Samyang 8mm Fish-eye calibration

Started Nov 25, 2011 | Discussions
Edward Sargent
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,158Gear list
Like?
Samyang 8mm Fish-eye calibration
Nov 25, 2011

If you don't have liveview adjusting the focus ring on the Samyang is impossible, in fact Ken Rockwell's glowing review of this lens "Forget trying to focus through the finder. Depth of field is so great that the most effective way to focus is to guess the distance, set it on the lens, and then leave it alone" Well the first few months with the lens I only had a KN&D and a A700 so liveview was a pipe dream.

When I got the A77 last month I finally got around to adjusting the focus ring following Glenn's instructions http://www.focusonnewfoundland.com/section488880.html and realized after I did it there is an easier way to adjust the focus ring that works for all cameras live-view or not.
1. Rollback the rubber focus ring on itself front to back.

2. Rotate the focus ring counter clockwise (as you look down the barrel back to front) to the stops.

3. Loosen the three slotted screws thee turns (loosen too much and they fall out). Leave the Phillips screw alone.

4. Rotate the focus ring so the infinity mark is aligned with the focus mark (also the line indicating aperture setting).

5. Tighten one screw and reverify the focus mechanism did not move off the the stops if it did loosen and re-adjust.
6. Tighten all the screws and unroll the rubber cover.

-- hide signature --

Sarge

A77, A700 8mm Bower, 50mm 1.7, 35-70 F4, 90mm Tamron, 18-250 Sigma & 50-500 Bigma
Fisheye photos at http://sony-snapper.com/Fish-Eye/index.html
Toy - Asus Transformer Android 3.2.1 tablet
Albums at http://www.sony-snapper.com

Edward Sargent's gear list:Edward Sargent's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H9 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 +28 more
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
seilerbird666
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101
Like?
Re: Samyang 8mm Fish-eye calibration
In reply to Edward Sargent, Nov 25, 2011

This makes no sense to me. I set my focus to 3 feet and leave it alone and everything in my photos are in focus. What could be easier?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Paul Richman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,917Gear list
Like?
That's good to hear, as mine arrives this am....
In reply to seilerbird666, Nov 25, 2011

... Did you have to micro-adjust focus on yours. Everyone seems to say that's needed.

seilerbird666 wrote:

This makes no sense to me. I set my focus to 3 feet and leave it alone and everything in my photos are in focus. What could be easier?

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

Paul Richman's gear list:Paul Richman's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +9 more
seilerbird666
Like?
Re: That's good to hear, as mine arrives this am....
In reply to Paul Richman, Nov 25, 2011

Paul Richman wrote:

... Did you have to micro-adjust focus on yours. Everyone seems to say that's needed.

I have owned this lens for 6 months and read everything I could find about it and I have never heard even one person claim that micro-adjust would be needed. Micro-adjust for the focus would be redundant. Like I said I set it at 3 feet and just about everything in the photo is in focus. I don't even think it would be possible to micro-adjust the focus. You really can't focus on one thing and have every thing else out of focus with this lens.

Paul Richman
Like?

Here's a link to an article about the focus adjustment being needed. It's from an active member here, whose work convinced me to buy this lens:
http://www.focusonnewfoundland.com/section488880.html
Here's a brief excerpt:

"I have been reading that many people have noticed that the focus seems off with this lens, so I performed some tests of my own, and was able to confirm that mine too was out of adjustment by quite a bit. Even though this lens is very forgiving, (all of my samples appear to be very sharp) I discovered that when looking at images at 100%, mine were off by a large margin! At a distance of exactly 10 feet, for the sharpest results, my distance ring had to be set at 1.2 feet! (when I had the ring set to 10 feet, the picture was noticeably out of focus) Anyway, I was able to re-calibrate the lens in just a couple of minutes. Here is how to accomplish the task:"

seilerbird666 wrote:

Paul Richman wrote:

I have owned this lens for 6 months and read everything I could find about it and I have never heard even one person claim that micro-adjust would be needed. Micro-adjust for the focus would be redundant. Like I said I set it at 3 feet and just about everything in the photo is in focus. I don't even think it would be possible to micro-adjust the focus. You really can't focus on one thing and have every thing else out of focus with this lens.

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

Nikon D800E Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +9 more
seilerbird666
Like?

The focus certainly isn't off on my copy and I have not read one complaint on this forum or on Dyxxum about focus problems. I think the guy got a lemon. I would have sent it back if the focus was that far off.

George Evans
Senior MemberPosts: 1,584
Like?

The focus on mine was way out and I corrected it using Glen's method. I found that with the distance set at 3 feet it was actually at infinity and the foreground wasn't sharp so I used an A3 print at 10 feet, peeled back the rubber focus band, loosened off the three screws and took some test shots at different focal distances until the image was sharp. I then turned the focus scale to 10 feet and tightened up the screws again. Now set to 3 feet the image is sharp from front to back.

George Evans
http://www.wirralpix.com
http://wirralpix.blogspot.com/

Paul Richman
Like?
Fascinating thread.... anyone else?
In reply to George Evans, Nov 25, 2011

George Evans wrote:

The focus on mine was way out and I corrected it using Glen's method. I found that with the distance set at 3 feet it was actually at infinity and the foreground wasn't sharp so I used an A3 print at 10 feet, peeled back the rubber focus band, loosened off the three screws and took some test shots at different focal distances until the image was sharp. I then turned the focus scale to 10 feet and tightened up the screws again. Now set to 3 feet the image is sharp from front to back.

George Evans
http://www.wirralpix.com
http://wirralpix.blogspot.com/

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

Paul Richman
Like?
New Samyang with IC chip....

Just read on DPReview that Samyang is introducing a chipped version for Nikon mount. Perhaps the Sony mount will follow? Perhaps I should wait for that one?
--
Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

camperbc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,014
Like?
I am "The Guy"...

No seilerbird666, "the guy" did not get a lemon, so why on earth would I have "sent it back"? If you have been actively following this forum since last February you would know that MANY of the members who purchased this lens performed this necessary recalibration, and reported vastly improved results. As I had noted in my article, I too had assumed that my images were sharp as they were... until I did my own testing, and discovered otherwise.

But if you are happy with the way your lens is performing right out of the box, then that is all that matters, and you can disregard this entire discussion.

Glen
http://www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fogoislanders/

beespeckled
Senior MemberPosts: 2,042Gear list
Like?
thanks for the timely post
In reply to Edward Sargent, Nov 25, 2011

The Rokinon I ordered the other day is expected by Monday. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it will not need this adjustment but I'm bookmarking this thread all the same. Great info.--

beespeckled's gear list:beespeckled's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Sony SLT-A77 Kodak EasyShare P850 Samsung AQ100 +10 more
Paul Richman
Like?
Sending it back...
In reply to beespeckled, Nov 25, 2011

... I got my 8mm Rokinon today. Seems nice. Put it on my A77 and the camera says it's not designed for this camera, but that I can use settings to make it work. Further, I cannot expand the LCD image to see what focus looks like. This feature just doesn't work with the Rokinon. Then there's the focus correction issue.

So, I'm sending it back to B&H and waiting for the CPU version for Sony....
--
Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

beespeckled
Senior MemberPosts: 2,042Gear list
Like?
Release without lens setting?

If I'm understanding correctly, this Rokinon/Samyang is manual focus only so the Release w/o lens menu setting might be correct setting to use? This is the setting I use when playing with my old MD Minolta lenses w/adapter on my a33.

Am keeping my fingers crossed that all will be well when mine arrives

beespeckled's gear list:beespeckled's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Sony SLT-A77 Kodak EasyShare P850 Samsung AQ100 +10 more
seilerbird666
Like?
Re: I am "The Guy"...
In reply to camperbc, Nov 25, 2011

I have been following this forum for years and I can't remember anyone ever complaining about a focus issue with this lens. If I bought a new lens that focused as bad as yours did I would consider it a lemon and it would go right back.

seilerbird666
Like?
Re: Release without lens setting?
In reply to beespeckled, Nov 25, 2011

To use this lens you must go into the menu and choose the Release without lens setting. Set your camera to manual focus. Set it to either M or A mode. It will work on your camera. It is a manual lens and the camera needs to be adjusted accordingly.

The chipped version will probably be at least twice the price.

Yemble
Senior MemberPosts: 1,987
Like?
Re: Sending it back...

Paul Richman wrote:

... I got my 8mm Rokinon today. Seems nice. Put it on my A77 and the camera says it's not designed for this camera, but that I can use settings to make it work. Further, I cannot expand the LCD image to see what focus looks like. This feature just doesn't work with the Rokinon. Then there's the focus correction issue.

--

This lens works perfectly with the A77 and manual focus peaking makes it a breeze to use... why are you sending it back? Having AF on this lens is of no particular advantage, especially if it costs you extra.

alchall
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?
In reply to camperbc, Nov 25, 2011

I bought this lens back in the summer having been inspired by your threads Glen. I remembered reading about this issue and the first thing I did when it arrived was test it out. Mine was out quite a lot but the fix was easy and with some practice I'm getting some great shots using it!

alchall's gear list:alchall's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +1 more
Paul Richman
Like?
In reply to Yemble, Nov 25, 2011

I would prefer getting EXIF data, and I would like to be able to use the focus zoom feature for near foreground subjects. I would also prefer not having to go into the menu to select "shoot without lens" although I guess I'd just have to do this once, so that's the least of my issues. And hopefully, a chipped version for Sony will not require a focus adjustment. Make sense?

Yemble wrote:

Paul Richman wrote:

--

This lens works perfectly with the A77 and manual focus peaking makes it a breeze to use... why are you sending it back? Having AF on this lens is of no particular advantage, especially if it costs you extra.

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

camperbc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,014
Like?

seilerbird666 wrote:

I have been following this forum for years and I can't remember anyone ever complaining about a focus issue with this lens. If I bought a new lens that focused as bad as yours did I would consider it a lemon and it would go right back.

Sheesh seilerbird666, you're just not getting it. There is nothing wrong with my lens; it's the very same lens as yours. Only difference is that, like you, I thought mine was sharp... UNTIL I tested it in detail (after reading countless stories about how it can be vastly improved with a quick and simple procedure) and discovered otherwise. Had I not tested it, I'm sure I would still be quite happy with the results from it. Just as you are.

But there is really no need to scoff simply because I made a good thing better. Many of our forum brethren have performed this procedure with much improved results; do you really believe they are ALL mistaken, or that they ALL have "lemons"?

Glen
http://www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fogoislanders/

Yemble
Senior MemberPosts: 1,987
Like?

Paul Richman wrote:

I would prefer getting EXIF data, and I would like to be able to use the focus zoom feature for near foreground subjects. I would also prefer not having to go into the menu to select "shoot without lens" although I guess I'd just have to do this once, so that's the least of my issues. And hopefully, a chipped version for Sony will not require a focus adjustment. Make sense?

No, not really, especially having owned and used this lens for many months
However, it's your cash not mine.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads