Review of Olympus 12-50mm on Robin Wong's site

Started Dec 28, 2011 | Discussions
NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 2,967Gear list
Like?
Review of Olympus 12-50mm on Robin Wong's site
Dec 28, 2011

Hi guys,

Robin Wong has posted the first decent user-review of the Oly 12-50mm on his website. Part one of his review shows that the lens has good macro capability and is plenty sharp at its price-point.

Check out the review at:

robinwong (dot) blogspot (dot) com

NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +8 more
farrukh
Senior MemberPosts: 2,717
Like?
Re: Review of Olympus 12-50mm on Robin Wong's site
In reply to NZ Scott, Dec 28, 2011

Nice review with some fab macro shots. Thank you for the link.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dave92029
Contributing MemberPosts: 637Gear list
Like?
In reply to farrukh, Dec 28, 2011

Interesting review, thank you for telling us about it.

The macro photos are very impressive, both in the detail and the lighting. It's hard to believe that they were achieved from a "kit lens" and not a dedicated Macro lens.

I may have to reconsider this lens. It appears to be a lot sharper then my 14-42 II.
Dave

dave92029's gear list:dave92029's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
jennajenna
Senior MemberPosts: 1,095
Like?
In reply to dave92029, Dec 28, 2011

dave92029 wrote:

The macro photos are very impressive, both in the detail and the lighting. It's hard to believe that they were achieved from a "kit lens" and not a dedicated Macro lens.

I may have to reconsider this lens. It appears to be a lot sharper then my 14-42 II.
Dave

and costs 5 times more lol

gotompoes
Regular MemberPosts: 367Gear list
Like?
In reply to jennajenna, Dec 28, 2011

still very cheap for the quality it delivers

gotompoes's gear list:gotompoes's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 II Leica M9-P Olympus PEN E-P5 Nikon Df +14 more
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 15,645Gear list
Like?

As I said when all the wailing and gnashing of teeth of teeth started about this lenses speed, it will be better than people seem to think. Robin's review has done nothing to change my mind on that. I look forward to part two when hopefully he'll show us what it can do in normal use.
--
It's a known fact that where there's tea there's hope.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +4 more
Tim in upstate NY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120Gear list
Like?
Must admit that I spoke too soon . .

NZ Scott wrote:

Hi guys,

Robin Wong has posted the first decent user-review of the Oly 12-50mm on his website. Part one of his review shows that the lens has good macro capability and is plenty sharp at its price-point.

Check out the review at:

robinwong (dot) blogspot (dot) com

. . . Thanks for posting this link. I've been one of those who was more than a little negative about this lens when it was announced but after looking at Robin's photos, I'm thinking that this lens is a lot more attractive than I originally thought. That 100% and 200% crop is truly amazing and it was handheld !!!!

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
mister_roboto
Regular MemberPosts: 295
Like?
Re: Must admit that I spoke too soon . .
In reply to Tim in upstate NY, Dec 28, 2011

I too was on the negative side for this lens when it was announced.

I've had a change of heart, it's really a kit do-it-all lens. Zoom, macro, weather sealed (still weird option all things considered), doing all these things at the expense of speed (and a little with size).

I still won't get it But I'm more interested in the implications of a possible weather sealed Olympus camera, because you know... it would make sense to have one if you're making a weather sealed lens and all.

Camp Freddy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,385Gear list
Like?
macro gap- but will it do portraits?
In reply to NZ Scott, Dec 29, 2011

For me macro is a side show but maybe that is the USP oly were looking for in launching this before a body cut to match the weatherproofing and the video performance.

Look forward to seeing bokeh at over 40mm: if it makes a good portrait lens on speed accuracy of focusing, contrast and of course Bokeh.

Without a good bokeh @45-50mm then they may as well have done say a 60mm fixed macro.

-- hide signature --

================================
Enjoying Photography like never before with the E-450!
Images, photo and gimp tips:
http://olympe450rants.blogspot.com/

NORWEGIAN WOOD GALLERY
http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/888

Olympus' Own E450 Gallery http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/products/dslr/e450/sample/

"to be is to do" Descartes;
"to do is to be" Satre ;

............................"DoBeDoBeDo" Sinatra.
=============================

Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?

Thanks.

On paper it is the perfect landscape lens, and I suppose I will have to get one.

It fills me with no enthusiasm whatever though. .76 is not enough for a macro, and f6.3(?) is terrible. Still, for walks in the hills what more does one actually need?
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
Re: macro gap- but will it do portraits?
In reply to Camp Freddy, Dec 29, 2011

Too slow for portraits. A great lens for landscapers.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

sderdiarian
Senior MemberPosts: 3,071Gear list
Like?
Re: It's right-sized and right-priced
In reply to jennajenna, Dec 29, 2011

jennajenna wrote:

dave92029 wrote:

It's advertised at $499 on Adorama and on other sites, just Google it. It's also definitely not over-sized, being of identical length to the M14-150 and M40/150 (3.27"), a little narrower (2.24"vs their 2.5") and only weighing 7.4 oz. Compare this to the FT 12-60's 3.9" x 3.13", 20.3 oz. and $900 price and you'll understand what Olympus has accomplished.

Based on Wong's review, this is a quality weather-sealed everyday use zoom with the added feature of macro that finally also realizes mFT size and weight advantages. Yes, slower than we'd like, but if resolution is excellent I could probably live with that.

What's of greatest interest to me is it also forecasts an upcoming weather-sealed body from Olympus. My guess, they wanted to create a stir in advance rather than waiting until its ready, thereby getting twice the publicity.

If the weather-sealed body is also "realistically" priced (as opposed to Olympus' usual practice of price gouging on intro, then dropping 2-3 months after) at $600-700 for the body, they'll have a success on their hands.
--
Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Andy Crowe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,543Gear list
Like?
Not really spec'd for portrait work
In reply to Camp Freddy, Dec 29, 2011

For me macro is a side show but maybe that is the USP oly were looking for in launching this before a body cut to match the weatherproofing and the video performance.

Look forward to seeing bokeh at over 40mm: if it makes a good portrait lens on speed accuracy of focusing, contrast and of course Bokeh.

Without a good bokeh @45-50mm then they may as well have done say a 60mm fixed macro.

It's not really spec'd for portrait work, it's more of a rugged travel zoom for outdoor work (weatherproof, macro etc.) and video lens (power zoom), f5.6 - 6.3 isn't going to be enough for portraits. You'd be much better off with the cheap and excellent 45mm f1.8.

Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,198
Like?

NZ Scott wrote:

Robin Wong has posted the first decent user-review of the Oly 12-50mm on his website.

He's obviously managed to block the vast majority of conventional fourthirds out of his memory:

"I personally think that Olympus has always prioritized size/weight over performance ratio"

I just found that line hilarious when you think about lenses like the 35-100! I'm tempted to say that in the (near) past at least it was the complete opposite. They always prioritised optical performance at the expense of size weight!

SteB
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,743
Like?

Just one small point about this review. There are some very nice macros, especially given it was just an outing to test the lens.

However, on the butterfly 200% crop it says "but still, the patterns of the eye is fully visible !!". This is not actually true as most of the detail in the eye visible in this shot is clearly false detail. Close up the structure of a butterflies eye does not look like that. The regular patterns of insect compound eyes often seems to have that effect on image processors. In other words many of the patterns seen in the eye are really digital artifacts, and are not the real structure of the butterfly's eye.

beomagi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,273Gear list
Like?
Re: Must admit that I spoke too soon . .
In reply to Tim in upstate NY, Dec 29, 2011

Tim in upstate NY wrote:

That 100% and 200% crop is truly amazing and it was handheld !!!!

The power of flash

beomagi's gear list:beomagi's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus PEN E-P3 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +4 more
Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,320Gear list
Like?
In reply to sderdiarian, Dec 29, 2011

sderdiarian wrote:

jennajenna wrote:

dave92029 wrote:

It's advertised at $499 on Adorama and on other sites, just Google it. It's also definitely not over-sized, being of identical length to the M14-150 and M40/150 (3.27"), a little narrower (2.24"vs their 2.5") and only weighing 7.4 oz. Compare this to the FT 12-60's 3.9" x 3.13", 20.3 oz. and $900 price and you'll understand what Olympus has accomplished.

If you knew anything about the 12-60, you wouldnt be making this silly comparison.

Based on Wong's review, this is a quality weather-sealed everyday use zoom with the added feature of macro that finally also realizes mFT size and weight advantages. Yes, slower than we'd like, but if resolution is excellent I could probably live with that.

What's of greatest interest to me is it also forecasts an upcoming weather-sealed body from Olympus. My guess, they wanted to create a stir in advance rather than waiting until its ready, thereby getting twice the publicity.

If the weather-sealed body is also "realistically" priced (as opposed to Olympus' usual practice of price gouging on intro, then dropping 2-3 months after) at $600-700 for the body, they'll have a success on their hands.
--
Sailin' Steve

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Kevdog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,352Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jogger, Dec 29, 2011

If you knew anything about the 12-60, you wouldnt be making this silly comparison.

I have to agree. a 12-60@2.8-3.5 is a lot different than a 12-50@3.5-6.3.

A closer comparison is the 14-54. And here's where it gets interesting.

12-50 * 14-54
211g * 435g
57mm * 74mm (diameter)
83mm * 87mm (length)

The weight is the main difference. The diameter is up as well to accomodate the bigger glass. So they could make a fast zoom of the same size and specs, it would just be heavier and a bit bigger diameter. A 2.8-3.5 12-50 would excite people a lot more.

But once I found out it was a kit lens, I stopped being upset at the specs

Kevdog's gear list:Kevdog's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
Mark Thornton
Senior MemberPosts: 2,502Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kevdog, Dec 29, 2011

I seem to remember that the 14-54 was also a kit lens --- on the e-1.

Mark Thornton's gear list:Mark Thornton's gear list
Olympus E-500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +1 more
sderdiarian
Senior MemberPosts: 3,071Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kevdog, Dec 29, 2011

Kevdog wrote:

I have to agree. a 12-60@2.8-3.5 is a lot different than a 12-50@3.5-6.3.

I agree as well; we'll see what tests bear out on optical quality, but the 12-60 (and 14-54 MkII) is the gold standard in FT for a normal zoom. The point I was trying to make was that in terms of size/weight/price, the 12-50 is a better match as an upgrade to the kit zoom for many mFT users. Apologies, posts are more challenging than a simple conversation!

A closer comparison is the 14-54. And here's where it gets interesting.

12-50 * 14-54
211g * 435g
57mm * 74mm (diameter)
83mm * 87mm (length)

The weight is the main difference. The diameter is up as well to accomodate the bigger glass. So they could make a fast zoom of the same size and specs, it would just be heavier and a bit bigger diameter. A 2.8-3.5 12-50 would excite people a lot more.

My take is if one wants the qualities of the 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 MkII, simply buy it. It's virtually the same price ($520 on Amazon) and is CDAF enabled, so I'd expect it to have acceptably fast AF with the newer Pen bodies, and it's an excellent lens, albeit more than twice the weight of the M12-50. The reason Olympus went the route they did was to meet weight and price goals to sell a lot of lenses. Doesn't mean it isn't good even if slower than many would like; tests will bear this out.

But once I found out it was a kit lens, I stopped being upset at the specs

The 14-54mm was the kit lens for the E-3 and had superlative specs; kit lenses don't have to be mediocre.

And many of us bought into Olympus FT (E-510, E-620 user) primarily for their excellent yet affordable SG and HG lenses. I'm still using them with my E-PM1, not as big a deal as some make it out to be.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads