Dissapointed With The GF2

Started Dec 3, 2011 | Discussions
benarden
Contributing MemberPosts: 525Gear list
Like?
Dissapointed With The GF2
Dec 3, 2011

After looking for a 4/3 format camera, and reading several rave reviews, I bought the Panasonic Lumix GF2. . After some basic tests, I realized I have A Panasonic Point and shoot (ZS5 ) that runs circles around it.
A bit of explanation

1:) When rapidly taking a series of pictures of a bright scene, using "AI" the exposure system fails, ending up with many wildly over exposed pictures. There may be a software bug with "Intelligent Exposure" and "auto bracketing".
The results are abysmal, with many over exposed shots.

In " Trouble Shooting" on Pg 206, the above " Whitish Picture" is described as " Dirty lens" or " Dirty sensor". This is not true, as it is doubtless a software fault.

You cannot take very long time exposures of the night sky, or a dimly light room, even in " Manual" mode because the software locks you out, Smugly telling you "Not enough light". Star trail pictures are dim by nature Panasonic; who the heck are you to tell me what to do with my expensive camera !

I still have the ZS5, which has better control software that the feature bloat ( baby1, Baby2, Pet) used on the GF2. I really liked some of the images it took with it, but the GF2 even using "IA" mode, was too error prone, grossly over exposing too often to keep it.

The GF2 is a waste of a reasonably good sensor, compact design and fine lens due to software flaws.

I returned the GF2 for a full refund.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
WoodWorks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,268
Like?
Re: Dissapointed With The GF2
In reply to benarden, Dec 3, 2011

Well, seeing that you got AI mixed up with iA, my guess is that there may be other things about the operation of the camera that you may have missed.

Most users seem to be able to wring decent pictures out of the GF2, but you probably did the right thing by returning it.

David
--
It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows
--Epictetus

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rovert
Forum MemberPosts: 80
Like?
In reply to WoodWorks, Dec 3, 2011

I just bought the camera a week ago and I am happy with it so far. At first I was wishing the camera would give me the world but realized it can only give me a city block when my older point and shoots just gave me a front lawn. I have a lot to learn to take advantage of this sensor and work through and around it's characteristics. I bought this camera for more of the manual control than it's "iA" setting. While it seems to work totally fine to me I prefer having control over the final outcome of my composition. Good luck with your search for the 'idea' camera for your tastes!

Here's a picture I took the 1st day I got the camera. I love the depth of field that these sensors/lens allow compared to the much smaller sensored cameras... Oh and Merry Christmas!!

-- hide signature --

--Trevor--

magnumgf
Regular MemberPosts: 133
Like?

You cannot take very long time exposures of the night sky, or a dimly light room, even in " Manual" mode because the software locks you out, Smugly telling you "Not enough light". Star trail pictures are dim by nature Panasonic; who the heck are you to tell me what to do with my expensive camera !

I still have the ZS5, which has better control software that the feature bloat ( baby1, Baby2, Pet) used on the GF2. I really liked some of the images it took with it, but the GF2 even using "IA" mode, was too error prone, grossly over exposing too often to keep it.

The GF2 is a waste of a reasonably good sensor, compact design and fine lens due to software flaws.

Why did you buy a camera like the GF2 if you would not and could not learn to use it? I can think of something else you should return. Too bad no one would give you anything for it...

Julian_K
Senior MemberPosts: 1,165
Like?
Why...

... didn't you just post your issues with the camera on here so we could help you out? What are you hoping to achieve by whining on issues that just demonstrate you don't understand your camera?

I don't get people on these forums some times...

Jerodequin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,227Gear list
Like?

benarden wrote:

1:) When rapidly taking a series of pictures of a bright scene, using "AI" the exposure system fails, ending up with many wildly over exposed pictures. There may be a software bug with "Intelligent Exposure" and "auto bracketing".
The results are abysmal, with many over exposed shots.

You don't seem to understand how auto bracketing works, the idea is that it will provide one correct exposure, with a series of under and over exposed images.

You cannot take very long time exposures of the night sky, or a dimly light room, even in " Manual" mode because the software locks you out, Smugly telling you "Not enough light"

this is so completely untrue, I imagine you have lost the interest of most people immediately.

IA mode is essentially 'idiot mode' intended for people who have no idea how a camera works or how to change settings themselves, if this is the way you like to use cameras then generally you are better off sticking with a point and shoot. Some models have better fully automatic modes, but none will ever please everyone.

Sounds like the best thing, given what you have posted above.

Jerodequin's gear list:Jerodequin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
Hang on...

Did you really just complain that auto-bracketing gave you incorrectly exposed photos? If not, my apologies, if so, thank you for posting the most hilarious thing I have read this week

I've not used the GF2, but I've used the GF1 a lot, and own and use a G1 and GH2. They certainly don't have the problems you had, in fact they are remarkably smart. The GF1 was a present to a friend, she doesn't know a lens from an aubergine, the camera has never left IA in her hands, and she never misses a shot. So either Panasonic did something terrible between the GF1 and the GF2 or, well, I got banned about five years back under similar circumstances, but I think we can all guess what the "or" might be!

tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 15,713Gear list
Like?
This is a perfect example.......

of how I think u 4/3 cameras overpromise to point-n-shoot upgraders.

The last generation of u 4/3 cameras really require some photographic skills to getthe best out of them. If you know how to work a rangefinder, you will love a u 4/3 camera. If you are an inexperienced dSLR user you will have some PDAF to CDAF adjustments to make.

If you are a point n shoot moron, the camera needs an "i-Moron" mode that says, "return this camera and get your point n shoot back".

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +9 more
Louis_Dobson
Like?
Re: This is a perfect example.......
In reply to tedolf, Dec 3, 2011

I have to ask, have you ever used a rangefinder camera? I cannot find the resemblance to an MFT camera. See thread on subject.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 15,713Gear list
Like?
Thanks for asking!
In reply to Louis_Dobson, Dec 3, 2011

Louis_Dobson wrote:

I have to ask, have you ever used a rangefinder camera? I cannot find the resemblance to an MFT camera. See thread on subject.
--

My first camera was an Oly 35sp-great viewfinder/rangefinder-spot meter too.

Learned to do B&W darkroom work with that camera.

Next, after an interlude with two SLR's, a Minolta CLE. Had if for about 20 years, still have the lenses (40mm and 90mm). Replaced it with an E-pl1 and VF-2. Still have a Voigtlander Bessa R2 which I use as a back up body and for multi day hikes where the batteries on the E-pl1 won't last. Swap the M lenses back and forth between the Bessa and the E-pl1.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

TEdolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +9 more
rickyclicks
Regular MemberPosts: 412
Like?
In reply to Jerodequin, Dec 3, 2011

IA mode is essentially 'idiot mode' intended for people who have no idea how a camera works or how to change settings themselves

It seems to be true that, if you make something idiot-proof, they just invent a more advance idiot...

Mike Fewster
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,485
Like?
This is becoming embarrassing...
In reply to tedolf, Dec 3, 2011

tedolf wrote:

of how I think u 4/3 cameras overpromise to point-n-shoot upgraders.

The last generation of u 4/3 cameras really require some photographic skills to getthe best out of them. If you know how to work a rangefinder, you will love a u 4/3 camera. If you are an inexperienced dSLR user you will have some PDAF to CDAF adjustments to make.

If you are a point n shoot moron, the camera needs an "i-Moron" mode that says, "return this camera and get your point n shoot back".

I'm agreeing with you again Tedolph. The same points are even more relevant to the Nex. The menu/dedicated button set up they use can be sort of OK, but only if you really know what you are doing with manual controls. ie, you are an experienced photographer who knows exactly what controls are important to you and what you want placed where and what you want prioritized. If you don't know this, finding your way through the menus and setting the thing up to really perform is hit and miss and I would guess that most would leave it in one of the auto modes.
--
Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Louis_Dobson
Like?
Re: This is becoming embarrassing...
In reply to Mike Fewster, Dec 3, 2011

In all honesty, what they need is a recessed reset switch. If you stick a GF1 on IA and factory settings, only a complete twit could fail to get P&S-but-better results. The problem comes when people with a little knowledge (like Lucy's teenage kids) fiddle.

I found the reset in the menu for her.

A button would have been a lot better. I don't wish to malign the OP, maybe he had a faulty sample. But in general, reset, IA, can't go wrong. (not that I would ever use IA!).

magnumgf
Like?

Here are some samples from the GF2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wingmanzero/sets/72157625555677736/

You should be able to see what camera settings have been used. Perhaps that can help you to understand how to get the most out of a GF2.

hindesite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,159
Like?
In reply to Jerodequin, Dec 3, 2011

Jerodequin wrote:

IA mode is essentially 'idiot mode'

But, as demonstrated, not idiot proof...

WoodWorks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,268
Like?
In reply to magnumgf, Dec 3, 2011

magnumgf wrote:

Perhaps that can help you to understand how to get the most out of a GF2.

It's too late for instruction, magnum. He sent the camera back for a refund already. If only someone had been there to teach him how to hold the user's manual right side up.

David
--
It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows
--Epictetus

Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 17,602Gear list
Like?
Reset button.... agreed
In reply to Louis_Dobson, Dec 3, 2011

Louis_Dobson wrote:

In all honesty, what they need is a recessed reset switch. If you stick a GF1 on IA and factory settings, only a complete twit could fail to get P&S-but-better results. The problem comes when people with a little knowledge (like Lucy's teenage kids) fiddle.

I found the reset in the menu for her.

A button would have been a lot better. I don't wish to malign the OP, maybe he had a faulty sample. But in general, reset, IA, can't go wrong. (not that I would ever use IA!).

Yes, a hole with a button behind it would be lovely, like in my modem, where you press in with a toothpick for 2 seconds and zappo! all the way back to out of the box.

Allied to that, for the experienced user, a nice addition would be a way to save settings to PC and then restore them later. My Casio pocket cameras can do it, why not something supposedly more sophisticated? Now if only Casio would buy the Olympus camera division......

Speaking of reset buttons, even my nice film SLR Nikon N8008s/F801s has a secret undocumented reset button. Have used it a couple of times to undo camera lockups & glitches. Hint, take out the battery pack and press a toothpick into the screw hole.

Regards......... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +15 more
Framerate
Senior MemberPosts: 1,000
Like?
In reply to rovert, Dec 4, 2011

rovert wrote:

I just bought the camera a week ago and I am happy with it so far. At first I was wishing the camera would give me the world but realized it can only give me a city block when my older point and shoots just gave me a front lawn

A nice analogy - but there are cameras out there, like the Nex 5n, that could give you a County (or, perhaps, even a State) for the same money.

Why settle for a parochial limitation, like a 'block'?

Increasingly, I'm coming to realise that M4/3 is dead end street.

magnumgf
Like?
In reply to Framerate, Dec 4, 2011

A nice analogy - but there are cameras out there, like the Nex 5n, that could give you a County (or, perhaps, even a State) for the same money.

If sensor size is everything, then why stop at the Nex 5n? Why not go full frame?

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,133Gear list
Like?
In reply to Framerate, Dec 4, 2011

Framerate wrote:

rovert wrote:

I just bought the camera a week ago and I am happy with it so far. At first I was wishing the camera would give me the world but realized it can only give me a city block when my older point and shoots just gave me a front lawn

Framerate,
As far as I know you have recently bought GH2, and I understand why:
You have realized that NEX is working dead system, and let me explain you why.

Couple months ago, when SONY announced SLT adapter for NEX, it became obvious that with this step SONY have closed the NEX chapter; do not expect new E lenses, or anything else for E mount.

If you have NEX, use it as a digital back for SLT system. Buy this adapter, use A mount lenses, and do not bother SONY no longer.
Buy, Buy, NEX
--
MFT in progress

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads