Canon 7d built in flash will not pop up...any help?

Started Nov 29, 2011 | Discussions
veeco5150
Regular MemberPosts: 327
Like?
Canon 7d built in flash will not pop up...any help?
Nov 29, 2011

Hi,

Has anyone had this problem? I have a canon 7d which has been working just perfectly and has not had any accidents as far as I know.

I am not out shooting in Asia for a few months and the built in flash will not pop up. I have external flashes, but it is so helpful when I go out at night to keep the external at home and use the simple built in flash.
When I push the pop-up flash button, nothing happens.

When I go to flash control menu and try to use that, a message pops up saying "this menu cannot be displayed. External flash is attached."

It seems from this it may be more of a software issue and maybe it thinks something is attached to the hot-shoe?

Any thoughts?
cheers,
Micah

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sidekicker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,480Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 7d built in flash will not pop up...any help?
In reply to veeco5150, Nov 29, 2011

There is a sensor that reports the presence of an external flash. The sensor works off a pin under one side of the hotshoe. It sounds like the hotshoe contact is stuck in the down (external flash present) position. With the camera off, carefully lift the contacts to free the pin.

With the camera facing away from you, it should be under the right contact.

If that does not work, buy another 7D...

Sidekicker's gear list:Sidekicker's gear list
Canon PowerShot A620 Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sidekicker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,480Gear list
Like?
In reply to veeco5150, Nov 29, 2011

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=39643256&q=flash+pin&qf=m

The above posting from a previous thread regarding a similar problem provides an image.

Sidekicker's gear list:Sidekicker's gear list
Canon PowerShot A620 Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +3 more
hoohaaa
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
In reply to Sidekicker, Nov 29, 2011

I had this problem a few days ago. I think the contact is on the other side of the hot shoe from the image referred to above. It's on the right hand side when viewed from the back of the camera. I think I'd just got a bit of mud on the contact and having cleaned it it was fine.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8905662@N05/

vlab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,435Gear list
Like?
In reply to hoohaaa, Nov 29, 2011

Yes it's correct, it is on the right side when VF towards you. I had this issue with 60D.
--

vlab's gear list:vlab's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Retsurf
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to vlab, Dec 29, 2012

I just experienced this with my Canon 60d.  I turned the camera off, faced the camera and lens away from me, and gently lifted the right side fastener/clip under the hot shoe with  a fingernail.  I then got a can of air and spray cleaned the entire hot shoe.  This corrected the problem.

AndyTW
Regular MemberPosts: 129
Like?
In reply to Retsurf, Dec 29, 2012

I have the same problem, have tried bend point of pin, pushing into hole where contact pops up, I did not have any luck, also tried a little WD40 also no luck, short of sending camera back to Canon I bought a Canon 580 EX2 flash now all is well, although I think Canon should consider improving this contact position.  Andrew.

billyesco
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to veeco5150, Jul 7, 2013

It is the small switch under the hot shoe causes the problem. Try to press up & down few times, will be fine.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads