A77 and 3rd party battery. Help!

Started Nov 27, 2011 | Discussions
MarSal
Contributing MemberPosts: 611Gear list
Like?
A77 and 3rd party battery. Help!
Nov 27, 2011

Please consider this as request for help as well word of caution.

I was an early adopter and puchased my A77 kit (SAL1650) 4 weeks ago. Tomorrow morning heading to Rome and as preparation I have purchased two extra batteries, one original Sony and one Hähnel HL-XM500 along with Hähnel PowerStation Twin V Pro, which can charge two batteries independently.

Just a moment ago I faced totally unexpected proplem: I can't get this Hähnel battery out of A77. Originals are come out smoothly, but not this one. My nightmare is now am I bound to survive my Roman holiday with one battery only. My previous experience with R1 and battery life by my style of shooting asks for spares.

I wonder if anyone have faced similar (physical) problem, myself never with my R1 either.

EDIT: After all I managed to get out the battery. Tested with the original, and once again: Sony pops out easily .

-- hide signature --
 MarSal's gear list:MarSal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a6000 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +1 more
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
alchall
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?
Re: A77 and 3rd party battery. Help!
In reply to MarSal, Nov 27, 2011

I bought the same Hahnel battery and had exactly the same issue as you so have sent it back. I also found it only charged up to 70%.

It's a shame because I've used Hahnel batteries before and found them to be just as good as the Sony batteries only half the price.

alchall's gear list:alchall's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MarSal
Like?
In reply to alchall, Nov 27, 2011

I remember having read about this charging level issue before I charged my second Sony and this Hähnel, so after simultaneous charging on the Twin V Pro I checked both on A77 and it did not display any difference on level. Unfortunately i put in first Sony and then Hähnel. Otherway round and I had noticed this problem in time before my trip (for possible return).

A closer look at these two batteries on their bottom shows that on Sony the contacts are closed while Hähnel has open slots on all the three. If one looks inside the battery chamber of A77 there are two flat contact(sensor?) areas on bottom, next to the coil spring. Makes me worder their function...

-- hide signature --
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a6000 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +1 more
Kilrah
Senior MemberPosts: 2,564Gear list
Like?
In reply to MarSal, Nov 27, 2011

MarSal wrote:

If one looks inside the battery chamber of A77 there are two flat contact(sensor?) areas on bottom, next to the coil spring. Makes me worder their function...

Vertical grip contacts.

Kilrah's gear list:Kilrah's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +2 more
MarSal
Like?
In reply to Kilrah, Nov 27, 2011

Thanks for explanation.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads