Best memory card for XZ-1?

Started Dec 1, 2011 | Discussions
No Regrets
Contributing MemberPosts: 895Gear list
Like?
Best memory card for XZ-1?
Dec 1, 2011

My new XZ-1 just came recently and now I have to go out and get a memory card for it. As this is all new to me, I thought I'd ask here to see what is the best one for me to get for this camera so that I do not go out and make a mistake.

Thanks for any suggestions.

 No Regrets's gear list:No Regrets's gear list
Nikon Df Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A
Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ken Sills
Regular MemberPosts: 494
Like?
Re: Best memory card for XZ-1?
In reply to No Regrets, Dec 1, 2011

For still photos most any SDHC card will work fine. But I prefer the faster Class 10 cards.

For video you probably want to stay with the faster Class 10 cards, and also larger capacity cards to hold more minutes of video.

Memory is getting be really cheap and always on sale. You can get a reading on prices by visiting supermediastore.com or ecost.com or Amazon.com.

For example, on-line you can get 16GB Class 10 SDHC for about $20. That will hold about 4000 JPG pics. Or 8GB for about $10.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
joe6pack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,200Gear list
Like?
Re: Best memory card for XZ-1?
In reply to No Regrets, Dec 1, 2011

Whatever you decided. Don't get the Transcend 8GB Class 10. It freezes my XZ-1 from time to time until I had it replaced.

No Regrets wrote:

My new XZ-1 just came recently and now I have to go out and get a memory card for it. As this is all new to me, I thought I'd ask here to see what is the best one for me to get for this camera so that I do not go out and make a mistake.

Thanks for any suggestions.

 joe6pack's gear list:joe6pack's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Corel Aftershot Pro IrfanView
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
No Regrets
Contributing MemberPosts: 895Gear list
Like?
Re: Best memory card for XZ-1?
In reply to joe6pack, Dec 2, 2011

This is exactly the kind of info that I am looking for. I was afraid that some cards might work better/worse than others.

Thank you joe6pack for sharing your experience with me. So what did you replace it with it and how's it working for you now?

joe6pack wrote:

Whatever you decided. Don't get the Transcend 8GB Class 10. It freezes my XZ-1 from time to time until I had it replaced.

No Regrets wrote:

My new XZ-1 just came recently and now I have to go out and get a memory card for it. As this is all new to me, I thought I'd ask here to see what is the best one for me to get for this camera so that I do not go out and make a mistake.

Thanks for any suggestions.

 No Regrets's gear list:No Regrets's gear list
Nikon Df Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
No Regrets
Contributing MemberPosts: 895Gear list
Like?
Re: Best memory card for XZ-1?
In reply to Ken Sills, Dec 2, 2011

Ken Sills wrote:

For still photos most any SDHC card will work fine. But I prefer the faster Class 10 cards.

For video you probably want to stay with the faster Class 10 cards, and also larger capacity cards to hold more minutes of video.

Memory is getting be really cheap and always on sale. You can get a reading on prices by visiting supermediastore.com or ecost.com or Amazon.com.

For example, on-line you can get 16GB Class 10 SDHC for about $20. That will hold about 4000 JPG pics. Or 8GB for about $10.

Hi Ken,

Thank you for your reply and sharing some of the different places to look for pricing info.

Is there any particular brand of Class 10 card that works well for you? Are you using these in an XZ-1 as well?

 No Regrets's gear list:No Regrets's gear list
Nikon Df Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ken Sills
Regular MemberPosts: 494
Like?
Re: Best memory card for XZ-1?
In reply to No Regrets, Dec 2, 2011

I'm using an A-data 8GB Class 10 now. Also a Patriot 8GB Class 4. Have also used a Transcend 4GB Class 6. None of these have given me any problems at all.

I've been buying the cheapest, fastest without regard to name brand with never an issue. The PQI SDHC Class 10 cards at Supermediastore.com get good reviews.

The thing with these really large cards, like 32GB, is whether you want to put all your eggs in one basket. If the card fails on a vacation you could lose thousands of pics.

I'm going to Africa in April for 2+ weeks. I think, to avoid the disaster scenario, I may use a bunch of $5 each 4GB Class 10 cards and use each card for 1-2 days and then store it away.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
echelon2004
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,115
Like?
Re: Best memory card for XZ-1?
In reply to No Regrets, Dec 2, 2011

I have used all sorts of memory cards over the years and have finally concluded that since I have had problems with all brands of cards except for SanDisk,, including Lexar and lesser brands such as Transcend, I will only buy SanDisk.

In my XZ-1 I keep an 8gb SanDisk Extreme Pro sdhc card, a type of card that I have used in various cameras before without trouble. With speeds of up to 45mb/s it's pretty fast to use with a computer.

I do use a Lexar UDMA card reader that works very well.

Make sure you make a habit of formatting the card in camera after moving the images to the computer and after making a back up. Never delete or add files on the card using a computer.
--
Anders

'It is nice to be important but it is more important to be nice'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ClintB
Forum MemberPosts: 71
Like?
Re: Best memory card for XZ-1?
In reply to No Regrets, Dec 2, 2011

Two Transcend 8GB Class 10 cards for my XZ-1 and no problems. I also have a 16GB, same make and model, for my GF-2 and no problems there either.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
No Regrets
Contributing MemberPosts: 895Gear list
Like?
Re: Best memory card for XZ-1?
In reply to echelon2004, Dec 2, 2011

echelon2004 wrote:

I have used all sorts of memory cards over the years and have finally concluded that since I have had problems with all brands of cards except for SanDisk,, including Lexar and lesser brands such as Transcend, I will only buy SanDisk.

In my XZ-1 I keep an 8gb SanDisk Extreme Pro sdhc card, a type of card that I have used in various cameras before without trouble. With speeds of up to 45mb/s it's pretty fast to use with a computer.

I do use a Lexar UDMA card reader that works very well.

Make sure you make a habit of formatting the card in camera after moving the images to the computer and after making a back up. Never delete or add files on the card using a computer.
--
Anders

'It is nice to be important but it is more important to be nice'

Thank you for your post and sharing your helpful tips. This will be valuable info for me as I am learning the ropes.

 No Regrets's gear list:No Regrets's gear list
Nikon Df Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
joe6pack
Senior MemberPosts: 1,200Gear list
Like?
Re: Best memory card for XZ-1?
In reply to No Regrets, Dec 3, 2011

I am using a Transcend 8GB Class 6 right now.

See my thread here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1008&message=38884792

 joe6pack's gear list:joe6pack's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Corel Aftershot Pro IrfanView
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Otto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,095Gear list
Like?
Re: Best memory card for XZ-1?
In reply to No Regrets, Dec 3, 2011

I've never had any issues with any memory cards regardless of speed, size or brand. Currently using 16gb class 10 Transcend cards in my XZ-1 with no issues. Recently on sale at Amazon for $15.99 shipped free.

Good shooting with your XZ-1. I really enjoy mine.

Otto...

 Otto's gear list:Otto's gear list
Canon PowerShot A610 Canon PowerShot S400 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II Arcsoft Panorama Maker +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
No Regrets
Contributing MemberPosts: 895Gear list
Like?
Re: Best memory card for XZ-1?
In reply to echelon2004, Dec 3, 2011

echelon2004 wrote:

I have used all sorts of memory cards over the years and have finally concluded that since I have had problems with all brands of cards except for SanDisk,, including Lexar and lesser brands such as Transcend, I will only buy SanDisk.

In my XZ-1 I keep an 8gb SanDisk Extreme Pro sdhc card, a type of card that I have used in various cameras before without trouble. With speeds of up to 45mb/s it's pretty fast to use with a computer.

I do use a Lexar UDMA card reader that works very well.

Make sure you make a habit of formatting the card in camera after moving the images to the computer and after making a back up. Never delete or add files on the card using a computer.
--
Anders

'It is nice to be important but it is more important to be nice'

I was wondering if anyone has been using the SanDisk Extreme Pro sdhc card with a MacBook Pro laptop and having any troubles.

I'm asking because I will be getting a new laptop shortly and leaning towards the MBP and I have just read a post on another site where he said the following; ".....While the card is very fast when used with my Canon Rebel T2i, I have had an issue with getting my Macbook Pro (Early 2011) to read this card. This computer supports SDHC cards up to 32GB and SDXC cards up to 2TB with a direct PCIe connection...." Basically Sandisk told him to use his USB cable, but by doing this he loses all the high speed advantages that he had paid the premium for in this card.

I was wondering if other MBP users experienced the same problems or maybe this is just an isolated incident.

 No Regrets's gear list:No Regrets's gear list
Nikon Df Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
echelon2004
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,115
Like?
Re: Best memory card for XZ-1?
In reply to No Regrets, Dec 3, 2011

Mine is a mbp from october 2010, i7 processor running latest lion.

30 seconds ago I transferred 57 orf from a xz1 in a very short time using the built in sdhc card slot with no problems at all.
--
Anders

'It is nice to be important but it is more important to be nice'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
No Regrets
Contributing MemberPosts: 895Gear list
Like?
Re: Best memory card for XZ-1?
In reply to echelon2004, Dec 3, 2011

echelon2004 wrote:

Mine is a mbp from october 2010, i7 processor running latest lion.

30 seconds ago I transferred 57 orf from a xz1 in a very short time using the built in sdhc card slot with no problems at all.
--
Anders

'It is nice to be important but it is more important to be nice'

Thank you Anders for the confirmation. I'll be going out today to buy the 8gb SanDisk Extreme Pro sdhc card and the Tamrac 5689 camera bag from my local camera store.

I appreciate yours and everyone elses help!

 No Regrets's gear list:No Regrets's gear list
Nikon Df Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
No Regrets
Contributing MemberPosts: 895Gear list
Like?
Re: Best memory card for XZ-1?
In reply to No Regrets, Dec 4, 2011

No Regrets wrote:

echelon2004 wrote:

Mine is a mbp from october 2010, i7 processor running latest lion.

30 seconds ago I transferred 57 orf from a xz1 in a very short time using the built in sdhc card slot with no problems at all.
--
Anders

'It is nice to be important but it is more important to be nice'

Thank you Anders for the confirmation. I'll be going out today to buy the 8gb SanDisk Extreme Pro sdhc card and the Tamrac 5689 camera bag from my local camera store.

I appreciate yours and everyone elses help!

Well, I was able to buy the Tamrac 5689 bag from my local dealer, but they didn't carry the Sandisk memory cards. So I stopped by my local Best Buy and they had the 8gb SanDisk Extreme Pro sdhc card on sale for only $29.99, normally $50! So just a heads up for anyone looking for another card.

 No Regrets's gear list:No Regrets's gear list
Nikon Df Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
meanwhile
Contributing MemberPosts: 735Gear list
Like?
Re: Best memory card for XZ-1?
In reply to No Regrets, Dec 5, 2011

SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC card

Agreed. It's a great match for the camera and the UHS-1 speed does increase the performance times of the camera, especially if you shoot RAW (rather than RAW+JPEG).

 meanwhile's gear list:meanwhile's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads