E520 flash refuses to fire

Started Dec 23, 2011 | Discussions
Mark9473
Contributing MemberPosts: 735Gear list
Like?
E520 flash refuses to fire
Dec 23, 2011

The last couple of times I've used my E520, I couldn't get it to fire its flash. Tried the built-in flash as well as two different external hot-shoe mounted flashes. I even tried to shoot in Auto mode - the camera will pop up the built-in flash, indicate an orange flash symbol on the display, but then it doesn't fire.

Is there any setting that could cause this to happen, or is the camera simply malfunctioning? Would this be expensive to fix?
--
Mark
my gallery: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/5120988127/albums

Mark9473's gear list:Mark9473's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus E-30 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus SZ-10 +1 more
Olympus E-520
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
gfraser7
Regular MemberPosts: 414
Like?
Re: E520 flash refuses to fire
In reply to Mark9473, Dec 23, 2011

I have this problem periodically but then it will start to work again. Who knows?
Good luck with it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Barry Stewart
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,103Gear list
Like?
I hope it's easy to trouble-shoot
In reply to Mark9473, Dec 23, 2011

First, I'd try the built-in flash in Manual mode.

It should fire every time... unless you've turned it off.

Next, see if the strobing AF-assist will work. (You may have to re-enable it in your menu). Try it in a dim room, where the camera will have trouble focusing without some help. If focus assist works, you know your built-in flash is not burned out.

With the hot-shoe flashes, the trouble may be with dirty contacts. Clean them with a pencil-end eraser. Be sure to brush away any debris.

I just had a thought that if all of these still fail... did you use a 3rd-party flash with a high voltage and fry some circuitry? I hope that isn't the case.

I'm not sure how dated this is, but here's a good list of trigger voltages. (Ah... I see "2004" at the top.) http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Michael Meissener can advise more, hopefully.
--
Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +10 more
Mark9473
Contributing MemberPosts: 735Gear list
Like?
Re: I hope it's easy to trouble-shoot
In reply to Barry Stewart, Dec 23, 2011

Thanks Barry,

I tried manual exposure mode with the flash raised; it didn't fire.

I tried switching the AF Assist light back on in the menu, and the flash didn't fire either.

Sounds like something is fried...

BTW the two hotshoe mounted flashes were indeed third party flashes, but I've been using them for years and I'm pretty certain they're not the problem.
--
Mark
my gallery: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/5120988127/albums

Mark9473's gear list:Mark9473's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus E-30 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus SZ-10 +1 more
Barry Stewart
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,103Gear list
Like?
Re: I hope it's easy to trouble-shoot
In reply to Mark9473, Dec 24, 2011

That doesn't sound good then, Mark.

Michael M. may still drop by. He's Mr. Flash in these parts.
--
Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads