertures and focal lengths, I don't have much to complain about, especially considering that it's what $100-150 as part of the kit? Main gripe is that the correct lens hood isn't included, and they don't go out of their way to tell you the part #.

maxeythecat
Like?
My first thoughts and my first shots......
In reply to JeffS7444, Jan 11, 2012

Got the new camera yesterday...haven't taken it out for the grand spin yet but I have snapped a few round the "ol' plantation":

My first impression? Smaller than expected, about a third smaller than my A230 in fact but since I've got small hands anyway that's not a real problem. Autofocus, very snappy as expected, the high ISO a jaw dropper for someone used to nothing higher than 3200, a burst speed that's absolutely to die for...so far I'm quite liking this. The way you can actually see what your shot's gonna look like via either the viewfinder or the live view screen on the back, especially in manual mode...
WOW.

Now, a few minor downsides.....the diopter adjustment is a bit of a pain as it's so much smaller than what I'm used to on my A230 and not very easy to set....as has been said by others on this forum, there's a significant amount of lag time after you take a shot, especially when in burst mode..the screen'll go dark for a moment or two and if you're shooting a bird in flight or any other fast action it's pretty easy to lose track of your subject as a result. The EVF is gonna take some real getting used to....it's very different than the OVF in my A230 and frankly the jury's still out on it for the time being. The battery life is pretty short as expected...indeed, a second battery is more than a necessity.

I'm gonna take this baby out for the "grand tour" tomorrow n' stretch it's legs a little.....so far, my lenses seem to work pretty well, even the Sigma which from what I've read isn't supposed to...I'll pop back on in a few more days and let you guys see the results.

lilia24
Forum MemberPosts: 81Gear list
Like?
Re: My first thoughts and my first shots......
In reply to maxeythecat, Jan 11, 2012

nice pics and colors, i'm thinking of getting a35 too so shall be happy if u share more pics/eperience with it!

maxeythecat
Like?
Re: My first thoughts and my first shots......
In reply to lilia24, Jan 11, 2012

Not to worry, I'll be posting lots more in the coming days and weeks. One thing that has surprised me is that after all the hoo hah about Sigma lenses not working with SLTs etc. is that my old Sig 70-300 DG APO macro zoom works just fine....a little slow AF wise and not a very good piece of glass overall but it does work. I will say this...the picture quality of this camera really separates the good glass from the bad. Simply put, if the glass is crap this lil machine amplifies it's flaws tenfold. I could get away with using a less than stellar quality lens on my A230, but on an A35 (or any other camera with a better IQ) it's not possible. The kit lenses I got with my first camera are a good example of this, especially the 18-55....ick. My Minoltas are holding up well though...my 50mm f/1.7 performs very well as does my "baby beercan" and my 100-200mm, but sad to say my Tamron 200-400 LD 175 ain't doing so hot. Not a real surprise there, though....unless you've got LOTS of light it's not exactly the best to shoot with (tons of purple fringing, very slow AF), so it looks as if I'm gonna have to go with something else.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads