NEX-5 with Minolta 58mm 1.2

Started Jan 5, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
tinman948 New Member • Posts: 1
NEX-5 with Minolta 58mm 1.2

I just bought a NEX-5 body so I could use my Minolta lenses but mostly the Rokkor 1.2 lens.

I already have the SR to E mount adapter.

The other camera I used was a Minolta XK

Can someone here help me to setup or point me to the right forum so I can correctly setup this camera?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Letsgokoulos
Letsgokoulos Senior Member • Posts: 1,773
Re: NEX-5 with Minolta 58mm 1.2

You can use the Search function to find an answer to your question... Anyway, here are the basics for using manual lenses:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1042&thread=40218253

Marc

Poweruser Contributing Member • Posts: 505
Re: NEX-5 with Minolta 58mm 1.2

tinman948 wrote:

I just bought a NEX-5 body so I could use my Minolta lenses but mostly the Rokkor 1.2 lens.

I already have the SR to E mount adapter.

The other camera I used was a Minolta XK

Can someone here help me to setup or point me to the right forum so I can correctly setup this camera?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Simply get a Minolta SR / MC / MD -> Nex Adapter.

Or even better, stock up some film and get back to real photography rather than "playing around".

A good site on Minolta for digital is http://www.rokkordigital.com btw

-- hide signature --

aka Pedro Valente

Arize Junior Member • Posts: 47
Re: NEX-5 with Minolta 58mm 1.2

Were you able to use the 58MM 1.2 on your Nex? What's your experience? I'm considering buying 1 for my 5N. Thanks.

 Arize's gear list:Arize's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R II Sony 20mm F2.8 Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/28 +7 more
abrahavt Regular Member • Posts: 149
Re: NEX-5 with Minolta 58mm 1.2

It works fine with the NEX 5N. Has the best bokeh of any lens I have ever used. Good luck finding one for less than $500

 abrahavt's gear list:abrahavt's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 II Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +11 more
Arize Junior Member • Posts: 47
Re: NEX-5 with Minolta 58mm 1.2

Haven't seen any less than $600. The lens inflation that's going on has gotten insane. The Canon 55 1.2 Fd is a cheaper alternative, but I would prefer the Rokkor. Will wait till I find a good deal.

 Arize's gear list:Arize's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R II Sony 20mm F2.8 Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/28 +7 more
Lng0004 Senior Member • Posts: 2,602
Re: NEX-5 with Minolta 58mm 1.2

$425 Buy-it-now shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-MINOLTA-MC-ROKKOR-PG-1-1-2-f-58mm-CAMERA-LENS-/260959288190?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3cc262bb7e#ht_520wt_1396

Arize wrote:

Haven't seen any less than $600. The lens inflation that's going on has gotten insane. The Canon 55 1.2 Fd is a cheaper alternative, but I would prefer the Rokkor. Will wait till I find a good deal.

philnk New Member • Posts: 14
Re: NEX-5 with Minolta 58mm 1.2

I have a 58mm 1.2 on my NEX-5n and use focus peaking at 1.2 setting a LOTS ! Wonderful. Got lens on Craigslist attached to a mint SRT-102 for $60. Hate to gloat but I got burned so much in the past.

neonexxer Regular Member • Posts: 131
Re: NEX-5 with Minolta 58mm 1.2

I'm watching a Rokkor MC 58mm 1.4 for my 5N on eBay right now... my MC adapter is already on its way, so I'm hoping I'm successful with my bid for this.

Question to the wiser ones here... has anyone put the 1.4 head to head with the 1.2? Rokkorfiles mysteriously doesn't have the 1.4 in its extensive list, and I'm wondering how they stack up against each other for center sharpness and bokeh (in that order... hehe) I've seen indivdual reviews and even some nice Youtube videos shot with these lenses, but not an outright shootout. Does anyone have any insight? (and my apologies to the OP if this isn't in the spirit of the original post..)

 neonexxer's gear list:neonexxer's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A37 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +10 more
philnk New Member • Posts: 14
Re: NEX-5 with Minolta 58mm 1.2

I own the MC 1.2 and MD 1.4. The price to results ratio is better for the 1.4.

I like the 1.2 better because it is heavier, more impressive and creamy background, and bigger focus ring. If you like that gloat feeling, the 1.2 is king.

Annex Regular Member • Posts: 194
Re: NEX-5 with Minolta 58mm 1.2

The 58 1.4 is a good lens for sure but its not in the same class as the 58 1.2.

If you're unsure probably go for the 1.4 as you can always sell it again and upgrade.

 Annex's gear list:Annex's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
neonexxer Regular Member • Posts: 131
Re: NEX-5 with Minolta 58mm 1.2

Thanks for the input, guys!

Annex wrote:

The 58 1.4 is a good lens for sure but its not in the same class as the 58 1.2.

If you're unsure probably go for the 1.4 as you can always sell it again and upgrade.

Gotcha.. That's what I'm doing right now

philnk wrote:

I own the MC 1.2 and MD 1.4. The price to results ratio is better for the 1.4.

I like the 1.2 better because it is heavier, more impressive and creamy background, and bigger focus ring. If you like that gloat feeling, the 1.2 is king.

LOL... ok, may as well go for broke! If my bid on ebay falls thru, I'll gun for the 1.2 next

 neonexxer's gear list:neonexxer's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A37 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +10 more
Tutivillus New Member • Posts: 20
Re: NEX-5 with Minolta 58mm 1.2

I use a 58mm f/1.4 Rokkor with my NEX-5n quite a bit. Love it. Here's one test shot, wide open, in broad daylight using a Tiffen .9 ND filter.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads