GX100 - a bit late to the party

Started Dec 11, 2011 | Discussions
NIK11
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782
Like?
GX100 - a bit late to the party
Dec 11, 2011

Hi,

On impulse I just acquired a mint GX100+EVF at a bargain price. Having been frustrated for several years with LCD only compacts I wanted to try out EVF feasibility before perhaps committing to a more expensive set-up with EVF.

My first impressions are all very positive and much better than I expected having read DPRE's review. This will be strictly daylight use and with normal viewing/print sizes.

To avoid lengthy testing can you seasoned GX100 owners please tell me what you think are the best settings for good results in daylight use - soft/RAW/jpeg/F2.4/4? Does RAW squeeze any worthwhile extra DR, or not?

I have to say I like handling the GX100+EVF much more than my S95 and the results in good light are comparable.

Nick

Canon PowerShot S95 Ricoh Caplio GX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,530Gear list
Like?
Re: GX100 - a bit late to the party
In reply to NIK11, Dec 12, 2011

RAW writes very slowly, jpegs are very good, RAW will yield a bit more. Great camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aub08
Regular MemberPosts: 456
Like?
Hi Joel (OT)
In reply to Joel Stern, Dec 12, 2011

Hi Joel, best wishes for the holiday season! I have a 3 week old baby girl now so things are hectic. Shooting mostly B&W with my P7000 at present. I check in here when I can

best regards........Paul

Joel Stern
Like?
Re: Hi Joel (OT)
In reply to Aub08, Dec 12, 2011

Aub08 wrote:

Hi Joel, best wishes for the holiday season! I have a 3 week old baby girl now so things are hectic. Shooting mostly B&W with my P7000 at present. I check in here when I can

best regards........Paul

Paul, left you a message

schaki
Senior MemberPosts: 2,122Gear list
Like?

Joel Stern wrote:

RAW writes very slowly, jpegs are very good, RAW will yield a bit more. Great camera.

However raw are slow or not with these older Ricohs can depend quite a lot on what which SD-card is in use.

http://ricohforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4&sid=19abe2fcc0d5ea3c9094540fbf34a64a

Sandisk and Panasonic should be a good choice. For most of the time 3.5 or 4 secs should not be too slow for general purpose

schaki's gear list:schaki's gear list
Contax TVS Digital
NIK11
Like?

Joel Stern wrote:

Thanks Joel.

I will have to work out if the small improvement in RAW is worth the wait. Yes, it seems a great camera providing you can live within its limitations - and I think I can.

Going back to eye level framing that I can see clearly is already a more satisfying experience, even with a low res EVF. Just a bit fiddly de-pocketing with EVF attached.

Nick

NIK11
Like?
In reply to schaki, Dec 12, 2011

schaki wrote:

Joel Stern wrote:

However raw are slow or not with these older Ricohs can depend quite a lot on what which SD-card is in use.

http://ricohforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4&sid=19abe2fcc0d5ea3c9094540fbf34a64a

Sandisk and Panasonic should be a good choice. For most of the time 3.5 or 4 secs should not be too slow for general purpose

Thanks, I'll check out the latest/fastest card.

Do you think RAW offers substantially more DR potential with this particular camera?

Nick

Joel Stern
Like?

NIK11 wrote:

Joel Stern wrote:

Thanks Joel.

I will have to work out if the small improvement in RAW is worth the wait. Yes, it seems a great camera providing you can live within its limitations - and I think I can.

Going back to eye level framing that I can see clearly is already a more satisfying experience, even with a low res EVF. Just a bit fiddly de-pocketing with EVF attached.

Nick

you can find a nice belt case on ebay that will hold the camera and EVF.

schaki
Like?

NIK11 wrote:

schaki wrote:

Joel Stern wrote:

Thanks, I'll check out the latest/fastest card.

Do you think RAW offers substantially more DR potential with this particular camera?

I can't answer that question as I've not used a GX100 but rather been thinking about buying a used one by late, like you. The only other Ricoh I've which can record raw are the GRDI but it is a little too slow. Like 8 or 9 secs as fastest for that one.

Contax TVS Digital
jimrockfordIII
Regular MemberPosts: 318
Like?
In reply to schaki, Dec 19, 2011

Its a good camera, i got my second one at a great price a year or two ago for kite aerial photography, it is useful to have around though.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/leica-torquay/

RunStrom
Regular MemberPosts: 124Gear list
Like?
In reply to schaki, Dec 21, 2011

The Gx-100 is a very under rated camera. If you use a 4G card with a speed of 6-10 the write time for a Raw file will be in the region of 4.5 to 5 seconds. The file sizes are big for a 10Mb size. The DNG raw files are excellent but not much better than the jpegs (which are better than the std Gx-200 jpegs.) You will really appreciate the 24mm lens. The flash is very strong, so its best used as fill in for daytime shots.

The colour options are limited - but saying that the realistic colour is very good. The Fn button is best set to exposure, and your my1 my2 settings to colour, and B/W. The black and white mode is excellent producing a unique dot pattern to the file (in jpeg mode). The 1:1 format is fun to work with.

The flaws of this camera are no shutter priority setting, bright flash and slow Raw write time. The image stabilisation is best left off as it can ruin a good shot.

The 19mm wide angle lens and hood that attach to this camera produce excellent results. The camera can still surprise me every now and again with something new. I still find it hard to find a worthwhile replacement P&S.

RunStrom's gear list:RunStrom's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Nikon D3100 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +6 more
NIK11
Like?
In reply to RunStrom, Dec 21, 2011

RunStrom wrote:

The Gx-100 is a very under rated camera.

The 19mm wide angle lens and hood that attach to this camera produce excellent results. The camera can still surprise me every now and again with som ething new. I still find it hard to find a worthwhile replacement P&S.

Thanks for the info, that's interesting. So far I am very pleased with GX100. It is the best handling digital compact I have ever owned and the output in good light is close enough to my S95.

I can't make up my mind between RAW/jpeg because when it comes to squeezing DR I have found RAW offers a bit more in PP. What's your experience concerning DR?

Nick

schaki
Like?
In reply to NIK11, May 15, 2012

Now I've used the GX100. Not a lot really and that's because I've been far from thrilled by the results with noise pattern and sharpening artifacts, even with the lowest sharpening. I easily get better result with the GRDI by just bump up saturation one notch and leave the other settings at their default value.

Sure, the GRDI probably can't match the GX100 for color but that's not everything.
The GX100 have been much hailed as a jpeg camera but I can't agree about that.

To me it is camera which needs to be used in raw to really shine or get something really decent from it, because of all the artifacts.

The raw-writing which is 4 secs or only marginally faster is not a problem but as earlier, I don't like spending time with Raws even though it turns out reasonably well.

One taken in a second hand store weeks ago. It seems to be a good copy of that zoom. At least sharp in the corners even at f2.5 as it should be.

Processed it slightly with the built in raw-converter in ACDSee Pro 3. I like the grainy noise so I didn't bother to touch that.

Also, I found the AF to be very noisy and the sound it makes reminds about a croaking magpie.

At least the cat in following picture noticed it and looked at me/the camera at least twice when I tried to get a sharp picture of it in not so good light and the IS turned off.

One of the early pictures witht the GX100 and I don't remember if I already had set the sharpening to -2 or not.

So the bottom-line is that the GX100 still is a good camera but I would have to use it in raw to be really satisfied.

Contax TVS Digital
NIK11
Like?
In reply to schaki, May 15, 2012

Pure chance that I spotted this reply after so long.

Yes I agree, contrary to the popular view, the RAW is visibly better than jpeg, for me anyway.

I have recently sold on the GX100, not because it was a bad camera, but mainly because its 4 year old sensor cannot compete with later sensors on the DR front.

My S95 betters the GX by almost a stop of DR, before PP and without the added I-contrast. DR matters to me more than resolution.

On the positive side the GX handling with attached EVF in sunlight makes the Canon (and most other compacts) toylike. If I were convinced the GX200 added another half stop or more of DR over the GX100, I would give it a try. But most opinion suggests this is not the case.

Enjoy your GX100.

Nick

schaki
Like?
In reply to NIK11, May 15, 2012

NIK11 wrote:

Pure chance that I spotted this reply after so long.

Yes I agree, contrary to the popular view, the RAW is visibly better than jpeg, for me anyway.

Yes I realized that too after actually having used it. Without having tested the GX100 I previously believed in what people said about the good jpeg ouput with sharpening at the bottom. Unfortunately that wasn't quite true.

I have recently sold on the GX100, not because it was a bad camera, but mainly because its 4 year old sensor cannot compete with later sensors on the DR front.

I'm also going to sell my GX100 within the next three months. My GRDI do just about the same job but better except for the zoom and perhaps some other minor things., But then, the GRDI probably have other edges over the GX100.

Almost always found that dumbed down Adj-rocker, or whatever it is called, less preferable compared to the nice Adj-wheel which feels just about right.

My S95 betters the GX by almost a stop of DR, before PP and without the added I-contrast. DR matters to me more than resolution.

Oh. I don't know exactly what the original 10mp ccd in the GX100 was capable of. Especially since my GX100 have the newer revision of that zoom which is used for GX100 and GXR S10 which have better dust-sealing and also in the S10, the newer low noise 10mp ccd which a big bunch of other compacts have, like the GRDIII, S90, S95, Samsung EX1 etc.

On the positive side the GX handling with attached EVF in sunlight makes the Canon (and most other compacts) toylike.

Yes. Ricoh probably have the best UI among compacts.

If I were convinced the GX200 added another half stop or more of DR over the GX100, I would give it a try. But most opinion suggests this is not the case.

Crap. Welll, especially initially I often found the multi/matrix-metering in the GRDI and other Ricohs to be rather eccentric and more or less like spot or center metering. That was compared to the Nikon-coolpixes which I've used earlier which often is spot on with exposure.

However, things improved when I began to use center-metering with the GRDI which require slightly less corrections from the user.

Especially the GRDI likes to blow highlights in tricky or mixed lighting conditions and I sometimes have to use spot-metering and then the macro-focus to get a correct exposure. That is a rather slow process but works for usual pictures. Unfortunately I don't know of a better way around that irritating problem and have to do so because it is not always which -2 EV comp helps.

Contax TVS Digital
OS74
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
In reply to schaki, May 22, 2012

I amv still using my GX100 but as a undewater camera re-branded as Sea&Sea DX-1G.

All photos has to be RAW and ISO100 to be useable. and the conditions are always-low light at the limit of what maximum camera shake.

I don't like the long RAW write time, and high noise on higher ISO.

These are neither particularly good pictures, nor high resolution but you get an Idea about the conditions. The background exposures are about 1/20 at f2.5 with 0,65 WA converter and ISO100 but also slightly lifted in PP.

http://marinarkeologi.info/albums/Applet/index.html

As long as the foreground subject is frozen by the strobe, the camera shake is bearable.

I will change camera soon though, but the system cost (housing, wet-lenses etc) makes me keep cameras longer for UW-use before.

What is the GX100 DR and SNR at base and higher ISO? It would be useful to know to be able to quantify what improvements a new camera would make.

Interesting to hear that GX200 only yields half a stop DR (at base ISO i presume). This was a possible alternative (as buying used) for me, as S&S also made a similar housing set for this camera.

Cheers
O

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads