LX-5 Firmware for new shipment from Amazon

Started Dec 4, 2011 | Discussions
AnisJ
Regular MemberPosts: 259Gear list
Like?
LX-5 Firmware for new shipment from Amazon
Dec 4, 2011

Just bought the LX-5 from Amazon having succumbed to the price of $269 (a steal in my opinion). I was wondering if the camera would be shipped with version 1 or 2 of the firmware. My guess is version 1 and would need to update it when I get the unit. Just curious.

AnisJ's gear list:AnisJ's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Samsung Galaxy S4 Apple iPad WiFi +1 more
Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 15,000
Like?
Re: LX-5 Firmware for new shipment from Amazon
In reply to AnisJ, Dec 4, 2011

AnisJ wrote:

Just bought the LX-5 from Amazon having succumbed to the price of $269 (a steal in my opinion). I was wondering if the camera would be shipped with version 1 or 2 of the firmware. My guess is version 1 and would need to update it when I get the unit. Just curious.

Hard to say. If it arrives with FW Level 2.0 factory-installed, that would bode well for those hoping that the LX5 stays around for a while (based on relatively recetn production-runs. The actual date of manufacturing test is included in the "internal serial number" that exist in the "Maker Notes" section of the meta-data of each image-file that the camera records. ExifTool can show that data.

When Amazon is willing to sell the LX5 for $276 (any day of the year), it sounds as if Panasonic is taking a self-imposed hit on the wholesale-price being asked of Amazon. Let us know the FW Level

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AnisJ
Like?
In reply to Detail Man, Dec 4, 2011

Thanks for responding. Yes I sure will report back of my findings when the unit arrives.
--
Big shots are small shots who keep shooting!

Nikon Coolpix 995 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Samsung Galaxy S4 Apple iPad WiFi +1 more
snapshot09
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,512
Like?

AnisJ wrote:

AnisJ
Like?
In reply to snapshot09, Dec 4, 2011

I guess you know, thanks a lot, that would be sweet. This would also mean it is the new stiock and not something lying on the shelf for long.
--

flbrit
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,005Gear list
Like?

I got onto this deal as well. This forum is great at communication along with other things. Also got extra battery.

Arrives Tuesday, in time for my Birthday.
--
Brian

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Nikon D800E Nikon D5200 Fujifilm X-E2 +2 more
AnisJ
Like?
In reply to flbrit, Dec 4, 2011

flbrit wrote:

Arrives Tuesday, in time for my Birthday.

What a coincidence, I bought this as a birthday present for myself as well!

Wishing you many happy returns of the day.

Keep us posted on the firmware when you get it. Thanks
--

AnisJ
Like?

I just got the email from Amazon informing me that the camera has been shipped and the ETA would be Tuesday. Original ETA was for Wednesday.
--

nowyre
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?

Just got the confirmation too - anticipated delivery is Tuesday, shipping from South Carolina. I didn't get the extra battery from Amazon because of some bad reviews about non-panasonic batteries being sent out, but that may have been an older review of a different vendor. These seemed to come from Amazon itself. Would you mind confirming that you got an OEM battery when it arrives? I'd like to order one, but figured it was best to wait til the camera got here and then get some extras.

snapshot09
Like?
In reply to nowyre, Dec 4, 2011

Just order the Panasonic battery sold and shipped by Amazon and you will be fine.

nowyre wrote:

Just got the confirmation too - anticipated delivery is Tuesday, shipping from South Carolina. I didn't get the extra battery from Amazon because of some bad reviews about non-panasonic batteries being sent out, but that may have been an older review of a different vendor. These seemed to come from Amazon itself. Would you mind confirming that you got an OEM battery when it arrives? I'd like to order one, but figured it was best to wait til the camera got here and then get some extras.

AnisJ
Like?
In reply to nowyre, Dec 4, 2011

nowyre wrote:

Just got the confirmation too - anticipated delivery is Tuesday, shipping from South Carolina.

Mine is being shipped from Nashville TN

I didn't get the extra battery from Amazon because of some bad reviews about non-panasonic batteries being sent out, but that may have been an older review of a different vendor. These seemed to come from Amazon itself. Would you mind confirming that you got an OEM battery when it arrives? I'd like to order one, but figured it was best to wait til the camera got here and then get some extras.

I did not order extra battery, I will use it first and see if the need is there.

-- hide signature --

lgs269
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?

My Amazon order was delivered Saturday morning. The LX5 shows Firmware Ver.2.0

elmo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,518
Like?
In reply to lgs269, Dec 4, 2011

You must live next door to Amazon's fulfillment center. Good news on the firmware.

rkhndjr
Forum ProPosts: 12,278
Like?
Keeping LX3 as well??

AnisJ wrote:

nowyre wrote:

Just got the confirmation too - anticipated delivery is Tuesday, shipping from South Carolina.

Mine is being shipped from Nashville TN

Mine has been shipped as of today. I am in north Georgia and might get it by Tuesday at latest. I have the LX3 and love it and now am in doubt about the need of both. Any thoughts, anyone??

I didn't get the extra battery from Amazon because of some bad reviews about non-panasonic batteries being sent out, but that may have been an older review of a different vendor. These seemed to come from Amazon itself. Would you mind confirming that you got an OEM battery when it arrives? I'd like to order one, but figured it was best to wait til the camera got here and then get some extras.

I did not order extra battery, I will use it first and see if the need is there.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Time, that aged nurse,
rocked me to patience.

nowyre
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
In reply to lgs269, Dec 4, 2011

lgs269 wrote:

My Amazon order was delivered Saturday morning. The LX5 shows Firmware Ver.2.0

Great news!!!!

As for the need for an extra battery, the Lumix battery on my other "travel" panasonic lasts quite a while, but if traveling, it's always a good idea to have a spare. If you're planning to use the video, that also justifies the extra backup, as well as a larger card.

Have you folks read anything about any improvement in the jpg algorithm with this firmware? That's my main complaint about my old panny - it has a very sharp lens and the color fidelity has been great, but in low light it can be quite noisy and there are some odd jpg artifacts, especially when it came to skintones. I'm sure the LX-5 will be a vast improvement on so many levels and having a RAW option will solve the jpg issue, but sometimes it's handy to save jpg + RAW.

AnisJ
Like?
Re: Keeping LX3 as well??
In reply to rkhndjr, Dec 4, 2011

rkhndjr wrote:

Mine has been shipped as of today. I am in north Georgia and might get it by Tuesday at latest. I have the LX3 and love it and now am in doubt about the need of both. Any thoughts, anyone??

When you get the LX5 keep it and if need be and you want to cash in, sell your LX3.

rkhndjr
Forum ProPosts: 12,278
Like?
Re: Keeping LX3 as well??

Thank you. I thought of that but the LX3's I see on FM are not selling even at $250.

AnisJ wrote:

rkhndjr wrote:

When you get the LX5 keep it and if need be and you want to cash in, sell your LX3.

-- hide signature --

Time, that aged nurse,
rocked me to patience.

snapshot09
Like?
Re: LX-5 Firmware 2.0
In reply to AnisJ, Dec 5, 2011

Yes, not sure if you find one still around without v2.0, especially Amazon.com

AnisJ wrote:

I guess you know, thanks a lot, that would be sweet. This would also mean it is the new stiock and not something lying on the shelf for long.
--

gostan
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
In reply to snapshot09, Dec 5, 2011

LX5 just delivered w firmware version 2.0.
--
Stan

sbruno
Contributing MemberPosts: 870
Like?
In reply to gostan, Dec 5, 2011

Great to know about the firmware. Mine arrives tomorrow. Should stand head and shoulders above my outgoing S90 (which was been a pretty good camera, really).

Steve

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads