◄ X10 MODE CHART ► beta 2

Started Jan 2, 2012 | Discussions
max metz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,644
Like?
◄ X10 MODE CHART ► beta 2
Jan 2, 2012

X10 MODE CHART   beta 2

This is the latest X10 mode charts, ready for printing, should be pretty close to being right by now. Included is the beta 1.1 corrections by Trevor G and the extra iso information as pointed out by alexisgreat - thanks again to both of you.

Added some graphics from the manual for clarity/presentation and tried to show the iso and dynamic range options from each mode. The old charts will be deleted, so update your bookmarks.

Please post any errors and or suggestions, after some feedback the chart will be posted as an article. Happy New Year to you all.

Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Danny Chua
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
Re: ◄ X10 MODE CHART ► beta 2
In reply to max metz, Jan 2, 2012

Thanks this fact sheet is very useful. You may want to incorporate a footnote to indicate that this is valid without the use of flash. Even you are in M size, PASM mode and set the DR400% and ISO100, when flash is used, the camera reset the DR to 100%. So when flash is used, there is no benefit of hardware DR enhancement.
Danny

Danny Chua's gear list:Danny Chua's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 Fujifilm X10 Nikon D300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JeanYves Hudon
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
In reply to Danny Chua, Jan 2, 2012

I like the chart, this is useful indeed. However, this is applicable to JPEG only right? The RAW mode might be a little different. In RAW, min ISO at DR400 is 400. Also, it does not really matter which image size you are selecting. Am I correct? Cheers

max metz
Like?

Thanks Danny, you are right, this chart shows no consideration for flash, I’ll include a note to that effect in the next revision. Thanks again, slowly getting there.

max metz
Like?
In reply to JeanYves Hudon, Jan 2, 2012

Thanks JeanYves, no, the x10 does not shoot raw in the EXR modes or the Advanced modes as per the chart on P.129 of the manual – it does shoot raw in the PSAM modes.

This chart should apply to Raw in PSAM in the same way as it does to JPEG, resolution affecting capability in the same way. Hope this helps.

Perhaps I could put RAW & JPEG as a control in the PSAM modes.

ps. Just tested this on the x10, seems right.

max metz
Like?

Danny, the flash seems to cancel out the dynamic range options in PSAM with only 100% shown, though P126 of the manual shows forced flash can be used in EXR HR & SN modes; including slow sync, redeye reduction and a combination of both – this would be consistent with the PSAM 100% only dynamic range allowed. No flash being alowed in the Advanced modes.

Danny Chua
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?

Hi Max, in PSAM M size and using flash, if you set ISO100, ISO200 and ISO400 or above, the DR allowed will be DR100, DR200 and DR400 respectively i.e. similar to what the camera will behave as if they are in L size. By the way, just thinking since the camera setting behaves quite differently when using flash, will it be good to incorporate that into your chart rather than a note to say flash not being considered? Or having another chart for flash? By the way, thanks a lot for coming out the the chart. I know it takes a lot of your reading and efforts.
Danny

Danny Chua's gear list:Danny Chua's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 Fujifilm X10 Nikon D300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
max metz
Like?

Thanks again Danny, that’s cool mate and good stuff, I should be able to fit that in without too much trouble.

bwana
Regular MemberPosts: 232Gear list
Like?

thank you for your summary chart but i have a little trouble understanding what it instructs.

at the top left are 3 statements
set manual iso
set focus af-s
set manual dynamic range

ok, i guess that means these are the necessary preconditions for the chart to be valid?

then the chart is dominated by the three file sizes with a bunch of settings under each file size. does this mean these settings only work for these file sizes?

under large you indicate certain dynamic ranges should be less than certain iso values. under medium and small, there is no "less than" between DR and iso. Why is that?

bwana's gear list:bwana's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E2
Will Hickman
Contributing MemberPosts: 536Gear list
Like?

Appreciate your efforts Max!

Will Hickman's gear list:Will Hickman's gear list
Canon PowerShot A560 Fujifilm X10 +2 more
max metz
Like?
X10 MODE CHART beta 2.1
In reply to bwana, Jan 3, 2012

X10 MODE CHART beta 2.1

Below is the latest revision, which should be fairly close to the final, it includes the additional information kindly offered by Danny and JeanYves - many thanks, the table is much better now with all the help I have received. Thanks too, Will for your continued encouragement, much appreciated mate.

The symbols are now as they appear in the x10 manual for consistency, they are of course copyright by Fujifilm and if they be uncomfortable with that or the use of their other graphics then they need only contact me and I will remove them.

If the Flash or RAW symbols appear then they are an option in that mode at that resolution.

Feel free to download and print the chart, my private message box has received requests to do this, enjoy, that was the idea.

Bwana:

Thanks very much. The chart is based on the notion that the x10 camera is a number of small specialized cameras in one small black package.

The chart then attempts to show how to quickly switch between the different cameras or modes with maximum control available, configuring the sensor and processors to suit any particular situation – also showing the control and features available in those modes.

The manual iso, for maximum control is assumed; the af-s helps reduce the enormous load on the processors while trying to maintain live view; and manual dynamic range, again for maximum control is also assumed. The auto modes may not comply with this chart.

The image size determines how the sensor can be possibly configured, the most flexible and feature rich being the M (medium resolution). The features available and their restrictions are listed under each resolution.

For the example to which your refer, “…under large you indicate certain dynamic ranges should be less than certain iso values. under medium and small, there is no "less than" between DR and iso. Why is that?” ; the table shows that in M resolution dynamic ranges are available from 100% to 400% regardless of the ISO used, whereas for the L resolution the chart shows that the dynamic range available is dependent on the iso set – eg iso100 will only offer 100% dynamic range in L resolution whereas from iso400 and up allows 400% dynamic range.

The blue line and boxes show my work flow when quickly switching between modes for any situation, starting out in M resolution allows this quick flexibility. It’s like using a different camera for each task, allowing very high quality output that can rival much bigger sensor size cameras – switching between low light, wide dynamic range, low noise and so on. It’s a very effective strategy offered by the x10.

Hope this helps.

Summit_pg
Regular MemberPosts: 264Gear list
Like?
Re: X10 MODE CHART beta 2.1
In reply to max metz, Jan 3, 2012

Nicely done Max...its a very handy guide! See if you can contract with Fuji to get this printed as a supplement to the useless user manual that comes with the X10!

Summit_pg's gear list:Summit_pg's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-T1 +1 more
max metz
Like?
In reply to Summit_pg, Jan 3, 2012

Thanks Summit_pg, I may contact Fuji to see if it will help their support people, getting the generous feedback on here has been the making of the chart; it’s now being far, far better than what its started as. Life is cool.

Ezra R
Senior MemberPosts: 2,270Gear list
Like?
Re: +1
In reply to max metz, Jan 3, 2012

Wow - this is superb and very handy. Thank you, max.

• Ezra

Ezra R's gear list:Ezra R's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
max metz
Like?
Re: +1
In reply to Ezra R, Jan 4, 2012

Thanks Ezra!

alexisgreat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,348Gear list
Like?
In reply to max metz, Jan 4, 2012

Wonderful work, Max! Also print worthy for my HS20!
--
http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Olympus E-520
max metz
Like?
In reply to alexisgreat, Jan 4, 2012

Thanks alex! That’s great that it works with the hs20, enjoy the rest of the week mate.

Timur Born
Senior MemberPosts: 3,754
Like?

max metz wrote:

For the example to which your refer, “…under large you indicate certain dynamic ranges should be less than certain iso values. under medium and small, there is no "less than" between DR and iso. Why is that?” ; the table shows that in M resolution dynamic ranges are available from 100% to 400% regardless of the ISO used, whereas for the L resolution the chart shows that the dynamic range available is dependent on the iso set – eg iso100 will only offer 100% dynamic range in L resolution whereas from iso400 and up allows 400% dynamic range.

On my X10 DR200 needs at least ISO 200 and DR400 needs at least ISO 400 even in M size while sometimes it does not. I suspect either a firmware or user glitch, but I just went through all PASM and it needed high ISO. Then I turned off the cam and checked again and DR400 worked with ISO 100. Looks like a firmware glitch to me.

When I find time later, I will check again, trying to reproduce the glitch.

max metz
Like?
In reply to Timur Born, Jan 4, 2012

Timur, sorry to hear your having hassles with the firmware, the flash up or external flash on will produce the M resolution result you describe. Perhaps too any sort of bracketing or burst shooting will may also limit the M resolution dynamic range ability. Hope this helps.

nomad147
Contributing MemberPosts: 512
Like?

this is an excellent resource-thank you so much max, you are a credit to the forum. nice and easy to read, very handy, i have printed it out and i have them with me for reference, thank you so much for this, what an excellent guide!!
--
wssa member #320PX

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads