Canvas Enlargements with D700

Started Jan 2, 2012 | Discussions
nsack
Regular MemberPosts: 200
Like?
Canvas Enlargements with D700
Jan 2, 2012

I've done a lot of canvas enlargements of D700 images generally not larger than 24x36 which come out great. I'm looking into a 36x60 (height will be cropped a bit) canvas print. Has anyone tried this and what was the outcome?

Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
IanDavis
Regular MemberPosts: 395Gear list
Like?
Re: Canvas Enlargements with D700
In reply to nsack, Jan 3, 2012

While I haven't personally used a D700 for it, a client of mine has used Perfect Resize (formerly Genuine Fractals) to take an image of mine (from an Olympus camera) and blow it up to 80 x 60.

IanDavis's gear list:IanDavis's gear list
Olympus E-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BWhite
Regular MemberPosts: 356
Like?
In reply to IanDavis, Jan 3, 2012

I'm curious as to where you're having the canvas prints done?

omoise
Regular MemberPosts: 430
Like?

I printed a 24x44" image from a D80 that looks incredible, then I have a similar one from a D3 and the results are superb. I don't thing you will have a problem.

But if have any doubts and don't want to waste the money, ask them for a test print of a small part of your actual 30x60 image and see if you are happy with it.

-- hide signature --

Regards,

Ovidiu

dwight3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,015Gear list
Like?

I don't do any prints, particularly on canvas, but since you have done canvas prints maybe you can explain something.

I would think that the weave on the canvas will probably be much larger than the pixel size on the photo until you get into really large prints. How does that impact the print? Do you get several pixels on each canvas element (don't know just what to call the bumps formed by the weave)? Do pixels get lost in the space between the canvas elements? Why do you worry about resolution when printing on canvas?

dwight3's gear list:dwight3's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S52c Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +9 more
The Big One
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,426Gear list
Like?

As mentioned above, canvas is very forgiving of resolution since the weave of the canvas it so large. A friend of mine recently made a large canvas print from a 3MP P&S which turned out great.

Cheers
--
--Wyatt
http://photos.digitalcave.ca
All images (c) unless otherwise specified, please ask me before editing.

The Big One's gear list:The Big One's gear list
Nikon D60 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +2 more
Milner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,102
Like?
In reply to nsack, Jan 4, 2012

ive printed on A0 thick paper, not canvas, without a problem, looks great

omoise
Regular MemberPosts: 430
Like?
In reply to dwight3, Jan 4, 2012

Dwight3, you are precisely right. Printing on canvas allows you to enlarge a lot more than paper because of the nature of the media. The canvas threads produce a "natural" pixelation that hides small enlargement issues. There must be a limit though, but I have not hit it yet.
--
Regards,

Ovidiu

broodrooster
Contributing MemberPosts: 874Gear list
Like?

Did a 65 inch wide canvas of a shot taken with D700 and it looked amazing, even up close. Don't worry, it will perform fine, upres with Photoshop will work fine too.

Good luck!

joejack951
Senior MemberPosts: 2,458Gear list
Like?

nsack wrote:

I've done a lot of canvas enlargements of D700 images generally not larger than 24x36 which come out great. I'm looking into a 36x60 (height will be cropped a bit) canvas print. Has anyone tried this and what was the outcome?

My wedding-photographer friend says that his printer needs files with only 100 dpi resolution for canvas prints. My wife and I have a 30" x 40" canvas print from our wedding day printed from a 12 MP 5D Mark I file (his assistant's camera at the time) and it looks beautiful even quite closeup. You'll be a little short on pixels to get 100 dpi but at that size I doubt it will matter much. One of the resizing programs will likely do the trick for such a small up-res.

joejack951's gear list:joejack951's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
RomanJohnston
Forum ProPosts: 18,523Gear list
Like?
I print 40" x 60" often with my D300
In reply to nsack, Jan 5, 2012

As long as your best shot and editing practices are up to snuff....should be a cake walk for the D700 which is also 12MP.

Oh...and my prints are NOT on canvas, which is tougher to print on as it doesn't hide printing / uprezzing issues as easily.

Roman
--
"The only rule of composition is....that it works."

We are officially live!!!!
http://www.commercialfineart.com/
Old Web Site
http://www.pbase.com/romansphotos/

nsack
Regular MemberPosts: 200
Like?
Re: I print 40" x 60" often with my D300
In reply to RomanJohnston, Jan 7, 2012

Great feedback. I'm getting the TIFF file ready to upload. I'll let you know how it turns out.

krikman
Regular MemberPosts: 309Gear list
Like?
In reply to nsack, Jan 7, 2012

Don't worry at all. Print canvas material effectively hides pixel structure as natural low pass filter. I usually print 100 dpi but don't care up until 50 dpi on canvas.
4200 pixels at 100 dpi is 42" wide.

David Carrico
Regular MemberPosts: 281
Like?
In reply to RomanJohnston, Jan 7, 2012

RomanJohnston wrote:

As long as your best shot and editing practices are up to snuff....should be a cake walk for the D700 which is also 12MP.

Oh...and my prints are NOT on canvas, which is tougher to print on as it doesn't hide printing / uprezzing issues as easily.

Roman
--

Roman,

I assume you enlarge before printing? If so, what algo/software do you use to up-res? Thanks

David

RomanJohnston
Forum ProPosts: 18,523Gear list
Like?
In reply to David Carrico, Jan 7, 2012

No, I do not.

Best shot practices, Tripod, cable release, good glass, MLU...etc as applicable.

I convert in raw at native size and 360 PPI.

I post process as normal. And sharpen a little extra crispy (the print process calms that down a bit) and a tad over saturated (again, print process and paper vs. monitor will calm that down a touch)

If printing to a printer with a RIP or printing to a LightJet, Chromira, or Durst Lambda printer I do zero upres and let the print process take care of it. It an do it much better than I could ever put together (I have tested this).

I think you would be suprised at my upres technique for those without a RIP.

1. I uprez to the next size up IE: if 40" x 60", I uprez to 60" x 90" @240PPI bicubic smoother.

2. Then I downrez to the final size (40" x 60") @180PPI.

3. Now come the "by the seat of the pants" part. I then sharpen using the NIK tool, then remove noise with the NIK define tool, and then do one last superfine sharpening pass using Smart Sharpen at about 200 for Amount, .2 - .4 for radius, and Remove = Lens Blurr, and more accurate box checked.

I even used these settings on the sample file from the D4 that is the woman on top of the elephant and it works just fine.

TIP: once your at full size (IE In this case 40" x 60" at 180PPI) view your screen at about 50%. If you pop the ruler up on the screen, you will see that your looking at about what the print resolution will look like on the actual print (1 screen inch = 1 real life inch) this keeps your edits showing you what will really happen on the print. Once you have adjusted, look at 50% and stand back about 2 feet or 3 feet from the monitor to get the real effect of what your viewer will see.

But the best way is to print with the printers noted above or with a company that has a RIP that does scaling. It will do a better job than you can ever do.

Also remember, that the best shot & PP practices come more into play than the process. If you have a very high quality shot to start with, this will easily exceed expectations in the end result.

Roman
--
"The only rule of composition is....that it works."

We are officially live!!!!
http://www.commercialfineart.com/
Old Web Site
http://www.pbase.com/romansphotos/

krikman
Regular MemberPosts: 309Gear list
Like?
In reply to David Carrico, Jan 9, 2012

I suppose to avoid any unnecessary software upsizing.
Printer itself upsizes it. don't do it twice.

I've tried many algorhytms for las 20 years and while some software in some particular cases can do the job, for most photo purposes it is better not to upsize picture.

But if resolution is low be free to increase sharpness and local contrast (clarity). For our eyes it is better than upsize.

And if you finally forced to upsize picture

• try export from RAW convertor with enlargement and additional sharpness

or set preferences in photoshop "General-> Image interpolation-> Nearest neighbor", then upsize in Photoshop and use Unsharp mask filter.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads