XZ-1 vs. S95: help me decide

Started Nov 30, 2011 | Discussions
John.Laninga
Senior MemberPosts: 1,646Gear list
Like?
XZ-1 vs. S95: help me decide
Nov 30, 2011

I started a thread on the Canon Forum asking for inputs to compare S95 to XZ-1 images. I would also invite Olympus forum members to look as well (it compares Oly vs. Canon, after all). The link is:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1010&message=39966028
--
= John
http://www.flickr.com/photos/laninga/sets/

John.Laninga's gear list:John.Laninga's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm XF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ChristianHass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,698Gear list
Like?
Re: XZ-1 vs. S95: help me decide
In reply to John.Laninga, Nov 30, 2011

There's been like a ton of comparions between the two already.

Basicly it comes down to this

S95 is a lot smaller, but isn't good for zooming because of the slow lens at longer focal ranges.

XZ-1 is bigger, but has a lot more options with the faster zoom lens, the flash hot shoe, the optional EVF and so on and so on.

To get the most of the XZ-1 you need to shoot in RAW since the in-camera noise reduction is very heavy.
--
Shooting for fun and memories.

ChristianHass's gear list:ChristianHass's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John McCormack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,068Gear list
Like?
In reply to ChristianHass, Nov 30, 2011

I agree with the other posters, although I usually shoot JPGs with my XZ-1 and they are fine, IMO. The faster lens, esp. at the long end, is very nice. I rarely find it necessary to shoot at or above ISO 400 with the XZ-1

I had an S95 before the XZ-1 and I don't really miss it, except for its small size. I prefer the colors of the XZ-1 and the user interface.

If I were buying now, I'd look very hard at the new S100, but preliminary image samples don't look that much better than the S95's - and maybe a bit worse. Time will tell...

Michael919
Regular MemberPosts: 168
Like?
In reply to John McCormack, Nov 30, 2011

I responded in the Canon forum, but one thing that I didn't mention there is the following. Those that have both cameras prefer the XZ-1. There are lots of threads here where people with both cameras have stated this. I don't recall anyone with both that prefers the S95, aside from perhaps someone with pocket friendliness as their number one priority.

Kevdog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,354Gear list
Like?
In reply to Michael919, Nov 30, 2011

The only other preference would be video quality. The XZ-1 can focus hunt unless you do the "workarounds" in low light. Basically set the AF point to the center point (which greatly reduces focus hunting) or switch to MF which eliminates it.

XZ-1 video files are also double the size. We have 2 16GB cards and we can fill them up in a day while on vacation.

That said, I love our XZ-1 and we are okay with the video performance.

I have a new GF2 which will probably take over video duties.

Kevdog's gear list:Kevdog's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
justharry
Regular MemberPosts: 369Gear list
Like?
In reply to John.Laninga, Dec 1, 2011

Will add my quick observation for you. Bought, used and returned the S95 then bought the XZ-1. Of course there are far more technical arguments that can be made for each camera, but both are capable of producing excellent results and both are easy to use. If size (i.e. pocket-ability) and usable video are paramount needs for you, I would go for the S95. For me, the ability to use the VF-2 with the XZ-1 (which has not been removed from the camera since I started using it), trumps the size and video issues. The video on the XZ-1 is fair to poor and I am surprised that there has not been a firmware fix for it from Olympus, out of shame if nothing else.
Good luck, harry.

justharry's gear list:justharry's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD700 IS Canon PowerShot G9 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +2 more
Geekapoo
Contributing MemberPosts: 519Gear list
Like?
In reply to justharry, Dec 1, 2011

Sold my s95 on Monday. My XZ-1 arrives today. Was VERY impressed with the s95.....great camera....and have switched to the XZ-1 because of the benefit of a fast lens throughout the telephoto range. I do not think you can go wrong with either camera, it's more a question of which camera feels best in your hands, has the best UI and best suits your needs (I really like low light photography and for my P+S camera, the XZ-1 and Fuji x10 are the best choices IMHO with the x10 having some technical issues like WDS).

Richard

Geekapoo's gear list:Geekapoo's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
frdvdv
Regular MemberPosts: 244
Like?
In reply to John.Laninga, Dec 1, 2011

John.Laninga wrote:

I started a thread on the Canon Forum asking for inputs to compare S95 to XZ-1 images. I would also invite Olympus forum members to look as well (it compares Oly vs. Canon, after all). The link is:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1010&message=39966028
--
= John
http://www.flickr.com/photos/laninga/sets/

If you shoot a lot of portraits, you might enjoy the XZ-1 a bit more due to the F2.5 at 112m equiv.

The S95 would probably be better in pocketability and likely video.

No Regrets
Regular MemberPosts: 468
Like?
In reply to Geekapoo, Dec 1, 2011

Geekapoo wrote:

Sold my s95 on Monday. My XZ-1 arrives today. Was VERY impressed with the s95.....great camera....and have switched to the XZ-1 because of the benefit of a fast lens throughout the telephoto range. I do not think you can go wrong with either camera, it's more a question of which camera feels best in your hands, has the best UI and best suits your needs (I really like low light photography and for my P+S camera, the XZ-1 and Fuji x10 are the best choices IMHO with the x10 having some technical issues like WDS).

Richard

Please forgive my ignorance, but photography is new to me.....When you say the X10 is having some technical issues like WDS.....what does WDS mean?

I was actually trying to decide between getting the X10 and XZ-1. I ended up buying the XZ-1 and am looking forward to using it this weekend. Our first snowfall is expected to come!

Geekapoo
Like?
In reply to No Regrets, Dec 1, 2011

No Regrets wrote:

Geekapoo wrote:

Richard

Please forgive my ignorance, but photography is new to me.....When you say the X10 is having some technical issues like WDS.....what does WDS mean?

I was actually trying to decide between getting the X10 and XZ-1. I ended up buying the XZ-1 and am looking forward to using it this weekend. Our first snowfall is expected to come!

Sorry.....the trials and tribulations of typing quickly. There is much discussion of WDS over at the fuji forum. As examples, check out these links:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1012&message=39957634

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1012&thread=39961400

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1012&thread=39943443

and

http://www.flickr.com/photos/minami/6301640383/sizes/l/in/photostream/

http://forums.dpreview.com/galleries/2114993319/photos/1533055/DSCF7002

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1012&thread=39966934

Best,

Richard

No Regrets
Regular MemberPosts: 468
Like?
In reply to Geekapoo, Dec 1, 2011

Thank you for your reply and sharing the links with me. Wow, am I glad that I didn't get the X10. That would have made me sick to my stomach to pay that amount of money for a camera that did that.

I realize that there is no perfect camera, especially at these price points, but I think for what I paid, the XZ-1 will make my wife and I very pleased.

Thank you for your help.

Geekapoo
Like?
In reply to No Regrets, Dec 1, 2011

No problem. I feel the same way (my new XZ-1 was delivered today....cannot wait to get home and play with it).

The funny (actually, sad) thing is that there are a few folks over at the Fuji forum who have the camera and WDS does not bother them because either

1) they have not seen the problem (so far)

2) they don't think they use the camera in such a way that it is or will be an issue

3) do not believe there is an issue

4) think Fuji will fix it (some think quickly, some hope for before the end of next year)

YOWZER!

Richard

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads