85mm f1.4 - Samsung vs Samyang (Walimex)

Started Dec 14, 2011 | Discussions
Kirill_est
Regular MemberPosts: 358
Like?
85mm f1.4 - Samsung vs Samyang (Walimex)
Dec 14, 2011

I am considering buying the much cheaper Samyang (Walimex) lens. Their optical and size specs are virtually the same and I cannot afford paying 500 EUR more just for the AF motor, assuming that the image quality is quite similar? Has anyone been able to try both and what conclusions have you made? Thanks in advance!

-- hide signature --

Here is my personal photo blog:
http://kirillqpr.blogspot.com/

tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,118Gear list
Like?
Re: 85mm f1.4 - Samsung vs Samyang (Walimex)
In reply to Kirill_est, Dec 14, 2011

I did NOT try both (not the Samsung lens), but you can find my Samyang samples here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1001&message=40070048

and here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1001&message=39621793

I really like this cheap lens, it's really sharp and has a great bokeh. The drawback is MF, but it's not that difficult to use and nail a nice shot.

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
paulhome
Contributing MemberPosts: 832Gear list
Like?
In reply to tecnoworld, Dec 14, 2011

I havent used either, but would be interesting is a side by side comparison.

For this lens i wouldt see MF being a huge drawback , in fact personally i think i'd prefer MF to AF on a 85/1.4.

Kirill_est
Like?
In reply to tecnoworld, Dec 14, 2011

Thanks, did you have to choose from among several units or was the very first one you got your hands on already fine, no decentering etc.? Did you buy it online or in a shop and how much did you pay for it? I am in Europe and I usually get my stuff from Amazon UK but it is listed there at about GBP 330 which I think is not the best deal. I will be going to Hong Kong next month, I wonder if I should get it there instead...

-- hide signature --

tecnoworld
Like?

I was quite lucky; I won an auction starting from 1 euro, which arrived to about 200 euro shipped, which is a good deal, I think. The lens is perfect and has no apparent flaws.

Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
cucumber
Regular MemberPosts: 441
Like?

250 EUR on Amazon DE, shipping is cheap

Kirill_est
Like?
In reply to cucumber, Dec 14, 2011

Cheers mate, I know a little German so I can order from there instead of the UK site

cucumber wrote:

250 EUR on Amazon DE, shipping is cheap

-- hide signature --

Ariston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401
Like?

although both lens are sharp at wide open, the Samsung is more sharper and is very contrasty. the Samsung performance hugely improves a lot as you step down in each aperture while the Samyang doesn't. the Walimex has a slightly better bokeh IMO due to the thinner depth of field. nailing focus for the Samsung is a lot easier and manual focus is a lot smoother as well. the Samsung has a shorter focus throw compared to the Walimex. also, you can shoot with the Samsung up close which you can't do with the Walimex. DMF and I-function feature is a great addition, and being able to magnify a chosen focus point comes a lot handy for composition and further and accurate focusing. in all, you are not only getting a silent and a decent fast AF . if you think the things that I mentioned are not important for you in the 85, then stick with the Walimex.

tecnoworld
Like?
In reply to Ariston, Dec 14, 2011

I use the Samyang 99% at wide open and I must say that it's very sharp for such a fast lens. Also the contrast is very, very good, as (I hope) can be seen from my concert pictures linked above.

The only negative drawback I see from the Samyang is that it's extremely heavy.

verybiglebowski
Senior MemberPosts: 3,022Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ariston, Dec 14, 2011

Ariston wrote:

although both lens are sharp at wide open, the Samsung is more sharper and is very contrasty. the Samsung performance hugely improves a lot as you step down in each aperture while the Samyang doesn't. the Walimex has a slightly better bokeh IMO due to the thinner depth of field. nailing focus for the Samsung is a lot easier and manual focus is a lot smoother as well. the Samsung has a shorter focus throw compared to the Walimex. also, you can shoot with the Samsung up close which you can't do with the Walimex. DMF and I-function feature is a great addition, and being able to magnify a chosen focus point comes a lot handy for composition and further and accurate focusing. in all, you are not only getting a silent and a decent fast AF . if you think the things that I mentioned are not important for you in the 85, then stick with the Walimex.

I hadn't chance to test both, but I did test 4 85s lenses for Canon just recently.

I probably would agree, that at f1.4 Samyang (Walimex) wasn't the sharpest lens from the bunch, but I couldn't say it's field relevant. What surprises me the most, was the quality of the bokeh, where from several files I compared, I found Samyang bokeh to be somewhat smoother at f1.4 than the Canon legend - 85 f1.2 L II.

I can't argue with you about AF or iFunc, that should be obviously benefit of Samsung, but optically Samyang is really good. Not to speak about the price.

If interested, you can check some of comparison here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/viktor_viktor/sets/72157627408359827/
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/viktor_viktor/
http://verybiglobo.blogspot.com/

zipcode
Forum MemberPosts: 61
Like?
In reply to verybiglebowski, Dec 16, 2011

The samyang is the logical choice if you don't need the AF. But be careful, lack of AF can be a deal breaker for most. I have read forums before buying the samyang, and the percentage of people who say they just don't use the samyang much because of MF is very large.

As far as sharpness is concerned, I wouldn't worry about getting any of them, they are both perfectly adequate. What can be a problem for samyang, (and from what I've seen, much less on samsung) is the loCA. It is severe, and you'll want to avoid any white or bright patches in the background.

The weight is less on samyang, and the shape makes it very easy to hold together with a nx100, much easier than other heavy lenses I have. If you get it, note that you'll need to set iso manually, you need around 1/150s for this focal length to avoid hand shake blur.

tjobbe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,256Gear list
Like?
In reply to zipcode, Dec 16, 2011

if you are ok with MF and ok to buy used stuff check out to get an f2/85mm OM Zuiko which is nearly same size as the OM f1,4/50 but sharper than this (close to the f1,8/50)

Together with an OM-> NX adapter its nearly same length as the 18-55Kit and a pleasure to use.

I got mine for ~ 100 Euro.

I am not sure if I would go for the Samyang versus the NX as one key feature I am using most with NX200 is the DMF feature to access MF quickly from within AF mode.

Cheers, Tjobbe

tjobbe's gear list:tjobbe's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +18 more
discusaigon
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
In reply to tjobbe, Mar 20, 2012

Hi,

I'm actualy wondering if getting the samsung worth it for my use.

I think I can manage to only have manuel focus as I already used a NX10 + 50 mm minolta for my past holydays.

Do you know if the infinite position is accuarate with the samyang?

(I experienced difficulties with my minolta to get a sharp focus on the infinite position)

thanks for any advices.

verybiglebowski
Senior MemberPosts: 3,022Gear list
Like?
In reply to discusaigon, Mar 20, 2012

discusaigon wrote:

Hi,

I'm actualy wondering if getting the samsung worth it for my use.

I think I can manage to only have manuel focus as I already used a NX10 + 50 mm minolta for my past holydays.

Do you know if the infinite position is accuarate with the samyang?

Mine is going slightly behind infinity, but it is much better than Samyang 14mm in that regard.

(I experienced difficulties with my minolta to get a sharp focus on the infinite position)

thanks for any advices.

Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,189
Like?
I agree
In reply to tecnoworld, Mar 20, 2012

tecnoworld wrote:

I did NOT try both (not the Samsung lens), but you can find my Samyang samples here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1001&message=40070048

and here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1001&message=39621793

I really like this cheap lens, it's really sharp and has a great bokeh. The drawback is MF, but it's not that difficult to use and nail a nice shot.

I bought the Samyang 85mm f1.4 in PK mount way back and this lens effectively started my odyssey into manual focus lenses. It is a wild interesting voyage that I continue to enjoy. My latest is a CZJ Flektogon 20mm f4.0, and a Meyer-Optik Telemegor 180mm f5.5. The latter being a fairly slow telephoto that compensates by being fairly small and light for a M42 mount lens

I think it simple - some folks must have the latest auto-focus and parts from the oem supplier. This is good and photography is a whole lot less work for any given capture.

However manual focus lenses are not only cheaper but are portable over a wide range of camera brand bodies with suitable adapters. They are more work to use but can perform very well for those that don't mind thinking harder and can accept that manual focus is a learning experience and you do miss a few shots.

I already use my stock of manual lenses on Ricoh and Samsung bodies interchangeably as required.

I also should comment that it is going to be a rare bird who has the Samsung and Samyang lenses on his lens shelf to compare them. The Samyang has been about for a good while and those that have bought them are probably quite happy with them. Those who have bought the more recent Samsung lens have obviously bought it for its own sterling qualities alone.

Manual focus puts more fun back into the act of photography, automatic surely is a whole lot easier to get consistently good captures. Look at it that way, I am sure that they are both cracking good lenses.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Wellington100
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,035Gear list
Like?
In reply to paulhome, Mar 21, 2012

paulhome wrote:

For this lens i wouldt see MF being a huge drawback , in fact personally i think i'd prefer MF to AF on a 85/1.4.

i would have to disagree, it must be incredibly difficult to manually nail the focus on the eye in a shallow dof f1.4 portrait, which is the classic usage for a large aperture 85mm lens

-- hide signature --

S100, S6500, S5, F300, F200, F70, F11, F31 (deceased), Z5, V10, D40, EX1

Thomas Wieser
Contributing MemberPosts: 701Gear list
Like?
In reply to verybiglebowski, Mar 21, 2012

I have seen more impressive photos with the lens wide open from the Samsung lens than from the Samyang one. I am not sure whether the Samsung one is a better performer or it is the AF that gives it an advantage when used for portraits wide open. Therefore I think, if possible you should have a look whether it is possible to try one in a shop to see if you like MF with this lens.

Thomas

Thomas Wieser's gear list:Thomas Wieser's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Samsung NX10 Samsung NX11 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +3 more
Ariston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401
Like?
In reply to Wellington100, Mar 21, 2012

Wellington100 wrote:

paulhome wrote:

i would have to disagree, it must be incredibly difficult to manually nail the focus on the eye in a shallow dof f1.4 portrait, which is the classic usage for a large aperture 85mm lens

-- hide signature --

S100, S6500, S5, F300, F200, F70, F11, F31 (deceased), Z5, V10, D40, EX1

the advantage on the Samsung is that you could use it both MF/AF whichever suits you best. my experience with using both lenses is that the Samyang has a much shallower dof and occasionally slightly better bokeh. the Samsung has a much contrasty, more detailed images. both are sharp though. the problem I had with the Samyang is that it's weight is more pronounced and is more of a challenge compared to the Samsung. the focus throw and minimum focusing distance makes the Samyang less desirable for snap shots.

one major advantage of the Samsung is the ability to use DMF on the focus point (magnified view when using manual focus).

in summary, your success rate is much higher with the Samsung compared to the Samyang.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads