DPReivew settings - can I disable flat view?

Started Dec 22, 2011 | Discussions
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,481Gear list
Like?
DPReivew settings - can I disable flat view?
Dec 22, 2011

Is there a way to remove flat view/threaded view as an option when I'm looking in forums here? As I go through a thread, the menu entries at the top of the screen shift position, and instead of going to the next message, I end up clicking on Flat View, and the whole thread shifts to another view. Then I have to tediously scroll all the way back up (some threads are quite long) to get out of a view I never want.

-- hide signature --
 PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +28 more
GordonAtWork
Regular MemberPosts: 434Gear list
Like?
Re: DPReivew settings - can I disable flat view?
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, Dec 22, 2011

I don't think you can unless you write a script for this site specifically. I suggest a little more attention to where you click your mouse. Do you have threaded view option set in your profile ? I'm sure there is an option but if not, the computer should remember which option you choose. It should default to that every time you read a thread. Perhaps someone else can confirm this for you.
--
Moderator wannabe !

GordonAtWork's gear list:GordonAtWork's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS D60 Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rkhndjr
Forum ProPosts: 12,192
Like?

Of course. Just click on Flat View at top of post. It will change to Threaded View, vice versa
--

Time, that aged nurse,
rocked me to patience.

PHXAZCRAIG
Like?
In reply to rkhndjr, Dec 22, 2011

Geez, does anyone actually read for content anymore?

Look at the menu above this post. Do you see the Next button?

Do you see what is right above it?

Go to a long thread and start reading messages. That Next button will be right there, time after time - until it happens to not be there, but Flat view does. And then, 55 messages into a 100 message thread, it will happen. You'll be in Flat view. And the ONLY place to change it back is to scroll all the way up to the beginning (even if you happen to be at the end of the thread).

When this happens to you the 10th time, you'll be annoyed. When it happens the 100th time, you'll be wondering how to disable the d*mn option.

-- hide signature --
GordonAtWork
Regular MemberPosts: 434Gear list
Like?

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

Geez, does anyone actually read for content anymore?

Look at the menu above this post. Do you see the Next button?

Do you see what is right above it?

Go to a long thread and start reading messages. That Next button will be right there, time after time - until it happens to not be there, but Flat view does. And then, 55 messages into a 100 message thread, it will happen. You'll be in Flat view. And the ONLY place to change it back is to scroll all the way up to the beginning (even if you happen to be at the end of the thread).

When this happens to you the 10th time, you'll be annoyed. When it happens the 100th time, you'll be wondering how to disable the d*mn option.

-- hide signature --

Chill man !!

If you read my reply I said I didn't think there was an option but for your reference, I've just read every page on a thread with 135 posts, all in flat view. I went back and forth several times too. Not once did I see the Flat View button instead of the Next button. The Next button is two rows down and further to the left than the FV button. Maybe your browser cache is getting corrupted ?
Try pressing CTRL + F5 and see if that makes a difference.

-- hide signature --

Moderator wannabe !

GordonAtWork's gear list:GordonAtWork's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS D60 Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +9 more
PHXAZCRAIG
Like?
In reply to GordonAtWork, Dec 22, 2011

Yeah, I apologize, I should chill.

But it's frustrating. I don't want flat view, ever. I just want that button to either go away, or get moved somewhere well away from the Next button.

Again, what happens I think is this. I start reading a thread, and click on the Next button. And click 'there' again, and again, and again. Suddenly things shift around on my screen, because of embedded images. I move the mouse and click Next again. And they shift back, and next time I click 'there', I'm actually over the Flat view button instead of the Next button, and the whole thread expands all over the place.

Wouldn't be bad if there was an option to the side of the thread to put it back into Threaded view, but I have to scroll all the way to the top of the thread again. It gets frustrating.

A similar thing happens sometimes where I hit the Complain button, but I have a cancel option right there, so it's no problem to just revert back where I was.

-- hide signature --
Adrian Godong
dpreview AdminPosts: 400Gear list
Like?
Re: DPReview settings - can I disable flat view?

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

Yeah, I apologize, I should chill.

But it's frustrating. I don't want flat view, ever. I just want that button to either go away, or get moved somewhere well away from the Next button.

Again, what happens I think is this. I start reading a thread, and click on the Next button. And click 'there' again, and again, and again. Suddenly things shift around on my screen, because of embedded images. I move the mouse and click Next again. And they shift back, and next time I click 'there', I'm actually over the Flat view button instead of the Next button, and the whole thread expands all over the place.

There's the alternative of pressing the key "n" to go to the next message if clicking is too slow for you.

Wouldn't be bad if there was an option to the side of the thread to put it back into Threaded view, but I have to scroll all the way to the top of the thread again. It gets frustrating.

You can use your back button to go back to where you came from.

A similar thing happens sometimes where I hit the Complain button, but I have a cancel option right there, so it's no problem to just revert back where I was.

-- hide signature --

But yes, you did raise a valid point on disabling one view. I sometimes receive links that point to flat view and have to click threaded view to go to my preferred view. We'll take a note of this for future development.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Adrian Godong
DPReview.com

Adrian Godong's gear list:Adrian Godong's gear list
Nikon D60 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads