Samsung NX200 Image Quality Question

Started Nov 15, 2011 | Discussions
syakirzainol
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
Samsung NX200 Image Quality Question
Nov 15, 2011

Hello guys,

I am a Nikon user and have been using a D700 for a few years. I am intrigued in owning a smaller system, and being to have used Pentax and having soft spot for Samsung products, I am looking at the NX200.

My question may be seems unfair, but just for a rough idea, how would you describe the difference of the IQ between the NX200 to Nikon SLR in terms of;

1) Noise till iso 3200
2) Details & resolution
3) Dynamic range

FYI, I only shoots in Neutral JPEG so I dont really care about color or sharpening straight out of camera, and I always turn the noise reduction to minimum.

Please help advise, thanks!

Nikon D700 Samsung NX200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Delos
Contributing MemberPosts: 766
Like?
Re: Samsung NX200 Image Quality Question
In reply to syakirzainol, Nov 15, 2011

In fairness, one cannot compare between the NX200 and D700. The Nikon (nee: Sony) sensor in the FULL Frame Nikon is one of the very best out there. I would suggest taking a look at the NX200 images on Flickr (there are quite a few) to make a comparison. I find that trying to understand a sensor's characteristics by listening to (sometimes dubious) online reviews is akin to buying music based on a critical review in a magazine. If you don't know the reviewer's taste, you don't know that you agree or disagree.

I've only had my NX200 for a couple of weeks and circumstances have prevented me from doing any work with it that results in prints. I believe prints are the ONLY way to evaluate the performance of a camera. I have posted in a few threads on this forum my opinions about the camera (mostly positive) and I am a Nikon user.

Good luck with your quest.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
syakirzainol
Like?
In reply to Delos, Nov 15, 2011

Thanks for the info. How do u find the NX200 IQ in terms of similarity with Nikon's APS-C slr? Are they close?

Ed_arizona
Senior MemberPosts: 1,501Gear list
Like?

I have only had my NX100 a couple o weeks and I like the colors comparable to my former NIKON D200 system...BUT detail is not quite same level as the Nikon (expected)...now I would think the NX200 is much Improved over the camera I have (which is still good)
--
Ed in Arizona

'Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.' - Albert Einstein

Ed_arizona's gear list:Ed_arizona's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D5100 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
Billx08
Forum ProPosts: 11,373
Like?

syakirzainol wrote:

Hello guys,

I am a Nikon user and have been using a D700 for a few years. I am intrigued in owning a smaller system, and being to have used Pentax and having soft spot for Samsung products, I am looking at the NX200.

My question may be seems unfair, but just for a rough idea, how would you describe the difference of the IQ between the NX200 to Nikon SLR in terms of;

1) Noise till iso 3200
2) Details & resolution
3) Dynamic range

FYI, I only shoots in Neutral JPEG so I dont really care about color or sharpening straight out of camera, and I always turn the noise reduction to minimum.

I don't have an NX200 so I can't speak about its dynamic range but DPRs new studio photos show that it's relatively noise free and has excellent resolution. The D700 isn't represented in DPR's studio photo database so I selected the D3 as a suitable stand-in for it, and the NX200 puts in a better showing at low ISO. Samsung uses too much NR for its JPEGs so by ISO 3200 the D700 shows better detail and its larger sensor is now showing slightly better color intensity, but the difference is fairly small. By ISO 6400 the NX200 has fallen farther behind in detail but it's still pretty noise free, much better than the NX100 and vastly better than PEN E-PL3 that I are selected for the other two comparator slots. I have a D700 and an NX100 but I've now added my name to an NX200 waiting list. There are several reasons for this and one is that it should greatly aid manually focusing my Nikkor lenses. With the NX100, manual focusing is pretty poor unless 2x magnification is enabled. Then it's actually pretty good and reliable, but still a hair short of the focus accuracy of Samsung's AF lenses. The NX200 adds 5x and 8x magnification so it should do as well as Samsung's AF lenses. Here are three comparator setups if you want to see how the NX200 fared against the D3. They show one area using low ISO and then ISO 3200, and finally another area (the watch face) using ISO 6400.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/studiocompare.asp#baseDir=%2Freviews_data&cameraDataSubdir=boxshot&indexFileName=boxshotindex.xml&presetsFileName=boxshotpresets.xml&showDescriptions=false&headerTitle=Studio%20scene&headerSubTitle=Standard%20studio%20scene%20comparison&masterCamera=samsung_nx200&masterSample=sam_9283&slotsCount=4&slot0Camera=samsung_nx200&slot0Sample=sam_9283&slot0DisableCameraSelection=true&slot0DisableSampleSelection=true&slot0LinkWithMaster=true&slot1Camera=nikon_d3&slot1Sample=nikond3_iso100&slot2Camera=samsung_nx100&slot2Sample=sam_0166&slot3Camera=oly_epl3&slot3Sample=p8100509&x=-0.28528087879444625&y=0.07952107787246578

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/studiocompare.asp#baseDir=%2Freviews_data&cameraDataSubdir=boxshot&indexFileName=boxshotindex.xml&presetsFileName=boxshotpresets.xml&showDescriptions=false&headerTitle=Studio%20scene&headerSubTitle=Standard%20studio%20scene%20comparison&masterCamera=samsung_nx200&masterSample=sam_9094&slotsCount=4&slot0Camera=samsung_nx200&slot0Sample=sam_9094&slot0DisableCameraSelection=true&slot0DisableSampleSelection=true&slot0LinkWithMaster=true&slot1Camera=nikon_d3&slot1Sample=nikond3_iso3200&slot2Camera=samsung_nx100&slot2Sample=sam_0183&slot3Camera=oly_epl3&slot3Sample=p8100519&x=-0.31657090624183865&y=0.11120626423718123

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/studiocompare.asp#baseDir=%2Freviews_data&cameraDataSubdir=boxshot&indexFileName=boxshotindex.xml&presetsFileName=boxshotpresets.xml&showDescriptions=false&headerTitle=Studio%20scene&headerSubTitle=Standard%20studio%20scene%20comparison&masterCamera=samsung_nx200&masterSample=sam_9099&slotsCount=4&slot0Camera=samsung_nx200&slot0Sample=sam_9099&slot0DisableCameraSelection=true&slot0DisableSampleSelection=true&slot0LinkWithMaster=true&slot1Camera=nikon_d3&slot1Sample=nikond3_iso6400&slot2Camera=samsung_nx100&slot2Sample=sam_0183&slot3Camera=oly_epl3&slot3Sample=p8100524&x=0.9517498041264038&y=-1.186810751032411

syakirzainol
Like?
In reply to Billx08, Nov 15, 2011

Hi bill,

Great to hear an opinion from a fellow d700er. I like my d700 except that the combination of it with nikkor lens is note exactly what i like to take out for family outings. The reason I asked is because while I am intrigued with the NX200 size, I dont want to lose much IQ. If it manages somehow to be closed to the d700 at iso 3200 and lower I will be very happy

Delos
Like?

I don't think you are going to lose any IQ with this camera. Keep in mind, it is a different beast than a DSLR. The biggest issue is going to be adapting to the idiosyncrasies of the camera. No viewfinder, small size, light weight, control button placement, etc., are going to be the things that make or break the camera for you. Samsung has excellent lenses that are reasonably priced. Are you shooting your family photos with the thought of blowing them up to 30 x 40 inches? Those would be SERIOUS snapshots.

My biggest complaint, at the moment, is the absence of a decent RAW converter. I rarely intentionally shoot in .jpg format.
--

'Money may buy you a fine dog, but only love can make it wag its tail.' - Kinky Friedman, musician.

syakirzainol
Like?

I dont know if I missed it, but does it come with Neutral JPEG?

Ariston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401
Like?

syakirzainol wrote:

I'm not sure what you meant by jpeg being neutral.

de_klaas
Senior MemberPosts: 1,298Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ariston, Nov 15, 2011

Ariston wrote:

syakirzainol wrote:

A 'neutral' picture style. I guess the NX200 has several picture styles as the NX11 certainly has some. Not one that's named Neutral however, but as these settings are fully customizable you should be able to get what you want. Again, assuming that the NX200 is a lot like the NX11.
--
http://www.klaastuin.nl

de_klaas's gear list:de_klaas's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Samsung NX1000 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +6 more
de_klaas
Like?
In reply to de_klaas, Nov 15, 2011

According to the NX200 manual the NX200 has the same 'Picture Wizard' settings as the NX11.
--

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Samsung NX1000 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +6 more
Ariston
Like?

de_klaas wrote:

Ariston wrote:

syakirzainol wrote:

A 'neutral' picture style. I guess the NX200 has several picture styles as the NX11 certainly has some. Not one that's named Neutral however, but as these settings are fully customizable you should be able to get what you want. Again, assuming that the NX200 is a lot like the NX11.
--

this what came to my mind since you are pretty much capable of setting the jpeg parameters. if this was about the normal setting on the picture wizard of the NX200, then I'd say the NX200 has the neutral jpeg.

de_klaas
Like?
In reply to Ariston, Nov 15, 2011

Ariston wrote:

this what came to my mind since you are pretty much capable of setting the jpeg parameters. if this was about the normal setting on the picture wizard of the NX200, then I'd say the NX200 has the neutral jpeg.

Nikon cameras have both a Normal and a Neutral picture style. The Neutral probably has less contrast, saturation and sharpening. I think the NX Normal is closer to Nikon Normal than Neutral.
--

Delos
Like?

We should just refer this guy to the Samsung web site so he can download the user manual. His questions are truly impossible to answer since the sensor, algorithms, controls, handling, everything is different. Even among Nikon products, the jpg handling is different. My main advice remains for him to visit a camera shop and get some hands on with the camera.

de_klaas
Like?

Delos wrote:

We should just refer this guy to the Samsung web site so he can download the user manual. His questions are truly impossible to answer since the sensor, algorithms, controls, handling, everything is different. Even among Nikon products, the jpg handling is different. My main advice remains for him to visit a camera shop and get some hands on with the camera.

You're probably right. And we should probably tell him that if he wants good high iso he should shoot RAW, not JPEG. The NX200 JPEG-engine seems one of it's weaker points...
--

Stelyn
Contributing MemberPosts: 790Gear list
Like?

High iOS jpeg is a weak point of the nx, but I've always thought that the low iOS jpeg is rathere good, and a strong point of the range.

The colours of the the new nx200 seem rather consistent too, and nice too, as would be expected from Samsung, tbh.

Stelyn's gear list:Stelyn's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD450 Samsung NX10 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +3 more
streetphoto
Regular MemberPosts: 260Gear list
Like?
Why compare?
In reply to syakirzainol, Nov 16, 2011

As many have said, these are very different cameras.

This is like saying, well, I like my Ford F100. It's too big to fit in small spaces in Manhattan, so I think I'm going to buy a mini-Cooper. Before I buy the Mini-Cooper, I want to be sure I can still fit a king sized mattress and dresser in it. Is this possible?

The D700 is a fantastic camera. It has low light and DR that most people would kill to have. It also has size and bulk that can kill you as well after a long day out.

The MILC cameras, of which the NX series is part of, all have outstanding image quality for what it is, and for what you give up in size.

I have used the Nikon D90, Canon 5D, Sony A850, m43, Ricoh GXR and NX cameras. I have taken great photos with all of these cameras, and have displayed photos taken with the NX100 in galleries. I've also taken incredibly bad photos with all of these cameras.

For me, the NX and the Ricoh GXR are my favorite. The NX because it is what an MILC should be - small compact, with great IQ if shot in raw to ISO 800. The pancakes really make this system. Try carrying a NEX or m43 with 16mm, 20mm, 30mm and 50-200mm lenses in 2 coat pockets...

You won't go wrong with the NX200 and some outstanding pancake primes that samsung has. and, you'll get much better photos because you'll have a camera you want to carry.

streetphoto's gear list:streetphoto's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Leica M9 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro +6 more
Delos
Like?
Re: Why compare?
In reply to streetphoto, Nov 16, 2011

Well said.

syakirzainol
Like?
In reply to streetphoto, Nov 16, 2011

Oh sorry guys, please dont misunderstood. I am in no way try to compare this with a full frame, that would be ridiculous!

Just like I mentioned, Im looking for a travel alternative to my d700 which should have similar output (not same) so that I wont feel that I miss my bigger d700. I always shoot neutral JPEG for my travel shots so that I can edit later in LR.

I can test in a shop because I havent got the chance yet. I will do that once I have the opportunity.

Ariston
Like?
In reply to syakirzainol, Nov 16, 2011

syakirzainol wrote:

Oh sorry guys, please dont misunderstood. I am in no way try to compare this with a full frame, that would be ridiculous!

Just like I mentioned, Im looking for a travel alternative to my d700 which should have similar output (not same) so that I wont feel that I miss my bigger d700. I always shoot neutral JPEG for my travel shots so that I can edit later in LR.

I can test in a shop because I havent got the chance yet. I will do that once I have the opportunity.

hello, just a suggestion. if you do edit at LR, I highly recommend that you shoot RAW rather than jpeg.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads