The A77 vs. NEX-7 ?

Started Dec 3, 2011 | Discussions
JPG
JPG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,203
Like?
The A77 vs. NEX-7 ?
Dec 3, 2011

I just read the A-77 review and was not particularly impressed with it. Are we going to expect the same thing with the NEX-7? I would certainly like to read a review on this website about the NEX-7 before I accept my order, if and when it comes.
There may be some alternate decisions to be made.

Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,073Gear list
Like?
Re: The A77 vs. NEX-7 ?
In reply to JPG, Dec 3, 2011

JPG wrote:

I just read the A-77 review and was not particularly impressed with it. Are we going to expect the same thing with the NEX-7? I would certainly like to read a review on this website about the NEX-7 before I accept my order, if and when it comes.

What weren't you impressed with? Your statement is too vague.

Eric
--
I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
xxbluejay21
Regular MemberPosts: 337
Like?
In reply to JPG, Dec 3, 2011

They're totally different cameras. Mainly the size difference (which is the main reason one would go for the NEX cameras in the first place) and the mirror on the a77 which allows for much faster autofocus (read through the forums. People complain about AF on the 5N and the 7 has the same contrast detection autofocus system) and 12fps (although on both cameras the burst mode lasts less than 2 seconds). Also the A77 has like 10 times the lenses available for the system and built in stabilization. Like I said, they're made for different purposes and marketed towards different groups of people. The A77 is a DSLR replacement. The NEX 5N/7 is a point and shoot replacement (although the 7 is way too expensive to serve that purpose) or a second travel camera.

Sosua
Senior MemberPosts: 2,259Gear list
Like?
In reply to viking79, Dec 3, 2011

Yeah - the A77 reviewed as well as any prosumer DSLR ever here?

Purely from an image quality perspective, the NEX-7 will have a half stop noise advantage plus more detail thanks to the AA filter.
--

http://www.samwaldron.co.nz

Sosua's gear list:Sosua's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2
Mirfak
Contributing MemberPosts: 982Gear list
Like?
In reply to xxbluejay21, Dec 3, 2011

xxbluejay21 wrote:

The NEX 5N/7 is a point and shoot replacement (although the 7 is way too expensive to serve that purpose) or a second travel camera.

I find it hard to think of a P&S upgrade costing more than a good DSLR. The 5N is in line with a P&S upgrade, but the 7 costs more than a Canon 60D or a Nikon D7000. I have the same issue with the Nikon V1 - expensive P&S upgrade.

Knallberto
Senior MemberPosts: 5,478
Like?
In reply to xxbluejay21, Dec 4, 2011

The A77 is a DSLR replacement. The NEX 5N/7 is a point and shoot replacement

Hmmm, did you photograph till now with a HelloKittyCam? It seems so ...
.. and earth is a disk and Xmas gifts SantaClaus throws through chimney ...

SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,586Gear list
Like?

xxbluejay21 wrote:

The NEX 5N/7 is a point and shoot replacement

What is it that makes it a point and shoot replacement? Just because it doesn't have a mirror and PDAF? Same true for M8, M9, X10, etc?

Or is it just the lack of dedicated manual controls?

-- hide signature --

Nex-5 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,696Gear list
Like?
Re: What review?
In reply to JPG, Dec 4, 2011

JPG wrote:

Dpreview gave the SLT-77 their highest score ever (of all reviewed cameras). I expect the Nex-7 to get a very similar score. The Nex-5N was also rated very high.

The Nex-7 is smaller than the 77, but lacks body IS and PDAF. You can get the latter with the LA-EA2 adapter, but the IS only can be had in SEL lenses.

For me, (smaller) size wins. Do consider the Nex-5N too.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
xxbluejay21
Like?
In reply to SQLGuy, Dec 4, 2011

SQLGuy wrote:

What is it that makes it a point and shoot replacement?

Just my opinion. I attributed the description not because of price or image quality, but mostly size. People go for point and shoots because they're pocketable. A lot of people also add small manual lenses or the 16/2.8 so they can pocket their nex, and almost everyone who is interested in the NEX system is interested because of size. Even people with a multiple DSLR's say they will get a NEX and use it whenever they used to use a point and shoot. In that respect, I consider it a point and shoot replacement. Also, contrast detect focus, bad battery life, and slightly awkward ergonomics (especially for people used to DSLR grips) were what made me say that. I never said that the NEX 7 was a bad camera lol. The Leica M series don't relate to what I was talking about at all, so I'm not sure why you brought them up. Rangefinders and mirrorless/DSLR's are vastly different. The whole point of a point and shoot is size and simplicity. The NEX offers both.

Michael Everett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,664
Like?

xxbluejay21 wrote:

Just my opinion. I attributed the description not because of price or image quality, but mostly size. People go for point and shoots because they're pocketable. A lot of people also add small manual lenses or the 16/2.8 so they can pocket their nex, and almost everyone who is interested in the NEX system is interested because of size. Even people with a multiple DSLR's say they will get a NEX and use it whenever they used to use a point and shoot. In that respect, I consider it a point and shoot replacement. . . The Leica M series don't relate to what I was talking about at all, so I'm not sure why you brought them up. Rangefinders and mirrorless/DSLR's are vastly different. The whole point of a point and shoot is size and simplicity. The NEX offers both.

The Nex system is the only system I have right now, and I do not consider myself someone moving up from a point and shoot. The 5n is a considerable leap in the direction of a DSLR replacement over previous Nex's, especially with the EVF, and the Nex 7 will be even more so, particularly ergonomically and in the prevelance of controls. The IQ of both of these cameras is easily equal to any DSLR except for some full frames, and even then it is not that far off.

Regarding Leica, I have lusted for an M9 for some time, but no more. With the 5n I am getting most of what the M9 has to offer. Excellent IQ, especially with good MF lenses, Zeiss mostly in my case, and what I consider the 21st-century version of the rangefinder, focus peaking. Just because Leica clings to mechanical solutions when electronic ones are fast overtaking those in every field not just in focusing doesn't mean the mechanical ones are better.

Michael

SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,586Gear list
Like?

I brought up Leica because:

1. They also don't have a mirror

2. They also support interchangeable lenses (and a number of people use their lenses on Nex)
3. They also lack PDAF

4. I think there are a number of people to whom the M8 and M9 appeal that are instead going to buy a Nex 5N or 7

I own and have used rangefinders. I don't see why you (and a number of people) consider them that different from mirrorless cameras. Yes, mirrorless provides light gain, DOF preview, and WYSIWYG focusing with manual lenses, but the feel of using them, and the types of photography to which they are both suited seems quite similar to me.

I think I understand your perspective, but I don't think it's correct. The Nikon 1's, and some of the m43's I can see as being targeted at P&S upgraders who would like interchangeable lenses, but still effectively want a point-and-shoot (smaller with the lens, less control/more automation, and less manual controls). The Nex 7, with its emphasis on manual controls, and with it being a much larger-than-pocketable package, seems much more targeted at the advanced amateur and some pros, who don't want a DSLR.

xxbluejay21 wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

What is it that makes it a point and shoot replacement?

Just my opinion. I attributed the description not because of price or image quality, but mostly size. People go for point and shoots because they're pocketable. A lot of people also add small manual lenses or the 16/2.8 so they can pocket their nex, and almost everyone who is interested in the NEX system is interested because of size. Even people with a multiple DSLR's say they will get a NEX and use it whenever they used to use a point and shoot. In that respect, I consider it a point and shoot replacement. Also, contrast detect focus, bad battery life, and slightly awkward ergonomics (especially for people used to DSLR grips) were what made me say that. I never said that the NEX 7 was a bad camera lol. The Leica M series don't relate to what I was talking about at all, so I'm not sure why you brought them up. Rangefinders and mirrorless/DSLR's are vastly different. The whole point of a point and shoot is size and simplicity. The NEX offers both.

-- hide signature --

Nex-5 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
xxbluejay21
Like?
In reply to SQLGuy, Dec 4, 2011

SQLGuy wrote:

I think I understand your perspective, but I don't think it's correct. The Nikon 1's, and some of the m43's I can see as being targeted at P&S upgraders who would like interchangeable lenses, but still effectively want a point-and-shoot (smaller with the lens, less control/more automation, and less manual controls). The Nex 7, with its emphasis on manual controls, and with it being a much larger-than-pocketable package, seems much more targeted at the advanced amateur and some pros, who don't want a DSLR.

There is no right or wrong lol. It's an opinion. It's how I view the NEX system. Why respond to that one sentence instead of my whole paragraph? My post was describing the differences between the NEX 7 and the A77.

nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,725Gear list
Like?
Nope
In reply to blue_skies, Dec 4, 2011

blue_skies wrote:

Dpreview gave the SLT-77 their highest score ever (of all reviewed cameras).

Ahhh no they didn't

Danny.

m4/3 Small birds and legacy teles
http://www.macrophotos.com/avian/avian.html

m4/3 macro
http://www.macrophotos.com/g2macro

Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,174Gear list
Like?
In reply to JPG, Dec 4, 2011

The A77 as an infinately better lens selection, weathersealing (though how many lenses are sealed?) , better ergonomics and the AF is Phase detect and has Sony's best AF sensor ever.

The NEX7 fights back with better image quality / less noise due not being crippled with the SLT mirror setup and has the IS in the lenses where it's by far most effective ..

You can turn a NEX7 into a kinda kludgy A77 by adding the LE-AH2 adapter wheras you're stuck with the SLT mirror for good in the A77 itself .... you lose the lovely glass pentaprism in both models - shame they didn't do a non-SLT A770 with a proper flappy mirror so therefore no light or quality loss (and use a more advanced version of the A350 setup for real time liveview)

-- hide signature --

A Problem is only the pessimistic way of looking at a challenge

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Fujifilm X-S1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
tompower53
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,253Gear list
Like?
Not sure how you think the NEX 7 is

a P&S replacement. To me it is clearly either a DSLR/SLT replacement or alternative/addition.

Now the NEX3/5 is a different story though still will fit the above description for some. A viable P&S alternative or upgrade for many moving up but not wanting a full size DSLR/SLT.

I will be replacing my entire A700 kit with the NEX 7 and maybe 3 lenses.
--
tom power

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,696Gear list
Like?
Re: Nope
In reply to nzmacro, Dec 5, 2011

nzmacro wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

Dpreview gave the SLT-77 their highest score ever (of all reviewed cameras).

Ahhh no they didn't

Danny.

You are correct:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/?category=all&order=rating

Number 1 in silver award.

These are the ones that rank higher (should take out the full size ones first):

• 89% Canon EOS-1D Mark IV (Feb 22, 2010)

• 89% Nikon D3S (Feb 16, 2010)

• 86% Nikon D3X (Feb 19, 2009)

• 84% Canon EOS 7D (Nov 6, 2009)

• 83% Pentax K-5 (Dec 18, 2010)

• 82% Nikon D300S (Nov 16, 2009)

• 81% Sony SLT-A77 (Oct 25, 2011)

Nex-5N got gold award:

• 79% Sony Alpha NEX-5N (Oct 3, 2011)

• 78% Sony SLT-A65 (Nov 15, 2011)

m4/3 macro

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,725Gear list
Like?
Re: Nope
In reply to blue_skies, Dec 5, 2011

blue_skies wrote:

Number 1 in silver award.

These are the ones that rank higher (should take out the full size ones first):

• 89% Canon EOS-1D Mark IV (Feb 22, 2010)

• 89% Nikon D3S (Feb 16, 2010)

• 86% Nikon D3X (Feb 19, 2009)

• 84% Canon EOS 7D (Nov 6, 2009)

• 83% Pentax K-5 (Dec 18, 2010)

• 82% Nikon D300S (Nov 16, 2009)

• 81% Sony SLT-A77 (Oct 25, 2011)

Nex-5N got gold award:

• 79% Sony Alpha NEX-5N (Oct 3, 2011)

• 78% Sony SLT-A65 (Nov 15, 2011)

Thats better Henry ;). The 7D appeals except I won't go back to a large rig. Next for me will be either the 5n or the NEX7. The NEX7 seems to suit me, but if not, the 5n will do nicely. Sony seems to be doing better things with that sensor in the NEX7 than they are in the A77. Interesting.

All the best Henry.

Danny.

m4/3 macro

ET2
ET2
Senior MemberPosts: 3,742Gear list
Like?
In reply to AdamT, Dec 5, 2011

AdamT wrote:

The A77 as an infinately better lens selection, weathersealing (though how many lenses are sealed?) , better ergonomics and the AF is Phase detect and has Sony's best AF sensor ever.

There are more too -- like better bracketing options, auto ISO customization, gps, and probably many other stuff on A77 that isn't on Nex-7.

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 6,860
Like?
In reply to Michael Everett, Dec 5, 2011

Michael Everett wrote:

xxbluejay21 wrote:

Just my opinion. I attributed the description not because of price or image quality, but mostly size. People go for point and shoots because they're pocketable. A lot of people also add small manual lenses or the 16/2.8 so they can pocket their nex, and almost everyone who is interested in the NEX system is interested because of size. Even people with a multiple DSLR's say they will get a NEX and use it whenever they used to use a point and shoot. In that respect, I consider it a point and shoot replacement. . . The Leica M series don't relate to what I was talking about at all, so I'm not sure why you brought them up. Rangefinders and mirrorless/DSLR's are vastly different. The whole point of a point and shoot is size and simplicity. The NEX offers both.

The Nex system is the only system I have right now, and I do not consider myself someone moving up from a point and shoot. The 5n is a considerable leap in the direction of a DSLR replacement over previous Nex's, especially with the EVF, and the Nex 7 will be even more so, particularly ergonomically and in the prevelance of controls. The IQ of both of these cameras is easily equal to any DSLR except for some full frames, and even then it is not that far off.

The exception is the Sigma SD1, which is in a different league (and price bracket). Examples:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1027&thread=39994802

Regarding Leica, I have lusted for an M9 for some time, but no more. With the 5n I am getting most of what the M9 has to offer. Excellent IQ, especially with good MF lenses, Zeiss mostly in my case, and what I consider the 21st-century version of the rangefinder, focus peaking. Just because Leica clings to mechanical solutions when electronic ones are fast overtaking those in every field not just in focusing doesn't mean the mechanical ones are better.

A Sony NEX camera could be used as a film back with a Novoflex tilt-and-shift bellows to replace a large format studio camera such as a Sinar.

With adaptors, it can be used to replace almost any film-using SLR or rangefinder.

The NEX can certainly be a step up for a p&s user, but it is much more than that.

All we need is a movie button that is not being accidentally pressed every ten minutes.

Jack A. Zucker
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,539
Like?
In reply to Mirfak, Dec 5, 2011

Mirfak wrote:

xxbluejay21 wrote:

The NEX 5N/7 is a point and shoot replacement (although the 7 is way too expensive to serve that purpose) or a second travel camera.

I find it hard to think of a P&S upgrade costing more than a good DSLR. The 5N is in line with a P&S upgrade, but the 7 costs more than a Canon 60D or a Nikon D7000. I have the same issue with the Nikon V1 - expensive P&S upgrade.

the v1 is a different story because nikon deliberately dumbed it down in terms of sensor size. I predict epic fail on that one.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads