I'm selling my Canon gear ... Which system do you think I should move to?

Started Dec 24, 2011 | Discussions
akin_t
Senior MemberPosts: 2,735
Like?
I'm selling my Canon gear ... Which system do you think I should move to?
Dec 24, 2011

As much as I love my 7D, I need some money for more important things (all my gear should net me $4500 so it's hard to keep all that money around when I'm struggling).

I have taken long and hard to think about this decision and decided it was the best move as I don't take that many pictures anymore anyway.

I was thinking of something small and casual like the NEX series, I definitely don't want to shoot with anything less than APS-C but if I buy a cheaper Canon body I am too used to the 17-55mm to shoot with a kit lens.

Any one have any ideas? Budget is $700 for a body and kit lens.

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
birdbrain
Senior MemberPosts: 3,233Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm selling my Canon gear ... Which system do you think I should move to?
In reply to akin_t, Dec 24, 2011

akin_t wrote:

As much as I love my 7D, I need some money for more important things (all my gear should net me $4500 so it's hard to keep all that money around when I'm struggling).

I have taken long and hard to think about this decision and decided it was the best move as I don't take that many pictures anymore anyway.

I was thinking of something small and casual like the NEX series, I definitely don't want to shoot with anything less than APS-C but if I buy a cheaper Canon body I am too used to the 17-55mm to shoot with a kit lens.

Erm... if you are so used to shooting with the 17-55 and you could not shoot with a "kit lens" then why mention the NEX series as the lens currently available for it would seem to be no better than a 'kit lens"?

Most P&S type cameras are not going to have a lens equal to your 17-55.

If you love the 17-55 so much why not go for a EOS 600D and keep your 17-55 and sell everything else? The price difference between a NEX 5 and a 600D is not that much.

You seem to be saying by mentioning the Nex series you are not prepared to give up interchangeable lenses? So most P&S are out of the running one would assume then.

Get the 600D keep the 17-55 and sell everything else, would be my suggestion.

-- hide signature --

Phil

I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
akin_t
Senior MemberPosts: 2,735
Like?
In reply to birdbrain, Dec 24, 2011

Well part of the reason I don't shoot much is the inconvenience of carrying a DSLR. I believe if I had something less conspicuous I would have my camera with me more often.

I don't know, I might just call it a day and get a damn P&S ... I really need the money I guess.

MAC
MAC
Forum ProPosts: 12,268Gear list
Like?
In reply to akin_t, Dec 24, 2011

$199

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/753768-REG/Canon_5128B001_Powershot_500_HS_Digital.html

I have one and it is a blast

f2, 24-105, IS, can take some good low light without flash

akin_t wrote:

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Karl Gnter Wnsch
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,770
Like?
In reply to akin_t, Dec 25, 2011

akin_t wrote:

Well part of the reason I don't shoot much is the inconvenience of carrying a DSLR. I believe if I had something less conspicuous I would have my camera with me more often.

If you expect anything like the 17-55 f/2.8 lens in terms of quality coupled with an APS-C sized sensor then you are out of luck, the size is pretty much set by those two parameters, you can't get much smaller or less conspicuous (if anything you are even more conspicuous with a large lens on a NEX type body).

I really need the money I guess.

The idea to get the 600D (or 550D) and keeping your 17-55mm would save you the hit you take by selling it.
--
regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,063Gear list
Like?
No Offense, DUMB MOVE = Lose MONEY selling in Today's Market!
In reply to birdbrain, Dec 25, 2011

If you desire to switch, then switch. But don't expect to saved money, in fact, be prepare to lose lots money in doing so. Some reasoning are:

• 1. Economy is bad - nobody is buying your used gear , unless you're willing to lose money by selling them at ridiculous price

• 2. Economy is tough- people get by with a much cheaper Rebel or 50d than a 7d

• 3.used Canon 7D body only sell between [$841 - $1050] on ebay today, you take a lost of $400-$550 depends on how much you bought your 7D for

• 4. Canon 17-55 f/2.8 sell between [$700 - $850] you take another lost their

I don't know what other canon gears you have, but if they're not premium product like a 7D or 17-55, expect to sell them HALF OFF.

You can give up on ebay and sell them on Craigslist. But then again, you're inundated yourself with (1) Nigerian Scams (2) Low Ballers - who expect you to sell him your 7D for $500 (3) 2-3 months to sell any lens. Locally in LA, I see people posting the same Canon 17-55 f/2.8 for $750 without a buyer. 2 years ago, canon 17-55 goes for $900 locally and Ad disappear within a day. Times has changed. Now is simply a terrible time to sell.

Good Luck

Its a matter of supply and demand. Right now, we have an oversupply of used camera gear everywhere. Nobody pays full retails, nobody pays a premium for used gear no more.

birdbrain wrote:

Get the 600D keep the 17-55 and sell everything else, would be my suggestion.

Ironically, I think this is the cheapest way out.

Glassfish
Regular MemberPosts: 319
Like?

It is really your plan for shooting next with the smaller gears. If you really need a compact that can be very casual then from my experience S95/S100 is not bad. I used it a lot more than the big guys now a day. You can put it into your pocket and people are not so react to it when you pull it out in certain places. It is a lot of fun.

Good luck.

mforbes
Regular MemberPosts: 378Gear list
Like?
In reply to Glassfish, Dec 25, 2011

I would suggest the Sony SLT a33, they are currently selling for $599.00 with the very good kit lens. I have this camera, it is fun to use, takes great video and the best part for me is the JPEGs straight out of the camera are great, don't need to fiddle around with RAW processing. Here is an example, no processing, just press the shutter. And don't worry about what you may hear regarding the EVF, people on here claim it sucks but they have never used it, it is not bad. Good luck! http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattforbes/5527168477/in/photostream

mforbes's gear list:mforbes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 +35 more
mansito
Contributing MemberPosts: 879
Like?

1 used rebel(XT plus 20mm or 24 or 28)
2 used G9 to G12)
3 4thirds I believe (oly EPN3 17mm)
The $700 and size limitation dictate something like this.

R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,268Gear list
Like?
In reply to Glassfish, Dec 25, 2011

+1

Glassfish wrote:

It is really your plan for shooting next with the smaller gears.

If you really need a compact that can be very casual then from my experience S95/S100 is not bad. I used it a lot more than the big guys now a day. You can put it into your pocket and people are not so react to it when you pull it out in certain places. It is a lot of fun.

Or if your pref is Sony (compacts), then I would highly recommend one of those (I always carry a T-series with me). It's surprisingly capable, and a heckofa LOT of fun.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.

http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 650D
puttin
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,800Gear list
Like?

akin_t wrote:

Sounds like the NEX 5N/18-55 is what you need, excellent IQ in a small package

puttin's gear list:puttin's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X100S Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Nikon D7100 +25 more
gskolenda
Contributing MemberPosts: 670Gear list
Like?

akin_t wrote:

I don't know, I might just call it a day and get a damn P&S ... I really need the money I guess.

You can get a Sony NEX-5n with two lens's for $799.00 They are fantastic! I have had many Canon bodies, and lens's I, too, was tired of schleping all that gear around.

I'm sure there will be many loyal Canon defenders here for there equipment. But, let me say that I can capture most of the types of photography that I did with my latest 7D, except some extreme telephoto work. But that will come. Plus, you have an enormous choice of manual focus lens's including some of the sharpest and fastes primes available from Canon, Nikon, Ziess, Leica, Minolta plus all the third party lens that are starting to come out. I just purchased a Canon 50-mm f1.4 for $150.00 that looks and operates like it was brand new, thats a 75mm on my NEX, fast and sharp as a tack! Just super for portrait and video. the adapter for canon was $29.00

this way you can keep most of your money and still have a real nice system for a lot smaller investment.
Leon

gskolenda's gear list:gskolenda's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8
Sidekicker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,480Gear list
Like?

Sorry to hear that these tough times have affected you to the point of considering selling your current gear.

Perhaps a used late model Rebel will address the situation.

I wish that 2012 will be a prosperous one for you and yours.

Sidekicker's gear list:Sidekicker's gear list
Canon PowerShot A620 Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 50D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
Jim Flavin
Regular MemberPosts: 233
Like?
In reply to Sidekicker, Dec 25, 2011

As has been mentoioned the Nex 5 gets gppd re views and comments . I would also consider a used Canon G10 - or even the 12 . the 10 at base iso gives excellt IQ . Good Luck .
--
jim flavin

Karl Gnter Wnsch
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,770
Like?
In reply to mforbes, Dec 25, 2011

mforbes wrote:

I would suggest the Sony SLT a33, they are currently selling for $599.00 with the very good kit lens.

You mean the camera that Sony discontinued within months of being announced because of a fatal flaw in the sensor design?
--
regards
Karl Günter Wünsch

Jerry-astro
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,675Gear list
Like?
Bummer, but not a bad direction to take...

It's a shame you have to ditch your equipment under those circumstances, but the direction you're going may give you some of the best of both the P&S and DSLR world. I have a bit of experience with the NEX series (older NEX-5) having helped my wife evaluate and purchase one. The IQ, even of the older series, is excellent and for the most part surprisingly comparable (RAW, not JPG) with my 7D, even at higher ISOs. I took some time to take comparable photographs under a variety of conditions at various ISOs when we first bought the camera.

The kit lens (18-55) is pretty decent -- not necessarily equal to the 17-55, but then again, not all that many lenses are. The only downside really is the viewfinder-only display, a problem which has been mostly remedied with the newer NEX-5N via the optional EVF. That's something she'd really kill for with her older NEX-5, but it would simply be too expensive to sell and trade up. Just make sure you include some budget for that accessory. Trying to compose shots in bright sunlight without that EVF would be a nightmare, as we've discovered.

Best of luck with your new kit and hope it can help you rekindle (or at least keep alive) your interest in photography. When things turn around, you may have a whole new set of options available in the DSLR world should you decide to return.

akin_t wrote:

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12
R Johns
Senior MemberPosts: 1,801
Like?
akin_t...
In reply to akin_t, Dec 26, 2011

Hello...

It sounds like a tough decision is ahead for you...

You know, recently I have been spending a great amount of time researching the smaller compact designs too. Although, I've decided I cannot live without my Canon gear, I do want to upgrade my P&S to something more substantial in IQ.

I definetely like my P&S (Olympus XZ-1), but I want a little more flexibility and still keep the size down, as I almost never grab my Canon gear, unless I am heading out to do a serious photographing outing.

I have come to these conclusions, and you'll notice, it's all about the lenses...

~ I've ruled out the Sony Nex series, because the lenses are still big, for the comparative focal lengths, and the "Nex" lenses are not high enough in IQ (yet) for my needs.

~ I have discovered that the new 16mp Micro Four Thirds sensor from Panasonic is amazingly close in resolution to my 60D's sensor. In fact, Imaging-Resource.com states "Overall, the Panasonic G3's JPEG images print amazingly well, rivaling the Canon 60D's images, and challenging any concern that Micro Four Thirds sensors would continue to lag in image quality behind their APS-C competition." Either the G3 or the GX1 would be excellent cameras, with lenses that are as good as Canon's pro-comsumer lenses, yet they are very small...

~ I am finding that Olympus has the best lenses for IQ. Even their new 14-42mm II kit lens has IQ almost as good as my 15-85mm EF-S lens. Their prime lenses are superb, and tiny (check out the Olympus 45mm F2 prime). However, their 12mp sensors are really outdated and don't provide the IQ that the newer Panasonic sensor does. There is one very important caveat though...Even though you can use the Panasonic and Olympus lenses on the other manufacturesr's bodies, the Olympus lenses won't have any kind of stabelization on a Panny body, because Panny stabelizes their lenses, not the sensors. Olympus stabelizes the sensor, so either manufacturer's lenses, when used on an Olympus body, will be stabelized.

At the end of the day, I have decided to purchase the Olympus E-PL3. I already have the Olympus EVF, so that expense is spared. I know Oly will catch up with Panny , regarding the newer sensors, so that is not a concern for me. I just find it to be prudent to go with Oly, for the advantage I will get with the ability to use lenses from both manufacturers to their greatest extent. However, if that ability is not a concern, and you find the Panny lens line-up to be more than adequate, then I would have to say the best overall value (today) is the Panasonic G3 2 lens kit...

Good luck in your decision, and please share with us what you decide to do...

Regards,

Russ

Greater is He that is within me, than he who is in this world...

digital_photog
Contributing MemberPosts: 762
Like?

If you can sell your gear and get a reasonable price then look at micro 4\3 cameras. I recently purchased a Olympus EPL 1 with 2 lenses from Ri__ camera for 399. It certainly does not replace any of my Canon gear but it works great when I don't want to carry the system around. It fits in my fanny pack.

Drareg Ajerap
Forum MemberPosts: 76
Like?

S100

brent collins
Senior MemberPosts: 1,907
Like?
MFT

Picked up and E-PL2 last year after shoulder surgery. On the everyday stuff it's top notch. Still use the 7D, but I can see myself changing over to the MFT for the vacation stuff and maybe everything but studio or paid gigs. Super IQ, flexible and best of all....tiny which is great for street work.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads