The Konica Hexanon 60/1.2, Limited Edition.

Started Dec 21, 2011 | Discussions
Prosophos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,590
Like?
The Konica Hexanon 60/1.2, Limited Edition.
Dec 21, 2011

The lens write-up I thought I'd never attempt:

http://prosophos.com/2011/12/21/the-konica-hexanon-60mm-f1-2-special-edition/

It's my attempt to add to the literature of this interesting lens.

Peter.
http://www.prosophos.com

(Note: cross-posted on LUF and RFF)

-- hide signature --

Peter | Prosophos
http://www.prosophos.com

Choi
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,257
Like?
Peter,
In reply to Prosophos, Dec 21, 2011

you are torturing me mentioning and showing those 'painterly" bokeh....:-))

Many thanks for your wonderful write-up of this piece of unique lens. I see it as a thoughtful Christmas gift to us. I mean the article, not the lens.....:-))

Best,

Choi

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jpfisher
Regular MemberPosts: 255Gear list
Like?
Re: The Konica Hexanon 60/1.2, Limited Edition.
In reply to Prosophos, Dec 21, 2011

Peter,

Love your work--your blog has been added to my RSS feed.

Nice writeup on the Hex, but one suggestion to help reading posts like this--check out the Fancybox plugin for Wordpress. I use it on my site and it lets you enlarge an image without having to leave the page.
--
Jim

http://www.daguerreotyping.com

 jpfisher's gear list:jpfisher's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica M Typ 240 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +26 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Artichoke
Forum ProPosts: 11,664Gear list
Like?
great review, Peter
In reply to Prosophos, Dec 21, 2011

one of the best lens reviews I have read

despite your obvious affection for this lens jewel, you gave a full breadth account of its capabilities
got me drooling again
--
--
pbase & dpreview supporter
DPR forum member since 5/2001
http://www.pbase.com/artichoke

"Avoid making a commotion, just as you wouldn’t stir up the water before fishing. Don’t use a flash out of respect for the natural lighting, even when there isn’t any. If these rules aren’t followed, the photographer becomes unbearably obtrusive" -- attributed to HCB

 Artichoke's gear list:Artichoke's gear list
Agfa ePhoto 1680 Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Leica M8 Nikon D3X Leica M9 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RaajS
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,631
Like?
Re: great review, Peter
In reply to Artichoke, Dec 21, 2011

+2!

Well done, Peter. Love the images. You article probably will push demand up and hence the price, given the supply!

Cheers,
-raaj

Artichoke wrote:

one of the best lens reviews I have read

despite your obvious affection for this lens jewel, you gave a full breadth account of its capabilities
got me drooling again
--
--
pbase & dpreview supporter
DPR forum member since 5/2001
http://www.pbase.com/artichoke

"Avoid making a commotion, just as you wouldn’t stir up the water before fishing. Don’t use a flash out of respect for the natural lighting, even when there isn’t any. If these rules aren’t followed, the photographer becomes unbearably obtrusive" -- attributed to HCB

-- hide signature --

'Change is not Mandatory, you don't have to Survive...'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Godfrey
Forum ProPosts: 26,816
Like?
Re: The Konica Hexanon 60/1.2, Limited Edition.
In reply to Prosophos, Dec 21, 2011

Excelent write up and a fascinating lens! Thanks!
--
Godfrey
http://godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
g2van
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?
Re: The Konica Hexanon 60/1.2, Limited Edition.
In reply to Godfrey, Dec 21, 2011

Thanks for the great review, Peter: brief, opinionated and full of real world examples.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Prosophos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,590
Like?
Dear Choi,
In reply to Choi, Dec 21, 2011

Dear Choi,

Thank you for your comments.

On an unrelated but important note, you are a "class act" my friend and I have enjoyed your travel images for years now and, more importantly, your contribution to this forum which is always positive.

My best to you and your wife for 2012...

Peter.

Choi wrote:

you are torturing me mentioning and showing those 'painterly" bokeh....:-))

Many thanks for your wonderful write-up of this piece of unique lens. I see it as a thoughtful Christmas gift to us. I mean the article, not the lens.....:-))

Best,

Choi

-- hide signature --

Peter | Prosophos
http://www.prosophos.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Prosophos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,590
Like?
Dear Jim,
In reply to jpfisher, Dec 21, 2011

jpfisher wrote:

Peter,

Love your work--your blog has been added to my RSS feed.

Very kind of you sir!

Nice writeup on the Hex, but one suggestion to help reading posts like this--check out the Fancybox plugin for Wordpress. I use it on my site and it lets you enlarge an image without having to leave the page.

That's a great suggestion, but I'm afraid I use one of the generic Wordpress templates and, although I can navigate quite nicely through the existing widgets, I don't have a clue as to how to implement other plugins like Fancybox which -- you're correct -- my site desperately needs.

Peter.

-- hide signature --

Peter | Prosophos
http://www.prosophos.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Prosophos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,590
Like?
Dear Arthur,
In reply to Artichoke, Dec 21, 2011

Artichoke wrote:

one of the best lens reviews I have read

despite your obvious affection for this lens jewel, you gave a full breadth account of its capabilities

Thank your for noticing that, despite -- as you write -- my "obvious affection" for the lens, I tried to shed light on the good and the bad.

got me drooling again

Sorry about that!

Arthur, similar to my comments to Choi above, I just wanted to convey to you how much I cherish the contributions you make here, year after year. You are an eloquent thinker and writer and it is a delight to peruse your prose.

Ooops, I guess we'll all be accused of belonging to a "country club"

Peter.

-- hide signature --

Peter | Prosophos
http://www.prosophos.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Prosophos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,590
Like?
Dear Godfrey,
In reply to Godfrey, Dec 21, 2011

My sincere thank you to you for your kind feedback, both here and on the site.

My best to you and your family in 2012 and beyond....

Peter.

Godfrey wrote:

Excelent write up and a fascinating lens! Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Peter | Prosophos
http://www.prosophos.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Prosophos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,590
Like?
Dear g2van,
In reply to g2van, Dec 21, 2011

My pleasure! I'm glad you thought the write-up was "opinionated", because I really did want to leave my personal stamp on things. Don't know about it being brief though... ;), it took a while to string my thoughts and images together!

Peter.

g2van wrote:

Thanks for the great review, Peter: brief, opinionated and full of real world examples.

-- hide signature --

Peter | Prosophos
http://www.prosophos.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DCV
DCV
Contributing MemberPosts: 569
Like?
Re: The Konica Hexanon 60/1.2, Limited Edition.
In reply to Prosophos, Dec 21, 2011

Hi Peter,

I really enjoyed your review and of course, I love the images you used to illustrate your points. Thank you for taking the time to write it up. As you pointed out in your review, Yanidel's work is the reason why I - as many other photographers - have become fascinated with the lens. Even though I've had mine for almost 9 months and have used it extensively, it continues to amaze me and surprise me.

Dana
--
http://danacvoss.blogspot.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Knorp
Senior MemberPosts: 2,968Gear list
Like?
Re: The Konica Hexanon 60/1.2, Limited Edition.
In reply to Prosophos, Dec 21, 2011

Interesting write-up of this wonderful lens, Peter.
You make good use of it and handle it well, the proof is in the pictures !

All the very best.

........................................................................................................
Bart

 Knorp's gear list:Knorp's gear list
Leica M8 Leica M9-P Pentax K-5 IIs Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jpfisher
Regular MemberPosts: 255Gear list
Like?
Re: Dear Jim,
In reply to Prosophos, Dec 22, 2011

Let me know if you need help setting it up--but you basically just add it from the plugin from the admin panel plugin search and activate it. You just have to make sure that photos are linked to JPG files rather than an HTML page.

Drop me a private message if you need any assistance.

-- hide signature --
 jpfisher's gear list:jpfisher's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica M Typ 240 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +26 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Per PN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,263
Like?
Re: The Konica Hexanon 60/1.2, Limited Edition.
In reply to Prosophos, Dec 22, 2011

Great review and photos. I don't like it's signature but I do think it fits your style very well.
--
Per Nicolaisen

Photo's of my East Greenland:
http://www.byper.net

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
g2van
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?
Re: Dear g2van,
In reply to Prosophos, Dec 22, 2011

Sorry for the misunderstanding : I meant brevity in sentence structure, but fullness in expression. Not the long, meandering ramblings of other writers who do not seem to have discovered editing or feel that more words = better writing. Your writing style gets the point across economically and effectively. That makes it a great read.

Prosophos wrote:

My pleasure! I'm glad you thought the write-up was "opinionated", because I really did want to leave my personal stamp on things. Don't know about it being brief though... ;), it took a while to string my thoughts and images together!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
intruder61
Senior MemberPosts: 2,494Gear list
Like?
Re: The Konica Hexanon 60/1.2, Limited Edition.
In reply to Prosophos, Dec 22, 2011

enjoyable read, beautiful images and a wonderful lens. cheers.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Prosophos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,590
Like?
Re: Dear g2van,
In reply to g2van, Dec 22, 2011

Ahh, I see. Thank you...I spent quite a bit of time trying to express myself clearly and succinctly, and making the text "flow". Thank you for noticing!

Peter.

g2van wrote:

Sorry for the misunderstanding : I meant brevity in sentence structure, but fullness in expression. Not the long, meandering ramblings of other writers who do not seem to have discovered editing or feel that more words = better writing. Your writing style gets the point across economically and effectively. That makes it a great read.

Prosophos wrote:

My pleasure! I'm glad you thought the write-up was "opinionated", because I really did want to leave my personal stamp on things. Don't know about it being brief though... ;), it took a while to string my thoughts and images together!

-- hide signature --

Peter | Prosophos
http://www.prosophos.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Prosophos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,590
Like?
Re: The Konica Hexanon 60/1.2, Limited Edition.
In reply to DCV, Dec 22, 2011

Hi Dana,

I suspect Yanidel doesn't fully realize the influence he's had on a whole bunch of us.

Thank you so much for reading the piece and for letting me know that you enjoyed it!

Have continued fun with your copy!

Peter.

DCV wrote:

Hi Peter,

I really enjoyed your review and of course, I love the images you used to illustrate your points. Thank you for taking the time to write it up. As you pointed out in your review, Yanidel's work is the reason why I - as many other photographers - have become fascinated with the lens. Even though I've had mine for almost 9 months and have used it extensively, it continues to amaze me and surprise me.

Dana
--
http://danacvoss.blogspot.com/

-- hide signature --

Peter | Prosophos
http://www.prosophos.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads