New computer to monitor cable problem

Started Jan 1, 2012 | Discussions
Owen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,172
Like?
New computer to monitor cable problem
Jan 1, 2012

Just bought a new computer, I didn't realize they changed the cable ports.
My new computer has a DVI-D port. My monitor has VGI and HDMI ports.

Any way I can use the monitor?, I am really ticked off and ready to return the computer.

Thanks in advance,
Owen

Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,301
Like?
Re: New computer to monitor cable problem
In reply to Owen, Jan 1, 2012

Here's a 6 foot dvi-d to hdmi cable with gold plated contacts for $7.99 delivered:(and you can probably find cheaper ones if you shop around)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812576006

-- hide signature --

JimC

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim Cockfield
Like?
IOW...
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Jan 1, 2012

IOW, just buy a conversion cable like this one (or a DVI to HDMI adapter if you already have DVI cables).

The DVI-D output from your new computer should have no issues working with a monitor with an HDMI input with a cable like that. No signal conversion is needed since an HDMI display is backwards compatible with a device like your PC with a DVI output.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Compatibility_with_DVI

See the customer reviews for the cable I linked to and you'll see others doing the same thing with video cards that don't have an HDMI port (connecting to displays that have HDMI inputs with it by plugging into the video card's DVI port with one end of the cable and plugging the HDMI end of the cable into the display).

That's a very common thing, since many video cards have DVI but no HDMI ports.

So, users buy adapters or conversion cables to use newer displays (TVs, monitors, etc.) with HDMI only inputs. You will have no loss in quality since no signal conversion is needed using a cable like that.

IOW, there's no need to return your new computer just because it doesn't have an HDMI port.

It's DVI-D port is fine for connecting to a display with an HDMI input. Just use a cable like the one I linked to for $7.99 with free shipping (and you can find even cheaper ones if you shop around).

For example, monoprice.com (a reputable vendor) has dvi to hdmi cables in a variety of lengths here:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231

You'll also find them at amazon.com, on ebay.com (and probably at a local store, too).
--
JimC

Owen
Like?
pins

I 've noticed that some of those cables have two rows of pins missing from the center. Does this matter?
For example, this one,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TH7T2U/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Owen

Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,348
Like?
Re: pins

Some possibilities:

1. The DVI standard allows for the transmission of analog (VGA) video as well as digital video. A cable designed only to support digital video may have the analog pins missing.

2. There are two levels of digital DVI connections: single-link DVI and dual-link DVI. Dual-link connections are necessary to, e.g., support resolutions of 2560 x 1440 x 60 Hz, but in the interest of cost cutting, a lot of cables just carry a single-link connection.

Jim Cockfield
Like?
Re: pins

Owen wrote:

I 've noticed that some of those cables have two rows of pins missing from the center. Does this matter?
For example, this one,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TH7T2U/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Owen

That one has the extra two rows from what I can see from the image in the link.

The one I mentioned to begin with is missing them:

Those are used for a second data link, which is not required for that type of conversion cable. Basically, the cable you linked to has pins for a DVI-D Dual Link (a.k.a.,, DVD-DL) connection type versus a DVI-D Single LInk. See the differences in connection types here (and note the comments about few devices implementing that type:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

But, It wouldn't hurt to have a connector with the extra pins (even though they wouldn't be used for connecting from your PC's DVI port to your displays HDMI port), as long as the DVI port on PC side has holes for the pins.

But, I'd make sure your display adapter's female end has holes for the pins to plug into when using that type so that it will physically plug into it.. It probably does, but I'd check it to make sure it will mate,

Note that the monoprice cables I linked to don't have the extra pins either if you look at the larger images for them (and you'll find hundreds of satisfied customers using them to connect a PC with a DVI port to displays and TVs with HDMI ports):

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231&cs_id=1023104&p_id=2404&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

IOW, the extra pins on the cable you linked to are not going to be used for anything in your type of setup to connect to a display needing an HDMI input.

You can plug in one of the cables without those pins like I linked to into a DVI-D Single Link, DVI-D Dual Link (a.k.a., DVI-DL), DVI-I Single LInk, or DVI-I Dual port.

But, sometimes you can't do it the other way around (as the card may not have the sockets for the extra pins, even though they're not used). So, check your PC to make sure a cable like you linked to will physically mate to it (has holes for the extra pins). It probably does. But, check to make sure if you order a cable that has those pins on the connector..

-- hide signature --

JimC

Owen
Like?
Jim, Thanks

Thank you for taking the time to answer. You've really helped.

I will get the one with the extra pins since I can get it shipped faster from Amazon, It will fit the computer as the DVI port has all the pins.

Thanks again,
Owen

Jim Cockfield
Like?
Re: Jim, Thanks

No problem.

I might even order one from Amazon.com myself soon, as I have a netbook (Dell 11Z) that only has an HDMI port (no VGA or DVI ports on it), and I have spare display that only has VGA and DVI ports on it. So, one of those cables will allow me to do the opposite of what you're doing (I'd be connecting from a computer's HDMi port to a Display's DVI Port).

I got a couple of some Amazon Gift Cards for Christmas that I need to use for something, and I guess spending some of the credit on a cable like that might be useful (although I'm not sure I really need to connect that netbook to an external display, as that would just take up more room in my office and I really wouldn't have any need for it there). LOL

-- hide signature --

JimC

Owen
Like?
Only thing

Now I have to wait until Wednesday for the cable to come, so the computer is useless till then.
I could buy one from Best Buy but they want 49 bucks, Staples wants 43......
Why did they freakin' change the ports anyway.

Owen

Jim Cockfield
Like?
Blame Hollywood. ;-)

Owen wrote:

Now I have to wait until Wednesday for the cable to come, so the computer is useless till then.
I could buy one from Best Buy but they want 49 bucks, Staples wants 43......
Why did they freakin' change the ports anyway.

Owen

Blame Hollywood.

There are differences between them (as HDMI devices have to support HDCP (encrypted video with a device that is compliant to certain standards to prevent copying of protected content). HDMI also supports Audio and has some other features that you don't get with DVI (even though HDMI displays are backwards compatible with DVI outputs).

I suspect you can blame the Motion Picture Industry for wanting to get rid of any analog interfaces like VGA, as the Copy Protection is probably what they want newer designs for, to make it harder for anyone to take an output from a device that's playing copy protected content, and feed it to any type of recording device. For example, note the history section for HDMI and you'll see that the Motion Picture Industry was a major driving force:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Definition_Multimedia_Interface

They have some similar features in many DVI devices now, too. But, not all displays with DVI inputs are HDCP compliant, whereas all displays with HDMI inputs are supposed to be HDCP compliant (and if the display is not HDCP compliant, it won't play protected/encrypted content).

IOW, I think that the Motion Picture industry wants to get rid of any analog devices and go to interfaces using encryption of both video and audio to reduce copying of content. But, it is nuts how many different connection types you can find in use now (VGA, various types of DVI connections, DisplayPort,, and even Thunderbolt; not to mention other connections that some cards and TVs may still use like S-Video, composite connections, etc.:-)

I know at one time there was a lot of debate over new laws they were trying to get passed to get rid of analog devices capable of recording or playing content entirely. But, I haven't kept up with it lately.

Google for MPAA Analog Loophole and you'll find lots and lots of articles about their lobbying efforts.

IOW, you can probably blame Hollywood for a lot of the changes you're seeing in connection types, as the recording industry wants to make sure content is protected end to end by encrypted video and audio so that it can't be easily copied.

-- hide signature --

JimC

Owen
Like?
I spent an hour...

...trying to get a DVI-I plug to fit into my DVI-D port on the computer. Never the less it wouldn't fit.

My computer has two DVI-D ports on the back, can I hook two monitors at once onto it?

If I can will I be able to drag stuff from one screen to the other?

Owen

Jim Cockfield
Like?
Re: I spent an hour...
In reply to Owen, Jan 2, 2012

Owen wrote:

...trying to get a DVI-I plug to fit into my DVI-D port on the computer. Never the less it wouldn't fit.

The extra pins found with DVI-I are just pins for analog signals so that you can feed a VGA analog signal from a display card with that feature (for example, using a DVI-VGA adapter or cable. It's best to go digital anyway, and a different cable would probably work for you (DVI-D cable without the analog pins) with modern displays (as most will use a digital input now).

My computer has two DVI-D ports on the back, can I hook two monitors at once onto it?

If I can will I be able to drag stuff from one screen to the other?

What kind of PC do you have (brand/model) and what video card is in it?

Look.. some lower end video cards will only support one output at a time. But, if you've got two DVI-D ports on it, it's probably a higher end video chipset and supports dual displays. The chipset, video drive, operating system and more come into the equation when using multiple displays.

But, chances are, with a system that has dual DVI-D ports, it's a higher end Nvidia or ATI chipset and will let you set it up as desired. For example, using spanning between two displays if desired, where two displays will act like one large display. If you go into your display properties and look at the control panel for the video card you're using (for example, an Nvidia Control Panel or ATI Catalyst Control panel), you'll see those types of settings when more than one monitor is in use.

DVI-D is fine for most newer displays, as the extra pins on DVI-I ports are just used to provide analog signals for compatibility with monitors that use VGA/Analog inputs, and most newer displays are able to use digital inputs.

-- hide signature --

JimC

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads