NEX-5N vs. NEX-7

Started Dec 13, 2011 | Discussions
nathanleebush
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
NEX-5N vs. NEX-7
Dec 13, 2011

I wrote a post exploring the key differences and which one was right for me here:

http://arcrental.wordpress.com/2011/11/23/nex-7-or-nex-5n/

Of course it's completely subjective, but which would you go with?

-- hide signature --

nathanleebush.com

nathanleebush's gear list:nathanleebush's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha 7S
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Lng0004
Senior MemberPosts: 2,602
Like?
Re: NEX-5N vs. NEX-7
In reply to nathanleebush, Dec 13, 2011

NEX-7. It's the future!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jasby
Regular MemberPosts: 168Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lng0004, Dec 13, 2011

Lng0004 wrote:

NEX-7. It's the future!

X10 !!!!!!!

jasby's gear list:jasby's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
xxbluejay21
Regular MemberPosts: 337
Like?

If I ever get a camera costing more than 4 times what I payed for my laptop (500), I want to make sure that it is everything I ever want in a camera, and something I can use for any application. I love the 7, but I wish it had a touch screen like the E-P3 (because the touch shutter is so cool) and a better autofocus. If the NEX had AF speeds like the V1/E-P3 had, that would be a near perfect camera. idk if sensor size affects AF speed, because the lenses are pretty much the same size. But even the APS-C sensor'd Samsung NX200's AF is faster than the NEX's. I'll wait.

S.A.
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,072
Like?

I'm still not sure... I have a NEX 5N and for the most part am happy with it. Well I'm happy with the sensor anyway. Beautiful image quality. But the camera and controls aren't anything that great. In fact, I would say the camera itself stinks. Too often accidentally change ISO and various other settings. Accidentally start recording movies. Can't see a damn thing on the LCD on bright days. Menus, bracketing is pathetic, no "my settings", can't set auto ISO limits, etc. etc. It's basically a snapshot compact type body stuffed with great film. (love the size though and that's why I dumped my DSLR for it in the first place)

For what we have to pay for the NEX 7, we should get a real AF system. Not this compact camera style contrast detect garbage. Also, I don't care what the reviews say, that sensor is much noisier than the NeX 5N. The pictures don't jive with what the reviewers say. We've got eyes mister Luminous Landscape....

The NeX 7 camera body is so cool. I think these reviewers just want it to be the best thing ever. And it would be with the 5N sensor and a real autofocus system.

Flame away, but that's how I feel about it. All that said, I still might end up with a 7 cuz I can't stand the work arounds I have to do for off camera flash with the 5N. Both cams need a lot of work...
--
Scott A.

https://picasaweb.google.com/103749612162248448375/Whatever#slideshow/5621876919249496210

headofdestiny
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,222Gear list
Like?

nathanleebush wrote:

I wrote a post exploring the key differences and which one was right for me here:

-- hide signature --

nathanleebush.com

I just cancelled the preorder I made on Aug. 25th. I'd like the extra resolution, and maybe the extra dials, although the extra dials have limited use to me as a raw shooter with manual lenses.

I cancelled my 7 for these reasons:

• touchscreen

• EVF that tilts and has on/off button, and is better for left eyed shooters

• Auto ISO to 3200

relate22
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,585
Like?
In reply to headofdestiny, Dec 13, 2011
cdembrey
Regular MemberPosts: 145
Like?

The NEX 5n is a GREAT video camera when used with the EVF. Good enough that I'll probably get a second one.

For me, a still camera has to have a hot shoe.

headofdestiny
Like?
In reply to relate22, Dec 13, 2011

relate22 wrote:

I read the 7 has a touch screen.
--

Nope, and it's really handy when manual focusing with the LCD.

Vladik
Contributing MemberPosts: 649
Like?
In reply to headofdestiny, Dec 13, 2011

I don't get whats the fuss about the touch LCD. I can't even stand the smudges on the lcd because of the face touching it and touch screen on the a camera would make it disgusting!

Aberoni
Regular MemberPosts: 189Gear list
Like?

NEX-7.

Excellent image quality ISO100-1600 is enough for me.

-- hide signature --

Things may be named,but names are not the things.
  In the beginning heaven and earth are nameless**

xxbluejay21
Regular MemberPosts: 337
Like?
In reply to Vladik, Dec 13, 2011

Vladik wrote:

I don't get whats the fuss about the touch LCD. I can't even stand the smudges on the lcd because of the face touching it and touch screen on the a camera would make it disgusting!

Isn't there like, a smudge resistant lcd protector? But anyways, on the 5N it's useful for focus point selection, touch magnification, and touch to choose tracking target. All very useful. On other cameras like the Panasonic G series and E-P3 you can touch to automatically focus and take a picture, which is super cool on those cameras because AF is almost instantaneous.

ageha
Contributing MemberPosts: 651Gear list
Like?
In reply to xxbluejay21, Dec 13, 2011

xxbluejay21 wrote:

Vladik wrote:

Isn't there like, a smudge resistant lcd protector? But anyways, on the 5N it's useful for focus point selection, touch magnification, and touch to choose tracking target. All very useful. On other cameras like the Panasonic G series and E-P3 you can touch to automatically focus and take a picture, which is super cool on those cameras because AF is almost instantaneous.

Totally agree and people with greasy fingers can just turn off the touch screen.

ageha's gear list:ageha's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 +17 more
ennemkay
Senior MemberPosts: 1,285Gear list
Like?

what kind of phone do you have?

Vladik wrote:

ennemkay's gear list:ennemkay's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Canon PowerShot S95 +1 more
ennemkay
Senior MemberPosts: 1,285Gear list
Like?
In reply to S.A., Dec 13, 2011

S.A. wrote:

I'm still not sure... I have a NEX 5N and for the most part am happy with it. Well I'm happy with the sensor anyway. Beautiful image quality. But the camera and controls aren't anything that great. In fact, I would say the camera itself stinks. Too often accidentally change ISO and various other settings. Accidentally start recording movies. Can't see a damn thing on the LCD on bright days. Menus, bracketing is pathetic, no "my settings", can't set auto ISO limits, etc. etc. It's basically a snapshot compact type body stuffed with great film. (love the size though and that's why I dumped my DSLR for it in the first place)

yeah just got a nex-3 and its interface and controls are disappointing. but i like the form factor, sensor, sweep panorama, and tilt screen.

ennemkay's gear list:ennemkay's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Canon PowerShot S95 +1 more
headofdestiny
Like?

Vladik wrote:

You can tap to zoom focus when manual focusing, as well as tap any part of the screen during image review to check focus. Much faster than the control wheel.

S.A.
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,072
Like?

Vladik wrote:

I don't get whats the fuss about the touch LCD. >

Agreed. Turned mine off. But that's the cool thing. It's there for people who like it. And the people who don't like it, can turn it off. Not sure why they didn't include it in the 7.
--
Scott A.

https://picasaweb.google.com/103749612162248448375/Whatever#slideshow/5621876919249496210

deafbuzz
Regular MemberPosts: 486
Like?
NEX-7 meet my needs...

thank for your time to write the key difference...

i already am spoiled to use the features on my dslr 900. this nex-7 has offered the right tool to meet my need more that nex-5 doesn't have in big gap. i don't care about touch on lcd because it reminds me of my iphone 4 to shoot with touch lcd.

one question: is nex-7 friendly enough for my eyeglasses on evf as a900's ovf is? or do i have to take off my eyeglasses in order to see the full view of picture frame inside?

thanks,
cuong

nathanleebush wrote:

-- hide signature --

nathanleebush.com

-- hide signature --

cuong aka buzz
--
http://www.insightfolio.com/
--
carl zeiss lenses do matter to me.

TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,458
Like?
In reply to S.A., Dec 13, 2011

S.A. wrote:

Also, I don't care what the reviews say, that sensor is much noisier than the NeX 5N. The pictures don't jive with what the reviewers say. We've got eyes mister Luminous Landscape....

Did those eyes compensate for both the visual and physical exposure differences too? Apparently not.

Peter Mueller
Contributing MemberPosts: 561Gear list
Like?
In reply to relate22, Dec 13, 2011

relate22 wrote:

I read the 7 has a touch screen.
--

Sue the guy who taught you to read.

Peter Mueller's gear list:Peter Mueller's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +26 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads