EVF vs. Penta-Prism OVF? If the a77....

Started Dec 4, 2011 | Discussions
olynik969
Senior MemberPosts: 1,412
Like?
EVF vs. Penta-Prism OVF? If the a77....
Dec 4, 2011

Was offered in two models: (1) with it's current excellent EVF and (2) an excellent Penta-Prism OVF , which would you be inclined to buy/prefer - and why??

Obviously the new EVF for the a65/a77 is a big step forward from the a55 (per all the reviews), but for those who have used or tried them as well as used a very good Penta-Prism OVF, wondering which you would prefer...

Thanks, Bob
--
Bob (formerly bobmax)

Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A65 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OldClicker
Senior MemberPosts: 2,320
Like?
Re: EVF vs. Penta-Prism OVF? If the a77....
In reply to olynik969, Dec 4, 2011

olynik969 wrote:

Was offered in two models: (1) with it's current excellent EVF and (2) an excellent Penta-Prism OVF , which would you be inclined to buy/prefer - and why??

Obviously the new EVF for the a65/a77 is a big step forward from the a55 (per all the reviews), but for those who have used or tried them as well as used a very good Penta-Prism OVF, wondering which you would prefer...

Thanks, Bob
--

It couldn't do what it does with the OVF, so this is a non-question. If you are asking about the A77 vs. a theoretical A750 (an updated A700 with mediocre video/Live View), them do a search for many, many answers. – TF

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dave Oddie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,754
Like?

olynik969 wrote:

Even though I have just picked up an A77 myself I'd go for an "excellent Penta-Prism OVF "

Reason? I still think there is something more immediate (best word I can think of) about OVF's and I do not mean anything to do with lag by that either. Maybe I mean they have better colour purity. I have perfect colour vision to maybe I am cursed to notice these things :lol:

This opinion may change as I get used to the EVF as it is early days yet.

Maybe the idea is a version of Fuji's hybrid they brought out recently.

TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,408
Like?
In reply to Dave Oddie, Dec 4, 2011

The problem with the hybrid system is that it only works with one lens or a limited focal range at best as it requires a separate optical system to feed the OVF, as through the lens doesn't work with the SLT system.

El Profe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,706
Like?

The main advantage I see in the A77 EVF is the view finder size (.73x). It is almost as big as the one in the A900 (.74x).

But, if the "excellent Penta-Prism OVF" is better, or at least equal, to the penta-prism OVF in the Sony A700 (.63x). I take the OVF. But if it is as small as the penta-mirror OVF in the A580 (.53x), or worst like the one in the A390 (.49x), I take the A77 EVF (.73x).

JudyN
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,835Gear list
Like?

I don't think it's possible to make a crop sensor OVF as large as a full frame OVF. I can look into my Canon film camera and the OVF is huge compared to crop sensor OVFs. So the realistic comparison would be between a wonderful EVF and a tunnel-vision OVF.

-- hide signature --
 JudyN's gear list:JudyN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
tom
tom
Senior MemberPosts: 2,714
Like?
In reply to JudyN, Dec 4, 2011

JudyN wrote:

I don't think it's possible to make a crop sensor OVF as large as a full frame OVF. I can look into my Canon film camera and the OVF is huge compared to crop sensor OVFs. So the realistic comparison would be between a wonderful EVF and a tunnel-vision OVF.

-- hide signature --

I have to disagree. I have the A700, and its VF is significantly smaller than my Maxxum 7 (Minolta 35mm film camera with one of the best -non 100% VFs).

But Sony sells (sold??) a 1.3x magnifying eyepiece. When I put that on the A700 and my KM 7D the VFs seem as big as the Maxxum 7 VF, and it is very easy to compose and manually focus both in bright and low light. The amount of magnification is just right, because I can still see the full VF with all the VF info even though I shoot with my glasses on. So it seems as though Sony could build an A750 with the original A700 VF plus a built in magnifier.

I also tried the magnifier on my A100 (penta mirror, VF). However, there the results were much less useful. The dark nature of the original VF combined with the additional magnification resulted in a larger image that was too dark for me to easily manual focus - so it is full understandable to me the "joy" that all of Sony's 'less than 7 series' users experience when they try an SLT.

Answering the OP - Since most of the new features of the A77 are either affecting video or Jpeg shooting, I would prefer an A750 (with a built in 1.3x OVF magnifier). I would like the improved AF of the A77 (and A850/900 firmware upgrade), but don't like the changes made to the UI. I'm also not impressed with the complexity of the A77, which I believe has contributed to the difficulties with the firmware.

I would also like some of the features that the A850/900 have as well as their firmware upgrades. So I would actually prefer the A750 to be an upgrade in the A700 body - just think, no R&D or tooling costs needed on the body, controls, or control firmware.

tom

Glenn
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,821
Like?

unfortunately. in aps-c top quality OVF's have not been available so no, the A77 EVF is hands down better. there is not much even an A-900 lever OVF has that is worth the money it costs to put it in either
--
http://www.fotosource.com/downloads/flyer/eye_cancer_en_CA.pdf

olynik969
Senior MemberPosts: 1,412
Like?

Judy:

Not sure if you have ever looked through an Oly E-3/E-5, but it's viewfinder (Optical, Penta-Prism) is very large.... has a 1.15 mangification factor..... with a smaller than APS-C sensor. I had an E-3 and also a D700 (FF) and there wasn't much difference when looking through the viewfinders.

Bob

-- hide signature --

Bob (formerly bobmax)

El Profe
Like?
In reply to tom, Dec 4, 2011

I agree with you Tom.

I have an A700 (and a 7D and several Minolta film bodies including a Maxxum 7, 600si and 300si) and used to have an A55. I have never tried the Sony magnifying eyepiece, but I know that B&H sells it for $29.95. Maybe I should buy one also.

tom
tom
Senior MemberPosts: 2,714
Like?
In reply to El Profe, Dec 4, 2011

El Profe wrote:

I agree with you Tom.

I have an A700 (and a 7D and several Minolta film bodies including a Maxxum 7, 600si and 300si) and used to have an A55. I have never tried the Sony magnifying eyepiece, but I know that B&H sells it for $29.95. Maybe I should buy one also.

One thing. If you click the eyepiece fully in place, it does block the eye sensor, and you lose auto on/off for the display. I mount it just to the point where I get resistance. I can still see the entire frame and VF info, and the display turns on and off normally. I did stick a small piece of velcro fuzzy tape on the camera just above the top of the eyepiece to keep it in place instead of relying on the click lock.

tom

El Profe
Like?

Thanks for the idea.

dlkeller
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,117
Like?

I really wouldn't consider the A700 vf to be "tunnel vision" as you describe. I'd take the OVF along with the extra performace it seems to provide in the A580 and Pentax I keep reading about. Haven't looked through a A77 yet but compared to A55 the A700 is a no contest winner for me.
--
Dave

chlamchowder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,068Gear list
Like?

But Sony sells (sold??) a 1.3x magnifying eyepiece. When I put that on the A700 and my KM 7D the VFs seem as big as the Maxxum 7 VF, and it is very easy to compose and manually focus both in bright and low light. The amount of magnification is just right, because I can still see the full VF with all the VF info even though I shoot with my glasses on. So it seems as though Sony could build an A750 with the original A700 VF plus a built in magnifier.

I agree. However, I'd like to add that I manually focus with the OVF in my a580 without a magnifying eyepiece, and I find it quite easy to obtain accurate focus. The finder is smaller than that of a film camera, but the resolution is still practically infinite. (well, limited by the lens and focusing screen, but it's still high enough that you could take a photo through the OVF and pick out details from a 100% crop)

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
chlamchowder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,068Gear list
Like?

I have tried both the a55 and a65 (which has the same EVF as the a77), and I would still prefer the OVF in the a580. If the a580 had a large pentaprism OVF, that'd be nice, although that isn't really necessary (unless the camera didn't have live view - then I'd want a pentaprism OVF). All I really need for what I usually shoot is something that has zero lag regardless of light condition. Much lower power consumption and much higher resolution (and a much more 'real' looking preview) just makes the OVF even better.

So to answer the question, I'd definitely buy the model with the OVF. And that model would make me more likely to stick with Sony, and more comfortable with investing in the Sony system.

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
Trollmann
Senior MemberPosts: 1,158
Like?

To me there is no way back - I am fully into EVFs and I will never buy a camera with an OVF. To me a viewfinder is a tool that can help me to get the best possible end result, not a means to look at the world as it is (then I simply peep outside the finder)...

EVFs offer a plethora of information that an OVF never can give (we can preview exposure, white balance, colour casts, super accurate focus magnifier, a bright view in low light and a lot more before even taking a single photograph). If you do not find this kind of information useful, well - then an OVF would suffice, I guess...

EVFs have drawbacks - refresh rate (not a big deal after the A77) and a bit grainy low light image.

But - sure OVFs also have drawbacks...

TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,408
Like?
In reply to chlamchowder, Dec 4, 2011

You can pick up detail worth 16 million pixels through that viewfinder? You must have hawk vision....

From my experience there is no way to judge pixel level detail from my 12 MP sensor with that peep hole. And that's with the magnifier. It does a ok job for judging focus accuracy, not much more.

pruus
Regular MemberPosts: 107Gear list
Like?

If i take the One camere or 645 or Hasselblad, yes Your right. The OVF is impressive. But be honest, if you schoot in studio, where do you judge The picture? Yes on The computerscreen. Accept the innovation. Don't regret.
--
Catch the light!
http://www.jantepas.nl

pruus's gear list:pruus's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Sony SLT-A77
realgeek
Senior MemberPosts: 1,174
Like?

I like the EVF for all it can do, and not just because of the size. I'd rather have the A77 than a hypothetical A750 (with OVF).

But I still think they should make an A750, because not everyone agrees with me.

goetz48
Senior MemberPosts: 2,607Gear list
Like?
For me

even the pentaprism OVF of the A700 was a step back from the EVF of my KM A2.

I want to see what my camera is going to see, and not what I can see. For the latter I don't need taking photographs or using viewfinders.

goetz48's gear list:goetz48's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads