Cloning SSD drive to SSD drive problems

Started Jan 6, 2012 | Discussions
MikeMiami
Forum MemberPosts: 92Gear list
Like?
Cloning SSD drive to SSD drive problems
Jan 6, 2012

I am running an Intel based desktop with Kingston 64gb ssd for my OS and programs and a 1tb WD hdd for my photos and videos and music files. My 64 ssd is getting full so I purchased a 128gb ssd by Kingston to have more space. I used the included software from Kingston to clone the 64 to the 128.

When I try to boot up the system I get an error message saying that the bootmgr cannot be found.

I followed the instuctions correctly and want to know why the bootmgr is not cloned.

Is there something I need to do first before the clone? Is this a known problem issue when cloning ssd to ssd?

Any ideas on what to do next?

Many thx to those who can help!

MikeMiami's gear list:MikeMiami's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM | C Canon Pixma MX340 Canon Pixma Pro9000 +9 more
Bob Collette
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,662Gear list
Like?
Re: Cloning SSD drive to SSD drive problems
In reply to MikeMiami, Jan 6, 2012

Mike, I assume you're running Win7. Unless you take special steps when installing Win7, it creates a hidden partition which contains the bootloader. In all likelihood, you cloned just the OS partition without cloning the hidden (boot) partition as well. Using a program such as Partition Wizard Home Edition, look at the partitions on the old drive and the new one. I'm guessing you'll find that the new one is missing the hidden partition containing the boot loader.

Bob Collette's gear list:Bob Collette's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hotdog321
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,070
Like?

Bob's advice is always dead on.

That said, when I cloned my HD to a SSD, I used the no-brainer Apricorn kit:

http://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Notebook-Drive-Upgrade-ASW-USB-25/dp/B002EUCU3O/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

It cloned everything on my Win 7 64-bit machine: OS, CS5, PhotoMechanic and all the hidden junk.

The kit comes compete with software and the connector cable.

MikeMiami
Like?
In reply to hotdog321, Jan 6, 2012

Thanks hotdog. I checked out the program you linked to Amazon but the product says its for laptops or netbooks, my system is a desktop.

Bob, yes I am using Win7 64. Do you or anyone know of a fix, trick or a program to clone that WILL clone everything, hidden or not?

Canon EOS 70D Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM | C Canon Pixma MX340 Canon Pixma Pro9000 +9 more
Bob Collette
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,662Gear list
Like?

While I've never used it (I have Acronis TrueImage 2010), I've heard good things about Clonezilla ( http://clonezilla.org/ ) and it's free. Another option would be to download and install the trial version of Acronis TrueImage Home 2012, make a boot CD from within Acronis, and then use it to clone the old SSD to the new one.

Bob Collette's gear list:Bob Collette's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 +4 more
Denis247
Senior MemberPosts: 1,181Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bob Collette, Jan 6, 2012

Why not just do a clean instal onto the new ssd?

MikeMiami
Like?
In reply to Denis247, Jan 6, 2012

Denis247 wrote:

I was trying to avoid the PITA of reinstalling my programs, especially Windows and Photoshop. My CS5 is the upgrade version, upgrading from a used copy of CS4. I remember trying to activate the used CS4, it took me a while to convince Adobe I purchased it legally, problem was the original owner never deactivated it before selling it. It was an eBay purchase.

Not even sure what hassle Microsoft will give me if I have to reinstall Windows 7 and then try to activate it a second time.

Wayne Larmon
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,172
Like?
Maybe Paragon Migrate OS to SSD

MikeMiami wrote:

Denis247 wrote:

I was trying to avoid the PITA of reinstalling my programs, especially Windows and Photoshop. My CS5 is the upgrade version, upgrading from a used copy of CS4. I remember trying to activate the used CS4, it took me a while to convince Adobe I purchased it legally, problem was the original owner never deactivated it before selling it. It was an eBay purchase.

Not even sure what hassle Microsoft will give me if I have to reinstall Windows 7 and then try to activate it a second time.

Maybe Paragon Migrate OS to SSD 2.0
http://www.paragon-software.com/technologies/components/migrate-OS-to-SSD/

Paragon stresses that their more recent software is SSD aware. Also, the writeup for "Paragon Migrate OS to SSD" specifically states that it knows about the Windows 7 partitions.

You will probably have to reactivate any Adobe products regardless. In my experience, any time I transfer Windows to a different drive, all the Adobe products require reactivation. Knowing this, I always deactivate all my Adobe software before cloning to a different hard drive. (Windows itself has never complained.)

Windows is more intelligent with this--I think it lets you change three different hardware items before it loses activation. And the "three items" count times out. So it is only "change up to three items" for about a month. Then the count goes back to zero. I made a lot more than three changes to my old XP machine. But spread out over several years.

I haven't tried "Paragon Migrate OS to SSD" myself. I don't have any SSDs. But I have used the free version of Paragon Backup to transfer Windows to different mechanical HDs successfully on several different machines.

Wayne

pocketfulladoubles
Senior MemberPosts: 1,986
Like?
Re: Maybe Paragon Migrate OS to SSD
In reply to Wayne Larmon, Jan 6, 2012

I cloned a boot drive from an OCZ Vertex 3 to an Intel 510 and it worked perfectly. I used Acronis True Image 2011.

scrambler2
Contributing MemberPosts: 583
Like?

If you have a spare disk, you can simply use the built in Windows 7 System Image backup and restore, it works fine and will backup.restore everything.

You first do a system image backup of everything (by default W7 will select both the boot and the system partition) to your external USB drive. You create the bootable recovery DVD, Then swap the old drive for the new one, and do a restore from the image stored on the external drive.

Denis247
Senior MemberPosts: 1,181Gear list
Like?
In reply to scrambler2, Jan 6, 2012

+1

I've used this a few times and it works good. I just recommended a clean install so that any 'crud' built up over time doesn't get transferred to the new disk.

Ideally, a clean install first, then do a system image right away to use as a good baseline for future system restores.

scrambler2 wrote:

If you have a spare disk, you can simply use the built in Windows 7 System Image backup and restore, it works fine and will backup.restore everything.

You first do a system image backup of everything (by default W7 will select both the boot and the system partition) to your external USB drive. You create the bootable recovery DVD, Then swap the old drive for the new one, and do a restore from the image stored on the external drive.

Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,444
Like?
simple (only a command or two from a Linux console)

Basically, you can make an exact sector by sector copy of one drive to another using a command like this from Linux:

su
ddrescue /dev/sda /dev/sdc

That would copy all sectors from the first drive in your system to the second drive in your system. It's really simple to do that kind of thing, and using that kind of utility ignores the file systems and partitions entirely (you end up with an exact copy of the drive, regardless of partition layout, file system types, etc.

You can also use a command called dd instead (with slightly different parameters). But, I usually use ddrescue for that purpose.

But, you'll need to get a better understanding of how your drives are named. See if this is easy enough to understand:

Step 1:

Download isorecorder (free) and install it. It's a utility that adds a menu choice to Windows Explorer (how you view folders under your "Computer" icon) so that you can burn ab .iso file to CD or DVD so that it's bootable. More about it here:

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Direct link to the download for 64 Bit Win 7. Download it and instal it:

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/download/IsoRecorder/ISORecorder31x64.msi

Step 2.

Download the .iso file for 32 Bit Mepis 11 (it will also work fine with 64 bit CPUs, and we're only going to use it for some of the preinstalled utilities). Here's a direct link to it:

ftp://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/linux/mepis/released/SimplyMEPIS-1.5G_11.0.00_32.iso

Step 3:

Insert a blank DVD in your DVD drive, then navigate to your Downloads Folder using Windows Explorer (your Computer icon), right click on the .downloaded .iso file and use the menu choice you'll see to "Copy Image file to CD/DVD" (that's the menu for isorecorder that you installed earlier).

Step 4:

Reboot your PC so that you boot into the Mepis DVD. If it does not boot into it automatically, then you don't have the CD/DVD drive set as your first boot choice. Wiith some PCs, you can press a function key to get into a boot menu (usually ESC, F12 or similar). Or, you can go into your BIOS Setup and make your DVD drive the first boot choice in the list.

Step 5:

After you boot into the Mepis DVD, login to the desktop using user name demo, with password demo.

Then, Click on the menu button (icon in the bottom left corner of the system tray) and go to System> Konsole (Terminal Program).

That will open a Window that looks like a DOS command promot.

Step 6:

Type this to determine how your drives are recognized. Enter root as the password when prompted (the root password is root when running from a Live DVD):

su
fdisk -l

That will give you a list of drives and partitions in your system. The first drive will be /dev/sda, the second drive will be /dev/sdb, the third drive will be /dev/sdc, etc. Note the a, b, c at the end.

It will also show you partitions. For example, /dev/sda1 is the first partition on the first drive (/dev/sda), /dev/sda2 is the second partiton on the first drive, /dev/sda3 is the third partition on the first drive, /dev/sdb1 is the first partition on the second drive, /dev/sdb2 is the seoond partition on the second drive, etc.

You don't care about partitions. Just note the drive sizes for /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc, etc., so that you know which one is your 64GB drive and which one is your new 128GB drive.

Then, do this to clone from one drive to another. In this example, I'm copying from /dev/sda to /dev/sdc (substitute the correct drive labels for the way your drives appear, using their sizes as a guide to make sure you have the right source and destination). Enter root as the password when prompted:

su
ddrescue /dev/sda /dev/sdc

That would perform a sector by sector copy of /dev/sda (the first drive in the system) to /dev/sdc (the third drive in the system) When it's finished, just click on the start button (icon in the left bottom corner of the panel) and select shutdown.

Then, remove the original drive, and plug in the drive that was your target into the same place. Then, reboot into Windows on the new drive

At that point, Windows will see it exactly the same way it saw the original drive (same partition layout, boot loader, etc.), since the ddrescue command was just making an exact sector by sector copy of the source drive.

So, if you want to expand the size of the Windows partition on it (to make it larger since you'd have unused space on the new drive), just right click on the last partition using Windows Disk Management and select the menu choice to expand it.

-- hide signature --

JimC

MikeMiami
Like?
Re: simple (only a command or two from a Linux console)
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Jan 7, 2012

Thanks everyone for the help. I now have a few options to experiment with.
Jim. special thanks for the extra effort with that lengthy process.

nail33
Regular MemberPosts: 129
Like?
Re: Maybe Paragon Migrate OS to SSD
In reply to Wayne Larmon, Jan 7, 2012

@Wayne Larmon:

How do you deactivate Adobe software.........and reactivate after cloning a HD? Thanks in advance.

Wayne Larmon
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,172
Like?
Deactivate from 'Help/Deactivate....'
In reply to nail33, Jan 7, 2012

nail33 wrote:

@Wayne Larmon:

How do you deactivate Adobe software.........and reactivate after cloning a HD? Thanks in advance.

For (I think) CS3 on, from the "Help" menu, choose "Deactivate..." Then there you need to tell it whether or not to erase the serial number. Don't choose this option--this is for when you are selling a computer and want to wipe the activation before you transfer the computer to a new owner.

Adobe phrases this question differently in different versions. I think in CS5, it is phrased in terms of do you want to "suspend" activation. This is what you want--if you don't "suspend" activation, it deletes the serial number and you will either have to

1. reinstall from scratch
2. re-enter the serial number the next time you start it.

I don't know which. I just know that I've always carefully read the deactivate screen and figure it out.

CS5 will auto-activate the next time you run it, so you don't need to do anything more. I think CS3 will ask you if you want to reactivate, when you run it after deactivating.

I'm not sure about other Adobe software--I only have PhotoShop and InDesign and this is how they work. The license rules are that you can have it installed and activated on two different computers (but you can only run one copy at a time), presumably your desktop and laptop machines. You can have it installed and deactivated on more then two computers, if needed. You just can only have two activated at any one time.

If you have an Adobe product that doesn't have a "Deactivate" option under the Help me menu, then I don't know. I guess you have to be prepared to call Adobe if it refuses to reactivate after doing the disk copy. In any event, it is prudent only do anything involving activation during Adobe's business hours. No particular good comes from doing this on, say, late Friday evening, and finding out that your programs won't reactivate, but nobody is answering phones at Adobe until Monday morning.

Wayne

nail33
Regular MemberPosts: 129
Like?
Re: Deactivate from 'Help/Deactivate....'
In reply to Wayne Larmon, Jan 8, 2012

Thank you Wayne.

RonFlash
Senior MemberPosts: 1,486
Like?
Try EaseUS Todo Backup Free
In reply to MikeMiami, Jan 12, 2012

Try EaseUS Todo Backup Free.

I used to use Acronis, then it started getting worse reliablity with each update.

EaseUS Todo Backup is free, fully featured, and has worked great for me. It is NOT crippled. It has received great reviews too.

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads