Do you shut your camera off before changing lenses ?

Started Nov 18, 2011 | Discussions
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,916Gear list
Like?
Do you shut your camera off before changing lenses ?
Nov 18, 2011

Do you always shut your camera down before changing lenses ?

The manuals say to shut them down before proceeding with the change, but I find that annoying : it slows you down even more ! So I tend ti skip it. i'm careful while changing lenses and haven't got any problem until now, but is it wise ?
--
rrr_hhh

Chas2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,190Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you shut your camera off before changing lenses ?
In reply to rrr_hhh, Nov 18, 2011

I never do, and I guess I should have read the manual more closely. No ill effects so far...

Chas2's gear list:Chas2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
FlashInThePan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,025
Like?

I think the vast majority of people don't bother about that. The manual says to turn the camera off because this is what manuals are for

I've seen it said that one should turn the camera off because otherwise the sensor maintains its charge and thus atracts dust. I think this is rubbish.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

Loga
Contributing MemberPosts: 741Gear list
Like?

I don't, and in normal circumstances I don't see the point of shutdown. But when using contiuous autofocus I would turn it off to avoid malfunctions (stopping the lens in inappropriate state?).

rrr_hhh wrote:

The manuals say to shut them down before proceeding with the change, but I find that annoying : it slows you down even more ! So I tend ti skip it. i'm careful while changing lenses and haven't got any problem until now, but is it wise ?
--
rrr_hhh

Loga's gear list:Loga's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +1 more
Sam Bennett
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,235Gear list
Like?
Never...

rrr_hhh wrote:

I've never been in the habit of turning off my cameras while changing lenses, this is no different with my MFT gear.

Sam Bennett's gear list:Sam Bennett's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
Don Schultz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,124
Like?
The contacts on a switch are made to make and break a circuit!
In reply to FlashInThePan, Nov 18, 2011

Hi Guys:
The contacts on a lens are not made to perform the duties of a switch!
Don.

Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,336Gear list
Like?
Re: Never...
In reply to Sam Bennett, Nov 18, 2011

I try to remember to do so, but don't always.

Sam Bennett wrote:

I've never been in the habit of turning off my cameras while changing lenses, this is no different with my MFT gear.

The difference is that in a DSLR, the shutter is closed and protecting the sensor when you change lenses. That's not true in an M43 camera (at least not my 2 Pannys).

For the life of me, though, I dont' know why Panasonic doesn't close the shutter when the camera powers down. That would eliminate concerns about dust while changing lenses.

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +12 more
StillHaveMyDiana
Contributing MemberPosts: 611
Like?

FlashInThePan said:

I've seen it said that one should turn the camera off because otherwise the sensor maintains its charge and thus atracts dust. I think this is rubbish.

Why do you think that's rubbish? There is a voltage drop from the top metallization to the substrate of the sensor when it is powered up. Seems logical. There is almost no capacitance in the sensor, so the voltage probably drops off in a fraction of a second when it is powered down. Also, the anti-dust sensor shake routine occurs at power-up, and the most likely time for dust to settle on the sensor is during a lens change.

It's great that modern photo equipment is so evolved that we are reduced to debating on-off switch use!

StillHaveMyDiana
Contributing MemberPosts: 611
Like?
Pwer switch and shutter
In reply to Bob Meyer, Nov 18, 2011

Bob Meyer said:

For the life of me, though, I dont' know why Panasonic doesn't close the shutter when the camera powers down. That would eliminate concerns about dust while changing lenses.

Great point. Would make the power-down circuit a lot more complicated though. Right now, the switch is purely mechanical, and interrupts the power supply. Would require the switch to trigger a power-down routine that actuates the shutter close before shutting down... but makes a lot of sense.

Maybe better if the camera closed the shutter when a lens is removed. You could then re-expose the sensor if you wanted to by pressing the shutter button while the lens was still off.

baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,001Gear list
Like?
Do you close the window on a PC before pulling the SD card?
In reply to StillHaveMyDiana, Nov 18, 2011

I usually do that, but the other day I yanked it out too early. About 4 dozen images I had not yet transferred disappeared. Time for free recovery software. Recuva found 10. Zero Assumption Recovery found 140.

With the original topic, the answer is most of the time. Sometimes I push the power button and the camera was already OFF.

In addition, I wonder if pushing the mechanical lens release button doesn't also trigger a circuit that cuts power to the lens. We know that automatically shuts off live view on a PEN.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
PaulT
Forum MemberPosts: 83
Like?
In reply to StillHaveMyDiana, Nov 18, 2011

Hi, something to think about. If the camera is powered "On" then when you rotate the lens in the mount is there a state at which the contacts on the lens actually connect across two contacts on the camera mount. In fact it seems to me you would have a state at which all contacts have this short circuit during the lens rotation. What damage does this potentially do to the electronics circuits?
I try to remember to power down to camera when changing lens?
Food for thought,

RaymondR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,769Gear list
Like?

it is risk minimization advice. less chance of attracting dust if the power is off. the physics are sound - having the camera powered up does increase the chance that dust will be drawn to the sensor. will you get dust on the sensor if you don't and not if you do? who knows. but why take the chance?
--
RaymondR

RaymondR's gear list:RaymondR's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Nikon D40 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +4 more
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,474Gear list
Like?

rrr_hhh wrote:

--
rrr_hhh

This is a peculiar question for me.

I've never thought about this. I believe I change lens during camera shut down or sleep in.

Anyway, I do believe that camera shut down takes a small fraction in compare with time to change lens.
Another matter all we are forgetful, I'm included
--
MFT in progress

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Sam Bennett
Like?
Re: Never...
In reply to Bob Meyer, Nov 18, 2011

Bob Meyer wrote:
I try to remember to do so, but don't always.

Sam Bennett wrote:

The difference is that in a DSLR, the shutter is closed and protecting the sensor when you change lenses. That's not true in an M43 camera (at least not my 2 Pannys).

But so what? I know people claim that the sensor being active can attract dust to the sensor, but I've never seen a scrap of evidence to support the claim.

Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
Fredrik Glckner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,477
Like?

Some times I do, some times I don't. No problems so far.

I use the GH2.

http://m43photo.blogspot.com/

wildwilly
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297
Like?
Always
-- hide signature --

John

Semper Fi!

PatrickC
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?
In reply to PaulT, Nov 18, 2011

PaulT wrote:

Hi, something to think about. If the camera is powered "On" then when you rotate the lens in the mount is there a state at which the contacts on the lens actually connect across two contacts on the camera mount. In fact it seems to me you would have a state at which all contacts have this short circuit during the lens rotation. What damage does this potentially do to the electronics circuits?
Food for thought,

Good point, also there would be momentary contact between the wrong sets of contacts as they slide across. And in addition to electrical effects, perhaps software confusion since the software may still store some state about the previous lens.

Yohan Pamudji
Senior MemberPosts: 2,859
Like?
Yes, always

Yes, always, except when I don't But seriously I always try to although very rarely I'll be in a hurry and forget to check when the camera has gone to sleep and the screen is off. I figure even without the warning in the manual, today's cameras are so electronics-heavy and there's so much info going back and forth between body and lens that I don't want to risk temporary or permanent damage from severing that connection while the camera doesn't expect it. I would have to trust that the firmware developers put checks in the firmware to handle such disconnects gracefully, and being a programmer myself I know not to trust others to always do so. It costs me another couple of seconds in shutdown and a couple of seconds turning it back on, but that's typically not a problem.

Sam Bennett
Like?
In reply to PatrickC, Nov 18, 2011

PatrickC wrote:

PaulT wrote:

Food for thought,

Good point, also there would be momentary contact between the wrong sets of contacts as they slide across. And in addition to electrical effects, perhaps software confusion since the software may still store some state about the previous lens.

The lens release button itself is a "button" in the sense that the camera knows when you're pressing it. Cameras manufacturers know that despite what they put in the manuals, people are gonna do what they're gonna do - and people are inevitably going to change lenses with the camera on, it's just a fact of life.

Again, there's really no evidence to indicate that this is a problematic habit. If there was a risk of somehow short circuiting the camera while un-mounting it, we'd know about it by now.

mark1000
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,717
Like?
Always.
-- hide signature --

Mark.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads