Best all-in-one desktop

Started Nov 14, 2011 | Discussions
SonyA77
Contributing MemberPosts: 768
Like?
Best all-in-one desktop
Nov 14, 2011

Looking to buy so can you recommend one that is NICE looking and reliable...For the looks, Sony is nice but it seems they don't have many selections anymore.

Brian OReilly
Contributing MemberPosts: 539
Like?
Re: Best all-in-one desktop
In reply to SonyA77, Nov 16, 2011

Perhaps...

An iMac and then run Windows under 'BootCamp' which is included free with the Mac OS.

You would also have the opportunity to play with and see what you think of the Mac Operating System (OSX) while you are at it

Hope this helps

Brian

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
harold1968
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,687Gear list
Like?
Dell 2320 by far
In reply to SonyA77, Nov 17, 2011

uses the same 27" IPS as the Apple imac but has better specs (e.g. i7 vs Apple i5) and 50% cheaper with latest Dell discounts

rgds

harold1968's gear list:harold1968's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Sony RX1R Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
digitalshooter
Forum ProPosts: 14,098Gear list
Like?
If you have a Frys go there they have some others (nt)
-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Digitalshooter

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,447
Like?
It's a TN Panel according to Anandtech
In reply to harold1968, Nov 17, 2011

harold1968 wrote:

uses the same 27" IPS as the Apple imac but has better specs (e.g. i7 vs Apple i5) and 50% cheaper with latest Dell discounts

According to the recent review of it at Anantech, the Dell One 2320 Touch uses a TN Panel. See the comments in the paragraph under the first photo of it on this page:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5093/dell-inspiron-one-2320-stuck-in-the-middle-with-you

But, Dell does offer a separate display that has the same panel used in the 27" iMac. it's the Dell u2711. This one:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&sku=224-8284&redirect=1

Sorry, you're not going to get a $1K display in an all-in-one that costs about the same as the display sells for separately.

-- hide signature --

JimC

The Squire
Regular MemberPosts: 275
Like?

More importantly - Buy from a shop you trust. One which will give you good after service if things go wrong.

There's nothing better or worse, really, when comparing the usual Dells, HPs, Sonys beyond price and looks. But if something does go wrong, you will want to have bought it from a store that is happy and quick to help.

In the UK I either use a large online store I've had good experiences with (such as Dabs) or the smaller, more enthusiast stores (Overclockers).

It may also be worth buying one years 'on site' support (but no more than one year) which will get you better service and cover in that critical 'burn in' phase. If something is going to go wrong, it usually happens quite early, and you dont want to be fafing around doing a return and waiting for it to come back.

There's less of them around these days, but if you have a local indi store that builds to order, have a chat with them - if you like them you'll probably get a good proce, excellent service but a 'no name' brand.

Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,697
Like?
Re: It's a TN Panel according to Anandtech
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Nov 18, 2011

Jim Cockfield wrote:

harold1968 wrote:

According to the recent review of it at Anantech, the Dell One 2320 Touch uses a TN Panel.

Also, if you want a Core i7, you can custom-configure an iMac with one of those.

Jim Cockfield
Like?
sure, for $2200
In reply to Tom_N, Nov 18, 2011

Tom_N wrote:

Also, if you want a Core i7, you can custom-configure an iMac with one of those.

What's the point?

A 27" iMac is going to weigh 30 pounds (so it's not like it;s the equivalent of a laptop), and you'd be limited as to your ability to upgrade it, and it's going to run you around $2200 with a Core i7 2600 and only 4GB of memory in it (and more of you add more than 4GB of memory).

You could pick up a very nicely equipped Dell XPS 8300 with a Core i7 2600, an even faster video card, higher wattage PSU for handling more drives, 8GB of memory and more for $899,99

For example, just upgrade the video card in this one to the Nvidia 560Ti (which tests faster than the HD 6970M in the 27" iMac) and you'd be at $979.99 and have more memory, too.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dxdwmw2&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&model_id=xps-8300

Then, take $100 off that discounted price via the latest Dell coupon codes (see techbargains.com and you'll find one good through November 30th) and you'd still be at $879.99 including a 2 year on site warranty after remote diagnostics (or get a 3 year for $79 more).

Then, use any monitor you wanted to with it and have lots of room for expansion.

I really don't understand the appeal of the all in one desktops. It's not like a separate PC takes up that much room, and you'd save money, get more "bang for the buck", and have better expandability and flexibility going with a separate PC and display.

-- hide signature --

JimC

Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,697
Like?
Re: sure, for $2200
In reply to Jim Cockfield, Nov 19, 2011

Jim Cockfield wrote:

What's the point?

A 27" iMac is going to weigh 30 pounds (so it's not like it;s the equivalent of a laptop)

The poster said they wanted an all-in-one desktop. I believe that most people understand that all-in-one desktops are heavier and more tied to AC power than laptops, but there are people who want them anyway.

As to my reply, you and I replied to the same post. You replied to correct the IPS remark; I replied to correct the implication that iMacs can only be had with i5s.

only 4GB of memory in it

The iMac takes 16 GB of RAM (according to Apple), and possibly 32 GB. Memory is user-accessible. You don't have to buy memory from Apple (and many don't).

You could pick up a very nicely equipped Dell XPS 8300 with a Core i7 2600, an even faster video card, higher wattage PSU for handling more drives, 8GB of memory and more for $899,99

Now add $1000 for the monitor. As you pointed out in this thread, the monitors that come with cheap Dells are NOT the equivalent of the 27-inch iMac monitor or the Dell U2711.

Jim Cockfield
Like?
Re: sure, for $2200
In reply to Tom_N, Nov 19, 2011

My point is that you're going to spend more for the Apple all-in-one compared to just buying a Dell XPS 8300 equipped with a video card that's faster (and even more memory), even if you buy a monitor as expensive as the Dell u2711 with the same panel as the one in the 27" iMac.

You can buy a Dell XPS 8300 with 8GB of DDR3 (more memory than the base config for the 27" iMac), a nice Nvidia GT 560ti (faster than the HD 6970m video card in the 27" iMac) for $879.99 after a $100 off coupon code now.

The 27" iMac with a Core i7 2600 and 4GB of memory runs $2199.

That's around $1300 more than the Dell costs. Even if you paid full retail for a 27" Dell U2711 using the same IPS panel to go with your Dell desktop, you'd still be spending less than you would for the iMac, and you'd have the flexibility of going with a different [lower cost] monitor if desired.

I just don't see the point of spending more to get the Apple unless you really want to run OS X.

With Dell, you can buy desktops with a Core i7 2600 starting at around $700 and use any monitor you want with them, with lots of flexibility as to how you equip them. With Apple, they start at about $2200 with a 27" display (and even if you'd rather have a different display, that's the one you get if you want a Core i7 2600).

Apple doesn't give you as many choices and you'll pay more for the same performance.

-- hide signature --

JimC

Brian OReilly
Contributing MemberPosts: 539
Like?
In reply to The Squire, Nov 19, 2011

Before we all get carried away...

I have re-read- the OP's message

OP emphasized that it had to be 'NICE looking'
I think the iMac fits that description

OP also said 'reliable'

I seem to recall that year after year Apple come top of various US Customer Satisfaction reports.

As to price - sure you can spec it up to unbelievable prices but:
iMac - in the USA starts at $1,199 including shipping.

Sure you can add all sorts of upgrades etc. - but (Jim) it starts at $1.199.

Again - hope this helps

Brian

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads