Exposure compensation in Manual mode?

Started Nov 23, 2011 | Discussions
Pit123
Regular MemberPosts: 324
Like?
Exposure compensation in Manual mode?
Nov 23, 2011

Hi
For birding with 7D, I like to keep control of both shutter and F number.
So the M mode is nice in combination with Auto ISO.

However, sometimes I would like to, very quickly, be able to compensate the exposre a step or two by rising or lowering the ISO.
Any idea how to do this quickly without moving away from M mode?

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bruce Miller
Senior MemberPosts: 2,340
Like?
Re: Exposure compensation in Manual mode?
In reply to Pit123, Nov 23, 2011

By changing the shutter speed or aperture.

Pit123 wrote:

Hi

However, sometimes I would like to, very quickly, be able to compensate the exposre a step or two by rising or lowering the ISO.

-- hide signature --

Bruce

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Endrick Man
Regular MemberPosts: 495
Like?

Very simple, adjust the shutter speed or aperature to achieve the adjustment that you want!

wardmartin
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?

I understand what you mean. Effectively you want to create an ISO priority mode by setting the shutter speed and aperture but then use auto ISO. Then you're wanting to exposure compensate?

Changing the shutter speed or aperture won't help as others have suggested because the camera will use the auto iso to balance the exposure. Unfortunately though there's no way around this. The only thing you can do is set the ISO manually and then adjust either shutter or aperture to get the amount of compensation you need. Auto iso just isn't sophisticated enough yet.

Keith Z Leonard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,354Gear list
Like?
In reply to wardmartin, Nov 23, 2011

It's not ISO priority, but just the opposite, as the only thing you are NOT controlling is the ISO. I sympathize as I've been in the same situation, it's unfortunate that it takes so long to set the ISO manually after taking the Auto-ISO shot.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
wardmartin
Like?
In reply to Keith Z Leonard, Nov 23, 2011

Sorry my bad phrasing. I suppose I more meant an aperture+shutter priority where the camera automates iso in order to control exposure.

My point remains though that you can't exp comp for auto iso, you have to set all three exposure parameters manually to achieve this.

Pit123
Like?
In reply to Pit123, Nov 24, 2011

Thanks for replies! I understand there is no quick function built in for this.

To switch from auto ISO to manual and then select proper iso is just to slow and cumbersome.

I think it would be a good idea to implement exposure compensation in M mode by using the joystick.
One step to right could rise the iso one step above "correct" ISO and so on.
This way I will have total control of shutter+aperture+exposure .

I honestly cant understand why no other 7D shooters out there miss this function.

Jaims
Senior MemberPosts: 2,071Gear list
Like?

Pit123 wrote:

I honestly cant understand why no other 7D shooters out there miss this function.

There has been at least 1 thread (I seem to remember that it was in the 1d-5d forum) on this exact topic.
If I'm right, there is some Nikons that have these feature (?).

All in all, many ppl think that exposure compensation when on M mode (+auto ISO) would be a nice addition to Canon cams.

Regards

Jaims's gear list:Jaims's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +9 more
schmegg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,210
Like?

Pit123 wrote:

Oh - many do, believe me! (myself included)

Vigy
Regular MemberPosts: 482
Like?

The mode you are looking for is called AV.
--
Be Happy, Vigy
My Gallery at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rotemvigy/

ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,764
Like?

Pit123 wrote:

Hi

there are 2 threads on this topic, first was maxed out at 150 posts, second was around 100 posts.

long story short, it cant be done but it doesnt matter as much as you think, a lot of the iso adjustments are software anyway, which you can easily do yourself in post. and actual IQ difference within 1 stop between real iso and pushed iso is pretty small that you cant tell most of the time.

wardmartin
Like?

Is it that hard to switch from Auto ISO to a manual ISO on the 7D?

On the 60D it's just a quick press of the ISO button and dial in the desired setting. Auto is just one notch under ISO 100. I don't even need to look away from the view finder.

I'm surprised that it's not that easy on all the Canons with a top LCD.

CameraCarl
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,349Gear list
Like?
In reply to wardmartin, Nov 24, 2011

I can't understand why it is so challenging to change the shutter speed or the aperture when the light changes. The controls are right under your fingertip. Three clicks adjust one stop. Check your exposure and shoot away until the light changes again. Otherwise Av and/orTv work quite well.

CameraCarl's gear list:CameraCarl's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Pit123
Like?

wardmartin wrote:

On the 60D it's just a quick press of the ISO button and dial in the desired setting. Auto is just one notch under ISO 100. I don't even need to look away from the view finder.

No, its very cumbersome. Once you push the iso button you have no control with the exposure when you step through the iso steps. I guess it works the same way on 60D?

Pit123
Like?
In reply to Vigy, Nov 24, 2011

Vigy wrote:

The mode you are looking for is called AV.

Sorry, but your comment indicate you have no clue about what we talk about here.

Be Happy, Vigy
My Gallery at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rotemvigy/

schmegg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,210
Like?

wardmartin wrote:

No - it's just as easy on the 7D.

As ultimitsu said - all this has been discussed ad-infinitum in other threads.

Some people would really value the addition of this feature. Others, like ulti, don't think it's a big deal, and there are yet others who simply can't understand the issue at all.

I think it boils down to what you shoot and how much creative control you'd like to have over the process.

Landscape, portrait and studio shooters will never understand this issue. BIF'ers and airshow enthusiasts will.

For the target market of a camera such as the 7D, considering all the other competing bodies have this ability, it's a bit of an oversight by Canon. Of that there is no doubt.

Pit123
Like?
In reply to CameraCarl, Nov 24, 2011

CameraCarl wrote:

I can't understand why it is so challenging to change the shutter speed or the aperture when the light changes. The controls are right under your fingertip. Three clicks adjust one stop. Check your exposure and shoot away until the light changes again. Otherwise Av and/orTv work quite well.

Often I dont want to change the shutter speed or aperture.

For example when I use the slowest shutter speed to just freeze movements and not want to increase iso more than necessary. At the same time, I dont want to move away from the lens aperture sweet point or change DOF. So in this case, I can only play with ISO.

But if the object (bird) is against a light backround, I need to compensate the exposure. Then I meet this problem.

wardmartin
Like?

No, its very cumbersome. Once you push the iso button you have no control with the exposure when you step through the iso steps. I guess it works the same way on 60D?

I've had a look and see what you mean. Once you press 'ISO' then both the back wheel and top wheel change the ISO.

The 60d always shows the ISO that is being selected automatically (I guess the 7D does too?) so if you use this as a starting point and then go say higher for over exposing (as long as you don't change any other parameters) it's not too bad.

I see what you mean though, it isn't the easiest thing to do especially if you're shooting fast moving subject in changeable conditions. Hopefully Canon will think to rectify this soon.

Pit123
Like?

Pit123 wrote:

CameraCarl wrote:

Often I dont want to change the shutter speed or aperture.

For example when I use the slowest shutter speed to just freeze movements and not want to increase iso more than necessary. At the same time, I dont want to move away from the lens aperture sweet point or change DOF. So in this case, I can only play with ISO.

But if the object (bird) is against a light backround, I need to compensate the exposure. Then I meet this problem.

Agree - thanks. Maybe 7D MK2?

Maybe some other birders can tell me how they deal with this?
M-mode + Auto iso + Spot metering?

Pit123
Like?

wardmartin wrote:

I've had a look and see what you mean. Once you press 'ISO' then both the back wheel and top wheel change the ISO.

The 60d always shows the ISO that is being selected automatically (I guess the 7D does too?) so if you use this as a starting point and then go say higher for over exposing (as long as you don't change any other parameters) it's not too bad.

No, 7D doesn't show you the ISO that is being selected automatically, once to press the ISO button. In fact, you have no idea about the starting point!
60D is obviously better handling this.

I see what you mean though, it isn't the easiest thing to do especially if you're shooting fast moving subject in changeable conditions. Hopefully Canon will think to rectify this soon.

Yeah...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads