Question on the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens Macro/Close Up A

Started Dec 28, 2011 | Discussions
Chuck_D
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
Question on the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens Macro/Close Up A
Dec 28, 2011

Hi Folks,

I'm giving myself a retirement present and trying to decide if this lens has close up/macro abilities assuming I use it with either/or extension tubes/close up filters. Or, if I should get the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens. I'd rather put that money towards a super wide for now if I can get away with using the 55-250.

Thanks for your help,

Chuck
--
From A Basement Darkroom In The 50s, To Today's Digital Age - What A Ride!

BillsLIPhotos
Contributing MemberPosts: 657
Like?
Re: Question on the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens Macro/Close
In reply to Chuck_D, Dec 28, 2011

It does. Here are some example shots using the Canon 500D Close-up filter (Canon 450D/XSi).

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=94588868@N00&q=500D

A dedicated macro lens is certainly nicer to use but the 55-250 + 500D close-up lens can do a reasonable job.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tymevest
Senior MemberPosts: 1,495
Like?
Re: Question on the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens Macro/Close

Chuck_D wrote:

Hi Folks,

I'm giving myself a retirement present and trying to decide if this lens has close up/macro abilities assuming I use it with either/or extension tubes/close up filters. Or, if I should get the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens. I'd rather put that money towards a super wide for now if I can get away with using the 55-250.

Thanks for your help,

Chuck
--

The 55-250 IS is a good inexpensive and lightweight lens and covers a good deal of focal length. I use it for a carry lens when I don't want to carry more than one or switch lenses. It probably isn't that good for macro shots. Here is a shot from a T3i with a 55-250 @ 250mm and at full size. I was about 6-7 feet away. This is a quarter with a small ant crawling on it. The second picture shows the very shallow depth of field. The green areas are out of focus. A macro lens should do much better than this.

-- hide signature --

Tymevest

Shorthand
Senior MemberPosts: 2,972Gear list
Like?

As hinted above, diopters are a far more effective way to increase the magnification of the 55-250 than extension tubes are. The working distance should be pretty nice too.

Both the Canon and Raynox achromic diopters should do quite well for you if this is your chosen path.

Here is what an unaided 55-250 can do:

(... Though I have no clue why I went for such extreme shutter speeds.)

Just to muddy the waters, I will mention that our 100mm f/2.8 Macro spends more time on camera these days than the 55-250 ... it just makes such pretty pictures.

Shorthand's gear list:Shorthand's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 6D +9 more
WilbaW
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,674Gear list
Like?

Chuck_D wrote:

Good idea. You just have to decide which accessories to use. If you intend to use it mostly at the long end, just get a 500D, but if you want more magnification you will need to use it at the short end, and in that case a 250D plus tubes are the way to go. See the Macro section in the unofficial Rebel forum FAQ - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

It's worth thinking a little about what size close-ups you should get. The 55-250 has a 58mm filter thread, as does the EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro. The EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro is 52mm, and the EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro is 67mm. So to future-proof your purchase you might think the obvious thing to do is get 67mm, and use an adapter ring on the 55-250. But the front element of the 100L is only about 46mm in diameter, so you can happily use 58mm filters on it with a step-down ring (I leave the ring on mine all the time). This also works with other long lenses, like the 70-300L (also 67mm).

The other thing to consider is if you use bigger filters with step-up rings you won't be able to mount and unmount the lens hood like normal, you'll have to take off the step-up ring each time.

Confused? Get 58mm.

Chuck_D
Like?
Thank you great info
In reply to Chuck_D, Dec 29, 2011

Thank you all for your replies. This is the info I was looking for. I'm putting together as complete kit as I can within budget, camera, flash, the 2 main kit lenses, super wide (or macro), tripod, battery grip, etc. From what I can tell, it appears as if the T3i will work fine for the type of photography I mainly do. This info allows me to add the dedicated macro a bit later, along with a short, quick prime for some night work.

Thanks again,

Chuck
--

inkblot
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?
In reply to Chuck_D, Dec 29, 2011

I've been using EF-S 55-250 with Raynox DCR-250 for most of my macro shots. You can get up to 2.3:1 magnification with this combo. Here are a few samples:

Most of the macro pics in my gallery are using this combo and a custom flash diffuser. They're not MP-E65 quality but they're good enough for me. YMMV.

Chuck_D
Like?
In reply to inkblot, Dec 29, 2011

Great shots! This is about what I'd like to achieve as far as macro goes. It will be awhile, if ever, before mine would look so good, but this would allow me to free up funds for other parts of the kit.

Thanks, Chuck
--

Shorthand
Senior MemberPosts: 2,972Gear list
Like?
In reply to WilbaW, Dec 29, 2011

On the filter question - I would (and have) gone with 58mm filters and am perfectly happy in that department.

I rarely use a filter on my 100mm Macro and have a 52mm to 58mm step-up ring for my 50mm f/1.8. The "nifty fifty"'s focusing ring is nearly useless anyway, so I don't miss it much at all.

Shorthand's gear list:Shorthand's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 6D +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads