Started Dec 13, 2011 | Discussions
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,978Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX-5N vs. NEX-7
In reply to xxbluejay21, Dec 14, 2011

xxbluejay21 wrote:

@Matadurr

Like the guy above me and the guys in the other post u made said, that unfortunately won't work. the best thing is to convince Sony to add better AF in their next line of NEX cameras. Like on the PEN E series, AF on the 1/2 sucked and then people complained so Olympus focused the 3 on focus, making it the fastest contrast AF system ever. Idk how phase AF works, but Nikon added it to their 1 cameras so maybe Sony can do it too? But I'd be totally fine with a faster CDAF.

Also, I don't understand people that complain about the resolution. There's hardly any more noise than the 5N, especially if you downsample. And some people need that extra resolution for prints. It allows for flexibility.

This is a response to the other guy as well, and yeah, I kind of see your point. You never though, Sony managed to fit so much stuff into the 7, they might be able to figure out some other form of a phase AF adapter!

I agree whole-heartily about the noise "problem" with the 7. Even looking at 100% pictures, the difference is just so small. Even smaller when you either downsample the 7, or upsample the 5n.

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
h00ligan
Senior MemberPosts: 3,079
Like?
So much iso misconception
In reply to Silat Shooter, Dec 15, 2011

The nex 7 is not a stop worse than the 5n, maybe half a stop, more like 1/3 of a stop.

That's, NOTHING.

It looks worse due to bigger files.

Print both and see what happens.

I don't get why people can say, oh I don't need the extra res because I don't print big, and then bang on about a very small difference in high ISO performance

I don't mean this at just you, I have just read over and over and over and over about how one simply cannot buy the nex7 due to lackluster iso...etc etc

Well, it's much better than many cameras people are using to print big.

You'd never know in a 1024 posting...

So what does it matter? Not much.

Sorry to vent, I think people are getting to caught up in measurebating..I am a recovering measurebator too.

Want to see how they do, print!

El Matadurr
Like?
Re: So much iso misconception
In reply to h00ligan, Dec 15, 2011

h00ligan wrote:

The nex 7 is not a stop worse than the 5n, maybe half a stop, more like 1/3 of a stop.

That's, NOTHING.

It looks worse due to bigger files.

Print both and see what happens.

I don't get why people can say, oh I don't need the extra res because I don't print big, and then bang on about a very small difference in high ISO performance

I don't mean this at just you, I have just read over and over and over and over about how one simply cannot buy the nex7 due to lackluster iso...etc etc

Well, it's much better than many cameras people are using to print big.

You'd never know in a 1024 posting...

So what does it matter? Not much.

Sorry to vent, I think people are getting to caught up in measurebating..I am a recovering measurebator too.

Want to see how they do, print!

Well said, and good analogy to the measurebators. I'm highly impressed with this camera, and can't wait to pick it up. The trade-off with 50% more "picture" to work with far outweighs the ISO "under-performance". On down the road I'm really interested in getting the phase AF adaptor for sports photography in case the contrast detect doesn't cut it (though for what I'm using it for I really think it will).

Another thing I noticed about the NEX-7, why is it that when shooting in 10 fps mode, the live EVF feed is actually continuous? It's odd because on the "better" a65 and a77 when you are in speed priority or "high", live view only displays the pictures as they are taken, not a live view of the current motion. Odd...

acc77
Regular MemberPosts: 231Gear list
Like?
In reply to nathanleebush, Dec 15, 2011

It's glaring problem the NEX series in general is the sluggish AF performance. It's poor in low light ie. reason for the Christmas shot complaint threads.

from the nex 3-5-7 it's all the same.

Unless Sony improves in firmware, or develops new AF engine I won't be plunking down 1200 dollars on it's premium product. Like it yes, but for value I'll stick to the nex 5n for this generation.

nathanleebush wrote:

I wrote a post exploring the key differences and which one was right for me here:

http://arcrental.wordpress.com/2011/11/23/nex-7-or-nex-5n/

Of course it's completely subjective, but which would you go with?

-- hide signature --

nathanleebush.com

El Matadurr
Like?
In reply to acc77, Dec 15, 2011

acc77 wrote:

It's glaring problem the NEX series in general is the sluggish AF performance. It's poor in low light ie. reason for the Christmas shot complaint threads.

from the nex 3-5-7 it's all the same.

Unless Sony improves in firmware, or develops new AF engine I won't be plunking down 1200 dollars on it's premium product. Like it yes, but for value I'll stick to the nex 5n for this generation.

nathanleebush wrote:

I wrote a post exploring the key differences and which one was right for me here:

http://arcrental.wordpress.com/2011/11/23/nex-7-or-nex-5n/

Of course it's completely subjective, but which would you go with?

-- hide signature --

nathanleebush.com

Or, you know, you could just utilize the focus peaking function in low-light. It's really easy (but time-consuming) to learn how to autofocus, regardless of camera. Really just a game of trial and error. What's nice is that you only have yourself to blame for an out-of-focus shot, rather than placing it on a "sluggish" AF.

When I think about it, I believe it is very possible for the AF to be improved via firmware somewhat , like running on better algorithms or something. We'll just have to wait and see though!

hiplnsdrftr
Contributing MemberPosts: 601Gear list
Like?
In reply to xxbluejay21, Jan 10, 2012

xxbluejay21 wrote:

New gadgets are cool, and I try to keep up, but come on, an iPhone 4s is 300 bucks.

An iPhone 4s costs from $750-850 to buy it outright.

-- hide signature --

Canon has actually made the large sensor-compact camera I have griped about... and it's butt ugly. Oh well... can't win 'em all. Hello Fuji.

hiplnsdrftr's gear list:hiplnsdrftr's gear list
Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot S95 Ricoh GR Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +1 more
Jazzclubber
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: Touch screens are for non photographers.
In reply to NeilJones, Jun 21, 2013

....waiting for the fallout from this one. Why?

Richard Ettinger
Senior MemberPosts: 1,056Gear list
Like?
NEX-7
In reply to nathanleebush, Jun 21, 2013

Viewfinder is a must have.

-- hide signature --

Canon 40D. Canon 50mm f1.4, canon 135mm 2.8/soft focus, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 24-105L. Sony Nex-7.

Richard Ettinger's gear list:Richard Ettinger's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.8 SF +5 more
Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,913
Like?
Just an Opinion
In reply to nathanleebush, Jun 21, 2013

I clicked on the OP's link twice, and twice got a message saying the link no longer existed, before I realized this thread is "OLD".

It would be nice if dpreview could put a time limit on how long a thread can be reopened.

Six months seems reasonable.

Naturally, if people want to go through the archives and read threads that are 1, 2, or even three years old there's nothing wrong with that but making additional comments and reopening the thread is ridiculous.

Like the subject line says, it's just my opinion.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads