My new 135mm f/1.2 ... well sort of

Started Nov 24, 2011 | Discussions
Johannes Zander
Regular MemberPosts: 190Gear list
Like?
My new 135mm f/1.2 ... well sort of
Nov 24, 2011

Just received my all mechanical adapter for my V1. So I made a quick walk to the Christmas Market.

The 58mm Noct is very difficult to focus. Nikon should enable magnifying, auto ISO. And a way to disable preview.

Here are some results, unaltered JPG, auto WB, on some the exposure is off.

This is the setup:

Johannes Zander's gear list:Johannes Zander's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +8 more
Nikon 1 V1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JP Scherrer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,024
Like?
WTH is that "Keep-On" thing ?
In reply to Johannes Zander, Nov 24, 2011

...sorry, I couldn't avoid it !

I'm afraid I prefer to wait until the REAL Nikon FT-1 gets out of Nikon production chain !

J-P.

Photo Galeries at http://www.pbase.com/scherrer
Spherical Panoramas (360x180 degrees) at http://www.360cities.net/profile/jps
Equipment list in profile

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Johannes Zander
Like?
Re: WTH is that "Keep-On" thing ?
In reply to JP Scherrer, Nov 24, 2011

Preordered the FT-1 also.

Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +8 more
nboyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,988Gear list
Like?
Re: My new 135mm f/1.2 ... well sort of

Johannes - Thanks for posting these, I've been very curious to get one of these adapters to use with my Voigtlander 58/1.4. Were your shots at wide open apertures? You've confirmed my suspicion about the difficulties of manually focusing without the added help of magnified view or peaking. I may have to reconsider my purchase plan for the FT1. Cheers. -Norm

nboyer's gear list:nboyer's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix A Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica M8.2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
Seedeich
Contributing MemberPosts: 889
Like?

Interesting set up.

How do you use it? Focus with open aperture and then close the aperture, meter and shoot? There is obviously no mechanical communication between lens and body.

I wonder if focussing would be easier on the LCD with the help of a Hoodman loupe.
--
Seedeich on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/seedeich/tags/v1/

JasonED
Contributing MemberPosts: 791
Like?
In reply to Johannes Zander, Nov 25, 2011

Thanks for posting these.

One of my concerns about the use of older lenses on the Nikon 1 was the level of purple fringing that could occur. These confirm it a little but also confirm that it can be processed out ok - I did a quick test on one of your JPGs and it managed to clean up quite well.
Had you done any amount of CA removal prior to posting these?
--
The sky is blue and there is nothing we can do..

HeavyDuty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,120
Like?
In reply to Johannes Zander, Nov 25, 2011

Johannes Zander wrote:

The 58mm Noct is very difficult to focus. Nikon should enable magnifying, auto ISO. And a way to disable preview.

What happens if you put the camera in MF and attempt to focus using the dial? Does it magnify as if a supported lens were attached, or does it ignore the input?
--
Ken in Illinois
http://www.pbase.com/kjford

Johannes Zander
Like?
Trying to answer the questions
In reply to HeavyDuty, Nov 25, 2011

Thanks to the above posters.

I did not alter the JPGs at all. I uploaded them straight from the card and then DPR did some processing and resizing. And no CA removel done by me.

I shot the lens wide open at 1.2.

I dont know if a LCD lupe will be helpfull, but could well be. I want Nikon to make the magnifier also available for dumb and pure machanical adapters.

While shooting with this setup I found it very distracting that the review of the just shot picture comes right up. There should also be an option to disable that.

You can only shoot in MF and if you operate the dial nothing happens, no magnification.

I hope that with the FT-1 there is the magnifier available for AI-S lenses also.

Anyway having fun with the camera and wish you the same.

marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
In reply to Seedeich, Nov 25, 2011

Seedeich wrote:

I wonder if focussing would be easier on the LCD with the help of a Hoodman loupe.

It depends on the strength of the loupe. But I have a Zacuto Z-Finder (2.5 X) on my 5D Mk II and for critical focus you still need to use the magnification button.

This is unfortunate for us J1/V1 owners who were hoping to use the great manual lenses with their Nikon 1 cameras. Don't know who the dedicated Nikon 1 adapter will work though.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Poweruser
Regular MemberPosts: 391Gear list
Like?
Poor performance
In reply to Johannes Zander, Nov 27, 2011

This is what happens when you use a 40 year old lens designed for 35mm film on a modern, small sensor compact. It sucks.

The Big One
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,361Gear list
Like?
Re: Poor performance
In reply to Poweruser, Nov 29, 2011

Poweruser wrote:

This is what happens when you use a 40 year old lens designed for 35mm film on a modern, small sensor compact. It sucks.

Have to agree here... these pictures don't do justice for the V1 or the Noct. Exposure and WB seems off (possibly blown red channel). I'm sure raw + some PP would make a large improvement, though...

Regardless, keep them coming.

Cheers
--
--Wyatt
http://photos.digitalcave.ca
All images (c) unless otherwise specified, please ask me before editing.

The Big One's gear list:The Big One's gear list
Nikon D60 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
Luke Kaven
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,084
Like?
Re: Poor performance
In reply to Poweruser, Dec 3, 2011

Poweruser wrote:

All of the 1.2 lenses except the noct 58/1.2 are very soft wide open. This is not an aperture for people who want sharp pictures, but for people who want one hair in focus. By all reports, though, the lens performs very well from f/2 on.

There are quite a few 40 year old Nikkors that I would use on anything. The 105/2.5, the 28/2, the 180/2.8 ED/AI, and the 58/1.2 (if you can afford it) come to mind. Even the cheap 75-150/3.5 E is an enduring classic of optical design.

adech
Regular MemberPosts: 413
Like?
In reply to Johannes Zander, Dec 4, 2011

how did you get it to work? I thought there was no shoot without lens option?

thx

Johannes Zander wrote:

Just received my all mechanical adapter for my V1. So I made a quick walk to the Christmas Market.

Here are some results, unaltered JPG, auto WB, on some the exposure is off.

This is the setup:

Alain x
Regular MemberPosts: 144Gear list
Like?
In reply to adech, Dec 4, 2011

The V1 can only shoot in M Mode with any non-One lens.
You have no focus assist, and no light metering.

You have to adjust manually the aperture ring, and the speed can be adjusted manually via the upper lever.
See here for more examples :
https://picasaweb.google.com/101437017463371815854/VieuxOne#5680729302772951666

I have only an FG-One adapter, and 3 FD lenses, so far

Alain x's gear list:Alain x's gear list
Nikon Df
adech
Regular MemberPosts: 413
Like?
In reply to Alain x, Dec 5, 2011

its a pitty there is no Aperture Priority mode but thx muxh you saved my day!

Alain x wrote:

The V1 can only shoot in M Mode with any non-One lens.
You have no focus assist, and no light metering.

You have to adjust manually the aperture ring, and the speed can be adjusted manually via the upper lever.
See here for more examples :
https://picasaweb.google.com/101437017463371815854/VieuxOne#5680729302772951666

I have only an FG-One adapter, and 3 FD lenses, so far

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads