FZ150 Problems (FZ150 owners, please read)

Started Nov 26, 2011 | Discussions
NEOidea
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?
FZ150 Problems (FZ150 owners, please read)
Nov 26, 2011

My FZ150 is great, it's an awesome camera- I have no complaints- except for 2 with video:

1. At a low ISO (under 800), sometimes dark colors look ugly if there is not much light in the area. I have a feeling this probably happens on all.

2. When recording any video (using both my Transcend 16GB class10 memory card and the internal memory) using all the different kinds of settings, the video cuts off in playback about a second before I pressed the shutter button.

I talked to panasonic about the second one, and they said my camera might need to be sent to them to look at it. I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem, if this wasn't just my model. (If you don't know, could you check?) It would be a great help if you let me know if you are having this problem too.

Thanks.

NEOidea's gear list:NEOidea's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bugbait
Contributing MemberPosts: 930Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ150 Problems (FZ150 owners, please read)
In reply to NEOidea, Nov 26, 2011

Hello NEOidea,

I have recorded in all modes and played back as well as uploaded to YouTube. I have never had a playback halt.

Your first question could be understood as quality is bad or that there is shadows in the corners meaning miss aliened lenses, so that was confusing. The second question was phrased as to be contradicting.

(....video cuts off in playback about a second before I pressed the shutter button.)

Pressing the shutter button during playback would stop the video.

This is likely why you hadn't gotten replays yet.

Anyhow, if the video stops prematurely on the camera, you have a warrenty problem. If it stutters some on your computer and it is recorded in AVCHD PSH = 1080 60p; then you PC as well as support for the new codec is likely the problem. I record in AVCHD FSH for now.

If playback stops entirely during playback, the camera is likely messed up. I would be tempted to buy another SD card as an extra never hurts anything and you can use it later and now just to make sure that is not the problem.

Always format a new card in camera at least once before you depend on it. Its in the tools (Wrench Icon.) menu.

From what you have said it does sound like you need to send it in. If you have a free return policy that can be exorcised I would likely do that instead and just buy another unit.

BugBait

bugbait's gear list:bugbait's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Setter Dog
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,607
Like?
In reply to bugbait, Nov 26, 2011

I've tried all the video modes and haven't had any problems whatsoever. In fact, the sound, the AF, the image quality,.....all of it excellent in the FZ150.

NEOidea
Like?
In reply to Setter Dog, Nov 27, 2011

Ok. I'm most likely to send it in after the holidays.

Sorry the question was confusing.

Here's what happens. I'll record myself talking. Right after I finish, I press the shutter button to stop the video. I'll play back the video on both the camera and the computer and the video will cut off about a second before I pressed the shutter button (deleting a little bit of the video).

It sounds like my camera has some small problems, so I'll send it back in January or something to get fixed.

Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,164Gear list
Like?
Sounds normal to me.
In reply to NEOidea, Nov 27, 2011

NEOidea wrote:

Ok. I'm most likely to send it in after the holidays.

Sorry the question was confusing.

Here's what happens. I'll record myself talking. Right after I finish, I press the shutter button to stop the video. I'll play back the video on both the camera and the computer and the video will cut off about a second before I pressed the shutter button (deleting a little bit of the video).

It sounds like my camera has some small problems, so I'll send it back in January or something to get fixed.

I think that you will find it normal for Panasonic video. My LX3 does the same thing, to always catch the end of what I'm trying to record, then I need to wait a second or so past where I think I need to stop and then press the shutter to stop the video. No camera problem, but user re-education seems to be needed.

Also a another LX3/Panasonic quirk, hold the shutter button too long when starting the video and the audio is blanked for a little while.

Regards........... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
nemesix
Contributing MemberPosts: 956Gear list
Like?
Re: Sounds normal to me.
In reply to Guy Parsons, Nov 27, 2011

I can confirm the FZ150 stops the video earlier than you might expect and that the solution of just letting it go longer is all you can do.

The feature for taking still during video works well though, the still captures are pretty good (the same resolution as the video) considering you don't notice any difference in the video when you do it.

nemesix's gear list:nemesix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix A303 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +2 more
Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,900Gear list
Like?
In reply to Guy Parsons, Nov 27, 2011

Thanks, Guy, good points. I haven't tried the video on my FZ150 yet, but I'll try this method. I am a complete video newbie, so I need to read the manual, which is being printed out.
--

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
(A.A. Milne)

Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
NEOidea
Like?
In reply to Vandyu, Nov 27, 2011

Ok- that changes my mind then. Thank you for letting me know. I won't be sending it back in then. I don't mind letting it run for just a little longer.

The whole dark thing is something that I think is perfectly normal (probably because of the ISO being two low and the sensor being too small). It's really hard to explain, you just need good lighting. It doesn't affect pictures.

NEOidea
Like?

Also- I have no problem with the audio blanking when I hold the shutter button too long- so- I guess at least that's good.

bugbait
Like?

Good deal for you. Glad you are squared away. I wasn't aware of these quirks. But I almost always use a wireless remote when shooting video.

http://www.amazon.com/Studiohut-WIRELESS-Control-Panasonic-compatible/dp/B003WUMY86/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1322392934&sr=8-4

Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +1 more
Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 14,950
Like?

NEOidea wrote:

Ok- that changes my mind then. Thank you for letting me know. I won't be sending it back in then.

Your experience underscores how dangerously worthless the Panasonic Technical Support kids (and their supervisors) can be. With little/or no actual knowledge about the cameras (little or no more than the idiot-level Operating Instructions), they tend to conceal their own ignorance of actual Lumix camera model operation by deferring to the advice that you should send it to the single US Repair/Exchange Center (in McAllen,Texas). Always (as you did) seek other opinions ...

You would have had to pay shipping/insurance to transport it there, then dealt with their dubious and idiotic system (and the helpless reps at the toll-call McAllen phone number), and waited who knows how long for it to be looked at. Then, after they did (presumably nothing to it), they would have insisted on shipping it back to you via the slow and brutal UPS Surface (my LX3 had 7 individual stops along the way where it was unloaded/loaded at each location in 7 calendar days). It's really "SNAFU" when the Technical Support personnel know (and care) little about the cameras

bugbait
Like?
In reply to Detail Man, Nov 27, 2011

Agreed Detail Man.

After my one pre-purchase call to them I knew if I was to buy a three year drop-spill warranty, it would be through SquareTrade and not Panasonics less expensive extended warranty offering.

I kid you not, the guy I talked to, didn't know what an SD card was let alone the new UHS-1 spec was. Plus the guy spoke american English, southern accent and all. They could at least give these guys a five year old model so they would at least be able to take some pictures.

Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,164Gear list
Like?
Call centres...
In reply to bugbait, Nov 27, 2011

bugbait wrote:

I kid you not, the guy I talked to, didn't know what an SD card was let alone the new UHS-1 spec was. Plus the guy spoke american English, southern accent and all. They could at least give these guys a five year old model so they would at least be able to take some pictures.

Most times I guess you get connected to some general purpose call centre and the guys handle insurance queries, vacuum cleaner problems, camera problems, you name it. All they can do is work from the prompt screens they have in front of them and if your question falls outside what they can find or can see on the screen then you are not going to get very far.

At least you seem to have had a local to US person, here in Australia we usually get connected to India or the Philipines. Often they try and add some local style conversation but it very soon falls apart. I usually directly ask them "where are you?" and often there's a moment's hesitation, but they seem to always answer honestly. Last one was my query to my very Australian ISP was being answered in South Africa - but thankfully they did know what they were talking about and could fix my problem.

Regards.......... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Guimar
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
In reply to NEOidea, Nov 28, 2011

The only video problem I have had is with very dark Video in indoor light,
and a Tendency to focus on a horses tail as though it were a face.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads