X10 & EF-20 Flash - My in-door flash settings

Started Jan 1, 2012 | Discussions
Danny Chua
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
X10 & EF-20 Flash - My in-door flash settings
Jan 1, 2012

Hi guys/gals what do you think about the following SOOC in-door shots using EF-20 flash bounced off the ceiling/walls? The following setting produces very consistent and pleasing results in door with a ceiling which is about 12 feet high.

My in-door external flash Setting
1. M size, Provia, NR Low.

2. M (Manual) Mode, smallest f-stop (i.e wide open aperture) and high shutter speed. (Note: The shutter speed should be high enough to cut off the ambient light. I don't like mixed ambient and flash lighting). To confirm there isn't ambient light coming through your flash shots, take a test shot without flash by adjusting the shutter speed until the shot become totally dark.

3. Use lowest possible ISO (i.e. ISO100) unless the ceiling/wall is too high/far away beyond the reach of the flash which you will need higher ISO to expand the flash GN.

4. Set custom WB with EF-20 flash attached to X10 and with flash on. This is needed especially the ceiling/wall is not really white in color. I use a cheap WB cap to do this.

5. DR400%. (Note: When using flash, X10 re-set to DR100%, DR200% and DR400% at ISO100, ISO200 and ISO400 respectively even at M size in PASM mode).

6. Pointing the EF-20 straight up to the ceiling and shoot. Increase/decreese the flash EV on the EF-20 flash itself if you want a brighter/darker image. (Note: Adjusting the camera EV compensation dial will not have any impact on the exposure).

Why M Mode? (i.e. wide open aperture and high shutter speed)
a. Why M Mode? Because we can set aperture and shutter speed independently.

b. Why wide open aperture? Shooting at a high f-stop (small aperture) will reduce the power (GN) of the flash. This is very true when doing bounced flash and given that EF-20 is not very powerful.

c. Why high shutter speed? Shutter speed has no impact on the flash power (GN) whether you shoot at 1/500s or 1/1000s etc and how the flash meters exposure. The high shutter speed recommended here is to cut off the ambient light and at the same time to avoid motion blur/camera shake.

Hope you find the above useful. I'm glad if someone could also share your settings as well or correct my understanding about flash photography.

Danny

Danny Chua's gear list:Danny Chua's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 Fujifilm X10 Nikon D300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Timur Born
Senior MemberPosts: 3,663
Like?
Re: X10 & EF-20 Flash - My in-door flash settings
In reply to Danny Chua, Jan 1, 2012

Thanks for the information. Should exposure settings on the camera have no effect when the EF-20 works via TTL?

Could you list your other gear shown in the shots?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Danny Chua
Like?
In reply to Timur Born, Jan 1, 2012

Timur Born wrote:

Thanks for the information. Should exposure settings on the camera have no effect when the EF-20 works via TTL?

There are two types of light source. Ambient light and flash light. Shutter speed has no effect on flash via TTL. So you can try varying the shutter speed say 1/500s to 1/1000s at same aperture and ISO and you will get exactly the same exposure. Of cause if you set the shutter speed low enough, you may see the difference in exposure because of the ambient light starts showing.

Could you list your other gear shown in the shots?

1. Fuji X10 case
2. Lenspen
3. White Balance Cap
4. Fuji lens adapter
5. Digieye 2-in-1 52mm macro and wide converter 0.45x AF Japan

Danny

Canon PowerShot G7 Fujifilm X10 Nikon D300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
Ezra R
Senior MemberPosts: 2,270Gear list
Like?
In reply to Danny Chua, Jan 1, 2012

Well done! Thanks for the info.

I particularly like the overall colors on photo below.

Danny Chua wrote:

Hi guys/gals what do you think about the following SOOC in-door shots using EF-20 flash bounced off the ceiling/walls? The following setting produces very consistent and pleasing results in door with a ceiling which is about 12 feet high.

Ezra R's gear list:Ezra R's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Danny Chua
Like?
In reply to Ezra R, Jan 1, 2012

Ezra R wrote:

Well done! Thanks for the info.

I particularly like the overall colors on photo below.

Thanks Ezra R. I saw your tread on using the flash as well. So perhaps we can exchange some ideas on setting as well.
Danny

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads