Nex3 + Dicapac + Red Sea

Started Nov 29, 2011 | Discussions
pleasure
Regular MemberPosts: 163
Like?
Nex3 + Dicapac + Red Sea
Nov 29, 2011

A few pics taken snorkeling.

The dicapac H10 worked perfectly & takes either the 16 or 18-55 without vignetting.
These are all with the 16mm.

The water had lots of debris in it & in Novemeber the sun is pretty low which didn't help the sharpness.

All put through lightroom, lens correction, cropping & auto WB + the usual tweak.

Sony Alpha NEX-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Peter Nelson
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,890
Like?
Re: Nex3 + Dicapac + Red Sea
In reply to pleasure, Nov 30, 2011

Nice colors.
--
Life as an artist has had some unusual times to say the least.
visit my web site http://www.flickr.com/photos/artist_eyes/
Remember to click on 'All Sizes' for better viewing.
Artist Eyes

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,785
Like?

Very nice - looks like a great place for snorkeling.

• Dennis

-- hide signature --
geminihc
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?

nice pics! i LOVE snorkeling and i've always wanted to take some awesome pics with my nex5.. but way way too nervous about the camera dying, not because of leaking but because of:

-moisture from humidity + ocean salt = corrosion (it may not affect it right away, but it is a cumulative process over the years)

-sun shining UV onto sealed bag = created heat in the bag and may cause battery to overheat and do lots of bad things.

i've had a dicapac before and it killed my $200 compact camera.. which will very very make me not risk my nex5 with it... i opened up the compact camera that died and i saw alot of greenish corrosion on the PCBs (on the coppers), also i recall the camera being very hot as it was floating on my bad while i was snorkeling, so the sun was shining onto it for a very long time.

however, i really envy you that you were able to take it down there and take these beautiful pictures. curious, how did the sweep panorama photo work underwater..? i know that underwater, your focal length becomes more narrow, so your 16mm pics almost look like 35mm. i think either the panorama mode or the UWA adapter might show underwater very well.

kev777zero
Senior MemberPosts: 1,476Gear list
Like?
In reply to geminihc, Nov 30, 2011

geminihc wrote:

nice pics! i LOVE snorkeling and i've always wanted to take some awesome pics with my nex5.. but way way too nervous about the camera dying, not because of leaking but because of:

-moisture from humidity + ocean salt = corrosion (it may not affect it right away, but it is a cumulative process over the years)

-sun shining UV onto sealed bag = created heat in the bag and may cause battery to overheat and do lots of bad things.

i've had a dicapac before and it killed my $200 compact camera.. which will very very make me not risk my nex5 with it... i opened up the compact camera that died and i saw alot of greenish corrosion on the PCBs (on the coppers), also i recall the camera being very hot as it was floating on my bad while i was snorkeling, so the sun was shining onto it for a very long time.

however, i really envy you that you were able to take it down there and take these beautiful pictures. curious, how did the sweep panorama photo work underwater..? i know that underwater, your focal length becomes more narrow, so your 16mm pics almost look like 35mm. i think either the panorama mode or the UWA adapter might show underwater very well.

an underwater panorama...now that's sick!
--

http://www.wix.com/drkevinlyu/photography

kev777zero's gear list:kev777zero's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N NEX5R Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
pleasure
Regular MemberPosts: 163
Like?
In reply to geminihc, Nov 30, 2011

I understand your warning & underwritting the risk was the fact I would "have" to get a 5n if I killed it Sadly it came through unscathed.....

I loaded the camera in the room & kept it in a bag at the beach & never out of the water when using it. I never noticed it feeling hot.

I unloaded it in the room after a shower & pat down to clear the salt.

I wish I had though of a panorama - that would have been very interesting....both for the camera & anyone watching me swimming in circles

I found the contol wheel almost unusable in the bag so I set it in AP at 7.1 (seemed a good idea at the time) so gettin to panorama mode would have been difficult.

I did think about the UWA & the 18-55 but I got stuck on teh 16 somehow - maybe again thinking the most disposable solution if it got wet.

I am back out there in May so maybe I will be more adventurous & the sun wil be higher which will help.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

jazzroy1972
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?

nice to know that somebody tried it.. i was tempted in buying one!

how much deep did you go?

have you seen this incredibly cheap water housing?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40M-Waterproof-Underwater-Camera-Case-Sony-NEX-5-W-16mm-F2-8-Lens-Camera-/260903959948?pt=US_Camera_Underwater_Housings&hash=item3cbf167d8c#ht_4558wt_1141

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads