Just received X100 from Amazon

Started Nov 16, 2011 | Discussions
Extract0r
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
Just received X100 from Amazon
Nov 16, 2011

Unfortunately, there is a pretty big speck of dust inside the viewfinder (under the glass, can't be cleaned) and also a defective pixel on the main LCD. What a bummer!

I'm sending this one back and will wait for a new stock.

BTW, the serial number was 13A040xx. I thought the new ones are 14Axxxxx.
Firmware was 1.11 though.

Sigh...

Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Just received X100 from Amazon
In reply to Extract0r, Nov 16, 2011

Extract0r wrote:

Unfortunately, there is a pretty big speck of dust inside the viewfinder (under the glass, can't be cleaned) and also a defective pixel on the main LCD. What a bummer!

I'm sending this one back and will wait for a new stock.

BTW, the serial number was 13A040xx. I thought the new ones are 14Axxxxx.
Firmware was 1.11 though.

Sigh...

Make sure it is really dust. I thought the same thing too when I got my X100. rotate the camera. If it moves, it is dust. If the spec doesnt move, it is an optical illusion created by the lens.

 rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Extract0r
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
Re: Just received X100 from Amazon
In reply to rattymouse, Nov 16, 2011

It is dust for sure. I can see it from both the eyepiece side and the lens side. Position doesn't change. I would keep it if this was a $200 camera. Also, the stuck pixel on the LCD bothers me too.

rattymouse wrote:

Extract0r wrote:

Unfortunately, there is a pretty big speck of dust inside the viewfinder (under the glass, can't be cleaned) and also a defective pixel on the main LCD. What a bummer!

I'm sending this one back and will wait for a new stock.

BTW, the serial number was 13A040xx. I thought the new ones are 14Axxxxx.
Firmware was 1.11 though.

Sigh...

Make sure it is really dust. I thought the same thing too when I got my X100. rotate the camera. If it moves, it is dust. If the spec doesnt move, it is an optical illusion created by the lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gava
Senior MemberPosts: 1,032
Like?
Re: Just received X100 from Amazon
In reply to Extract0r, Nov 16, 2011

Might well be that you are getting one that has already been returned.

Good luck with your next one!

-- hide signature --

Fuji X100 Fanboy #1
X100 blog -> http://peri.org.uk/wp/?tag=blog

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
James Morrison
Regular MemberPosts: 100
Like?
Re: Just received X100 from Amazon
In reply to gava, Nov 16, 2011

The downside of saving a few quid when buying from a faceless online retailer is you dont get to examine the goods at point of purchase,

Im so pleased I bought mine from my local camera store especially since having the sticking blades problem, Jessops UK sent my camera back to Fuji on my behalf and phoned me when it came back,

So much better dealing with people face to face and seeing what your buying upfront before handing over your wedge of cash.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kwa_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,363Gear list
Like?
Re: Just received X100 from Amazon
In reply to Extract0r, Nov 16, 2011

Argh. I just noticed Amazon now has them for $1163 shipped & sold by Amazon (the only way I use them). I ordered mine from B&H yesterday for $1199 + $16 shipping. Could have had it less and free 2nd day with Amazon prime. I'd been looking for weeks and finally gave in, less than 12 hours later...ooops. Oh, well. It's already been shipped and charged and the hassle of returning and buying again probably isn't worth the headache. LOL
--
-Ken
http://www.kwaphoto.com

 kwa_photo's gear list:kwa_photo's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kwa_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,363Gear list
Like?
Re: Just received X100 from Amazon
In reply to James Morrison, Nov 16, 2011

James, I agree. I tried to do that locally with Mike's Camera in Denver, CO USA, the only one who carries them around here. They were out of stock and even sold their demo unit. They sell it for the same price as B&H Photo so I would have bought it locally if it were available locally. But you are right, I like to inspect when possible. Additionally, even though B&H is a traditional brick and mortar store in NYC with a great reputation and service, there is no replacing someone locally when you need assistance.

James Morrison wrote:

The downside of saving a few quid when buying from a faceless online retailer is you dont get to examine the goods at point of purchase,

Im so pleased I bought mine from my local camera store especially since having the sticking blades problem, Jessops UK sent my camera back to Fuji on my behalf and phoned me when it came back,

So much better dealing with people face to face and seeing what your buying upfront before handing over your wedge of cash.

-- hide signature --
 kwa_photo's gear list:kwa_photo's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Extract0r
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
Re: Just received X100 from Amazon
In reply to kwa_photo, Nov 16, 2011

Could you share the first 4 digits of the serial number when you receive your camera from B&H.

I am getting very suspicious that Amazon had sent me a very old stock or a returned camera. My serial number was 13A040xx and it looks like it is not a recently produced copy.

kwa_photo wrote:

Argh. I just noticed Amazon now has them for $1163 shipped & sold by Amazon (the only way I use them). I ordered mine from B&H yesterday for $1199 + $16 shipping. Could have had it less and free 2nd day with Amazon prime. I'd been looking for weeks and finally gave in, less than 12 hours later...ooops. Oh, well. It's already been shipped and charged and the hassle of returning and buying again probably isn't worth the headache. LOL
--
-Ken
http://www.kwaphoto.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Seth Gray
Regular MemberPosts: 150Gear list
Like?
Re: Just received X100 from Amazon
In reply to Extract0r, Nov 16, 2011

I received a 14A series camera when purchasing from Amazon at end of Oct (delivered Nov 2nd or 3rd). The copy I got came with the sticky aperture blades problem almost immediately (detailed in another post). Sent back. Your experience makes me a little suspicious of Amazon, not my normal position on the online retailer...

 Seth Gray's gear list:Seth Gray's gear list
Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kwa_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,363Gear list
Like?
Re: Just received X100 from Amazon
In reply to Extract0r, Nov 16, 2011

Sure, I can do that. It should arrive Friday (late afternoon). If I forget to post it here, feel free to send me a message and I'll get it to you Was yours listed as SHIPPED & SOLD BY AMAZON? That's the only way I go, if it was a 3rd party, I too would be suspicious.

Extract0r wrote:

Could you share the first 4 digits of the serial number when you receive your camera from B&H.

I am getting very suspicious that Amazon had sent me a very old stock or a returned camera. My serial number was 13A040xx and it looks like it is not a recently produced copy.

kwa_photo wrote:

Argh. I just noticed Amazon now has them for $1163 shipped & sold by Amazon (the only way I use them). I ordered mine from B&H yesterday for $1199 + $16 shipping. Could have had it less and free 2nd day with Amazon prime. I'd been looking for weeks and finally gave in, less than 12 hours later...ooops. Oh, well. It's already been shipped and charged and the hassle of returning and buying again probably isn't worth the headache. LOL
--
-Ken
http://www.kwaphoto.com

-- hide signature --
 kwa_photo's gear list:kwa_photo's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
OregonMT
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?
Re: Just received X100 from Amazon
In reply to kwa_photo, Nov 16, 2011

I just received mine yesterday from Amazon that I purchased for $1163 and the serial number starts with 14A. I seem to have a flawless copy no dust, no defective pixels. I haven't had time to use it much but all seems fine so far. Not looking for or anticipating any problems.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Extract0r
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
Re: Just received X100 from Amazon
In reply to kwa_photo, Nov 16, 2011

It was "shipped and sold by Amazon" and I got it delivered in 2 days.

I have a replacement on the way from Amazon and it better not be a 13Axxxxx again. I ordered it ony after hearing the rumors of revised lens assembly popping up at the NJ service center hoping for a newly assembled camera with potentially built-in revised lens.

Very disappointed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Extract0r
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
Re: Just received X100 from Amazon
In reply to OregonMT, Nov 16, 2011

Man, I envy you.

I've always had bad luck with new electronic purchases.

A Sony LED LCD TV with a stuck pixel, iPad 2 with light leak, HTC smartphone with dust under the glass, a new car with a stuck pixel in the navigation screen, Garmin Nuvi with a stuck pixel, PSP with multiple stuck pixels. The list goes on and on. It must be some sort of curse.

OregonMT wrote:

I just received mine yesterday from Amazon that I purchased for $1163 and the serial number starts with 14A. I seem to have a flawless copy no dust, no defective pixels. I haven't had time to use it much but all seems fine so far. Not looking for or anticipating any problems.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
OregonMT
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?
Re: Just received X100 from Amazon
In reply to Extract0r, Nov 16, 2011

We must be related then because that is all I used to receive. I would always purchase items in store, pick a perfect box and find a damaged item inside, very frustrating. I hope your problems get resolved quickly and you can start enjoying your new camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kwa_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,363Gear list
Like?
Re: Just received X100 from Amazon
In reply to Extract0r, Nov 18, 2011

Extract0r: here are the digits as requested...14A01xxx. firmware 1.11. Wow! I'm impressed with the build quality so far

Extract0r wrote:

Could you share the first 4 digits of the serial number when you receive your camera from B&H.

I am getting very suspicious that Amazon had sent me a very old stock or a returned camera. My serial number was 13A040xx and it looks like it is not a recently produced copy.

kwa_photo wrote:

Argh. I just noticed Amazon now has them for $1163 shipped & sold by Amazon (the only way I use them). I ordered mine from B&H yesterday for $1199 + $16 shipping. Could have had it less and free 2nd day with Amazon prime. I'd been looking for weeks and finally gave in, less than 12 hours later...ooops. Oh, well. It's already been shipped and charged and the hassle of returning and buying again probably isn't worth the headache. LOL
--
-Ken
http://www.kwaphoto.com

-- hide signature --
 kwa_photo's gear list:kwa_photo's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pkincy
Contributing MemberPosts: 798
Like?
Re: Just received X100 from Amazon
In reply to kwa_photo, Dec 3, 2011

However it is very depressing that the poster above got a 14A series and it had the bad shutter quickly.

So apparently the new lens assemblies have not made it into production so far.

I have ordered twice and canceled twice due to worries about the bad lens.

On a camera with separate lenses that is not a problem. On a fixed lens camera it is a deal breaker.

I suppose I will wait for another 2 months or so.

Perry

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Extract0r
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?
Re: Just received X100 from Amazon
In reply to kwa_photo, Dec 3, 2011

Thanks kwa_photo,

My replacement from Amazon is 14A01xxx too.
No dust in the lens nor viewfinder. No dead pixels.
I've taken about 500 shots past 2 weeks and no sticky aperture problem at all.
Very happy with the purchase so far.

kwa_photo wrote:

Extract0r: here are the digits as requested...14A01xxx. firmware 1.11. Wow! I'm impressed with the build quality so far

Extract0r wrote:

Could you share the first 4 digits of the serial number when you receive your camera from B&H.

I am getting very suspicious that Amazon had sent me a very old stock or a returned camera. My serial number was 13A040xx and it looks like it is not a recently produced copy.

kwa_photo wrote:

Argh. I just noticed Amazon now has them for $1163 shipped & sold by Amazon (the only way I use them). I ordered mine from B&H yesterday for $1199 + $16 shipping. Could have had it less and free 2nd day with Amazon prime. I'd been looking for weeks and finally gave in, less than 12 hours later...ooops. Oh, well. It's already been shipped and charged and the hassle of returning and buying again probably isn't worth the headache. LOL
--
-Ken
http://www.kwaphoto.com

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads