my thoughts on Leica lens and camera bodies

Started Jan 3, 2012 | Discussions
Jono Slack
Forum ProPosts: 20,165Gear list
Like?
Re: my thoughts on Leica lens and camera bodies
In reply to Irakly Shanidze, Jan 5, 2012

Irakly Shanidze wrote:

This is exactly what I mean: with an optical rangefinder I can focus on a backlit strand of hair from fifteen feet away, when everything is pitch-dark around.

You'd be able to do that with focus peaking too . . . even if it wasn't in the centre of the frame.

-- hide signature --
 Jono Slack's gear list:Jono Slack's gear list
Ricoh GR Leica M-Monochrom Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Leica T
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
VladimirV
Senior MemberPosts: 2,659
Like?
In reply to Irakly Shanidze, Jan 6, 2012

Irakly Shanidze wrote:

This is exactly what I mean: with an optical rangefinder I can focus on a backlit strand of hair from fifteen feet away, when everything is pitch-dark around.

As was mentioned before you can do this much better and easier using peaking or Mode 2 on a NEX or GXR camera and you can go even further than that in low light while still being able to focus.

VladimirV
Senior MemberPosts: 2,659
Like?
In reply to Godfrey, Jan 6, 2012

Godfrey wrote:

Your point of view is reiterated on DPR approximately a dozen times a day. It's not different, it's just more myth to bore people to tears.

Myth as in the M9 is the perfect camera and Leicas are the perfect tools for street photography or the whole myth of why Leica still exists?

Yeah, I get bored easily when it comes to people rehashing why Leicas are so superior without and proof or evidence but then I accept their opinion although I might question it every now and then.

Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 27,241
Like?
In reply to VladimirV, Jan 6, 2012

VladimirV wrote:

Godfrey wrote:

Your point of view is reiterated on DPR approximately a dozen times a day. It's not different, it's just more myth to bore people to tears.

Myth as in the M9 is the perfect camera and Leicas are the perfect tools for street photography or the whole myth of why Leica still exists?

Yeah, I get bored easily when it comes to people rehashing why Leicas are so superior without and proof or evidence but then I accept their opinion although I might question it every now and then.

As I said in the Ricoh forum, there is no purpose to discussing this topic with you.
You will be ignored from this point on.
End of discussion.
--
Godfrey
http://godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com

monoblocks
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?
In reply to MilSooper, Jan 6, 2012

It is interesting, what is really a digital Leica?

Leica M is the most well engineered, respected, trustful and proven camera one can find for decades. The integration between the M bodies and the exquisite, beautiful M mount lens is perfect. And this is where photography is born and lives on. However, the present generation of photography as we know it works on electronics and program. It dominates because of advancement in electronic technology and production methods. Leica is caught on the cross road.

To many, including myself, I still would like to keep and own the M bodies. Though I cannot afford a M9, it is very much my dream camera.

But these beautiful mechanical bodies will soon be outdated by the sensor and electronics housed inside. As electronic technology advances at such a pace, there is no way Leica can or should make a new, expensive body to contain the new pieces of sensor every couple of years (already slow compare to senor and focusing technology). And if not, I am sure there soon will be cameras who take pictures more beautiful than the M bodies at a fraction of the price. Compared with a M8, Ricoh GXR M mount is getting close if not quite there yet?

My suggestion, can Leica work to replace the outdated sensor and upgrade the accompanying electronics as technology improves with customers' existing M bodies? And at a reasonable cost of course. Rather than designing new bodies with new electronics once a few years, they just provide service to customers who have existing M bodies to change the senor and electronics to newer version.

If this proves to be practical, it sure is a way to keep the Leica M system more in tune to main stream development and cost less to its followers.
--
monoblocks

monoblocks's gear list:monoblocks's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
MilSooper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,869Gear list
Like?
In reply to monoblocks, Jan 6, 2012

Ahh but mainstream they are not.
Thankfully.

I use two of them constantly. For work and pleasure. The M8.2 and an M9.
I wouldn't trade them for anything out there.
And I've used a bunch since they were invented both DSLR and all the rest.

MilSooper's gear list:MilSooper's gear list
Leica M8.2 Olympus E-5 Leica M9-P Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads