Best Monitor For Photo Editing 2012?

Started Jan 1, 2012 | Discussions
CBEV Media
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
Best Monitor For Photo Editing 2012?
Jan 1, 2012

Any thoughts on the best IPS monitor for photo editing on a PC?

I looked at the DEll U2711 at around £600 but people have said the anti glare coating introduces noise on photos and isn't suitable.

Any others I should look at?

Also is it better to have one larger say 27" monitor, or two 2 smaller say 24" side by side in a dual screen setup?

Smitty2k1
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
Re: Best Monitor For Photo Editing 2012?
In reply to CBEV Media, Jan 2, 2012

I just got a Dell u2412m on Black Friday. It is sitting next to my old budget 22" monitor. The two side by side are plenty, I can't imagine having a 27" monitor on my desk - and I have a big desk!

The IPS technology in the U2412M is leap years ahead of my old budget TN monitor panel. When I move my head side to side the TN panel looks to change colors while my IPS stays extremely consistent.

I've had dual monitors for several years and can't ever imagine going back to a single monitor. With the Win7 hotkeys for moving windows life is just great.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,790
Like?
In reply to Smitty2k1, Jan 2, 2012

Smitty2k1 wrote:

I just got a Dell u2412m on Black Friday.

Same here and love it. Terrific value for money for those on a budget.

gpsdude2
Like?
In reply to CBEV Media, Jan 3, 2012

My old 21" TN display died about a month ago.

After a lot of research, I settled on the U2711, with the intention of using it for general purpose use and photo editing. I don't have a calibration device yet, so I'm using it for general purpose stuff right now. It's a BIG change from old monitor and it's very bright - I had to lower the brightness. I'm using it at it's native resolution 2560 x 1440.

Bill

NewsyL
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,528
Like?
In reply to gpsdude2, Jan 3, 2012

gpsdude2 wrote:

My old 21" TN display died about a month ago.

After a lot of research, I settled on the U2711, with the intention of using it for general purpose use and photo editing. I don't have a calibration device yet, so I'm using it for general purpose stuff right now. It's a BIG change from old monitor and it's very bright - I had to lower the brightness. I'm using it at it's native resolution 2560 x 1440.

You might want to check out the review on TFT Central and their ICC Profiles page.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2711.htm

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#d

Download the ICC profile from the monitor name link on the profiles page and then use the posted settings with it.

-- hide signature --
DonA2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,141Gear list
Like?
In reply to malch, Jan 3, 2012
-- hide signature --

Now have the Dell U2412m and find the IPS screen fine for photo editing. Not the best panel but certainly more than good enough. At first I thought the anti glare coating might be a problem but not so. Can't understand why some folks feel they need a 27" screen unless at 16:9 ratio you don't get enough vertical. The 16:10 screen certainly gives a very good view angle at normal distance.
Don V. Armitage

DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS
chevysales
Senior MemberPosts: 2,705Gear list
Like?
In reply to CBEV Media, Jan 3, 2012

CBEV Media wrote:

I looked at the DEll U2711 at around £600 but people have said the anti glare coating introduces noise on photos and isn't suitable.

Also is it better to have one larger say 27" monitor, or two 2 smaller say 24" side by side in a dual screen setup?

best monitor? sure is NOT one of the dells.

eizo
nec or the like

but not in that best price range...should have maybe put header as best $600 or under photo monitor..... personally speaking i would look at the HP's instead of dell for same money.
--

D700 paired with 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200vr f2.8 along with an SB900 to brighten things up a bit....

chevysales's gear list:chevysales's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Apple iPhone 5s
ABA DABA
Senior MemberPosts: 2,971
Like?
In reply to chevysales, Jan 3, 2012

chevysales wrote:

eizo
nec or the like

but not in that best price range...should have maybe put header as best $600 or under photo monitor.....

personally speaking i would look at the HP's instead of dell for same money.

I agree, HP 22 or 24 inch

-- hide signature --

D700 paired with 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200vr f2.8 along with an SB900 to brighten things up a bit....

-- hide signature --

ABA DABA

gpsdude2
Like?
In reply to NewsyL, Jan 3, 2012

Thanks Newsy!

I'm sure I read the articles before I made the purchase. I'd read every monitor related thread posted here in the past year, as well as done some other research.

I have been using the latest icc_profile from the Dell driver, but took your advice and downloaded one from tftcentral.

Bill

Lonstar
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
In reply to chevysales, Jan 3, 2012

chevysales wrote:

eizo
nec or the like

but not in that best price range...should have maybe put header as best $600 or under photo monitor..... personally speaking i would look at the HP's instead of dell for same money.

Not a Dell based on what?

Mark K
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,543Gear list
Like?
In reply to CBEV Media, Jan 4, 2012

Have had Dell U2711 alongside with my Dell 2405. They are great and inexpensive for photoediting. You can't have enough desktop displays until you have. Well my neighbor went crazy having three 2711 and one 3011 together.

These monitors from Dell are not too costly comparing those from Eizo and for general purpose, they are good enough.

However if you want the absolute best photo editing monitors, you should go for Eizo or others.

CBEV Media wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 +59 more
bronxbombers
Forum ProPosts: 18,226
Like?
Eizo best, NEC PA close for half the price then the rest starting with asus246

CBEV Media wrote:

sadly all the good one have the AG coating

Eizo is probably best but you can get close for half the price with NEC PA series. Definitely worse but not bad is the ASUS246 for about 40-70% of the NEC depending what deals you find and where you live.

bronxbombers
Like?
In reply to Smitty2k1, Jan 4, 2012

It is only 6bits though so while maybe better than a TN it's not really in the best of class for photo editing. Maybe best of budget level.

Smitty2k1 wrote:

I just got a Dell u2412m on Black Friday. It is sitting next to my old budget 22" monitor. The two side by side are plenty, I can't imagine having a 27" monitor on my desk - and I have a big desk!

The IPS technology in the U2412M is leap years ahead of my old budget TN monitor panel. When I move my head side to side the TN panel looks to change colors while my IPS stays extremely consistent.

I've had dual monitors for several years and can't ever imagine going back to a single monitor. With the Win7 hotkeys for moving windows life is just great.

Pultzar
Senior MemberPosts: 1,445
Like?
Samsung S27A850D

I have the new 27" 2560x1440 Samsung. Their downside is some QC problems meaning black light bleed or dust behind the display.

On the plus side, they have the smoothest image quality that I have ever seen. The AG is not obtrusive on photos like every other non-glossy desktop monitor.

Even with the QC problems, I couldn't go back to something like a Dell with its aggressive AG coating.

bronxbombers
Like?
Re: Samsung S27A850D
In reply to Pultzar, Jan 4, 2012

Pultzar wrote:

I have the new 27" 2560x1440 Samsung. Their downside is some QC problems meaning black light bleed or dust behind the display.

On the plus side, they have the smoothest image quality that I have ever seen. The AG is not obtrusive on photos like every other non-glossy desktop monitor.

Even with the QC problems, I couldn't go back to something like a Dell with its aggressive AG coating.

god help you if anythign ever goes wrong with it though, their customer service and warranty program is hard to distinguish from a well oiled criminal enterprise

technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,606Gear list
Like?
In reply to chevysales, Jan 6, 2012

chevysales wrote:

eizo
nec or the like

agree that everything in the $600 or so range is a compromise, they all have their problems (often uneven illumination / backlight bleed, wrong factory calibration requiring an additional calibrator, obtrusive AG coatings etc.). The real photo monitors start at around $1000.

I have been reading many reviews of 23-24" IPS displays and Dell IPS monitors usually seem to offer good value for money - maybe slightly worse than some others, but a lot cheaper. For $600 or below I would probably chose HP ZR2440w now (few reviews until now though).

I'm hoping for somewhat affordable OLED monitor technology later this year, at least five new OLED TV's have been announced or rumoured for 2012. Most of these are probably based on OLED backlight only (with LCD shutter), but even that seems to be a big step up in quality. They should be able to manufacture these for a decent price once production is geared up, as the OLED panels are basically 'printed'. Let's see if there are some nice surprises at CES

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
NewsyL
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,528
Like?
OLED
In reply to technic, Jan 6, 2012

technic wrote:

I'm hoping for somewhat affordable OLED monitor technology later this year, at least five new OLED TV's have been announced or rumoured for 2012. Most of these are probably based on OLED backlight only (with LCD shutter), but even that seems to be a big step up in quality. They should be able to manufacture these for a decent price once production is geared up, as the OLED panels are basically 'printed'. Let's see if there are some nice surprises at CES

Interesting OLED announcement from LG.

RGB+White, 4mm thick

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57350931-221/could-lgs-new-55-inch-oled-be-the-best-tv-ever/

-- hide signature --
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,606Gear list
Like?
Re: OLED
In reply to NewsyL, Jan 6, 2012

just in case you missed it: three other companies are rumoured to introduce 55" OLED TV's this year, including Apple. I'm guessing these 55 inch screens use the same or similar panel, OLED backlight with LCD colour filters. Possibly some smaller sizes and (expensive) full OLED displays on the way as well.

The new 4K generation also looks very attractive, but they need to shrink the size and price first to get me on board
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1325146105

With the rumours about superres Apple notebooks and iPad3 this summer, it can't be long before we have desktop monitors with 4K resolution. I don't doubt they will think of something to spoil the party though, like high price or bad backlight ;-(

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
kelpdiver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,934
Like?
In reply to DonA2, Jan 7, 2012

dona2 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Now have the Dell U2412m and find the IPS screen fine for photo editing. Not the best panel but certainly more than good enough. At first I thought the anti glare coating might be a problem but not so. Can't understand why some folks feel they need a 27" screen unless at 16:9 ratio you don't get enough vertical. The 16:10 screen certainly gives a very good view angle at normal distance.

vertical for 16:9 and even 16:10 displays is pretty lousy when you're working on portrait images. So many opt for the 27" with an extra 400 pixels of vertical resolution. The other option which I took is to use a second 24" in the portrait orientation.

Pultzar
Senior MemberPosts: 1,445
Like?
Pixel density
In reply to DonA2, Jan 7, 2012

The 27" 2560x1440 display has 1.44X as many pixels per square inch as a 1920x1200 24" display.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads