50mm F1.4 - Is it worth fixing?

Started Jan 6, 2012 | Discussions
gmike Junior Member • Posts: 47
50mm F1.4 - Is it worth fixing?

Hi,

I was on vacation when my 50mm F1.4 fell out of my bag onto a concrete floor. I picked up the len and it appears that the glass is still good. It will not focus. When I shake it, it sound like something got loose. My question is: Do you think its worth getting it fixed?

Mike

Color Stream Forum Member • Posts: 84
Re: 50mm F1.4 - Is it worth fixing?

A very similar thing happened to me as well. Something was loose! It did auto focus though.

When I looked at the front element, I saw the B+H filter smashed to hek, but the front element was fine. To make sure, I sent it into the Canon Irvine CA center, and they said that the focus ring was replaced because it was loose. When you drop the 50mm f1.4, it can loosen the focus ring for some reason. I am not an engineer, so I am not totally technically savvy about all the mechanical parts to the 50mm f1.4 lens.

The report they sent back to me was 3 parts replaced and the two parts tightened. I cannot be certain, but I think it was three parts total. They also cleaned the elements. The lens was only a few weeks old when this happened. I used the repair card to cover the damage, and it cost nothing. I had the lens back in 7-8 days if I remember right.

You might just want to send the lens in to give it a try, and see what they can do for you. Canon Repair / Tech Support is the best in the world! I believe they take really good care of their Customers.

Anyway, that is my opinion.

• Color Stream

talico Contributing Member • Posts: 614

I followed a step by step process on the internet and fixed mine. It required just a few small screw drivers and some elbow grease. Mine didn't have anything rattling in it though. It was just really hard to focus. There is a spiral shaped plastic element in there that gets bent and you can bend it back. I think it voids the warranty though and you should be good at stuff like this if you want to try it.

Send it in if you are hesitant at all. I heard this is a common issue with the 50mm and they even have a reduced rate for it. Not sure though.

Tom

My photos http://www.alicoatephotography.com

talico's gear list:talico's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +5 more
healer81 Regular Member • Posts: 127
nope

I had something similar but not as bad. tried to fix it but kept on failing.
The cost of the servicing will be $100++

I suggest to get a 50mm 1.8 or get Sigma 50 1.4, the build is better but of course cost more..

Otaraka Forum Member • Posts: 84
Re: nope

I did this in Australia and it cost about $200 Oz, a new lens was about $400 so it was worth it, but not a great deal. Dont think any reduced rate was involved, but it works perfectly now, before I used to get some funny focussing results at 1.4 sometimes.

Would love to have the link to where you can repair it yourself, Ill go that route if it happens again, and buy a Sigma if I dont succeed.

Otara

jacktorrance Regular Member • Posts: 116

Get an up to date price for the lens used but in good condition.
Get a quote for repair from a Canon Service Centre.
Evaluate whether it's worth paying the repair cost.

OP gmike Junior Member • Posts: 47

Since I am a member of Canon's CPS, maybe with my discount it will reduce my cost for repair. I just don't want to spend the money if the repair will not be successful long term.

Montana500 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,094

Tough choice.

One gets the feeling that a customer never truly owns a 50 1.4, but instead makes a down payment of $350, and then continues making $100 payments every couple of years.

-- hide signature --
Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 13,463

Montana500 wrote:

One gets the feeling that a customer never truly owns a 50 1.4, but instead makes a down payment of $350, and then continues making $100 payments every couple of years.

{grin}

arty H Senior Member • Posts: 1,500

I bought an extended warranty with mine when I got it.

Dude Steve Regular Member • Posts: 251

Montana500 wrote:

Heh. That's a perfect description. I gave up on the lens, though. It sits broken in my collection as a reminder to not buy another one.

Dude Steve's gear list:Dude Steve's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS R Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
irm Veteran Member • Posts: 3,030

Mine went back under warranty all but one time, 4 trips to Canon from memory.

After it rolled of the table last time I put it back together myself, but not that confident about the cleanliness of the glass though. I did buy another one and treat it with kid gloves. The focus drive bends very easily under normal use.

I agree down payment comment.
--
my 2 exposed flashcubes worth.

Ian the pbase supporter.
http://pbase.com/ianm_au

Please check my profile for equipment list.
An amateur with dreams of being a good to excellent photographer.

irm's gear list:irm's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +13 more
th3_n3wb13 Senior Member • Posts: 1,634

My Canon 70-200 f4 non-is fell from about 7ft on concrete in Union Station. I was going down from train. I wasn't aware my bag behind my bag was opened. The glass cracked and it wouldn't focused. I think I posted a pic before. Glad my hood was mounted in reverse which absorbed some of the shock. If not, I'm sure it could have been very bad. Anyways, I paid $119.

JimStrutz Contributing Member • Posts: 614
Just got mine back

Mine broke from a minor drop, so I sent it in to Canon's Irvine CA facility along with another lens. Their flat rate for lens repair was $85 plus $10-15 shipping. Got them both back in short order and promptly sold the 50 f/1.4 for $275. So yes, it is worth fixing, even if only to sell it.

I also have an original 50 f/1.8, the one with the metal mount, that I prefer. It's not as fast or smooth, but has been far more reliable.

OP gmike Junior Member • Posts: 47
Re: Just got mine back

I decide to send it to Canon. I'll see what they have to say.

Thank you all for your comments.

MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 14,431

7 years no issues

You just need to keep your hands away from the front moving parts

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EOS RP +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads