Older lenses on d5100?

Started Jan 1, 2012 | Discussions
james laubscher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,177
Like?
Older lenses on d5100?
Jan 1, 2012

Hi, can anyone please help - which older lenses can be used on the d5100?

I understand that some of the old lenses will not support exposure metering on the d5100. I'm OK with manual focus and would like to find a second hand wide angle lens for the d5100.

Thanks in advance.
--
jamesza

Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
blue_cheese
Senior MemberPosts: 1,424
Like?
Re: Older lenses on d5100?
In reply to james laubscher, Jan 1, 2012

If you are ok with M mode and MF then anything that fits can be used. I have a 50mm AI-S 1.8 from 1979 and use in constantly. Outside of M mode camera says "no lens attached" and wont open shutter.

in M mode, you have to take the flash into M mode as well since iTTL does not meter.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MRM4350
Senior MemberPosts: 1,512Gear list
Like?
In reply to james laubscher, Jan 2, 2012

Only AF-D, or CPU (chipped) lenses will Meter on the D5100. Focus will have to be manual because the AF-D lenses require a motor in the camera body. If you are asking about manual focus lenses most will fit on the D5100 (some specialty lenses will not fit) both AI/AI-S and non AI (pre 1977), but NONE will meter regardless of the mode.
--
Michael

1newnoob
Regular MemberPosts: 225
Like?
My favorite list
zonoskar
Regular MemberPosts: 292Gear list
Like?
In reply to MRM4350, Jan 2, 2012

Annoyingly, the rangefinder option won't work in M mode with these AI-S or AI lenses, only the focus indicator (green dot) works. The rangefinder option works in A or S mode, but then you get the 'no lens attached' error and you cannot take pictures. How wrong is that? Come on Nikon, fix this!

Dennis.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zonoskar/

zonoskar's gear list:zonoskar's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS M Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
blue_cheese
Senior MemberPosts: 1,424
Like?
In reply to zonoskar, Jan 2, 2012

They did "fix" it... on the D7000

If they gave you an entry level model that did everything you want then what is the point of up selling to a higher model.

I got a D3100 and let me tell you how I feel gypped... LOL

eddyshoots
Senior MemberPosts: 2,174
Like?
In reply to blue_cheese, Jan 2, 2012

blue_cheese wrote:

If they gave you an entry level model that did everything you want then what is the point of up selling to a higher model.

Lens compatibility is NOT exclusive to higher end models....or at least it shouldn't be.

I got a D3100 and let me tell you how I feel gypped... LOL

Nikon did it's customer base a real disservice when they brought out the rip off D40. They have continued the tradition with the follow up models...D60, 5000, 3000, 5100 and 3100. This was a play to force the largely uneducated (photographically speaking) entry level customer to buy only newer AFS lenses, to add some extra lens sales to the Nikon bottom line. It's a bit of a Swiffer mentality. The business model for that sweeper is in selling you the over priced pads and throw away after use, I'll let you make the connection with what Nikon is doing.

-- hide signature --

eddyshoots

eddyshoots
Senior MemberPosts: 2,174
Like?

james laubscher wrote:

Hi, can anyone please help - which older lenses can be used on the d5100?

I understand that some of the old lenses will not support exposure metering on the d5100. I'm OK with manual focus and would like to find a second hand wide angle lens for the d5100.

Thanks in advance.
--
jamesza

You've gotten some good information in this thread about what works with what. To some up: the D5100 has about the worst older lens compatibility in the Nikon line up. No lens older than an AFS will work without having some missing functionality (actually AFI lenses should work but they are few and far between and generally very expensive).

But on to your desire for a wide angle lens. Unfortunately due to the difference in sensor size (between APS-C on a D5100 and 35mm film) there aren't really many old lenses that will perform as wide angle on your camera. In film days a 17mm lens was pretty wide but will be cropped to a rather normalish 27mm on your D5100. It might be hard to find an older lens that is wide enough (depending on your taste for wide). You might be better off with one of the new Samyang lenses. They are generally reasonably priced and are reviewed pretty well. They make a 14mm wide and an 8mm fish eye. Some of the lenses are non-chipped and you lose metering so you'll want to avoid those copies. Might be worth looking into.
--
eddyshoots

james laubscher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,177
Like?
In reply to eddyshoots, Jan 2, 2012

Many thanks to all above for useful information - looks like I would be best off buying a new dedicated wide angle lens. Coming from Pentax, which does not impose these restrictions on its users, I'm starting to see the limitations of Nikon 'cheaper' cameras.

I'm glad I kept my Pentax KR - it will still be getting some mileage with old lenses.

-- hide signature --

jamesza

sd40
Senior MemberPosts: 1,367
Like?

James Laubscher wrote:

I'm OK with manual focus and would like to find a second hand wide angle lens for the d5100.

(Sigh.) If someone had said up front that the choices among wide angle lenses for DX are either mostly or entirely AF-S, you could have saved wading through irrelevant rants about crippled cameras and Nikon marketing strategy.

RUcrAZ
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,178
Like?

I currently use Nikkor lenses: 28mm 1:35, 46-83mm zoom 1:35, 50mm 1:1.4, and 200mm 1:4. In addition I had a Vivitar 2x tele extender. They all fit without problem on the D5100. They work fine, with wide-open apertures for focusing etc, which close down automatically to their pre-set f-stop just prior to the shutter doing its job; but the Camera must be set on "M" (Manual) and I must focus manually, and set the ISO, Aperture, and Shutter Speed manually. This requires a guess as to the exposure from me, supplemented by an external light meter.

(These lenses and light meter are vintage of the decade of the 1970s and are exceptionally good quality glass.)

Of course since the D5100 is DX, the equivalent magnification is 1.5x higher, for example the 28mm is not as wide-angle as a 28mm in a full-35mm-frame DSLR, but it acts as though it is a 42mm; and the 200mm acts as though it is a 300mm. (See example below of the 28mm & expand to check quality. Note the cam cannot "sense" the mm or the f-stop of these lenses, so the resulting EXIF does not contain that info.)

To ensure reasonable exposure, I set the D5100 to take a 3-photo exposure bracketing, for each click of the shutter release. +1, 0, -1 EV (or other settings, e.g. 1/3 EV + -). The camera remembers the bracketing and the settings, even after it is turned off, unless deliberately changed.
p.s. these lenses work fine on making HD movies, as well.

-- hide signature --

RUcrAZ

Patco
Forum ProPosts: 11,505
Like?
In reply to eddyshoots, Jan 4, 2012

eddyshoots wrote:

blue_cheese wrote:

Lens compatibility is NOT exclusive to higher end models....or at least it shouldn't be.

AF crippling with the two-tiered focus system seems to be exclusive to Nikon.

In the Canon camp, the cheapest Rebel will do just fine with virtually every AF lens ever produced by Canon.

Those saying that Nikon had to remove the AF motor to reduce body size & cost need only look at the Pentax models to see that's not so.

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads