Macro Extension Tubes for K-5

Started Dec 12, 2011 | Discussions
eyalbc
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
Macro Extension Tubes for K-5
Dec 12, 2011

Looking around I could not find a solution for AF macro tubes. I have an old set of the APK Kenko Auto Extension Tube (12/20/36mm) set that is as old as the ME Super it was used with. I am looking for a set for the lazy..... something that will provide the K-5 the abilty to use the AF and the F of the lenses used (Pentax 18-55, Sig 17-70, Pentax 50-300 and others)

The Kenko that suppose to have the functionality is very hard to find for the Pentax K adaptor, does anybody else make them?

Anybody knows about any other solutions to get the same affect?

Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,905
Like?
Re: Macro Extension Tubes for K-5
In reply to eyalbc, Dec 12, 2011

eyalbc wrote:

Looking around I could not find a solution for AF macro tubes. I have an old set of the APK Kenko Auto Extension Tube (12/20/36mm) set that is as old as the ME Super it was used with. I am looking for a set for the lazy..... something that will provide the K-5 the abilty to use the AF and the F of the lenses used (Pentax 18-55, Sig 17-70, Pentax 50-300 and others)

The Kenko that suppose to have the functionality is very hard to find for the Pentax K adaptor, does anybody else make them?

Anybody knows about any other solutions to get the same affect?

If you are skillful enough you can remove the glass elements from an autofocusing teleconverter to make one. However, in order for such a thng to also work with SDM or HSM lenses it will have to have the PZ contacts. Then it will work just the same as the Kenko Unitube 25mm autofocusing extension tube.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
eyalbc
Like?
In reply to brandrx, Dec 12, 2011

Thank you.
This is somewhat risky and expensive solution.

Alfpics
Regular MemberPosts: 207
Like?

I don't think there are any, or were either. You may be lucky and manage to get hold of some with the contacts to allow the lens aperture etc to be controlled from the camera, but I am not aware that any ever allowed use of AF. Ron's is the only solution!

Andy

james45
Regular MemberPosts: 156
Like?
In reply to Alfpics, Dec 12, 2011

Vastly aggravating, isn't it...

I've spent today wrestling with a set of extension tubes on my K20D.
Predictably, lenses behave... unpredictably.

I'm not too bothered about Autofocus, but my set of PKA tubes (which appears to have a near-complete set of contacts) still manages to block the lens/body communications and aperture control completely.

That means all my lenses that don't have aperture rings are stuck wide open or (if I'm lucky!) at F22+. And the screen's constantly on "F--" - All-in-all, it makes it profoundly irritating to do anything much, close up.

And yet, Pentax made - arguably - the best EVER Macro lens (the 200mm)... They're still making a 100mm macro lens and a 50mm macro lens - and the PPG is just bursting with pictures of dragonfly. There's clearly a large number (perhaps even a disproportionate number) of Pentax snappers who like 1:1 and beyond.

So - why on earth can't Pentax stir themselves to issue a set of extension tubes? Ones that actually work properly with their last (oh, um) 5 generations of cameras?

Hey - go crazy, and maybe even manufacture some bellows. Heavens above: why not go the whole hog and actually release some teleconverters while they're at it?

I fear I ask too much.

(They're obviously too busy working on a FF... )

Gerry Winterbourne
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,866
Like?

You won't like the price and they're from the UK but I found this on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pentax-Auto-Extension-Tube-Set/dp/B00009XVN9/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323727766&sr=1-8

I bought a set from a Polish supplier a couple of years ago and used to recommend them, but they disappeared from the market last year.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

First camera 1953, first Pentax 1983, first DSLR 2006
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne

eyalbc
Like?
In reply to james45, Dec 12, 2011

Are their any good solutions to the Niks and the Cans?

If thier are, we only need atwo converters... on both sides... or am I dreaming...

eyalbc
Like?

It is expensive solution, and from the picture or the text it is non-name manufecture -- who knows if it actually work.

eyalbc
Like?
In reply to Gerry Winterbourne, Dec 12, 2011

who was the Polish manufecturer that you bought it from?

Gerry Winterbourne
Like?

eyalbc wrote:

who was the Polish manufecturer that you bought it from?

The name I remember is Kubicek but I'm not sure if that's the maker or seller. I tried following the EBay link from when I bought it but it now goes nowhere. The PayPal reecipt gives the account reference as FOTOAGFAABC, which goes to a Poilish website that has "Laboratorium fotograficzne" in its name but I can't see any product listings.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

eyalbc
Like?
In reply to Gerry Winterbourne, Dec 12, 2011

Google brings the following outfit near Lodz

FOTO-AGFA ABC. LABORATORIUM FOTOGRAFICZNE

ZGIERSKA 69
91-463 ŁÓDŹ, ŁÓDZKIE

GEO : 51.791970 , 19.449511
Telefon : 42 617 17 88

and from there the way is pretty short.... the product can be found at:
http://www.sklep.fotoabc.com/index.php?akcja=pokazprodukt&ID=669

I am not sure if it is available (there is a red X that the translator did not pick) but at 540 Plish Zloti it comes to about $160....

If it works, it worth it.

brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,905
Like?

Those tubes that Gerry linked to are simple K mount tubes. No contact pins on them. You can find the same thing cheaper at

The best teleconverter I have found that you can remove the elements simply by unscrewing them is the Takumar-A 2X. It has the contact pins but no autofocusing. I found and bought one of these at a pawnshop for US $10.

Another one I found, and bought, for US $19 that simply you unscrew the elements is a Foclal MC 2X that has the contact pins but no autofocusing.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

eyalbc
Like?
In reply to brandrx, Dec 13, 2011

From the polish web site... it seems it will do the job...

Extension Tube Set is a set of 3 metal rings - 13 mm, 21 mm and 31 mm.
Fitted with connectors carrying information about the parameters of exposure.

They will work all automatic modes the camera and there is no need for manual labor in the settings. In the case of the newer lenses equipped with an AF motor, it will also work, while older lenses in which the AF drive is transmitted by means of a mechanical clutch will work in manual focusing mode. Included are three rings and two caps - on the back and front. The rings allow the offset from the focal plane of the lens, so you can get a larger scale mapping - suitable for macro photography. Three rings of different lengths can be combined in any configuration. The advantage of rings is that the large distance from the subject allows you to easily frame and illuminate the object. The rings have no optical elements, so it does not degrade image quality. The rings are compatible with all digital and analog Pentax K cameras with interchangeable lenses.

UtahManSir
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,582
Like?
In reply to eyalbc, Dec 13, 2011

eyalbc wrote:

They will work all automatic modes the camera and there is no need for manual labor in the settings. In the case of the newer lenses equipped with an AF motor, it will also work, while older lenses in which the AF drive is transmitted by means of a mechanical clutch will work in manual focusing mode. Included are three rings and two caps - on the back and front. The rings allow the offset from the focal plane of the lens, so you can get a larger scale mapping - suitable for macro photography. Three rings of different lengths can be combined in any configuration. The advantage of rings is that the large distance from the subject allows you to easily frame and illuminate the object. The rings have no optical elements, so it does not degrade image quality. The rings are compatible with all digital and analog Pentax K cameras with interchangeable lenses.

Interesting find, personally AF with extension tubes is overrated. With the DA55-300 you end up using the zoom mechanism rather than the focus ring with a full complement of tubes on.

I have a set of the Kenko ones with all the A contact pins. I just got them back from a friend and will be trying them with the DFA 100mm WR Macro soon. They have worked fine with everything I have put in front of them.

Personally I really think that I will be selling mine in the not too distant future. The DFA 100 being enough magnification for me.

Lloyd
--

“For every problem there is a solution which is simple, clean and wrong.” Henry Louis Mencken

http://lloydshell.blogspot.com/
http://lloydshell.zenfolio.com/
WSSA #354

eljamoquio
Regular MemberPosts: 189Gear list
Like?

In my experience it's a painless and quick solution. YMMV.

eyalbc wrote:

Thank you.
This is somewhat risky and expensive solution.

-- hide signature --

Why yes, I AM colorblind.

eljamoquio's gear list:eljamoquio's gear list
Nikon D600
Gerry Winterbourne
Like?
In reply to UtahManSir, Dec 13, 2011

UtahManSir wrote:

Interesting find, personally AF with extension tubes is overrated.

Using extension tubes for super-macro I agree, Lloyd. In fact, once you get bigger that 1:1 I don't think F can be any use at all.

However, I also use my tubes to reduce the closest focus distance on my non-macro lenses whan walking round the garden, and in that mode the AF is the same as for any normal lens.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Col K10d
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,199Gear list
Like?

eyalbc wrote:

They will work all automatic modes the camera and there is no need for manual labor in the settings. In the case of the newer lenses equipped with an AF motor, it will also work, while older lenses in which the AF drive is transmitted by means of a mechanical clutch will work in manual focusing mode.

Bold is my addition.

These were the only "Auto" extension tubes I could find anywhere near the UK and I bought them last year. They fully support aperture control and the transmission of lens data. They do not permit auto focus.

However, as I recently posted to another thread you can make them more useful than that! Shorting the data pins on each (I used a conductive pen) using the extension tubes (in any permutation) tricks the camera into thinking you've attached an A type lens. Thus metering is unaffected but you now have focus trapping / catch in focus available for any lens. Plus on connecting you can dial in a focal length of your choice for SR (I found it most effective to increase the true focal length by the increase in magnification, so the DA*300 with a 25mm tube goes from x0.24 to x0.32 and I can dial in 400mm)

ps I found the 31mm had a little too much play when connected with another of the tubes, still the 300 & 21mm proved a good combination in the field:

(focus trapping)

(Manual focus)
--

Col K10d's gear list:Col K10d's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +9 more
Dale108
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,467
Like?
Re: Kenko Macro Extension Tubes Allow Metering
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads