elements 10 vs gimp

Started Dec 10, 2011 | Discussions
djon1
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
elements 10 vs gimp
Dec 10, 2011

Hi, my first newbie question. I've just bought Photoshop Elements 10 in the expectation that it would outperform Gimp 2.6.11. I have been using Gimp happily for a long time. But however hard I try, I can't get better results from PS than I get from Gimp, despite much web praise for Elements. Can anyone reassure me that I haven't wasted my money? Thanks.

nelsonal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,455Gear list
Like?
Re: elements 10 vs gimp
In reply to djon1, Dec 10, 2011

One of the key features in photoshop that Gimp doesn't have are adjustment layers. I believe they're in elements. Those may be worth the price of admission (non-destructive editing is a nice feature).

Few people don't prefer the ascetics of Adobe's software to Gimp.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AnandaSim
Forum ProPosts: 13,422Gear list
Like?

Perceptions:

Elements is a junior program in a commercial set of programs from Adobe. It is drastically cheaper and as a junior program, does not have a list of features that Photoshop CS has.

The Gimp is the one program from an open source effort. It represents all the best efforts of that team, no holding back. User interface wise, it seems more complex than Elements because the team would probably be more interested in increasing its power, not making it more marketable and user friendly.

In between is Corel Paintshop Pro. Since it is the main photo program by Corel, they put as much effort as they can into it. And since it is not in the market dominance of Photoshop, the price is currently low.

djon1 wrote:

Hi, my first newbie question. I've just bought Photoshop Elements 10 in the expectation that it would outperform Gimp 2.6.11. I have been using Gimp happily for a long time. But however hard I try, I can't get better results from PS than I get from Gimp, despite much web praise for Elements. Can anyone reassure me that I haven't wasted my money? Thanks.

AnandaSim's gear list:AnandaSim's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +15 more
Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?

Some points :

• GIMP may lack 16-bit support ( at present ) but it's a more powerful application in absolute terms. Remember that Elements is essentially a very cut-down version of full blown Photoshop.

• You are used to GIMP and it's methodology. You are not used to Elements. In time I expect you'll find Elements quite capable, although I expect you'll find yourself switching between both applications - I know of no one application that suits everybody all of the time. As your editing mindset is framed by GIMP you may even find it's your "natural" way of editing.

• I don't know what plug-ins you use for GIMP, so how much are you missing your favourite plug-ins ? I'd be loath to live without G'MIC at this point and I've some of my own scripts that are tailored to me. However you may find some plug-ins in the Elements world you like. Head over to the Digital Darkroom for some advice on that.

• I think you'll find Elements a tool you'll like ( especially if you shoot RAW and use ACR ), but I think you'll still find GIMP useful, perhaps even preferred depending on your own tastes.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

AnandaSim
Like?
In reply to nelsonal, Dec 10, 2011

nelsonal wrote:

One of the key features in photoshop that Gimp doesn't have are adjustment layers. I believe they're in elements. Those may be worth the price of admission (non-destructive editing is a nice feature).

Elements has layers but I believe it does not have adjustment layers

Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +15 more
sherwoodpete
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,761
Like?
Adjustment Layers
In reply to nelsonal, Dec 10, 2011

nelsonal wrote:

Agree completely. I've recently tried out GIMP and it's quite impressive, but this major omission makes it seem unusable to me.

I can imagine that a new user unfamiliar with this way of working might not immediately recognize the benefits, but once you try it, you may not want to go back.

Few people don't prefer the ascetics of Adobe's software to Gimp.

Possibly you were referring to 'aesthetics'

Regards,
Peter

sherwoodpete
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,761
Like?
In reply to AnandaSim, Dec 10, 2011

AnandaSim wrote:

nelsonal wrote:

Version 3.0 of Elements has them. Have they been dropped?

Graystar
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,373
Like?
In reply to AnandaSim, Dec 10, 2011

AnandaSim wrote:

Even my PSE 5 has adjustment layers with masks. The only problem is that it's 8 bit. Like PSE 5, PSE 10 supports flattened 16-bit images but working in layers is done in 8-bits...like GIMP.

There are a several tools that work in 16-bit, and apparently some sort of work-around for limited 16-bit layer functionality.

gwlaw99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,102
Like?

What exactly are you doing to the image to get these results?

AnandaSim
Like?
Oops, got carried away
In reply to Graystar, Dec 11, 2011

Yes, guys, you're correct.

By the way, I came across a patiently collected list of features missing in Elements in a recent discussion - within the month I think - can't remember where it was and the bookmarks I have don't show it to me. Anyone seen that list?

Ananda
--

Ananda
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6861540877/a-compilation-of-tips-for-beginners
http://anandasim.blogspot.com/
http://gplus.to/anandasim

'Enjoy Diversity - Live a Little or a Lot'

djon1
Like?
In reply to gwlaw99, Dec 11, 2011

Thanks for all your replies. In Gimp I use Levels, Curves, Brightness and Contrast and Unsharp Mask. Elements doesn't seem to have a proper Curves tool, though it has other functions I haven't come across before. I find Unsharp Mask in Elements far less responsive than in Gimp. Also Gimp gives me a far larger image to work on than Elements, which has too many subsidiary windows around the main image area. I do sometimes shoot in Raw with my Pentax dslr, and that hasn't been a problem in Gimp, which has a good plugin for raw called ufRaw; it works in much the same way as ACR. I have to admit I have resisted the siren call of Layers. There is a Layers function in Gimp but it may well be less comprehensive than the PS variety. I've bought a PS Elements primer and will be checking it out.

nelsonal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,455Gear list
Like?
In reply to djon1, Dec 12, 2011

Layers make a huge (and nice difference), even if you only use them in plug-ins. I highly reccomend for the wavelet decompose (aka frequency separation) plug-in:
http://registry.gimp.org/node/11742

It makes skin retouching look much more natural, and allows you all sorts of ways to combine the various layers to shapen an image, and allows you to paint the shapening out of out of focus areas.

Also, if you like grain, this adds the most realistic grain I've seen, though it's not very friendly (there are many sliders with cryptic names).
http://registry.gimp.org/node/101

Both use layers but leave only the recombining of them up to the user.

Both should have similar plug-ins for photoshop.

NetMage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,086Gear list
Like?
In reply to djon1, Dec 12, 2011

What is Effects|Curves missing?

-- hide signature --

-- Please remove the Quote option!
-- Why can't you edit more than once???
-- How about switching to real forum software?

NetMage's gear list:NetMage's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Sigma DP1x Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 +13 more
djon1
Like?
In reply to NetMage, Dec 12, 2011

It's what I'm missing! I can't find an Effects|Curves. I can find an Adjust

Color - Color Curves function; is that what you mean? There's certainly a lot of things I've never seen before. So much to try, so little time...

cutterpup
Regular MemberPosts: 465
Like?
In reply to djon1, Dec 14, 2011

I've been using both elements 5 and gimp for quite a while. Now i find myself lusting after Lightroom to use as my first course software and then I'll finish up in the others as needed.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads