28mm Sigma Mini-Wide awesome legacy bargain - tests

Started Jan 5, 2012 | Discussions
Les Hall
Senior MemberPosts: 1,383Gear list
Like?
28mm Sigma Mini-Wide awesome legacy bargain - tests
Jan 5, 2012

Think I paid $25 for this one. Great typical quality Sigma build. Fairly close focus at about 0.22M, 0.7' . Macro is stated as 1:4.5. Performs great straight from f2.8 all the way through.

The last shot is the closest focus at 100% AND at f2.8! All shot at ISO 200 with a Canon FD sample with a Fotodiox adapter on my new lens testing bench now with Windex Electronics, not recommended for use on lenses - for that get WIndex Lens.

OK now I really must go clean those f$%^&* gutters!

Les

-- hide signature --

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx

http://www.leshall.com

El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,986Gear list
Like?
Re: 28mm Sigma Mini-Wide awesome legacy bargain - tests
In reply to Les Hall, Jan 5, 2012

Very nice, always good to see a bargain that can take good pictures. Though I wouldn't consider an aerosol can an "exciting" subject.....but nonetheless.

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Les Hall
Like?

Here is the lens on the 5N. Handles nicely. Focus and aperture a little stiff.

-- hide signature --

Groucho Marx

Les Hall
Like?
In reply to El Matadurr, Jan 5, 2012

Oooh I have something special for the next test - Oh yes, you will like this one. Maybe tomorrow. Do you like things that go bang?

Thanks, Les

El Matadurr wrote:

Very nice, always good to see a bargain that can take good pictures. Though I wouldn't consider an aerosol can an "exciting" subject.....but nonetheless.

-- hide signature --

Groucho Marx

Letsgokoulos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,466
Like?

I have the 24mm f/2.8 Super-Wide II. Closest focus distance is 0.18m and macro stated at 1:4.

Similar build and size to the Mini-Wide, Good handling and the performance should be similar too. I will try to provide a few pictures whenever I find time and light... if you are interested.

Only the price is unfortunately slightly higher., but I felt more comfortable with this focal length.

I'll be expecting tomorrow's bang !

Les Hall
Like?
In reply to Letsgokoulos, Jan 5, 2012

I would like your lens too. As far as I am concerned wider is better...

Yes tomorrow will be exciting.

Les

Letsgokoulos wrote:

I have the 24mm f/2.8 Super-Wide II. Closest focus distance is 0.18m and macro stated at 1:4.

Similar build and size to the Mini-Wide, Good handling and the performance should be similar too. I will try to provide a few pictures whenever I find time and light... if you are interested.

Only the price is unfortunately slightly higher., but I felt more comfortable with this focal length.

I'll be expecting tomorrow's bang !

-- hide signature --

Groucho Marx

El Matadurr
Like?

That lens looks very nice on the 5n, I might have to consider this, if only they made it in f/2 or lower...oh well.

And yes! Me likey boom boom.

Les Hall wrote:

Oooh I have something special for the next test - Oh yes, you will like this one. Maybe tomorrow. Do you like things that go bang?

Thanks, Les

El Matadurr wrote:

-- hide signature --

Groucho Marx

Letsgokoulos
Like?
In reply to El Matadurr, Jan 6, 2012

As promised, and since I got good light, here are pictures of and from the Sigma Super-Wide II 24mm f/2.8 :

f/2.8 :

f/4 :

f/5.6 :

f/8 :

f/11:

f/16 :

f/22 :

picture taken at the minimum focus distance at f/2.8 (which is more 10-12 cm, rather than the previously announced 18 cm, as a matter of fact) :

and to finish, a low-light picture at f/2.8 :

As you can see, the lense is sharp even wide open, corners are sharp as well.

I got it for 60 € 3 months ago, although it is more expensive (150-200 €) on most regular sales sites.

Marc

El Matadurr
Like?
In reply to Letsgokoulos, Jan 6, 2012

Hey thanks for those shots, it's a shame that wide open the bokeh looks odd (I see a lot of obvious rings with bright dots in the middle with highlights). Stopped down to f/4 and beyond it look very nice. I may have to pick up this lens if I can find a deal...again though, shame its max aperture isn't f/2. I would have loved that.

Letsgokoulos
Like?

I am afraid you will have a hard time finding a 24mm f/2, unless you are prepared to pay quite a high price... and I am not even sure those would be sharp wide open, so you most likely will loose the stop you had gained if not more.

With regards to the bokeh 'rings', I do not find that odd since it is in the middle of very dark areas with rather harsh light. Unless you pixel-peep, you would not even see the 'rings'.

Anyway, I sure have seen better bokeh, but mainly much worse, particularly for wide angle lenses.

Marc

El Matadurr wrote:

Hey thanks for those shots, it's a shame that wide open the bokeh looks odd (I see a lot of obvious rings with bright dots in the middle with highlights). Stopped down to f/4 and beyond it look very nice. I may have to pick up this lens if I can find a deal...again though, shame its max aperture isn't f/2. I would have loved that.

El Matadurr
Like?
In reply to Letsgokoulos, Jan 6, 2012

Letsgokoulos wrote:

I am afraid you will have a hard time finding a 24mm f/2, unless you are prepared to pay quite a high price... and I am not even sure those would be sharp wide open, so you most likely will loose the stop you had gained if not more.

Figures...oh well. I'm really interested in the Nikon 50mm f/1.2 AI-s. Being manual everything anyway, it'd be just like using it on a Nikon camera with my 7. Nice they still produce it new today. Sharpest Nikon lens at f/2, period.

With regards to the bokeh 'rings', I do not find that odd since it is in the middle of very dark areas with rather harsh light. Unless you pixel-peep, you would not even see the 'rings'.

Perhaps my views were a tad subjective.

Anyway, I sure have seen better bokeh, but mainly much worse, particularly for wide angle lenses.

You make a good point. I kinda forgot how wide it was.

El Matadurr
Like?

I just realized the bokeh problem was an optical illusion. Upon viewing the f/2.8 at full-size, I now see they are very even circles, with minimal point light showing. Also, tack-sharp on that bird house. Great stuff!

Letsgokoulos
Like?

It is a nice little and easy-to-use lens. If you manage to get a good adapter or if you correct it properly to achieve infinity, it is a pleasure for street and landscape shooting.

Marc

El Matadurr wrote:

I just realized the bokeh problem was an optical illusion. Upon viewing the f/2.8 at full-size, I now see they are very even circles, with minimal point light showing. Also, tack-sharp on that bird house. Great stuff!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads