A35 or A55

Started Nov 28, 2011 | Discussions
theoldfella
Regular MemberPosts: 125
Like?
A35 or A55
Nov 28, 2011

The used A55 I bought last week had to go back as it was faulty so I'm now faced with a new dilemma.

I'm put off buying used again so do I try and source a new A55 (no dealers locally in the UK seem have them in stock) even though it's an older model or do I go for the new A35. I can't justify the A65 (or really afford it!) as I'd rather buy an all round lens to go with the body (eg 18-200 - BTW, anyone use the Tamron version, it seems too cheap to me to possibly be any good but reviews seem ok).

I would probably miss the articulating screen that I have on my current panny G2 but apart from that the 35 and 55 seem almost identical.

Any thoughts would be welcome to help my decision..... Thanks

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Sony SLT-A35 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A65
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jamo spingal
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
Re: A35 or A55
In reply to theoldfella, Nov 28, 2011

If you want the latest image sensor, longer battery life and the ability to take video up to the camcorder duty threshold (28 mins) then choose the A35. If you want the articulated screen choose the A55.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,458
Like?

Like the poster before me said, if long videos (> 10 mins) and a bit longer battery life are important to you, go for the A35. If not, I would go for the A55 for the articulating screen, level indicator and slightly better high ISO performance.

JeffS7444
Regular MemberPosts: 280
Like?

A55 also has electronic level display and GPS, and it can be remote-controlled using Sony's IR remote. I could have gone either way, but wound up buying the A35.

Denis247
Senior MemberPosts: 1,269Gear list
Like?

Not local but Big Norman has them

http://www.bignorman.com/search.asp

theoldfella wrote:

The used A55 I bought last week had to go back as it was faulty so I'm now faced with a new dilemma.

I'm put off buying used again so do I try and source a new A55 (no dealers locally in the UK seem have them in stock) even though it's an older model or do I go for the new A35. I can't justify the A65 (or really afford it!) as I'd rather buy an all round lens to go with the body (eg 18-200 - BTW, anyone use the Tamron version, it seems too cheap to me to possibly be any good but reviews seem ok).

I would probably miss the articulating screen that I have on my current panny G2 but apart from that the 35 and 55 seem almost identical.

Any thoughts would be welcome to help my decision..... Thanks

Denis247's gear list:Denis247's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony a77 II Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +2 more
Alpha2Alpha
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
In reply to theoldfella, Dec 1, 2011

I'd say just go for the A35, if you can live with the fixed LCD.

theoldfella
Regular MemberPosts: 125
Like?
In reply to Alpha2Alpha, Dec 4, 2011

Off to try and buy the camera tomorrow, currently leaning towards the A55 but will try the A35 out too.

But I'm hoping to get an all round lens at the same time. Funds are limited though - anybody used the tamron 18-200 (seems older but gets ok reviews) or should I simply put my money aside and just wait until I can get the 18-270?

I can't help thinking I could get the 18-200 plus the 35mm 1.8 for quite a bit less than I'd be spending on the 18-270, but am I just being too impetuous.

Buy in haste, repent at leisure? Advice please!

alexcam
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
In reply to theoldfella, Dec 6, 2011

I have the a55 and as said in a previous post (If the a35 cannot use the remote the a55 uses) I would not even consider the a35 at all. I have used the remote a lot and find it really useful.

About the lens I have the new tamron 18-270 and I am quite happy with it but find it soft sometimes on the long range, so I am thinking of getting the 70-300 G and the 35 f1.8 as well.

But I like the over all usability of the tamron its weights and size, and at some focal lengths and f stops it is also sharp. After 5 months and 6000 shots it starts to creep but I keep it locked most of the time while it hangs from my neck. It is useless to say that it is better than the kit lens and that if you have plans for a lens it is better not to buy it at all.
--
Alex

meanwhile
Contributing MemberPosts: 720Gear list
Like?
In reply to alexcam, Dec 6, 2011

[edit] One site says that the A35 can be used with the Sony RMT-DSLR1 remote, but the Sony site itself doesn't list it. It lists the RM-S1AM and RM-L1AM as being compatible.

meanwhile's gear list:meanwhile's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN +7 more
alexcam
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
In reply to meanwhile, Dec 6, 2011

meanwhile wrote:

The A35 can be used with the Sony RMT-DSLR1 remote.

I thought so but was too lazy to check it out
--
Alex

meanwhile
Contributing MemberPosts: 720Gear list
Like?
In reply to alexcam, Dec 6, 2011

I thought so but was too lazy to check it out

I may actually have been wrong. I think the first site may have copied and pasted from the A33 specs in their A35 writeup. Imaging Resource does list that it's wireless remote compatible, but that's as specific as it gets.

meanwhile's gear list:meanwhile's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN +7 more
rfielder
Regular MemberPosts: 480Gear list
Like?
In reply to meanwhile, Dec 6, 2011

I have found the articulating screen on my A55 extremely useful - far more than I would have expected. Would not consider another camera without.

The GPS is good once in a while.

Batteries from the far east are cheap, and all the ones I have are reliable. I carry three, but have never needed more than two for a day except when one of them was not fully charged (forgot! DUH!!!)

The Tamron 18-270mm I have can be a little soft at longer lengths, but if you can throw the background out of focus, either through aperture or post processing, it makes the subject look sharp. I have a few where this worked well enough to really make the lens look good - we are very happy with ours.

-- hide signature --

Robert Fielder
Brampton, ON, Canada

rfielder's gear list:rfielder's gear list
Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II PZD Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads