EX1 vs Fuji X10.... soon.

Started Nov 20, 2011 | Discussions
peterjaena
Regular MemberPosts: 271
Like?
EX1 vs Fuji X10.... soon.
Nov 20, 2011

My new toy has arrived, and will be doing some tests vs our beloved EX1 in the coming days.... hopefully I can find the time.

From my initial tests, the X10 is all that they say it is.... really gorgeous camera, feels very very solid, the manual zoom is silky smooth, and the viewfinder is made of glass elements, really nice to use. Camera is responsive, almost feels like actually using an old film range finder, hehe. Can't wait to do more shots with it. I'll post my findings in this thread.

Fujifilm X10 Samsung TL500 (EX1)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jj74e
Senior MemberPosts: 1,633
Like?
Re: EX1 vs Fuji X10.... soon.
In reply to peterjaena, Nov 21, 2011

peterjaena wrote:

My new toy has arrived, and will be doing some tests vs our beloved EX1 in the coming days.... hopefully I can find the time.

From my initial tests, the X10 is all that they say it is.... really gorgeous camera, feels very very solid, the manual zoom is silky smooth, and the viewfinder is made of glass elements, really nice to use. Camera is responsive, almost feels like actually using an old film range finder, hehe. Can't wait to do more shots with it. I'll post my findings in this thread.

nice picture. I have to say that I do like the look of hte X10 better, and given its older sensor, I think the x10 will have the ex1 beat in iq as well.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
peterjaena
Like?

While I'm waiting for the battery to charge.... (my EX1 is waiting as well)... I took the time to take some product shots of my new X10. hehe

Veducci
Contributing MemberPosts: 752Gear list
Like?

Sweet looking camera !

peterjaena
Like?

Initial results..... EX1 holds it's own against my X10!

I need to properly setup my X10, since I have not shot with it yet. But initial results are that the image quality on both my X10 and EX1 are almost at par with each other. It's gonna take me to do real controlled environments to really see a difference. So far just shooting around the house at same subjects at the same time. I must say our EX1 can really hold it's own!!!

1 thing i noticed right off the bat is the X10's snappier response. It just feels alot faster than the EX1. I can go click click click and not wait for anything. LCD is also super nice, sharp and contrasty. but is smaller at 2.7in compared to our EX1's 3in display.

I'll be doing more tests after I properly setup, and figure out the X10's shooting moods.... yup, moods, hehe. not mode.

snake_b
Senior MemberPosts: 4,680
Like?
In reply to jj74e, Nov 21, 2011

It's not about how old it is always. If that was the case, the Pentax K5, with its "old" sensor, would not have earned marks higher in many crucial areas than even the fullframe pro Nikons.

jj74e wrote:

peterjaena wrote:

nice picture. I have to say that I do like the look of hte X10 better, and given its older sensor, I think the x10 will have the ex1 beat in iq as well.

snake_b
Like?

It would not surprise me if the cams in this class doesn't give up too much to the x10. However, the biggest claims are being made about dynamic range and high ISO performance. That is where the real technical test will be. From there, the rest is all about the experience.

peterjaena wrote:

Initial results..... EX1 holds it's own against my X10!

I need to properly setup my X10, since I have not shot with it yet. But initial results are that the image quality on both my X10 and EX1 are almost at par with each other. It's gonna take me to do real controlled environments to really see a difference. So far just shooting around the house at same subjects at the same time. I must say our EX1 can really hold it's own!!!

1 thing i noticed right off the bat is the X10's snappier response. It just feels alot faster than the EX1. I can go click click click and not wait for anything. LCD is also super nice, sharp and contrasty. but is smaller at 2.7in compared to our EX1's 3in display.

I'll be doing more tests after I properly setup, and figure out the X10's shooting moods.... yup, moods, hehe. not mode.

sixfootzero
Regular MemberPosts: 467
Like?

peterjaena wrote:

While I'm waiting for the battery to charge.... (my EX1 is waiting as well)... I took the time to take some product shots of my new X10. hehe

Great shot! Makes me want to pick it up that handsome little camera and give it a try.

AllanRinggaard
Regular MemberPosts: 132
Like?

I´ll keep my eye on this thread

And as usually, i´ll expect nothing but nice pictures coming from you, even from a Fuji
--
Best Regards
Allan Ringgaard

http://www.allanringgaard.dk

AllanRinggaard
Regular MemberPosts: 132
Like?
In reply to AllanRinggaard, Nov 21, 2011

Something is wrong with the characters in my post, so let me try to speel it in another way "I will".

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Allan Ringgaard

http://www.allanringgaard.dk

filibuster
Senior MemberPosts: 2,696
Like?
Allan
In reply to AllanRinggaard, Nov 21, 2011

Not just yours Allan. I’ve noticed this in a lot of threads since DPR completed their so called necessary maintenance. Seems to throw a wobbly every time an apostrophe is used.
--
Quote hhgttg: Life is wasted on the living.
filibuster (Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, UK)
http://picasaweb.google.com/scenic.filibuster

ThorKre
Regular MemberPosts: 215
Like?
Just wish the EX1 had a better jpeg engine...

...I was set on the X10, but there were too many posts regarding quality control (dust in lens, in ovf, on sensor) and sensor issues (strange white orbs around lights under certain conditions) for a camera priced like this.

I'm horrible at post processing, can I get nice, sharp and vivid jpegs out of the EX1's raws just with presets and batch converting?

Can't believe a giant like Samsung, one of the best manufacturers regarding smartphone camera image quality (= jpeg), is so much behind with their in-camera processing.

phototransformations
Senior MemberPosts: 2,734Gear list
Like?
Re: Just wish the EX1 had a better jpeg engine...
In reply to ThorKre, Nov 21, 2011

Yes, you can get great looking JPEGs by processing the RAW files in ACR or Lightroom.

For best results in ACR, take a shot at each ISO and tweak it in ACR to your desired preferences (sharpness, noise reduction, etc.) and then tell ACR to save this as the default for this camera and this ISO. Once you'd "tuned" ACR this way, then you can batch process your EX1 RAW files and these settings will be applied to each shot automatically, producing JPEGs that are significantly better than the ones produced in camera. I'm assuming Lightroom has a similar way to save presets and have them automatically applied. Check the Preferences or Options screens in whichever program you use.

phototransformations's gear list:phototransformations's gear list
Samsung TL500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +22 more
Stelyn
Contributing MemberPosts: 790Gear list
Like?

peterjaena wrote:

The x10 looks to be a fantastic camera, please keep us informed, thanks for posting.

I'm actually quite shocked at how well fuji have done with cramming so much in, it looks, practically, the same size as the ex1 and the Olympus. Can you confirm?

Stelyn's gear list:Stelyn's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD450 Samsung NX10 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +3 more
ThorKre
Regular MemberPosts: 215
Like?
Thanks, appreciated! nt
In reply to phototransformations, Nov 21, 2011

no text here

peterjaena
Like?
In reply to peterjaena, Nov 22, 2011

Unscientific test shots comparisons......

Dimensions:

Low light Macro (ISO 400)

Low light Macro (ISO 1600)

Color Rendition (ISO 100)

Conclusion so far: The image quality on both is very very close, with the X10's ISO 1600 JPGs being the biggest difference above. Lower ISO, up to 400. Both cameras outputs are very similiar.

Veducci
Contributing MemberPosts: 752Gear list
Like?

The EX1 looks sharper or better focussed (carpet under balls )unless it's a difference of dof. But that is probably meaningless.

Regardless if one has the edge or not , in the real world of actual use these 2 cameras and most other similar competitors would be hard to tell apart.
I enjoy these comparisons better than Dpreviews samples.
Thanks for sharing.

ac146
Regular MemberPosts: 282Gear list
Like?

Hi!
Interesting comparison.

The shots taken by the EX1 do appear sharper (to my eye), however I was quite surprised in the colour differences.

BTW; surprised how much smaller the flash appears on the Fuiji. Its smaller than the EX1. And I thought the EX1's flash was small already.

Thanks for the test.

Nova Scotia, Canada

ac146's gear list:ac146's gear list
Samsung TL500
snake_b
Like?
In reply to ac146, Nov 22, 2011

Thanks for that. It appears to me that the difference at 1600 is way less than I expected.

Is there any way you could shoot some sort of darker room or any other setting that might approximate a concert at a small, dark club? That's where one of the biggest differences will matter to me and some others.

peter42y
Senior MemberPosts: 2,141Gear list
Like?
In reply to snake_b, Nov 22, 2011

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Fuji X10 seems to be a nice camera indeed.
When it does come to dynamic range I believe the x10 does beat the samsung.
Can you post some pictures shot with the 2 cameras ? Thank You.

peter42y's gear list:peter42y's gear list
Ricoh Caplio R8 Canon ELPH 500 HS RX100 III Canon EOS M
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads