wishlist for the S100 successor

Started Dec 4, 2011 | Discussions
wellred
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?
Re: I'd wish for an end to the "Lens Error of death"
In reply to peterharvey, Jun 18, 2012

So many people use touch screen phones now. There is a good reason none of them use resistive touch screens, because they are rubbish! Either do something properly or don't do it at all.

I'm not going to bother with the RX100 as I can't justify paying that much for a point and shoot. But if Canon can release a similar camera to the S100 (within the same price range) and fix the lens error issue then I'm sold.

In terms of release date I am going away mid December. Is it likely the camera will be released by then?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Elaka Farmor
Regular MemberPosts: 398
Like?
Re: wishlist for the S100 successor
In reply to peterharvey, Jul 18, 2012

peterharvey wrote:

1) I wish they'd make it more stylish like the new Sony RX100.
2) I also wish they'd keep the same size, esp thickness at 27mm.
3) A higher resolution LCD panel would be nice.
4) We could also consider a capacitive touch screen for the S105?

5) I see a lot of people from Amazon complaining of poor quality issues with the S100.

Why not f1.4 maximum apature as LX7 and EX2F.... f1.4 seems to be the new standard now.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
softcorestudio
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Re: wishlist for the S100 successor
In reply to knotty73, Jul 19, 2012

I think that they don't change the base: sensor, lens & Digic5. So I think that S105 will be rather incremental upgrade (like S95). What they really can do (I hope):
1. Better LCD
2. Faster operation
3. Handheld HDR
4. New shooting modes (like sweep panorama for example)
5. Shooting while filming
6. Maybe, some tweaks in ergonomics or interface

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tigerye
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
Re: I'd wish for an end to the "Lens Error of death"
In reply to peterharvey, Jul 19, 2012

A biger sensor that matches r100, and a brighter lens. I don't mind zoom range. Starting 28mm is good for me since I found out that 24mm has too much distortion and DPP can not fix it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bruce Chastain xx
Forum MemberPosts: 63
Like?
Re: wishlist for the S100 successor
In reply to softcorestudio, Jul 19, 2012

softcorestudio wrote:

I think that they don't change the base: sensor, lens & Digic5. So I think that S105 will be rather incremental upgrade (like S95). What they really can do (I hope):
1. Better LCD
2. Faster operation
3. Handheld HDR
4. New shooting modes (like sweep panorama for example)
5. Shooting while filming
6. Maybe, some tweaks in ergonomics or interface

That pretty much sums up my desires. I'll just add 1 more one critical to me.

7. ELIMINATE the ISO 80 restriction over 1 second exposures.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
skisagooner
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
Re: wishlist for the S100 successor
In reply to softcorestudio, Jul 19, 2012

1. Hand-held HDR
2. Manual focus while recording videos
3. Faster autofocus (especially while recording)
3. Bigger battery
4. Tougher screen, less prone to scratches?
5. Remain at 24mm if not wider.

My personal list. Still, a happy owner of an S100 and I see myself using this camera for many years to come.

 skisagooner's gear list:skisagooner's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DaaamnGina
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
Re: wishlist for the S100 successor
In reply to knotty73, Jul 19, 2012

Some good ideas here. The good thing is that a lot of these can be done with firmware. Wouldn't it be great if Canon added these with an update like the 7D?

  • Better battery life

  • Make camera more responsive . E.g. When switching modes (PASM), hide the large icons showing the mode when the shutter button is pressed. You currently have to wait a couple seconds for it to go away. This drives me nuts.

  • Brighter aperture on the long end. I wouldn't mind a slight increase in size for this.

  • Allow more items in Custom menu

  • Allow more functions to be custom assigned to buttons

  • Add noise reduction settings

And just to agree with the other ideas posted...

  • Faster auto-focus, especially in the dark

  • Faster responding menus. Get rid of the animations

  • Max auto-ISO should allow all available ISO, not capped at 1600

  • Remove IS0 80 requirement for long exposures

  • Handheld HDR and panoramas

Some minor ones

  • Better flash power adjustments in manual mode (only 3 settings currently)

  • Better battery life info. Currently show low power as the batter heats up.

And a dream would be

  • Constant aperture. I would gladly give up some compactness and telephoto zoom for this... 24-70mm f2.0?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
skisagooner
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
Re: wishlist for the S100 successor
In reply to DaaamnGina, Jul 20, 2012

Amazing how so many things can be fixed with firmware! Sounds brilliant. Any idea if manual focus during recording is at all possible?

DaaamnGina wrote:

Some good ideas here. The good thing is that a lot of these can be done with firmware. Wouldn't it be great if Canon added these with an update like the 7D?

  • Better battery life

  • Make camera more responsive . E.g. When switching modes (PASM), hide the large icons showing the mode when the shutter button is pressed. You currently have to wait a couple seconds for it to go away. This drives me nuts.

  • Brighter aperture on the long end. I wouldn't mind a slight increase in size for this.

  • Allow more items in Custom menu

  • Allow more functions to be custom assigned to buttons

  • Add noise reduction settings

And just to agree with the other ideas posted...

  • Faster auto-focus, especially in the dark

  • Faster responding menus. Get rid of the animations

  • Max auto-ISO should allow all available ISO, not capped at 1600

  • Remove IS0 80 requirement for long exposures

  • Handheld HDR and panoramas

Some minor ones

  • Better flash power adjustments in manual mode (only 3 settings currently)

  • Better battery life info. Currently show low power as the batter heats up.

And a dream would be

  • Constant aperture. I would gladly give up some compactness and telephoto zoom for this... 24-70mm f2.0?

 skisagooner's gear list:skisagooner's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mcshan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,297
Like?
Re: wishlist for the S100 successor
In reply to knotty73, Jul 20, 2012

I too would want a bigger sensor. Unlike many I do NOT want more zoom or anything beyond a larger sensor that might make the camera larger. I'd even accept LESS zoom for a bigger sensor and faster/sharper lens. Please Canon don't turn the S series into a line of superzoom crap-boxes. Lastly a built in grip like Richard markets. Keep the S series small and pocket-able.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
snapshot09
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,512
Like?
S110 Release Date?
In reply to mcshan, Jul 20, 2012

Zoom range on the S100 is ideal. While a larger sensor would be interesting, given the G1X, it is unlikely. Also, it would push the price closer to the RX100.

As Canon did with the S90 to S95, changes from the S100 to S110 may be minimal. However, with all the competition in the last year, more changes than typical may be coming.

Is the S100 successor due Oct 2012?

mcshan wrote:

I too would want a bigger sensor. Unlike many I do NOT want more zoom or anything beyond a larger sensor that might make the camera larger. I'd even accept LESS zoom for a bigger sensor and faster/sharper lens. Please Canon don't turn the S series into a line of superzoom crap-boxes. Lastly a built in grip like Richard markets. Keep the S series small and pocket-able.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JackM
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,447Gear list
Like?
Faster Lens
In reply to knotty73, Jul 20, 2012

I would give up 120mm in exchange for 85 or 100mm and a faster lens, a la the Samsung EX2F or Panasonic LX7.

 JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
skisagooner
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
Re: Faster Lens
In reply to JackM, Jul 21, 2012

Faster lens on the telephoto end. I'm loving the f.2.0 on the 24mm. 99% of my photos are shot at 24mm.

JackM wrote:

I would give up 120mm in exchange for 85 or 100mm and a faster lens, a la the Samsung EX2F or Panasonic LX7.

 skisagooner's gear list:skisagooner's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
peterharvey
Regular MemberPosts: 371Gear list
Like?
Re: wishlist for the S100 successor
In reply to knotty73, Jul 23, 2012

If the new Canon EOS M compact interchangeable lens camera has a 3" LCD capacitive touch screen, identical to the new Rebel T4i, and the Elph 510 has a resistive touch screen, then could the forthcoming new Canon S105 have a touch screen too???

 peterharvey's gear list:peterharvey's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ben Saunders
Regular MemberPosts: 140
Like?
Re: wishlist for the S100 successor
In reply to skisagooner, Jul 31, 2012

I would like....

1. Faster Auto Focus
2. 1080p at either 30fps or 60fps (24fps is just too slow for kids IMHO)
3. A larger sensor to compete with the RX100
4. Same form factor...the size is just perfect.
5. Sweep Panorama (as per Sony)

I also rather like the new illustration mode on the RX100 and would like to see that on the Canon.

I'm actually rater tempted by the RX100, however, I would prefer to stick with Canon and in the uk, the RX100 only outputs 1080p50fps and I want 60fps or 30fps to match my Canon DSLR(30fps) and my wife's camera (30fps).

However, the Canon S100 is still an excellent camera as it is!

Cheers

Ben

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads