Which 70-300? Sigma or Tamron?

Started Nov 22, 2011 | Discussions
pixpeeper
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
Which 70-300? Sigma or Tamron?
Nov 22, 2011

Hi,
I'm a canon user but I need advice for my niece who has a Nikon D3000.

We'd like to get her a tele-zoom for Christmas but can't really afford the Nikon.
So, the choice is between the Sigma f4-5.6 DG OS vs the Tamron 4-5.6 Di VC USD.

Price is similar, I've had sigma lenses before and what quite pleased with them but I've heard good things about Tamron too so... If any would like to share their views, you're more than welcome!

Nikon D3000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
kormendi_adam
Contributing MemberPosts: 872Gear list
Like?
Re: Which 70-300? Sigma or Tamron?
In reply to pixpeeper, Nov 22, 2011

What first comes to my mind is...

• Is the Nikon significantly more expensive than the third party alternatives? I do not know Sigma/Tamron prices but the Nikon 70-300 is not an expensive lens, it costs around 500 dollars new.

• If yes, take a look at more affordable second-hand copies of Nikon

• If you want to buy him a new Nikon tele lens, consider the 55-200 also. It has very good reputation and excellent price/quality ratio. It definitely must be cheaper than the 70-300.

• I somehow rather stay away from third-party glass, because I have read many reported problems (e.g. body and flash not communicate properly with lens...etc).

kormendi_adam's gear list:kormendi_adam's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cary smith
Senior MemberPosts: 1,596
Like?

How much $$$ is the Tamron/Sigma?

A well know internet seller, name "Ad....a", has the NIKON 55-300 VR on sale for $250 and/or the 55-200 for $150.

cary

intruder61
Senior MemberPosts: 2,587Gear list
Like?

if you go over to Nikoncafe, they have a dedicated thread on the Tamron 70-300 VC....general consensus is that it is better, quicker AF than the Nikon, and the VC is a whole lot better than Nikons VR.

pixpeeper wrote:

Hi,
I'm a canon user but I need advice for my niece who has a Nikon D3000.

We'd like to get her a tele-zoom for Christmas but can't really afford the Nikon.
So, the choice is between the Sigma f4-5.6 DG OS vs the Tamron 4-5.6 Di VC USD.

Price is similar, I've had sigma lenses before and what quite pleased with them but I've heard good things about Tamron too so... If any would like to share their views, you're more than welcome!

Brev00
Senior MemberPosts: 5,599Gear list
Like?
In reply to pixpeeper, Nov 23, 2011

I have the Tamron vc with a D90. Love it. Fast and precise af, excellent image stabilization, pleasing bokeh. I can't speak to the Sigma version. Good luck!
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +2 more
Andy Cam
Regular MemberPosts: 276
Like?
In reply to Brev00, Nov 23, 2011

Hi ,
First I gotta say, beware of fanboy responses on this forum.
I have used the NIKON & Sigma.

The NIKON lens should be illegal. Firstly, it is so soft at the 300mm end. Secondly, widest aperture is closer.to f8 than 5.6. So, for a NIKON 70-200 f8 its a good lens!!! For a 70-300 f5.6 its false advertising.

The sigma is a better lens all-round, but terrible build quality.
If I were you id try the tamron out.

stevef1961
Senior MemberPosts: 1,072
Like?
In reply to Andy Cam, Nov 23, 2011

I would scrape together the difference and buy the Nikon. One great, affordable, lens!

-- hide signature --

Digetydog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,159Gear list
Like?
In reply to kormendi_adam, Nov 26, 2011

So basically, you have no experience with the lenses he asked about? You have only "read" about problems.

I went with the Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC despite the fact it costs almost exactly the same as the Nikon 70-300mm VR. Why? I tried both of them and was impressed with its performance. Not sure it is actually better than the Nikon (as per many reviews I found before buying the Tamron), but I don't feel I gave up ANY performance. No sacrifice at all and I love the lightning quick AF.

While every lens made by a 3rd party isn't a winner, all of them have a few models that are outstanding and/or fill a niche that Nikon can't touch at a reasonable price/weight.

kormendi_adam wrote:

What first comes to my mind is...

• Is the Nikon significantly more expensive than the third party alternatives? I do not know Sigma/Tamron prices but the Nikon 70-300 is not an expensive lens, it costs around 500 dollars new.

• If yes, take a look at more affordable second-hand copies of Nikon

• If you want to buy him a new Nikon tele lens, consider the 55-200 also. It has very good reputation and excellent price/quality ratio. It definitely must be cheaper than the 70-300.

• I somehow rather stay away from third-party glass, because I have read many reported problems (e.g. body and flash not communicate properly with lens...etc).

Digetydog's gear list:Digetydog's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +3 more
Hansa Yindee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,803Gear list
Like?
In reply to stevef1961, Nov 26, 2011

There is reconditioned 70-300VR Nikkor's at very reasonable prices.
I think KEH had them for around $370 +or-.

I have used one ever since they first came out and it is enjoyable to use.
Shooting in America, Laos, Cambodia and rural Thailand where I work and live.

My shooting partner has a Sigma 70-300 mounted on a D80 and when
we compare shots the Nikkor wins every time. Recently his lens has
finally died mechanically, sad but true.

Most of the work is done shooting wild monkeys under a triple canopy
jungle just down the road from my home. There is a set just for this
lens in my flickr account, easy to find. Good luck in your search ..;-)
--
Jon in Thailand

http://www.flickr.com/photos/af2899/

Hansa Yindee's gear list:Hansa Yindee's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +9 more
Chris De Schepper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,113Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hansa Yindee, Nov 27, 2011

have a look here http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests .
The Tamron lens should be better than the Sigma. I am happy with my

Nikon 70-300VR, but the Tamron should be equally good, so if it is cheaper.......

pixpeeper
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
In reply to Chris De Schepper, Nov 27, 2011

Thanks for all the replies. It seems that the Nikon is about the canon 70-300 I used to have. Great build qlty, nice enough colors but quite soft at the long end.

So even if the price difference is minimal, once again, my teenage niece has a limited budget and it sounds like the Tamron is a winner!
I have no idea where to get a reconditioned lens in France...
Thanks.

Chris De Schepper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,113Gear list
Like?
In reply to pixpeeper, Nov 27, 2011

since you live in France , have a look here, good prices and the company has a good reputation. The price is with a filter included !

http://www.numipixel.com/boutique/fiche_produit.cfm?ref=35619&type=2&code_lg=lg_fr&num=0

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads