Flash Bender: anyone has tried off-brand?

Started Jan 7, 2012 | Discussions
RayG123
Contributing MemberPosts: 556
Like?
Flash Bender: anyone has tried off-brand?
Jan 7, 2012

Hello,

I was browsing ebay for some flash bounce/reflector piece and came across this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lite-flat-Flash-Diffuser-Bender-DSLR-camera-bendable-bounce-card-flag-LARGE-/150675949396

or search for "Lite flat Flash Diffuser Bender"

I know there are branded one available and also can DIY using foam. I wanted to find out how this particular product is? If anyone has used this please share your experience.

Thanks,
Ray

Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 5,794Gear list
Like?
Re: Flash Bender: anyone has tried off-brand?
In reply to RayG123, Jan 7, 2012

What makes the FlashBender work are the three bendable rods inside it. I would worry about the durability of those in any knockoff.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RayG123
Contributing MemberPosts: 556
Like?
In reply to Sailor Blue, Jan 7, 2012

about durability and correct reflection material, that's the reason I asked question if anyone has "third party" product (similar to ROUGH, i guess)

Thanks,
Ray

Sailor Blue wrote:

What makes the FlashBender work are the three bendable rods inside it. I would worry about the durability of those in any knockoff.

jjlad
Senior MemberPosts: 1,875Gear list
Like?
In reply to RayG123, Jan 7, 2012

actually this is similar to what I made myself and used for the 39 person group portrait shot I posted here a few minutes ago.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1025&thread=40257788

The difference is mine allows me to shape the top part independently from the lower so it can look more like a hood. I find that allows me to focus it light a bit more for subjects further away.

Mine took some running around to get materials plus an hour to sew up 2 of them, so it looks to me like the ebay unit at is for many people ..a great and useful bargain. There is just no comparison in the quality of the light with and without the diffusers and these seem to work so much better than the omni-bounce type because I don't lose light all over the place and don't deplete the flash batteries as quickly.

So ...looks like a good product from where I sit.

jj
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jjlad/sets/

jjlad's gear list:jjlad's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Nikon D7100
Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 1,834
Like?
great
In reply to RayG123, Apr 7, 2013

RayG123 wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lite-flat-Flash-Diffuser-Bender-DSLR-camera-bendable-bounce-card-flag-LARGE-/150675949396

Excellent.

I was really hesitant to spend $40 (!) on the Rogue Flashbender but my searches were coming up with nothing (note to self: when searching online, put a space between the words flash and bender).

Thanks to this topic, I will buy the Kiora K-B23 from our Chinese friends and see how that goes.

Sidenote:

$40 for a Flashbender (!).

Filed under "extortion"

Nikonparrothead
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,782Gear list
Like?
Re: great
In reply to Mahmoud Mousef, Apr 7, 2013

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

Excellent.

I was really hesitant to spend $40 (!) on the Rogue Flashbender but my searches were coming up with nothing (note to self: when searching online, put a space between the words flash and bender).

Thanks to this topic, I will buy the Kiora K-B23 from our Chinese friends and see how that goes.

Sidenote:

$40 for a Flashbender (!).

Filed under "extortion"

Extortion: The obtaining of property from another induced by wrongful use of actual or threatened force, violence, or fear, or under color of official right.

as per: http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/extortion

Why would a company charging what it feels it needs to charge to cover: production, advertising, distribution, R&D and profit be appropriately filed as "extortion?"

When durability (as Sailor Blue noted) is factored in, the Rogue product may be a better deal or a break even situation.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D3S +11 more
Mahmoud Mousef
Like?
extortionate pricing on accessories
In reply to Nikonparrothead, Apr 7, 2013

Nikonparrothead wrote:

Extortion: The obtaining of property from another induced by wrongful use of actual or threatened force, violence, or fear, or under color of official right.

Are you having fun just listing one definition of extortion? See definition 3 here:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/extortion

You've heard it used in this context, I'm sure. Consult your favourite non-legal dictionary, it's there.

Why would a company charging what it feels it needs to charge to cover: production, advertising, distribution, R&D and profit be appropriately filed as "extortion?"

A company can charge whatever it feels necessary (and the retailers can mark it up on top of that). And a customer is free to call it extortion

Just like some companies charge $30 for a lens hood or $80 for a speed ring or $300 for a softbox or $15 for a lens cap or $40 for a simple camera case or...

And just like Nikon can charge you to get your sensor re-mapped out of warranty (or inside warranty) instead of providing the facility (for free) in-camera like so many others have for the past 10 years. Yes, they are free to charge what they want and I'm free to call it extortion

The patent office can charge thousands for common-sense patents that should never be patentable too. And I am in my rights to call it extortion. But I think we are seeing the slow demise of overpriced accessories these days, with more buying online and direct-ordering from China. They are getting smarter and bypassing their local retailers, and more getting into photography as a result of it.

When durability (as Sailor Blue noted) is factored in, the Rogue product may be a better deal or a break even situation.

The Chinese product could be better, the same or worse.

We don't know unless we compare. Have you compared them? That's the kind of info I'm after, not assumptions or shills shilling for one company or the other. Not suggesting anyone is doing that here, by the way. Just saying.

So it can go both ways here. Lots of things could be better. We will never know if we don't try them. So I intend to try this first. If it satisfies me, then I've won. If not, well then better luck next time.

I made a similar thing years ago actually, out of thick insulated bendable wire and paper (and masking tape to keep the wire bonded to the paper).

I'm paying for the more durable materials used here and getting the delivery thrown in for $15+ dollars. Speaking of delivery, if I tried to send something like this overseas from Australia, I doubt $15 would cover the postage to China. Another example of extortion.

The Flashbender is $40 ($39.95), excluding delivery. You can't convince me there's much R&D in this.

Advertising costs I couldn't care less for; lots of good info travels cheaply on the internet and large advertising budgets and distributor agreements and traditional wholesaler/ retailer mark-ups are excessive enough as they are when it comes to accessories.

I can buy a manual flash unit from China for under $50, delivered; the Flashbender is frigteningly close to the same price and it's a far simpler device. That puts things in a more real context. Who pays for the R&D of the Chinese company who made the flash unit? Who pays for the materials? What about their advertising? I still do.

The accessories biz is where the real extortion happens. While complex devices like cameras and flash units from smaller companies get marked-down to ridiculous cheapness, with many of them selling for well under $100 and some under $50.

I'd rather reward those doing real work. This is a simple device that should come with a price to match. It doesn't, so I shop elsewhere.

It's that simple.

Bobby Handal
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,855Gear list
Like?
Re: cheap ones on sale
In reply to Mahmoud Mousef, Apr 7, 2013

I bought the knock offs and they work great. They bend nice and are well constructed. Highly recommended.

-- hide signature --

www.photoexpedition.net
www.fotoclubhonduras.com
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/bobhandal/BANNERXPEDITION1.jpg

Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Nikon D5100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +40 more
Mahmoud Mousef
Like?
Re: cheap ones on sale
In reply to Bobby Handal, Apr 8, 2013

Bobby Handal wrote:

I bought the knock offs and they work great. They bend nice and are well constructed. Highly recommended.

Great to hear

Can't wait to receive mine.

Nikonparrothead
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,782Gear list
Like?
Re: extortionate pricing on accessories
In reply to Mahmoud Mousef, Apr 8, 2013

All fascinating reads, none of which in my opinion applies to your argument. I respect your right to spend your money however you wish. And I hope the modifiers you buy work well for your needs. (I don't own anything in the flash bender system and never planned on buying into it.)

But stretching the meaning of language in time cheapens language itself (third definitions are third and not primary for a reason). Extortion is a fairly powerful word. Using it to describe what you feel is overpricing for an item cheapens that. It is your right to discount R&D, shipping, etc. in determining what you feel is a fair price for an item.

But it is also my right to point out that you discount the value of a word.

Good  luck and  enjoy.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D3S +11 more
bravozulu
Contributing MemberPosts: 763Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nikonparrothead, Apr 10, 2013

When I worked as a photojournalist in Tokyo, the Japanese photographers would take a 5x6" index  card. Then cut a tail on it, attach it to the back of a strobe with rubber bands and adjust the angle.

Worked like a charm. When it got funky due to use, they tossed it and made another. As one of the technicians at the Nikon Service Center warned me, "Every time you walk into a camera store, they are after your wallet." Same is true for Amazon or other online stores. And this guy was a Nikon employee!

bravozulu's gear list:bravozulu's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +5 more
Mahmoud Mousef
Like?
In reply to RayG123, Apr 12, 2013

http://www.linkdelight.com/014132-2in1-Camera-Flash-Foldable-Reflector-Light-Beam-Snoot.html

Just discovered some for $10.90 delivered.

Polyester and Nylon ClothMaterial: Approx 225x 215mmReflector size: 245 x 285mmTotal size: 116gWeight:

http://www.linkdelight.com/014131-2in1-Foldable-Reflector-Light-Beam-Snoot-for-Nikon-Canon-Flash.html

Smaller version for just slightly less cost.

Polyester and Nylon ClothMaterial: Approx 225x 110mmReflector size: 245 x 178mmTotal size: 65gWeight: Might be worth a shot. I have one coming from elsewhere, but if anyone is eager, that's another cheaper option.
24Peter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,943
Like?
In reply to bravozulu, Apr 12, 2013

bravozulu wrote:

When I worked as a photojournalist in Tokyo, the Japanese photographers would take a 5x6" index  card. Then cut a tail on it, attach it to the back of a strobe with rubber bands and adjust the angle.

Worked like a charm. When it got funky due to use, they tossed it and made another. As one of the technicians at the Nikon Service Center warned me, "Every time you walk into a camera store, they are after your wallet." Same is true for Amazon or other online stores. And this guy was a Nikon employee!

Yeah, just today I took the Velcro tape off my 430EX after 5 years. I used the Velcro to hold all manner of bounce flash attachments (this was before they had those removable Velcro straps.) Now I use a black rubber band and a bunch of 4"x6" white paper index cards. Works like a charm...

Mahmoud Mousef
Like?
In reply to Mahmoud Mousef, 11 months ago

Mahmoud Mousef wrote:

http://www.linkdelight.com/014132-2in1-Camera-Flash-Foldable-Reflector-Light-Beam-Snoot.html

I have had a chance to compare the one linked above ( inferior ) with the Kiora K-B23 reflector.

The Kiora is by far the better of the two!

The LinkDelight one (also selling on eBay) is comparatively crappy. It has a sewn-on label branded "Life of Photo" on the back. The reflective material is very poor quality. My advice would be to avoid buying it and instead insist on the Kiora K-B23 if you want a quiality bendable reflector.

Both models bend well enough though; it's just that you don't want the junky reflector material from the one linked above, which is crude and plasticky, and prone to separating threads at stress points and simply not as smooth and reflective.

There are also other Kiora models in smaller sizes. It's a safe buy and while I haven't tried the Rogue Flashbender to compare directly (or paid the exorbitant price), I'm perfectly satisfied with the Kiora K-B23 and unsatisfied with the one above.

fabianbono
Regular MemberPosts: 189Gear list
Like?
In reply to RayG123, 11 months ago

RayG123 wrote:

Hello,

I was browsing ebay for some flash bounce/reflector piece and came across this.

I know there are branded one available and also can DIY using foam. I wanted to find out how this particular product is? If anyone has used this please share your experience.

Thanks,
Ray

Ray, I have that one since almost one year and works perfect. The rods still shaping without problems and leather surface still white.

This is my almost always on flash diffuser for social events.

I also buy other version on ebay that is white on one side and silver reflective in the other side.

Then you can get a harder light.

But first one is the best up to now. Use it with speedlite flash head at 45 degrees to get the best amount of light to the subject.

fabianbono's gear list:fabianbono's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads