NEX-5N vs. NEX-7

Started Dec 13, 2011 | Discussions
NeilJones
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,303Gear list
Like?
Touch screens are for non photographers.
In reply to xxbluejay21, Dec 13, 2011

Real photographers want real cameras. Not gimmicks!
--
Shoot like it's your last day..

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kage
Senior MemberPosts: 1,465
Like?
Re: Touch screens are for non photographers.
In reply to NeilJones, Dec 13, 2011

Isn't that what they used to say about video in DSLRs as well? Just sayin' (I don't have a particular opinion one way or another, but I remember there was a point where some of the Sony DSLRs were getting dinged in reviews vs cameras from Canon/Nikon for not having video and I thought to myself "Hrm...").

• k

NeilJones wrote:

--
Shoot like it's your last day..

headofdestiny
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,222Gear list
Like?

NeilJones wrote:

--

So you're telling me that, as someone who shoots with only manual lenses, I'm a non photographer because I can quickly press on the LCD to magnify focus, rather than pressing a button and then having to slowly scroll to my focus position in 5 or 10 clicks? Get real.

piticoto
Regular MemberPosts: 202
Like?

Define real photographer. I like to take Nex-5N with me every day, for any occasion, and there are plenty of moments to take a nice picture, but I would not bother with a DSLR size camera. Also I like the low light capability for indoor without flash, so the NEX-5N sits on the counter and I can take a quick picture to my son. I would not do that with a DSLR.

petermc45
Regular MemberPosts: 366
Like?
Re: NEX-5N vs. NEX-7
In reply to S.A., Dec 13, 2011

Concur entirely. Like many people here I would like a 7 but not with the current AF. I just can't understand a company like Sony with it's huge resources not providing decent AF when the likes of the much smallel Olympus do it so much better.

S.A. wrote:

I'm still not sure... I have a NEX 5N and for the most part am happy with it. Well I'm happy with the sensor anyway. Beautiful image quality. But the camera and controls aren't anything that great. In fact, I would say the camera itself stinks. Too often accidentally change ISO and various other settings. Accidentally start recording movies. Can't see a damn thing on the LCD on bright days. Menus, bracketing is pathetic, no "my settings", can't set auto ISO limits, etc. etc. It's basically a snapshot compact type body stuffed with great film. (love the size though and that's why I dumped my DSLR for it in the first place)

For what we have to pay for the NEX 7, we should get a real AF system. Not this compact camera style contrast detect garbage. Also, I don't care what the reviews say, that sensor is much noisier than the NeX 5N. The pictures don't jive with what the reviewers say. We've got eyes mister Luminous Landscape....

The NeX 7 camera body is so cool. I think these reviewers just want it to be the best thing ever. And it would be with the 5N sensor and a real autofocus system.

Flame away, but that's how I feel about it. All that said, I still might end up with a 7 cuz I can't stand the work arounds I have to do for off camera flash with the 5N. Both cams need a lot of work...
--
Scott A.

https://picasaweb.google.com/103749612162248448375/Whatever#slideshow/5621876919249496210

Geir Eivind Mork
Senior MemberPosts: 1,680Gear list
Like?

If I ever get a camera costing more than 4 times what I payed for my laptop (500), I want to make sure that it is everything I ever want in a camera, and something I can use for any application.

you compare a cheap "mass market made out of yesteryears components laptop" with a cutting edge digital camera?

-- hide signature --

Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing
.. Camille pissarro

Geir Eivind Mork's gear list:Geir Eivind Mork's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM
xxbluejay21
Regular MemberPosts: 337
Like?
In reply to Geir Eivind Mork, Dec 13, 2011

Geir Eivind Mork wrote:

you compare a cheap "mass market made out of yesteryears components laptop" with a cutting edge digital camera?

yes. It has nothing to do with your opinion on what's old and what's current. I use my laptop every single day. It's useful as hell. Best 500 bucks I ever spent. I would die if I didn't have it. I'm saying that if I was going to spend 2000+ dollars on something that has only one purpose, which is just to take pictures, it better be damn good. To most people, that's a ton of money.

sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,318Gear list
Like?

xxbluejay21 wrote:

Vladik wrote:

I don't get whats the fuss about the touch LCD. I can't even stand the smudges on the lcd because of the face touching it and touch screen on the a camera would make it disgusting!

Isn't there like, a smudge resistant lcd protector? But anyways, on the 5N it's useful for focus point selection, touch magnification, and touch to choose tracking target. All very useful.

Um, yeah -- that. I have a glass screen protector on my 5N and use the touch LCD nearly every time I use my camera. I've had my camera since Sept. and I have yet to clean the LCD one time and it looks shiny new to me. Touch magnification and targeted focusing, etc. are really amazing for me. I understand that some people can work without it, but once I got used to it I knew I wouldn't get a camera without it in the future.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Geir Eivind Mork
Senior MemberPosts: 1,680Gear list
Like?

yes. It has nothing to do with your opinion on what's old and what's current.

It's not my opinion, it is the reason they manage to create such cheap laptops. your laptop could probably be compared to the NEX-C3. An entry level model.

I would die if I didn't have it. I'm saying that if I was going to spend 2000+ dollars on something that has only one purpose, which is just to take pictures, it better be damn good. To most people, that's a ton of money.

Well, it's not pocket change. but looking how people buy expensive cellphones and other gadgets, it is apparently not that much anymore.

-- hide signature --

Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing
.. Camille pissarro

Geir Eivind Mork's gear list:Geir Eivind Mork's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM
xxbluejay21
Like?
In reply to Geir Eivind Mork, Dec 13, 2011

Geir Eivind Mork wrote:

Well, it's not pocket change. but looking how people buy expensive cellphones and other gadgets, it is apparently not that much anymore.

New gadgets are cool, and I try to keep up, but come on, an iPhone 4s is 300 bucks. Can't compare it to something that's almost 10 times the price. I'm not saying the NEX 7 is vastly overpriced and I'll never be able to get it (Actually I think all cameras are overpriced for what they do). All I'm saying is that if I pay 300 bucks for a phone and it has crappy battery life, whatever, I could live with it. But if I pay 3000 dollars for a NEX 7 with some lenses and the autofocus annoys me, I'd be pissd off. Just my opinion. Obviously it doesn't apply to people with a lot of money to spend.

cxsparc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,420
Like?

I paid a reasonable amount for the 5N, enjoy its positive aspects and can live with its shortcomings.

I would be just willing to part with the amount of money for the 7 if it were significantly improved compared to the 5N+EVF. Unfortunately, to me it isn

16 or 24 is bonkers to me. Hotshoe, connection for ext mic would be nice, but I found a way to get flash working as I wish. Ext Mic without volume control is not a big improvement. So it is just a lot more money for the 7. And as others said, I would require at least a better AF system in it, like in higher-end DLSR models which especially improve in number and quality of their sensors compared to the entry level models.

Both cameras are bound to be enjoyed, but I rather stick with the 5N+EVF, buy a 50 mm/1.8 and wait for the 6 or 7N

If Sony keeps improving its models at the current pace, it will more than intersting to see what level of perfectness they will then have achieved.

Richard Ettinger
Senior MemberPosts: 1,058Gear list
Like?
NEX-7
In reply to nathanleebush, Dec 13, 2011
-- hide signature --

Canon 40D. Canon 50mm f1.4, canon 135mm 2.8/soft focus, Canon 70-
200 f4L, Canon 24-105L.

Richard Ettinger's gear list:Richard Ettinger's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.8 SF +5 more
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,979Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aberoni, Dec 13, 2011

Aberoni wrote:

NEX-7.

Excellent image quality ISO100-1600 is enough for me.

-- hide signature --

Things may be named,but names are not the things.
  In the beginning heaven and earth are nameless**

Well said, and true for sooooo many applications.

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
El Matadurr
Like?
In reply to El Matadurr, Dec 13, 2011

This is a note to everybody: From past experience I have found that Sony listens to their customers very well, and tends to respond to them when enough customers suggest the same thing. There are two big things we as a customer can do to influence what Sony's next move is. I have already done the first one, and I suggest you all do too:

1. Call technical support and ask to be connected to higher tech, saying you have suggestions on this product on how to make it better, transfer time is about 5-10 minutes due to the limited availability of these guys. When you get connected, suggest how it would be great if there was an adapter to put on the E-mount that had a translucent mirror with the phase detection AF BUT was an E-mount on the receiving end as well. What this will do is keep the adapter with you (in a camera bag or something); then during the day or night when you need to take basic pictures with high resolution, but don't need the focus speed, you can just take pictures as normal. But say you take this camera to an outdoor sporting event, pop the adapter on, and ta-da! Same relative ISO performance, but with blazing fast AF speed, and without the need to carry around the bigger Alpha lenses. The upper tech thought about it and was adamant that this was a great idea, and that he would pass it on. If more people call in to this, they'll be sure to put something into development.

2. Call technical support and get connected to higher tech as before, but this time suggesting that the next NEX (NEX-7n?) have a lower resolution sensor for better noise performance.

Sony really does listen, and they have great customer service.

As far as the "noise problems" with the 7, take note that on these ISO tests these are at 100% crops of LOW LIGHT shots (as seen in Luminous Landscapes review and DCResource's review). The increase in noise is understandable! However, when you go to a studio shot and see how well the 7 does in well lit high ISO (important for sports photos, seen again in the DCResource review), it has fantastic detail along with good ISO performance.

Finally, listen, no one likes pixel peepers. There's no reason to balk over how well one camera does shots at 100% crop over another. What's important is to look at real world samples in finished photos (such as in Steve Huff's NEX-7 review).

Sorry this took so long, just wanted to get my thoughts out.

JBD 2U
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
In reply to El Matadurr, Dec 13, 2011

Thanks. Great advice...especially knocking one's suggestions further up the chain. Customer service requires customers to give their input, kind of like an electorate being interested enough to participate in their governance.......'nuff said. jbd
--
jBD2U

El Matadurr
Like?
In reply to JBD 2U, Dec 14, 2011

JBD 2U wrote:

Thanks. Great advice...especially knocking one's suggestions further up the chain. Customer service requires customers to give their input, kind of like an electorate being interested enough to participate in their governance.......'nuff said. jbd
--
jBD2U

Thanks man, I think I may just make a thread just about this really. The more people suggest (not "complain", mind you, they hate hearing that) improvements, the more Sony will realize how much their customers want their products to be the best they can possibly be.

cxsparc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,420
Like?
In reply to El Matadurr, Dec 14, 2011

@El:

Your adapter won't work. Please read up on flange distance. The emount lens is optically constructed to be a certain distance from the sensor, the amount is much further away. You can't put the mirror between lens and sensor for an emount lens.

Silat Shooter
Contributing MemberPosts: 761
Like?
In reply to cxsparc, Dec 14, 2011

cxsparc wrote:

I paid a reasonable amount for the 5N, enjoy its positive aspects and can live with its shortcomings.

I would be just willing to part with the amount of money for the 7 if it were significantly improved compared to the 5N+EVF. Unfortunately, to me it isn

16 or 24 is bonkers to me. Hotshoe, connection for ext mic would be nice, but I found a way to get flash working as I wish. Ext Mic without volume control is not a big improvement. So it is just a lot more money for the 7. And as others said, I would require at least a better AF system in it, like in higher-end DLSR models which especially improve in number and quality of their sensors compared to the entry level models.

Both cameras are bound to be enjoyed, but I rather stick with the 5N+EVF, buy a 50 mm/1.8 and wait for the 6 or 7N

If Sony keeps improving its models at the current pace, it will more than intersting to see what level of perfectness they will then have achieved.

I'm in the same boat. I initially wanted the 7 soo badly but had a few situations where I wanted to have a small camera with me. So broke down and purchased the 5N after owning the 5. Big improvement over the 5! Glad I did because I've been able to make some images that I'm very happy with and printed large.

Yes, I'd enjoy having the benefits of the 7 over the 5N but really pleased with the results from the 5N and it appears to have one more stop of usable high ISO. That's a big deal for me as I don't like to shoot with flash. I'm often at 1600 and 3200 ISO and judging from the review. The 5N is a bit better in that category.

So I'm just going to continue to expand my lenses for the NEX and I'm sure the next NEX cameras will be better than the current crop and I will update then. But for now, it will be the 5N + EVF happily. If the 7 had been available at the time I purchased the 5N, no question I would have gone that way.

feijai
Regular MemberPosts: 210
Like?
In reply to headofdestiny, Dec 14, 2011

headofdestiny wrote:

Vladik wrote:

I don't get whats the fuss about the touch LCD. I can't even stand the smudges on the lcd because of the face touching it and touch screen on the a camera would make it disgusting!

You can tap to zoom focus when manual focusing, as well as tap any part of the screen during image review to check focus. Much faster than the control wheel.

Also if you've got autofocusing set to "Center", as Thor intended it, then you can touch the screen to change the focus point prior to autofocusing.

xxbluejay21
Like?
In reply to El Matadurr, Dec 14, 2011

@Matadurr

Like the guy above me and the guys in the other post u made said, that unfortunately won't work. the best thing is to convince Sony to add better AF in their next line of NEX cameras. Like on the PEN E series, AF on the 1/2 sucked and then people complained so Olympus focused the 3 on focus, making it the fastest contrast AF system ever. Idk how phase AF works, but Nikon added it to their 1 cameras so maybe Sony can do it too? But I'd be totally fine with a faster CDAF.

Also, I don't understand people that complain about the resolution. There's hardly any more noise than the 5N, especially if you downsample. And some people need that extra resolution for prints. It allows for flexibility.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads