Automatic AF Microadjust Software

Started Nov 23, 2011 | Discussions
Franz Kerschbaum
Regular MemberPosts: 174Gear list
Like?
Automatic AF Microadjust Software
Nov 23, 2011

See what I found on the net. Turns out to work quite well on my 5DII. It takes some time but makes the calibration process automatic!

http://www.reikan.co.uk/photography/blog/?p=1489#more-1489

Seems to be a beta version but already quite stable. Had one crash.

Nevertheless in most cases I was already close with my numbers for
my 24, 35, 50, 85, 135 and 70-200 L lenses...

Good luck!

Franz Kerschbaum's gear list:Franz Kerschbaum's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +1 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
AlterHase
Regular MemberPosts: 112Gear list
Like?
Re: Automatic AF Microadjust Software
In reply to Franz Kerschbaum, Nov 23, 2011

Yep. Found it yesterday from another thread on DPR. Downloaded version 0.7 (the currently latest) and had a go with my 7D and the 17-55, 55-250, and 100-400L zooms and my 28, 50, 85 primes.

I like the general approach and that it verifies minimum light levels as well as target placement.

The software in its current version seems to demand exclusive access to the camera (e.g. not having the EOS Utility running at the same time) or it will crash. Also, it seems to be a good idea to shut down the program when changing lenses as I had crashes otherwise.

After running the program with the camera attached to the computer I find my camera needs a power cycle to be usable again - otherwise any button press on the camera will cause a "busy" on the top LCD. As documented the program fiddles with a small list of settings and you might need to adjust them back to your liking (e.g. I had the mirror lockup still set).

The program seems to improve results and gives reasonable new MFMA settings that were not too far off my manually determined ones - except for my 50mm f/1.4 prime where the program wanted to set MFMA to +20 from my current -2. The sceenshots of the target displayed did not show a visible improvement to my eye. I wonder if the program has trouble with a generally accepted soft lens at fully open aperture...

Overall very promising!

AlterHase's gear list:AlterHase's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wcrosman
Contributing MemberPosts: 833
Like?
Franz Kerschbaum
Like?
In reply to AlterHase, Nov 23, 2011

The 50/1.4 was also my only lens were I had to repeat the procedure twice to arive at good values. Maybe here the repeatability is less good... With my 5DII I had only

one crash. Tonight I'll test my 7D! In general its a perfect approach! I wonder if something similar could be done within the camera using an automated procedure comparing live view contrast and phase focus measurements... A future camera could do this on any target in an automatic way!

Franz

madmezza
Regular MemberPosts: 141
Like?

Hi

I'm the author of the software. Glad it's working well for you. I've just replaced the image analysis calculations with some completely different code which should be more reliable (and does appear to be more consistent in my testing), as well as changed the target (which was causing some problems).

The latest version is available here: http://www.lenscal.co.uk

The registration code/installation instructions/download etc. is all on that page.

Let me know if you've got any other feedback

Cheers

Rich

-- hide signature --
Marek1977
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
In reply to madmezza, Nov 23, 2011

Hi,

I would like to know what would be the correct distance for my 24-105mm f4 L lens?
Thank you,
Marek

quadrox
Senior MemberPosts: 1,011Gear list
Like?
In reply to madmezza, Nov 24, 2011

I'm hoping to find time to try out the software during the next weekend, but thanks in advance for the effort. I will also gladly hit the donate button if I find the software actually useful

Now if only it would be possible to create a Linux version...

quadrox's gear list:quadrox's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM +2 more
Franz Kerschbaum
Like?
In reply to Marek1977, Nov 24, 2011

I did all my zooms (24-105 and 70-200) at the longest setting. But with the automatic software one can give different settings a try. For the 24-105 I also tried 50 and the correction was the same. As said earlier my only problematic lens is the 50/1.4. I

dont find repeatable solutions for both the 5dII and the 7D. Here I left my "handmeasured" setting. All my other lenses (and I have quite a lot) show
very constent values within 1 or 2 steps from my "handmeasured" ones.

FRanz

madmezza
Like?
In reply to Franz Kerschbaum, Dec 13, 2011

For anyone interested, I'm gathering people for a final beta test of the FoCal automatic AF microadjustment software. Have a look here for details:

http://www.fo-cal.co.uk/beta.html

Thanks

Rich

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm Finepix F30
Regular MemberPosts: 199
Like?
Microadjust for Rebels? - Re: Automatic AF Microadjust Software
In reply to madmezza, Dec 14, 2011

Hi, does this program work with Canon dSLR's without microadjust feature (1000d, 1100d, 500d, 550d, 600d, 60d)? Canon has intentionally crippled the XXd line by removing the microadjust feature from the 50d and coming up with a new 60d without that feature. I presume the main purpose is to 'force' buyers with front/back focusing third party lenses to upgrade their cameras to the more expensive 7d or a full frame model instead or for them to buy Canon lenses only.

Don

madmezza
Like?
Re: Microadjust for Rebels? - Re: Automatic AF Microadjust Software
In reply to Fujifilm Finepix F30, Dec 14, 2011

There is a chance it will work with cameras that don't support AFMA, but it's dependant on how Canon have disabled the feature. If it's disabled purely by hiding the option in the camera's user interface, then it might still work when controlled from the SDK.

If I can get a 60D to try it on, I will have a go...

-- hide signature --
hotdog321
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,088
Like?

Thanks for this! I use a couple of 5DII professionally. Hope to try this out on a variety of lenses in a couple of days when things slow down a bit. Great concept!

mevbo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,088Gear list
Like?

madmezza wrote:

Hi

I'm the author of the software. Glad it's working well for you. I've just replaced the image analysis calculations with some completely different code which should be more reliable (and does appear to be more consistent in my testing), as well as changed the target (which was causing some problems).

The latest version is available here: http://www.lenscal.co.uk

The registration code/installation instructions/download etc. is all on that page.

Let me know if you've got any other feedback

Cheers

Rich

I try to download by clicking software template and get page not found. Am I missing something?

-- hide signature --
 mevbo's gear list:mevbo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 2x III Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +2 more
dherzstein
Senior MemberPosts: 2,636Gear list
Like?
In reply to mevbo, Dec 14, 2011

mevbo wrote:

I try to download by clicking software template and get page not found. Am I missing something?

I could not find a download link. I suspect that the developer is getting close to an official release and would like to control its distribution.

I'm very interested in trying the software.
--
-Dave
http://pixseal.com

dherzstein's gear list:dherzstein's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +10 more
Greg Lavaty
Contributing MemberPosts: 878
Like?
In reply to dherzstein, Dec 14, 2011

It looked very exciting to me until I saw the bit about it being a > $3500 piece of software. For that kind of money I think most people could ship all their cameras and lenses in to Canon and have them professionally calibrated and still come out ahead.

Greg

Steve Balcombe
Forum ProPosts: 10,610
Like?
In reply to Greg Lavaty, Dec 15, 2011

Greg Lavaty wrote:

It looked very exciting to me until I saw the bit about it being a > $3500 piece of software. For that kind of money I think most people could ship all their cameras and lenses in to Canon and have them professionally calibrated and still come out ahead.

Yes, that made me do a double-take too. I think he means the 50 copies are worth $3500 in total. But $70 for a simple utility, which merely automates what we can already do for free, is somewhat overoptimistic.

In any case, if it's not thoroughly protected by patents I wouldn't be surprised to find a similar capability built into a future version of EOS Utilities, for free.

Sorry to be a wet blanket.

Greg Lavaty
Like?
In reply to Steve Balcombe, Dec 15, 2011

Yes, I hadn't thought of it that way but it makes a lot more sense that the 3500 would be the value of all the copies. I agree $70 seems a bit high but not the mind blow that I had when I first read the site!

Greg

dherzstein
Senior MemberPosts: 2,636Gear list
Like?
In reply to Greg Lavaty, Dec 15, 2011

Greg Lavaty wrote:

.. I agree $70 seems a bit high but not the mind blow that I had when I first read the site!

I think the 50 copies (£70 each) are the "pro" software. 2 other sub- products are also discussed.
--
-Dave
http://pixseal.com

dherzstein's gear list:dherzstein's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +10 more
Greg Lavaty
Like?
In reply to Franz Kerschbaum, Jan 22, 2012

A friend of mine just purchased this software and as it sounded pretty interesting from what I read about it I decided to go see how he was doing with it. Unfortunately all the copy protection/product registration that is required for it was so tedious that we never got to actually see the software work. It also looks like you have to register the serial number of any camera you want to work with the software though I am not 100% sure of that because we never got that far into the install process.

After what I experienced so far with the installation I would say my current opinion is that this software isn’t worth all the hassle. I can understand the author of it not wanting to lose sales to piracy but wow this just seems way overboard to me.

Greg

mevbo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,088Gear list
Like?
In reply to Greg Lavaty, Jan 22, 2012

Greg Lavaty wrote:

A friend of mine just purchased this software and as it sounded pretty interesting from what I read about it I decided to go see how he was doing with it. Unfortunately all the copy protection/product registration that is required for it was so tedious that we never got to actually see the software work. It also looks like you have to register the serial number of any camera you want to work with the software though I am not 100% sure of that because we never got that far into the install process.

After what I experienced so far with the installation I would say my current opinion is that this software isn’t worth all the hassle. I can understand the author of it not wanting to lose sales to piracy but wow this just seems way overboard to me.

Greg

Wow,

This was totaly not my experience. If you did pay for the software, the author would be happy to help you troubleshoot. That being said, yes you have to give the serials of up to 5 bodies and he sends you a registration code that allows them to connect. You can also change these in the future if you upgrade your body. My installation was smooth, just copy and paste the email you get for buying a copy and hit go. Nothing tedious to it at all. ?

mevbo's gear list:mevbo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 2x III Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads